Poll: Leveling detracts more people from playing the endgame than not?

Leveling detracts more people from the game than not?

"Nobody likes leveling" is obviously a false statement, i for one know a person who enjoys it and is reaching the character limit cap on the account.

But IMO it detracts more players than not.
    Why do i think this:

1- When Season of Discovery released i talked to many people and all of them, individually, told me the "selling point" and "best part" was the level 25 cap.

2- Season of Discovery phase 2's meta is dungeon spam and to avoid outworld leveling. So as soon as leveling became "a thing" almost everyone is trying to avoid it and skip it.
    The dungeon spam meta situation is so out of control i had to download an addon to be able to read LFG chat.
    This didnt happen on phase 1, i could easily read LFG chat.

3- Personal bias, i hate leveling and is effectively preventing me from making new chars in both retail and classic.

--------

You think title is true or not? Why?
    Last edited by Roanda; 2024-02-11 at 09:33 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    People take the path of lease resistance in all things. So, if Dungeons are readily available, and are an easier way to level, then people are going to make use of it. I assume this didnt happen in Season 1 because dungeons were not as readily available up to level 25.

Note, I started playing Season of Discovery a few days go, so I have no experience with what it was like during Season one. I can also tell you, I am not a fan of the overworld leveling... Mainly because every quest that asks me to go get claws, or hooves or things of that nature take FOR FUCKING EVER when you are killing things with 4 legs. It's tedious and boring.

Once more into the breach | Avatar and Signature by Shyama

Quote Originally Posted by Roanda View Post

1- When Season of Discovery released i talked to many people and all of them, individually, told me the "selling point" and "best part" was the level 25 cap.
    Cause its classic and everyone with half a brain knows as with everything WoW, endgame is all that matters, only difference is, Bob that has already done it, doesnt wanna relevel 1-60 and relive the "Being 5 months late" stuck in the swamp of shit players.

Season of Discovery and level cap allows people to catch up and not be so far behind, thats its selling point and best part, it even made me install it and get to 25 because of it, casual braindead Vanilla difficulty content, then i realized i basically numlocked as 80% of the gameplay and havent logged on since.

Also, outworld leveling means "Because of this cap, there is 32432432 other people farming the same quests and they are giving me cancer, combine it with the fact i am on a PvP server since they are the most populated usually so you are forced to, and there will always be someone that things PvP in 2024 is any sort of fun to waste more of time", dungeon spam it is.

You can see quite easily why people would spam dungeons, also many used the quests to farm gold and literally have to dungeon spam.

Leveling, especially in WoW is a way to tell the story of each area and why the hell you are going in their dungeons to clear them out, and has been for awhile, ever since Cata remake, thank god.
    Last edited by potis; 2024-02-11 at 09:46 PM.

Depends on each person's goals and interests. The are people who only care about raiding, only pvping, only questing and a combination of those.
    I don't think this is true, at least not now when leveling is fast. This used to be a problem in like wod when you had to level forever.

Quote Originally Posted by potis View Post
    Cause its classic and everyone with half a brain knows as with everything WoW, endgame is all that matters, only difference is, Bob that has already done it, doesnt wanna relevel 1-60 and relive the "Being 5 months late" stuck in the swamp of shit players.

Season of Discovery and level cap allows people to catch up and not be so far behind, thats its selling point and best part, it even made me install it and get to 25 because of it, casual braindead Vanilla difficulty content, then i realized i basically numlocked as 80% of the gameplay and havent logged on since.

Also, outworld leveling means "Because of this cap, there is 32432432 other people farming the same quests and they are giving me cancer, combine it with the fact i am on a PvP server since they are the most populated usually so you are forced to, and there will always be someone that things PvP in 2024 is any sort of fun to waste more of time", dungeon spam it is.

You can see quite easily why people would spam dungeons, also many used the quests to farm gold and literally have to dungeon spam.
    Yeah, my "evidence" is anecdotal and biased.
    Just wanted to "poll" what people think and if leveling is preventing them from playing more characters than not.

