Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst

I know this content creator I follow did that just recently. Pretty understandably, he found wow classic easier to follow from a simplicity point of view, and the way retail WoW pushes you through leveling and cuts it off at 60 very jarring, like it's just something to get over with to get you to the current game (which is basically true for most players.)

I agree with the sentiment that it's very much a story you experience rather than run beginning to end. I don't think there's any way they could do the latter given how old the game is. I know FF14 tries to have you follow the entire campaign of every expansion. I think I got through the third one. I didn't lose interest so much as fixate back on MMOs I knew that had new content I wanted to do, like RS3's necromancy skill.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Powerogue View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXyDqyxRifY&t=335s

I agree with the sentiment that it's very much a story you experience rather than run beginning to end. I don't think there's any way they could do the latter given how old the game is. I know FF14 tries to have you follow the entire campaign of every expansion. I think I got through the third one. I didn't lose interest so much as fixate back on MMOs I knew that had new content I wanted to do, like RS3's necromancy skill.
    This reminds me of a really good suggestion I saw in the official forums some years ago. The suggestion is that the WoW starting experience should be a longish quest chain that serves to recap the game from Classic on to the expansion just before the current. It would put you at near max level minus whatever number of levels are current (e.g. at level 60 for Dragonflight's 70-level cap). So at present, it should touch on the major story beats of TBC through Shadowlands with several quests and scenario-type encounters that tell the story of the game so far, perhaps including a dungeon run or two to cap things off. So when a new starting player arrives at the current expansion, they've got a good understanding of the story, should be able to play their chosen class/spec well, and are ready to set off the current expansion's content without issue. Major story beats per expansion would be like:

• Classic - Onyxia's plot, the summoning of Ragnaros, the threat of C'Thun and Ahn'Qiraj, and the threat of Naxxramas.
    • TBC - Kael'thas' betrayal and corruption, Illidan and the Black Temple, and Kil'jaeden and the Sunwell.
    • WotLK - Yogg-Saron and Ulduar, the fall of the Lich King at Icecrown Citadel.
    • Cata - Ragnaros' return, Deathwing and the Dragonflights, and the Dragon Soul.
    • MoP - The Sha, Y'Shaaraj, and the Siege of Orgrimmar including Garrosh's downfall.
    • WoD - The duel between Garrosh and Thrall, the fall of the Iron Horde, and Archimonde at Hellfire Citadel.
    • Legion - The resolution of the Nightmare, the Tomb of Sargeras, and the fall of Argus.
    • BfA - The fall of G'huun, the culmination of the Fourth War, Xal'atath, and N'Zoth.
    • Shadowlands - Introduction/explanation of the Jailer, Sylvanas' defeat/restoration, and the fall of the Jailer.
    • Dragonflight - Introduction/explanation of the Primal Incarnates, restoring the Oathstones, and the defeat of Fyrakk.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

I dont recommend the game to any friends mostly because if you havent played since at least legion/bfa the game will be far too complicated to figure out.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerogue View Post
    I agree with the sentiment that it's very much a story you experience rather than run beginning to end. I don't think there's any way they could do the latter given how old the game is.
    Revamp it on the core story. Don't release expansions that expand the story a lot, the expansions would stay on the basics of the story and mainly expand on side-stories and improve the technologies.

[e.g. the story could stay up to say Outlands[or ok WotLK]]

[then all expansions would be more side stories in the same worlds and new technologies for the video game visuals and audio and gameplay while the new players would only go through the main story up to Outlands[or ok WotLK]]
    Last edited by epigramx; 2024-02-29 at 07:23 AM.

Well, i would not show it to new players nowadays. The game is way too complex and the idea to lock all endgame progression to premade groups is way too demanding.

WoW nowadays is a niche game.

Years ago, a coworker of mine said he had played WC3, and wondered if he should try WoW.

I told him it was addictive and it would be better for his life if he didn't. So he stayed away.

He now (after some job hopping) makes $600K/year, and has four children.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

Most people ive showed the game, it was a private server.
    Because most scoff at the idea of paying $15 a month.

Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    What did they think of the game? I'm talking about players who actually played it for a while; e.g. at least a week and went through a few zones at least; I'm not talking about someone just seeing a video and dissing the game in a second.
    yes, in a dungeon recently.

From the short ( 3 time walk dungeons) i talked with the person i got the following things:
    - WoW is fun, not to hardcore. The person found other mmo's to over whelming, to unclear what to do.
    - found the game has more frequent stuff 2 do.
    - was sad not to join earlier.
    - dislike the elistest behavior of people. He also had some bad groups. worse then in other games sometimes.
    - but when people where friendly, they helped a lot. and where even more helpfull then expected
    - found the choices for looks a bit lacking.
    - a lot of story. but a clear story.
    - and missed some things from other games ( housing from elder scrolls).