Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Red face 1v1 Mage Tower may be the most important expansion to the gameplay of WoW.

A lot of us recognize the immense depth in terms of Thinking involved in any 1 human VS 1 human game; think of Chess or Hearthstone or Poker; this can reach levels deeper that team games in terms of complexity of [thinking about] strategy because the game is no longer heavily about team cohesion but about the perfect move: team cohesion is by definition perfect in that context because it's the same person and what remains to be perfected: is to have the perfect move.

"1v1 Mage Tower" is a shorthand term; it refers to a new gameplay format that puts 2 players in an environment that attempts to balance their 2 classes or 2 specs with very specialized buffs picked from the ground or granted initially which attempt to balance their initial imbalances (e.g. a typical healer can't go against a typical damage dealer otherwise because the game would take forever that way); since it was never done before: it has the biggest potential: entire games are based around 1v1 gameplay and there's no reason for WoW to not have that aside from Pet Battles and rough imbalanced 1v1 otherwise (IT'S STILL MULTIPLAYER).

--

On actual design:

The simplest Design of this would start with 6 sets of buffs and effects and auras; this is 3 for a) Healer b) Tank c) DPS plus their own mirror pairs making 6 total combinations; theoretically it can be expanded to more types but it has diminishing returns on if it even matters.

It might not matter much to balance it perfectly; that's because the total Rank would be based on the total; if your spec wins some more easily and loses some more easily: it evens out in total (and the faster the games end the less it matters (and they should be quick)).

A combination of a) predetermined sets of abilities/auras/buffs of at least 6 combinations of class/spec types b) modestly balanced (no perfection needed if you win some and lose some more easily) and c) quick enough games: should create a package that makes it fair.

--

Old text after the threads were merged:

The game is long overdue for a proper single player experience that puts the player's mind hard at work; Hearthstone has proven this can only happen in PvP because PvE is either too dumb to be a challenge or too hard for the Devs to keep it fresh; what is needed is proper 1 vs 1 combat in WoW.

In order to do that the crucial issue is balance; for instance it's obvious that a Healer can not go against a DPS on an empty field because the Healer will stall the game till the end of time; what you need is the model of Mage Tower (and similar features) with buffs on the ground.
    Last edited by epigramx; 2024-03-27 at 06:52 AM.

Merely a Setback Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    We already have it, it’s called PvP pet battles.
    All I ever wanted was the truth. Remember those words as you read the ones that follow. I never set out to topple my father's kingdom of lies from a sense of misplaced pride. I never wanted to bleed the species to its marrow, reaving half the galaxy clean of human life in this bitter crusade. I never desired any of this, though I know the reasons for which it must be done. But all I ever wanted was the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by Lorgar Aurelian View Post
    We already have it, it’s called PvP pet battles.
    How is that in the model of Mage Tower?

Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    The game is long overdue for a proper single player experience that puts the player's mind hard at work; Hearthstone has proven this can only happen in PvP because PvE is either too dumb to be a challenge or too hard for the Devs to keep it fresh; what is needed is proper 1 vs 1 combat in WoW.

In order to do that the crucial issue is balance; for instance it's obvious that a Healer can not go against a DPS on an empty field because the Healer will stall the game till the end of time; what you need is the model of Mage Tower (and similar features) with buffs on the ground.
    PvP is and never will be balanced for 1v1. Blizzard has repeatedly stated that PvP has never been balanced around 1v1. No. we do not need this, what other SUCESSFUL MMO has 1 v 1 PVP that is not a steaming pile of unbalanced hellscape. please do enlighten me.

I don't mean to sound negative but I feel like every time you make a thread about a new feature that would revolutionize the game it just sounds really stupid and considering how often these threads appear it makes you wonder if you even like the game to begin with?

Not everyone should share their ideas

Quote Originally Posted by Kharli View Post
    Blizzard has repeatedly stated that PvP has never been balanced around 1v1.
    That's a bad excuse. Blizzard can be wrong. It would only make sense as an argument if Blizzard are infallible; there's an official term for that fallacy by the way; Authority Fallacy.

10+ Year Old Account
    1v1 doesnt work because it cannot and shouldnt be balanced. Arena already made of mess of things, this would only make it worse.

So no thank you.
    Subarashii chin chin mono
    Kintama no kami aru

Quote Originally Posted by Sanguinerd View Post
    1v1 doesnt work because it cannot and shouldnt be balanced. Arena already made of mess

This is not arena. Arena almost never has buffs and it attempts to use the pure classes.