Quote Originally Posted by Roanda View Post
    Yeah, my "evidence" is anecdotal and biased.
    Just wanted to "poll" what people think and if leveling is preventing them from playing more characters than not.
    Same thing stands, in Classic it definitely stops many people from playing it, i know few others apart from myself that would be doing a few dungeons or even some silly raiding in any Classic version if it wasnt for leveling, i simply dont care enough for the Classic versions which i already did in the past at a high level to redo them and waste so many hours simply leveling when i know there is no point in it for someone like me..What is it gonna do, teach me how to play the class i have been playing for 20 years?

Others enjoy it, personally i dont mind it once when its fresh content, maybe twice if i skipped an area but i am dungeon spamming afterwards on every character.

well for classic if the leveling was super fast like retail, i imagine people would quit a lot faster. There's basically nothing to do at endgame, so if you could get to max level in a day or two then youd just be left with not much to do

Well, when 10 million players level in a new expac, 5 million try world content, only 2 million try mythic+, one million tries raids, thousands play mythic raids and a few hundreds complete them...

.. rather lets ask if high end pvp and premade group pve actually distract the devs from creating gameplay that really matters.
    Last edited by schmonz; 2024-02-11 at 10:53 PM.

the phrase "nobody likes leveling" is a more general and related to many things that are not account wide when they should be, and this probably includes quest progression and also levels to some form in the big picture,

In Retail, Levelling is filler.

In Classic, there's no other meaningful content besides Levelling.

Keep Levelling in Classic, remove Levelling as a system for Retail (keep 80 as the level cap for the entire Worldsoul saga) and then just make a more centralized, faster, and quicker storyline throughout the four new zones.

"Nobody likes leveling"
    No one literally means "There is not a single person out of billions of humans that does not like levelling in WoW". What people mean (and is easily understood if you are not pushing an agenda) is that people in Retail would rather have the option to skip Levelling entirely on their 30th alt and go straight for the endgame content.

Levelling in Retail is literally filler (when it's beyond the first week). It is not valuable or worthwhile content, it is literally filler that you do rolling your eyes on your 30th alt. That is why level boosters are so popular.
    Last edited by Varodoc; 2024-02-12 at 11:42 AM.
    Expansion Storylines ranking:

Legion > Cataclysm > MoP > BfA up to 8.2.5 > Wrath > TBC > WoD > Dragonflight > BfA 8.3 > Shadowlands

Leveling is for those that remember when the game was fun. I mean your talking "Classic" and that's more about nostalgia, and leveling gave a sense of progression and accomplishment. And the stories told in many zones were usually better than the overarching narrative.

Slogged through SOD phase 1 leveling.
    Loved the raiding.

Logged on for Phase 2. Took my first quest, logged off, never coming back.
    Leveling to 25 was bad enough. Classic sucks for leveling, I dont have the time or patience to do it for another 20+ levels.

Hoping for Season of PVE later. Start at level cap, only progression is the gear.

On the flipside, leveling in retail is fun. The first time.
    Thats probably my issue with it all. IVe done Classic leveling already... when it was current. Its just boring a second time. Same as retail leveling, after the first time, its just a technicality that im annoyed I have to slog through.

Absolutely love normal leveling. Questing. Grinding. Taking my time, completing every quest.

Is it optimal? Hell no. Is is the fastest way to level? No. It is my personal preference. Will run every dungeon for quests or specific drops eventually, but my bulk of leveling is questing in the world. We're gonna stay 3~ months on the phase, being max level on day 1 or day 5 bears literally no difference to me, and i'll just enjoy my way there.

10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks to squish and number crunches levels and leveling feel pointless to me.

I think leveling is important each and every expansion as a means to explore the new “continent”.

Using SoD behavior as evidence for why leveling is bad is a bit like saying “M+ detracts from the game because by the time someone has run that dungeon 28 times, they don’t want to run it for 3 more consecutive seasons”.