Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Come on guys... this is the warchief... this can only be good news!!

Maybe he can get them on the right path and end the spree of shite expansions. Not likely, but here is to hope.

This "excitement" says a lot about DF.

3+ Year Old Account
    Thrall's balls, he's back

Quote Originally Posted by MasterOfNone View Post
    Maybe he can get them on the right path and end the spree of shite expansions. Not likely, but here is to hope.
    DF is not shite at all, its just boring.

Neat, if nothing else he'll bring some much-needed energy back to Blizzcon.

I do wonder under what rock the people who go "He'll bring war back to warcraft! down with furries and cosmic shit!" have been hiding for close to 20 years. This man headed TBC and Mists. He's just as capable of going for "unwarcraft" things as anyone else when the mood takes him.
    It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built -Kreia

The internet: where to every action is opposed an unequal overreaction.

Quote Originally Posted by doledippers View Post
    lorewise, sure. it's hard to compete with the guy who built the universe from the ground up.
    Sure, if "from the ground up" means copying Warhammer. I appreciate Metzen, and I love the stories in earlier Warcraft material, but let's not kid ourselves.
    "stop puting you idiotic liberal words into my mouth"
    -ynnady

Quote Originally Posted by Sorrowseer View Post
    DF is not shite at all, its just boring.
    I'd say it's safe. Before DF was announced and Shadowlands was in full meltdown along with the bad Blizz PR, I made a prediction that DF would either be an aggressive attempt at wowing the players with a great expansion, or it Blizz would make a super safe expansion; turns out it was the latter. My reason was purely based upon how Blizz tends to react to situations, and they were either going to attempt to increase their player base or mitigate their decrease in player base (going safe was synonymous with mitigating loss).

Now, this isn't to say there aren't good things in DF; quite the opposite, we've finally got features and changes that players have been wanting for years in some cases. The problem is apathy (and no, this isn't a Bellular reference, I've been talking about player apathy for well over two years now). A lot of these good changes are too little, too late. While QoL of changes are nice, they're most effective when your player engagement is really high, as QoL changes generally don't get average players excited... unless it fixes something so insanely broken. Even then, it doesn't excite an average player versus announcing new types of content or announcing a new, cool direction of the game. If QoL changes excite players, they're likely to be people who are already content with the game to where a QoL will matter, or there's literally nothing else to be excited about.

While I have no idea if Chris Metzen will have enough influence to make changes to the game at a level that could bring back players, his full-time return could be bundled under a QoL change. I think you'd have more chance of substantive change if you did something major, like remove Ion from his post and replaced him with someone else (or did a major team shake-up). Another problem is that the WoW dev team is probably institutionalized at this point, used to doing things a certain way or being 'encouraged' to produce certain results that they either can't or won't go against the grain. I'm sure there are exceptions, but I have a hard time believing the work environment would be friendly to dissenting voices based upon what news comes out about their work place. You'd need people at the top to lay down the law and set the tone to allow things to open up and allow dissension, and Metzen coming back likely would have a minor impact at most in the short-term (long-term is TBD). Could be wrong, would be happy to be wrong, but I prefer to make a guess based upon not wishes but reality.
    “Society is endangered not by the great profligacy of a few, but by the laxity of morals amongst all.”
    “It's not an endlessly expanding list of rights — the 'right' to education, the 'right' to health care, the 'right' to food and housing. That's not freedom, that's dependency. Those aren't rights, those are the rations of slavery — hay and a barn for human cattle.”
    ― Alexis de Tocqueville

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bullseyed View Post
    Seems like nobody is really paying attention. He's getting a title change, he has been back at Blizzard since 2022. He's spent the last 9 months doing stuff, in the "Warcraft universe" not WoW specifically.

He came back about 9 months after MS announced acquisition, so it is likely MS approached him to bring him back.

2016 -- "quit" to "retire" to "spend time with family"
    2018 -- started a board game company because he was bored with his family
    2022 -- rehired by Blizzard to do "Warcraft related" stuff
    2023 -- promoted to do "Warcraft related" stuff
    This is all very likely.

I'd wager when Microsoft acquired Activision blizzard king. They will finally separate the three into their own independent studios allowing blizzard to go back to what they were 10 years ago. Especially with Metzen being brought back it's obvious he's going to be the head of this when Microsoft is in control. The best thing about this is how hands off Microsoft is with studios (look at Bethesda for example who operates in near complete autonomy to the point most casual gamers don't even know they are owned by Microsoft.)

There is nothing but good news from this announcement.
    Classes/Specs: Retribution Paladin, Outlaw Rogue, Frost Mage, Destruction Warlock.

Vanilla veteran of both factions since '04. Former high end player, now casually playing simply to keep up with the lore.

Quote Originally Posted by Niwes View Post
    This, combined with the „no longer ATVI“ facts is the first moment, since years, that give me hope.
    They're still owned by Activision-Blizzard, and there's zero indicators that it's going to change. MS just bought Activision-Blizzard. MS is also notoriously hands-off with it's purchased studios, so don't expect anything to change.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ateo View Post
    I'd wager when Microsoft acquired Activision blizzard king. They will finally separate the three into their own independent studios allowing blizzard to go back to what they were 10 years ago. Especially with Metzen being brought back it's obvious he's going to be the head of this when Microsoft is in control. The best thing about this is how hands off Microsoft is with studios (look at Bethesda for example who operates in near complete autonomy to the point most casual gamers don't even know they are owned by Microsoft.)
    This is some high-as-a-kite copium. You said it yourself, MS is hands-off with studios, they're not going to break up ABK in to their component studios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Addiena
    Whats the saying .. You have two brain cells and they are both fighting for third place !