This is in the model of Mage Tower and other types that give buffs on the ground.

I think Blizzard should add a new game mode called "Season of Heroism", where the world, raids and dungeons are catered to solo players.

The problem about this idea is that the devs will never do something like that. Because of a rarely stupid bias.

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by schmonz View Post
    I think Blizzard should add a new game mode called "Season of Heroism", where the world, raids and dungeons are catered to solo players.

The problem about this idea is that the devs will never do something like that. Because of a rarely stupid bias.
    oh I would absolutely love that. yes. so much yes.
    Last edited by Aucald; 2024-02-25 at 03:36 PM. Reason: Removed Irrelevant Repsonse

Quote Originally Posted by MrLachyG View Post
    oh I would absolutely love that. yes. so much yes.
    I guess a solo version of world of warcraft would literally adress millions of possible players.

I guess a solo version of world of warcraft would literally adress millions of possible players.
    In order to play in a single-player way the PvE raids and whatnot changes would be needed: at the very least a regular healer would be impossible to complete anything and others would be OP etc.

Hence we go back to the core of the OP idea; buffs on the ground; I add the concept of 1v1 PvP in it because another human is a constant wealth of ingeniuty while PvE content gets old soon and it's rarely challenging on 1v.

I mean think on how PvE in this game TRULY is challenging and interesting; it's because we are big teams of people cooperating; if we were just 1 versus a dumb AI we'd just script it and just win every time and be boring (or at least be eventually boring after you beat it once (e.g. PvE Mage Tower)).

I much prefer MY IDEA of creating a world-pvp environment with MOST WANTED criminals and mercenaries to catch the criminals
    Fun ideas like this never see the light of day...i assume because PvP is not "major" in WoW.

Quote Originally Posted by Roanda View Post
    I much prefer MY IDEA of creating a world-pvp environment with MOST WANTED criminals and mercenaries to catch the criminals
    Fun ideas like this never see the light of day...i assume because PvP is not "major" in WoW
    Do you mean just look for 1 player? A problem might be that they'll be wiped instantly by whoever find them first (they'll be probably groups looking).

My idea can be inclusive even to that; that's because I mainly talk of "buffs/effects on the ground"; they can be spawned on the world dynamically.
    Last edited by epigramx; 2024-02-26 at 09:34 AM.

You are bad at guessing.

Quote Originally Posted by LordVargK View Post
    You are bad at guessing
    Only because the game doesn't have that many players probably.

I believe a lot of team-players would love single-player experiences if the single-player experiences are mentally challenging to them.

Right now it's simply a very dumb game for single-player gaming; PvP is totally broken on 1v1 and PvE 1v [challenging-]content doesn't exist anymore; you need refreshing single-player combat that is also challenging to the mind and for that to happen a combination of PvP and Mage Tower-esque pickable-items on the ground will offer that.
    Last edited by epigramx; 2024-02-26 at 11:10 AM.

Red face 1v1 Mage Tower may be the most important expansion to the gameplay of WoW.

A lot of us recognize the immense depth in terms of Thinking involved in any 1 human VS 1 human game; think of Chess or Hearthstone or Poker; this can reach levels deeper that team games in terms of complexity of [thinking about] strategy because the game is no longer heavily about team cohesion but about the perfect move: team cohesion is by definition perfect in that context because it's the same person and what remains to be perfected: is to have the perfect move.

"1v1 Mage Tower" is a shorthand term; it refers to a new gameplay format that puts 2 players in an environment that attempts to balance their 2 classes or 2 specs with very specialized buffs picked from the ground or granted initially which attempt to balance their initial imbalances (e.g. a typical healer can't go against a typical damage dealer otherwise because the game would take forever that way); since it was never done before: it has the biggest potential: entire games are based around 1v1 gameplay and there's no reason for WoW to not have that aside from Pet Battles and rough imbalanced 1v1 otherwise (IT'S STILL MULTIPLAYER).

tl;dr: duels with matchup specific balancing buffs/nerfs
    another one of those threads. i'll go grab my popcorn.

1+ Year Old Account
    You mean like a tournament handled by the game systems. That would be cool, but Blizzard doesn't know how to handle 1v1.

However. Instead the character could be cosmetic-only and just get a bunch of specific abilities from the instance, same way as Plunderstorm, and all the abilities are the same for each player, and it only counts how they use them. Like a sort of Mortal Kombat game mode.
    Last edited by Cynical Asshole; 2024-03-26 at 08:47 AM.