Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ...
9
10
11
  1. #201
    Titan Al Gorefiend's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    A state of madness
    Posts
    11,955
    Quote Originally Posted by Relapses View Post
    Alright, you seem confused so let's establish a few things here: I largely feel the current LLM iteration of AI has pracitcal uses but I don't believe it will be replacing humans since it's still painfully obvious when it's used. We aren't talking about DVDs replacing VHS tapes. We're talking about giving shitty internet marketers an easier way to generate stock photos and YouTubers an easy way to generate search terms for their videos.



    That response was a reaction to you diminishing the real world contribution of human beings to voice acting with a very bad, extremely reductive "lol any1 can do it" shtick. My defense of human creativity has little to any personal stake I have in the field and everything to do with me simply disliking having to live in a world where people feel comfortable enough to go make off and share opinions as bad as the one you expressed. Given how you replied to literally every single poster who called you out, it's pretty safe to assume you were just trying to bait people into having the exact conversation we're having right now. You wanted an opportunity to share with the world your amazing ideas about how AI is actually maybe not that bad and maybe us humans are just being a bit too sensitive about robots taking our jobs. Congratulations on being on the right side of your imagined history, friend.




    If that were all you cared about then I wouldn't have replied to you. We mostly agree here though I think it's something better solved by the community via add-on then anything Blizzard wastes development time on.



    No, I read you referring to voice actors as gatekeepers against the inevitable march of AI as evidence of a clearly dissociative, borderline sociopathic thought pattern. I simply took this brain broken train of thought to its natural conclusion. Maybe that was a bit much since you're now accusing me of holding the positions I was criticizing you for harboring but sometimes sarcasm is hard to detect on the internet so I'll give you a pass.



    I'll take that as a compliment. :^)



    Did you know that you can share this opinion without needlessly diminishing an entire vocation? My problem isn't your morally grey stance on the politics of AI, it's with your really dumb take about how anybody can be a voice actor.



    It might be easy for you but it isn't for everybody. And, maybe this is news to you, but some people actually enjoy the campy nature of WoW's voice acting. I don't know who died and made you the arbiter of quality voice acting but you desperately need to learn how to separate your opinion from the way the rest of the world perceives things.



    Things would need to get a lot more heated for me to feel compelled to ignore you. You haven't even insulted my mom yet
    Okay so we are in fact in agreement that AI for quest text dialog sounds cool. Thought so, it's wild thinking someone wouldn't.

    You are offended by my comment about how anybody can be a voice actor. I double down on it regardless of you thinking it is a stupid position because it is true.

    Maybe you read "Voice acting is a job literally anybody can do" as "there are no good voice actors". Untrue, there are wildly better voice actors than others. You can hear both in WoW, you can hear both in the same raid, even. Right before the Lich King, a well-voiced character by a VA nobody has anything negative to say about is Sindragosa. Magic betraaaays you became a meme level joke of what passes at Blizzard, and it's really only a dozen or so lines they needed to record.
    If Sindragosa, Hans'zog and Fran'zok, XT-002 Deconstructor are fine for WoW, then it means the barrier of entry to voice characters in WoW is awfully low.

    Jim Cummings comment wasn't a personal diss as I said in the post anyway. Yes he is 10000x a better voice actor than me and can sing and has a hugely more talented career in voice acting than me. OBVIOUSLY. He's been acting longer than I've been alive, Fucking. Obviously. You do not NEED that level of skill to be a voice-over in WoW, it was a treat we got him. Had Lorewalker been voiced by anybody else it wouldn't have made a difference for the game, at all.

    And guess what, human VAs for important lore characters and AI voices for quest NPCs you may interact with, once, in some backwoods questing zone you hearth out of and never see it, can coexist.

    So yes, the people who are gatekeeping addons like voiceover are the same leftover people from the AI art threads trying to come here and doomsay their hysteria-addled visions of the dystopia destroyed by AI stealing art and replacing passionate human artists, when it isn't going to fully happen. Just like how the invention of the camera only destroyed the careers of about 95% of portraitures who spent their entire lives learning the arduous, painstakingly hard skill of painting someone as they sit still for hours at a time between sessions, in some instances entire single sessions. Hell some portraitures were threatened with death by messing up details of important dignitaries, probably at those times the hardest job in the world. How much pushback did early photography get back in the day to protect their jobs(but no I really do not know this answer). And yeah, even today people still want pictures of themselves painted. Like I am sorry AI will someday very soon begin replacing actual human actors. I cannot say I want it to happen but it is obviously going to.