Quote Originally Posted by thilicen View Post
    Well there's no way he can do worse than what's already being done so yeah, actually glad to see him back.
    i mean cata, which a lot of people consider end of "classic" wow and begining to end of wow, and wod, one of the - if not THE worst - expansions (and definitely expansion with poorest delivery of content) were done while he was at blizz...
    so yeah, i hope it wont happen, but he can DEFINITELY do worse than current game...

I doubt this will change much if anything at all. They must have offered him a nice salary/bonuses etc, it's almost like selling your soul to the devil. The rot runs deep in Blizzard I have no idea how they're ever going to fix that. BfA, SL and DF are big fails in my eyes. I had played wow since 2005 and DF was the last drop that made me quit. The direction of the game is the problem in general and I'm not talking about the story/lore but the actual game and the activities. I find it hilarious that classic is so popular but it also shows the problem in general with retail wow. If you're a big fan of retail as it is right now I got some great news for you it's only going to get better. If you dislike retail wow then you can expect the game to get much worse.

I used to consider Cataclysm as the worst expansion for a long time. I could have taken BfA is it was followed by a good expansion but then we got Shadowlands, big yikes. Like that wasn't enough we got Dragonflight. 3 terrible expansions in a row. I could sit and rant on but I'm not going to bother I don't even play the game anymore it would really take something special to bring me and my friends back to the game. No "story" or "lore" will do that because there are fundamental issues with the game today.

I'll take faction war and ripping off Warhammer over femboy furryshit any time of the day, thank you very much

Quote Originally Posted by Athredas View Post
    I'll take faction war and ripping off Warhammer over femboy furryshit any time of the day, thank you very much
    Stupid furries! The game really went downhill when they added all the furry cow people!
    "stop puting you idiotic liberal words into my mouth"
    -ynnady

This is great and all but unless he's made lead dev or the equivalent nothing will change. The game is boring and kind of crap for many reasons, least of which is story, which is Metzen's bag.

I doubt it will happen but maybe MS will Elon the workforce and offer stripclub trips and free pot to bring back some neckbeards who know how to make a game.

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    The most hilarious part of this is people shilling Danuser and saying people unduly blame him and give Metzen a pass. No, Danuser is just fucking terrible and his stories actively ruin the setting in every possible way. Metzen is just a middling writer that has a few flashes of cleverness that works and everything else is formulaic and simple. I say that as someone that LIKES Metzen because I started playing this game as a teenager and that's what the game is written for. He's not a genius, he just writes the same shit and that's what I want. "People are scared of new things" you cry, Danuser-lover, as if I'd be afraid of Metzen or someone else writing shit that isn't absolutely terrible. Even if Metzen's writing is sometimes pretty bad, it's not AS bad as Danuser's.
    Paladin Bash has spoken.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Athredas View Post
    Why not both?

"Oh you got an ouchie wouchie?" *BANG* "Doesn't hurt anymore now does it??"
    We're all newbs, some are just more newbier than others.

Just a burned out hardcore raider turned casual.
    I'm tired. So very tired. Can I just lay my head on your lap and fall asleep?
    #TeamFuckEverything

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BaumanKing View Post
    Metzen returns specifically to silence all those boomers who yearn for the return of problematic "heavy metal" aesthetic to wow. But I hope that Metzen has grown up and won't bring sexism, racism and other problematic stuff back to wow. We don't need this anymore. DF is great and I hope we continue in the same direction.
    I wouldn't call it 'Heavy metal' anymore, but maybe bring back the 'dad rock' into wow haha. Don't think I 100% agree that wow was ever had any real serious problematic themes besides being the product of a bunch of horny nerds back in the 90s. I think in my original message I think people in this forum ironically think we are going back to Bikini wearing characters when Metzen was one of the ones that removed it.

What I like from Metzen is he understand that Warcraft is a different type of fantasy - something between goofy/corny with a taste of 'blood and thunder'. I also really love how Metzen seems to listen to the community.
    socials
    TikTok flanleet | YouTube/Twitter/Instagram flan1337

Quote Originally Posted by BaumanKing View Post
    Metzen returns specifically to silence all those boomers who yearn for the return of problematic "heavy metal" aesthetic to wow. But I hope that Metzen has grown up and won't bring sexism, racism and other problematic stuff back to wow. We don't need this anymore. DF is great and I hope we continue in the same direction.
    Sexism and racism in wow? Where? Serious question. Never seen it.

Quote Originally Posted by bullseyed View Post
    Seems like nobody is really paying attention. He's getting a title change, he has been back at Blizzard since 2022. He's spent the last 9 months doing stuff, in the "Warcraft universe" not WoW specifically.

He came back about 9 months after MS announced acquisition, so it is likely MS approached him to bring him back.

2016 -- "quit" to "retire" to "spend time with family"
    2018 -- started a board game company because he was bored with his family
    2022 -- rehired by Blizzard to do "Warcraft related" stuff
    2023 -- promoted to do "Warcraft related" stuff
    I can see why he went back to blizz. Did you try his table top game? My D&D group did and man it sucked. No wonder he kept the safety net of blizz in his back pocket because his TTG was going no where.