    So uh, yeah. I remain unconvinced voice acting is a job not everybody could do. It's like everything else in the world with a low bar of entry obviously some people do it way better than others. Driving, has a low barrier of entry, billions of people can do it, millions of people suck at it but are still on the roads, some people are so good they make careers out of it. I'd say a far better analogy than the eSports comedy setup you went with.
    Like how is it hard to grasp being a voice actor for WoW doesn't mean anybody could be the next big Tom Kenny, millions of players would kill for the opportunity to record their voices to their characters or NPCs, for free. So AI filling in gaps Blizzard never intends to fill, why tf not.

    Do you take offense when I say driving is something almost* everybody can do? Because I am trashing professional drivers and the millions of people who drive public transportation for a living?

    Voice acting. Is a job. Anybody could do. I don't know how to say it both bluntly and politely at the same time.



    *no ableism shit, that is not setup for a gotcha moment
    Last edited by Al Gorefiend; 2023-12-07 at 01:19 PM.

  2. #202
    Quote Originally Posted by Al Gorefiend View Post
    Voice acting. Is a job. Anybody could do. I don't know how to say it both bluntly and politely at the same time.
    Your point is still woefully ignorant, if not also meaningless at the same time. "Anyone can play basketball because all you need to do is dribble a ball".

    I assure you the average person is a lot more monotone sounding than you release when it comes to acting. If you've ever had to sit through a college class that requires acting for a project you would realize this very quickly. And even your example of "bad acting" in WoW have some skill level at displaying inflection compared to the average person.

    Here's a great example for you of what non-voice actors sound like in a video game.

    Last edited by Khaza-R; 2023-12-07 at 01:57 PM.

  3. #203
    Quote Originally Posted by Khaza-R View Post
    Your point is still woefully ignorant, if not also meaningless at the same time. "Anyone can play basketball because all you need to do is dribble a ball".

    I assure you the average person is a lot more monotone sounding than you release when it comes to acting. If you've ever had to sit through a college class that requires acting for a project you would realize this very quickly. And even your example of "bad acting" in WoW have some skill level at displaying inflection compared to the average person.

    Here's a great example for you of what non-voice actors sound like in a video game.

    Just wanted to post a comparative video of people that put in the work and have a talent for voice acting:

    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Wh16h8...tlbm9iaQ%3D%3D

  4. #204
    Titan Al Gorefiend's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    A state of madness
    Posts
    11,955
    Quote Originally Posted by Khaza-R View Post
    Your point is still woefully ignorant, if not also meaningless at the same time. "Anyone can play basketball because all you need to do is dribble a ball".

    I assure you the average person is a lot more monotone sounding than you release when it comes to acting. If you've ever had to sit through a college class that requires acting for a project you would realize this very quickly. And even your example of "bad acting" in WoW have some skill level at displaying inflection compared to the average person.

    Here's a great example for you of what non-voice actors sound like in a video game.

    This is awful.



    It would fit right in.

    No I am not ignorant to the point you are making. We've already established everyone here knows the difference between good and bad voice actors. Being a bad one does not bar one from entry into voicing WoW characters.

    The problem with the video you posted likely came from one of the game developers decision to make NBA players voice themselves, when they are basketball players and not voice actors. Despite this, they still voice acted and it still made it into the game, because all the NBA players had to do was sit in a chair and record themselves talking. It was bad, and bad voice acting fits right in with WoW.

    And as for "anyone can play basketball because all you need to do is dribble a ball" isn't correct. Basketball is more than just dribbling a ball. A better thing to compare voice acting to instead of basketball, is ball dribbling.

  5. #205
    Quote Originally Posted by Khaza-R View Post
    Your point is still woefully ignorant, if not also meaningless at the same time. "Anyone can play basketball because all you need to do is dribble a ball".

    I assure you the average person is a lot more monotone sounding than you release when it comes to acting. If you've ever had to sit through a college class that requires acting for a project you would realize this very quickly. And even your example of "bad acting" in WoW have some skill level at displaying inflection compared to the average person.

    Here's a great example for you of what non-voice actors sound like in a video game.

    Just wanted to post a comparative video of people that put in the work and have a talent for voice acting:

    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Wh16h8...tlbm9iaQ%3D%3D

  6. #206
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    They don't care that it's unethical. That's it.
    They'lll praise AI until the're the ones found on pron deepfakes or something worse.
    Quote Originally Posted by Irian View Post
    I love how many people go the "fuck feminism!! ruining society!" Never change, "/r/incels" champion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dead Moose Fandango View Post
    No more eeeelves!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •