1. #3381
    Where this show started and ended were so apart. Many of these Star Wars shows are kind of a waste of time.

  2. #3382
    Merely a Setback Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Land of moose and goose.
    Posts
    25,424
    Quote Originally Posted by InfiniteCharger View Post
    The point is we as viewers already know the story of what happens down the road and we all know that the Jedi get destroyed because of the Sith which is tied to them being the mortal enemies of the Jedi for thousands of years. And this whole series is set in a time period where the Sith are active using the rule of two to keep a low profile until they can hatch their final plan to destroy the Jedi. So having this series set 100 years before the prequels and featuring some random dark siders is just them playing on that known lore. We all know this isn't some random story set out in nowhere that doesn't connect to anything else as the ending of this season makes it clear they want it to tie into the Sith. The problem is they are trying to use some contrived "mystery" as to what the connections are between the Sith and these characters. Not to mention muddying the waters by showing the Jedi as non trustworthy and scheming.
    Hmm dmm, you know what, ya I agree with you for once.

    From our point of view as viewers we know there trying to tie it into the Sith proper but they never really go all the way which leaves the show unsatisfying as we don’t get the dark side stuff properly fleshed out as something new as well as only getting the Sith name dropped and a cave monster instead of the stuff we’d want to see.


    Has nothing to do with why other senior Jedi who likely would have known him wouldn't recognize him when they saw him, such as Sol.
    it’s implied that Sol should know who he is so it could just be that Sol knew him when he was younger but doesn’t recognize who he grew up to be or force mind stuff like we see happen to Mea at the end.
    All I ever wanted was the truth. Remember those words as you read the ones that follow. I never set out to topple my father's kingdom of lies from a sense of misplaced pride. I never wanted to bleed the species to its marrow, reaving half the galaxy clean of human life in this bitter crusade. I never desired any of this, though I know the reasons for which it must be done. But all I ever wanted was the truth.

  3. #3383
    That felt a bit mystery boxy. They just set up too many mysteries during the season and didn't really have the time to develop interesting answers in the end. And the characters all had to go through wild emotional rides from scene to scene and one meme memory wipe to somehow set up a plot that makes all the side switching make sense. Didn't really care for the finale.

    I also hated all the "marvel" bullshit (one shot of Plaguis standing in a cave. One shot of Yodas back). If you want to advertise something, twitter is a perfect place to put a teaser pic. Don't put in in your show that might or might not ever get a second season. It just pulls you out of the experience.


    BUT, other than that, the show still looked great, had interesting characters and mostly felt like a self contained story. All in all I enjoyed watching it.
    So I guess I would put it goes somewhere behind Andor and Mando I in my "star wars show" list.
    "And all those exclamation marks, you notice? Five?
    A sure sign of someone who wears his underpants on his head."

  4. #3384
    Truth is the story going on off screen probably could have been fairly good. We can't really know because it's not shown that much. The one they showed us on screen was just kinda bad imo.

    To difficult to care about the twins. Objectives and allegences shift with the wind. Goals are hard to pin until after they unfold and are solved. Feels like they wanted us to have sympathy for them but they are cold blooded killers as well. Wasn't well acted imo. I get it that it's hard to play 2 roles but it seems like it was only one role after all. It's fine for it to be there but it should have been the B plot happening off screen for the most part.

  5. #3385
    Elemental Lord Darththeo's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
    Posts
    8,150
    Quote Originally Posted by Syegfryed View Post
    If you are making up stuff, to explain a scene, that was not given defacto answer - which all what you do - it is headcanon, plain and simple
    Literally, not the definition of headcanon. Using the material to explain why an event occurs is literally the antithesis of headcanon. "This character was shown to act reckless and continued to do so" not headcanon.

    So, what is then, the show is bad written, or sol is canonically retarded?
    He acts without thinking it through as we have been shown. That's not "retarded." It is a trait Anakin has, is Anakin retarded to you?

    Jesus fucking Christ, stop you nitpick, i say crash because i implied that was the INTENT of the damn beaver, because why the fuck would he do that? there is no logical reason of why he start ripping wires, him being skilled at tech explain fuck all about ''depowering a ship" in that circumstance. What the fucking scene actually implies is that the fucking Beaver was trying to stop Sol from getting Mae, and again, why the fuck would he do that? he was trying to attack Mae moments ago

    Trying to say he was scared is fucking bullshit, cause shutting down the ship in a chase in an asteroid ring(or whatever that shit was? i assume is ice, but who knows)? thats recipe for disaster
    Yes, I nitpick your nitpicks. Don't like nitpicking, don't nitpick yourself.

    Dude, you are just throwing random words, try to make sense.
    Don't project, that's what you do. What part didn't you understand? That Aniseya made the twins or that Anakin wasn't created by anyone but via the force?

    He sensed the danger because Mae said she would kill Osha and that they were locked in, no one enter or leave, only then he decide to go in because he sensed goddamn danger and he was right

    You act like he could not possible foreseen that the danger would be greater, cause no jedi can get a glimpse/sense a bit of the future
    Headcanon. Why do you get to use it? We don't know what danger Sol sense, so you can't claim it was the fire. We don't know if Sol saw any future possibility, so you can't claim that is the case. Those are by your view headcanon ... so you do exactly what you whine about others doing. You are a hypocrite and constantly prove it so.

    Your headcanon is fine. Other people using canon material to explain something "headcanon" that is wrong and evidence of bad writing. If you cannot obey the rules you set for others ... stop using them.

    The nature of the chills, "the show has problems, b-b-but not the ones you said!1!" classic
    Try not being wrong then. Just because there are problems doesn't mean what you said is one.

    You don't understand, since your comparison was dogshit
    Then disprove it, rather than insult.

    Are you fucking serious?

    Venestra literally know Quimir is there, she know he is there with her sister, why the fuck sol coming or not coming alone have anything to do here?

    Again: with or without someone staying behind they would still put all the blame on sol, Venestra would still know Quimir was there and escaped

    Tell me a single logical reason why Mae needed to stay behind.

    Unless you are actually trying to argue the jedi are so fucking stupid and bad - in the period they should be thriving and most powerful - that the moment they find Mae they simple stop searching for the rest? they halt all the search because they found Mae? "ok boys, pack it up, there is no need to do more searches, this one here is enough!' ???? Venestra KNOW there was more people than Mae, she didn't tell NO ONE when she send then to search? come the fuck on

    Let alone that Quimir could have killed all of then easily, since we saw he soloing tons of jedi knights before, especially with the other 2, and there was no padawans to make him sweat

    Mae needing to stay behind was fucking contrived and convoluted in an attempt to set up a season 2, it makes no sense.
    Venestra =/= All the Jedi. She is one person, why do you assume what she knows all the other Jedi also know? Where did she tell any of the Jedi on that mission there was another person there? Point in out in the show or are you using headcanon again?

    Why would she not? she sensed he was there the moment she step in, could she not sense he was a sith as well?

    Bitch is so powerful she hear shit from years ago when Sol killed Anyseia, but she could not sense Quimir is a sith, come the fuck on, be consistent show
    Because that's not how the Force works, Syeg. You don't get all the information you need, you get glimpses.

    Yoda is fucking powerful enough to know Venestra is lying, stop trying to defend this shit with even mor dumb arguments, you are just making the jedi worse, more ridiculous and dumb
    We have no idea what she told Yoda, Syeg. But you are automatically going to go with "She lied to Yoda"

    Stop trying to make up problems. You have zero problems with your personal headcanon so much you conflate actual canon with it.

    But given this has devolved into "Disprove Syegfryed's headcanon" there is no need for further reply from me.
    Last edited by Darththeo; Today at 03:51 PM.
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

  6. #3386
    Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    I feel that's a bit unfair. Gatekeeping is when an "opinion" becomes "only I know what's really part of <franchise>" or "if you don't like <opinion> then perhaps you need to go to another franchise". It's a kind of fandom absolutism where canonicity is wielded as personal clout. That doesn't mean opinions are invalid - it just means opinions that want to be used as arguments need proper justification and evidentiary backing. Otherwise they're just preferences, which while inherently sacrosanct also trade off that kind of immunity to criticism by having zero discursive power. And it is when people claim their preferences have discursive power that we enter gatekeeping.

    So it's only when opinions are used in specific ways that they can (and should) be accused of being gatekeep-y - it's not a blanket defense to cry foul with gatekeeping whenever you wish to invalidly wield your preferences as an argument.


    Ridiculous. You couldn't stop people if you tried. There's never been more criticism or more vocal criticism.

    If you feel afraid to voice your criticism, perhaps that is an opportunity to reflect on what might be going on there. Critique your own statements and see if you didn't make the mistake yourself of proffering a personal preference, and assuming it can operate as an argument. And that perhaps calls of "gatekeeping" may have been a result of that, rather than some kind of attempt at suppressing legitimate discourse? Is that perhaps something that might be going on?

    Just to be clear: it's entirely okay to just say "I don't like this". No one gets to argue with that. It's a personal preference, immune to all critique by definition (though not immune from value judgement, of course). It is, however, not an argument and it cannot ever be used as one. You say "my favorite ice cream flavor is salmon and tabasco", no one gets to say "no it isn't"; but you also do not get to say "therefore that is the best ice cream flavor in the world, and anyone who says otherwise is simply wrong". And if you do and insist on it, and try to wield it as clout in a discourse... that is indeed very often a form of gatekeeping.


    I'm not sure what you mean by that. Does Hollywood foster a culture of inbred ideas and sycophantic favoritism? Absolutely. It has been doing that since, oh, I don't know, the 1920s or so? You just have better insight and better access now that every little shmuck has a Twitter account or some other platform of public self-aggrandizement. Nothing's changed. Nothing's new. Except perhaps public sentiment, but that's always shifting - and cultural production is always responding. Also neither new nor surprising.

    And what do you mean by "the slightest bluster"? How are you engaging with these people? Are you just observing some online exchanges with lots of hard R's that somehow fail to have a productive outcome? Are you surprised that platforms people shamelessly instrumentalize for their self-promotion and self-indulgence do not have those same people suddenly fall into self-reflective criticism? In what universe would that ever happen? And how is Hollywood special in that respect? You think the rest of the Twittersphere is full of reasonable people who constantly admit when they're wrong and thank people for their constructive criticism? On what planet?
    I don't want to get into exactly what I do for a living of whom I associate. However needless to say I have been in contact with people of the writers persuasion and those of similar type. You have to look at the larger picture. When I say gatekeeping, of course there is a proper time and place to use ANY term be they critical or favorable. However many people today throw these types of terms around without properly weighing things out one way or the other. This creates a climate in which people avoid these remarks. From my associations which are themselves anecdotal I grant you, I have witnessed attitudes which help me come to these conclusions. These include even the slightest criticisms of a persons works. Yes we live in a time where opinion is rampant. However most of those "opinions" are in the vacuum of the internet without direct live counters nor checks and balances against some of those more inflammatory opinions and statements.

    In turn people and by extension the writers who prompted this discussion have grown thin skin from what I have noticed. The message of the day seems to be cater to everyone and by everyone I mean those least catered to in the past. The argument is that those types of movies and shows have been done before so the audience needs a new angle. However most of the audience which consist of current generations have never even SEEN those works. So therefor the only things that matter are the currently written movies and shows. Of course there is a large audience who are film aficionados who are acquainted with newer as well as the older style of programs.

  7. #3387
    Quote Originally Posted by Zodiark View Post
    many people today throw these types of terms around without properly weighing things out one way or the other.
    I agree with everything here except the word "today". Misapplication and misuse of such terms is as old as time. You can find Roman oratory that complains about people not using labels correctly. This isn't new or surprising, and the only reason this seems to be more prevalent is the explosion of communicative access we've been experiencing with the advent and spread of the internet. People aren't saying new things - you just hear a lot more people saying things in general. You post a comment online, everyone from Brazil to Bangkok is going to weigh in; 20 years ago, that would not have been the case; 40 years ago, that would have been science fiction.

    Quote Originally Posted by Zodiark View Post
    From my associations which are themselves anecdotal I grant you, I have witnessed attitudes which help me come to these conclusions. These include even the slightest criticisms of a persons works. Yes we live in a time where opinion is rampant. However most of those "opinions" are in the vacuum of the internet without direct live counters nor checks and balances against some of those more inflammatory opinions and statements.
    I also deal with writers a lot. I'm a literature professor. Writers are my business. Debates are where I live. Discourse is my life's blood. I have never seen what you describe here, some kind of special sensitivity or fear of critique. I say "special" because everyone tends to get defensive when attacked, and your average random person - writer or not - will have trouble responding actively to a barrage of online commentary and more often than not retreat or deflect. Anyone is prone to this, and it is by no means special to writers or people involved in Hollywood or other entertainment businesses. Nor is it in any way exclusive to the left or liberal parts of the political spectrum. Everyone defends, deflects, dissembles in almost the exact same way, and if anything sets people who deal with it differently apart it's their personalities - not their occupations. Some people are simply more resilient in the face of criticism, but whether they're a Hollywood writer or work at a gas station in rural Missouri is fairly immaterial. There's some correlation to certain occupations that involve public-facing work (lobbyists, publicists, public speakers, etc.) but by and large, there's just some people, period, who deal with this better than others.

  8. #3388
    Favorite interaction I’ve seen about the show so far:
    This was on Reddit

    CRL10: So, confession was not good for the Sol.

    DirectorTzu: Yeah, he got real choked up and emotional about it.

  9. #3389
    Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    B'ham, AL
    Posts
    1,436
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocksteady 87 View Post
    I also didn't understand why the matron witch went to do the wraith thing (which, apparently, was a requirement for the mind control spell, seeing as how Evil Mommy did the same in order to take over Kelnacca with the aid of the remaining witches) when she immediately revealed that she was going to let Osha go. Why go on the attack if you were going to be peaceful about the whole thing? Especially since she didn't have to do that previously to bring Torbin to his knees.
    Ok so THAT's what she was doing? Turning into a Force Wraith?

    I just found myself entertained by the explanation but a little confused as to what was going on and wishing Sol (as he was telling the story) offered up a bit more exposition-explanation.

    When the witches died as a group - needed a bit more explanation. Was really confusing - "wtf just...happened? they're dead? Did... did the Jedi do that, somehow?"

    When the matron suddenly...turned into black smoke.. which seem to be the cause of Sol stabbing at her (smoke) with a saber. Again it was just "wtf? What was that? Did he just stab her? Huh?" Now yes, I got the 'rationale' in the moment of - 'oh well he must have thought it was an attack', but I did have to /guess/ that's what they were going for, so it did seem a bit forced (pardon the pun) to make such a pivotol moment such a...blink-and-you-miss it with no further exposition from Sol. Even a "I had thought your mother was attacking..." would I think have helped the scene process to the viewer and serve to point to SOL *recognizing* he made a mistake in his presumptive attack.

    I enjoyed the episode. But I guess I was hoping for a bit /more/ explanation (or perhaps actual reasons) into how that all went FUBAR instead of "the lady who was JUST agreeing with you turned to smoke and you stabbed her out of instinct" and *force powers something* everyone else dead in a moment.

    Overall though, me and hubby are entertained by the series and don't find it near as offensive or bad a most of the posters around here. Its not top tier TV, none of the Star Wars Disney+ series are really. Honestly, a few episodes of Andor were far more boring. Hubby hasn't walked out of an episode of any /other/ Disney+ Star Wars show due to sheer boredom, but Andor - lol.

    And last but not least, I fucking despise how Star Wars handles Jedi using telekinesis. I get that they don't want Jedi flying around with wild abandon, but there's absolutely no reason why Sol should have had that much trouble saving both girls. First of all, he didn't fucking have to hold up both sides of the bridge, he could have easily lifted the girls and brought them to safety. Especially since we saw him throwing heavily shit around during fight scenes without even a hint of concentration needed, directly implying he was more than strong enough in that power to do the job.

    But... that's more of a rant about the franchise as a whole rather than a criticism of this show. Still, it irks me every time it comes up. Mace falling to his death was another big grr moment for me.
    Agreed. Noticed it in the first time we saw this play out, "Why didn't he just float them both?" and couldn't help but still think that the second time. But yeah, Star Wars is gonna Star Wars and this was never Shakespeare to begin with =D.
    Koriani - Guardians of Forever - BM Huntard on TB; Kharmic - Worgen Druid - TB
    Koriani - none - Dragon of Secret World
    Karmic - Moirae - SWTOR
    inactive: Frith-Rae - Horizons/Istaria; Koriani in multiple old MMOs. I been around a long time.

  10. #3390
    Quote Originally Posted by Koriani View Post
    Ok so THAT's what she was doing? Turning into a Force Wraith?
    Man, I still don't quite get what was going on with that. Others here have said it was more of a teleportation effect, and Sol just got her mid transformation/teleportation. It really confused me because the other time we saw it, was seconds before Kelnacca was taken over by the witches.

    When the witches died as a group - needed a bit more explanation. Was really confusing - "wtf just...happened? they're dead? Did... did the Jedi do that, somehow?"
    Yeah, that made no sense whatsoever. "Oh, their connection was broken, guess they're dead now." Just... why would you even consider using a power that had that kind of consequence? Especially in a hostile environment with multiple Jedi. They greatly outnumbered the Jedi and they all had force powers. There was... just... why risk that when you had superior tactics available?!
    Last edited by Rocksteady 87; Today at 07:10 PM.

  11. #3391
    The Unstoppable Force rhorle's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    20,316
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocksteady 87 View Post
    Man, I still don't quite get what was going on with that. Others here have said it was more of a teleportation effect, and Sol just got her mid transformation/teleportation. It really confused me because the other time we saw it, was seconds before Kelnacca was taken over by the witches.
    Quote Originally Posted by Koriani View Post
    When the witches died as a group - needed a bit more explanation. Was really confusing - "wtf just...happened? they're dead? Did... did the Jedi do that, somehow?"When the matron suddenly...turned into black smoke.. which seem to be the cause of Sol stabbing at her (smoke) with a saber. Again it was just "wtf?
    She was going to teleport herself and Mae elsewhere. Sol didn't understand what it was and thought it was going to harm Mae. So he killed Anisaye to stop it. The "mass death" was explained by Indara not knowing what was going on and was blunt or quick about trying to stop it from harming her co-worker. As a result it killed everyone.

    When Mae asks for help Aniseya not only starts dematerializing her own body, she makes Mae turn into a a shadow as well. What can you tell us about what exactly is happening there and why?

    Headland: Aniseya’s main concern is that violence will be used in this confrontation. Jodie (Turner-Smith) and I talked about that meaning two things. One, that Aniseya must have come from someplace that utilized violence. It’s something she would have seen when she was a child, something that she would’ve endured in her coming of age. So the main concern is obviously the safety of her children, the physical safety of them. The secondary concern is, “I do not want my children or my legacy to be affected by something violent. I want to remove them from whatever that is.”

    The “why” (about the dematerializing) is the first thing that Jodie and I talked about in seeding the character. What she is doing is what Jecki says in episode four, that it’s an honor to see anyone transform into the Force. I believe that Aniseya is transforming herself and Mae into the Force in a way that doesn’t kill them.https://nerdist.com/article/the-acol...and-interview/




    Why did they all die when Indara freed Kelnacca?

    Headland: This was a big question when we were working on the episode. To me, it was very important because it told two stories. One, that Indara, despite her being completely and utterly the consummate Jedi in this episode, I did feel it was important that she also misjudged something. If we were going to explore those themes, she couldn’t just be this infallible Jedi, she also had to have something else going on with her. And I think what she did is, in the moment, in trying to sever the connection between Kelnacca and the witches, she dealt with a power that she did not understand and was unfamiliar with.

    Did she kill them?

    Headland: Yeah. She didn’t know what was going to happen to them.

    So it wasn’t intentional?

    Headland: No, she did not know. All she was thinking was, “I have to save him.” Again, it starts to become a selfish want. “I must save this colleague of mine. I have to do this. If I don’t do this, then something terrible could happen to him. We’ve seen what they’re capable of. I’ve seen them do this to my Padawan. They’re now doing it to an incredibly powerful Jedi master. What do I do? Okay, I’m going to make this decision.”
    Jedi Wookiee Kelnacca with his eyes open on the ground on The Acolyte
    Lucasfilm

    But she doesn’t know what the consequences of that decision will be. The same way that Sol doesn’t know what his actions will mean for Osha’s future. Torbin doesn’t really put together, because he’s so young that, the consequences of his actions are going to lead to all of this falling apart. Indara had to also make that mistake in order to continue exploring that idea.


    https://nerdist.com/article/the-acol...and-interview/
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

  12. #3392
    Quote Originally Posted by Koriani View Post
    Agreed. Noticed it in the first time we saw this play out, "Why didn't he just float them both?" and couldn't help but still think that the second time. But yeah, Star Wars is gonna Star Wars and this was never Shakespeare to begin with =D.
    I think I always just headcannoned it as a if the person is sufficiently strong of will/force, they can resist/break the force hold which is why he held up the bridge instead of grabbing the kids. Especially vergence induced children. Mae or Osha or both could have broken the hold just out of shear force capability.

    Although given risk of injury vs death, id have probably force thrown both of them across the rooms. I wouldnt make a good jedi tho so what do I know

  13. #3393
    Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    B'ham, AL
    Posts
    1,436
    Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    She was going to teleport herself and Mae elsewhere. Sol didn't understand what it was and thought it was going to harm Mae. So he killed Anisaye to stop it. The "mass death" was explained by Indara not knowing what was going on and was blunt or quick about trying to stop it from harming her co-worker. As a result it killed everyone.
    I must have missed the explanation by Indara in the episode, or it happened quick and I didn't connect what she was talking about with what just happened.

    The rest of the quote from the interview, while 'helpful' (lack of better term) now, it should be irrelevant and unnecessary to understanding what was happening in front of the viewer as given by the show. I shouldn't have to look at interviews to know what was intended or meant by a scene. Or at least, not THAT scene, it wasn't deep or had hidden meaning. This isn't "Eyes Wide Shut" =D.

    Not saying any of this to try and spout some extreme "THIS SHOW SUCKS" or "WOKE KILLED IT" or whatever nonsense. Just saying I see good entertainment and flaws both in the show - and I think a few sentences in that scene would have done mucho good to help the viewer 'get what's happening' more clearly.

    And really we know why they had to all die in a group like that - because Disney wasn't spending the money, or the time, in showing a full out saber/Force battle between two groups of Force users in THIS show. *shrugs*
    Koriani - Guardians of Forever - BM Huntard on TB; Kharmic - Worgen Druid - TB
    Koriani - none - Dragon of Secret World
    Karmic - Moirae - SWTOR
    inactive: Frith-Rae - Horizons/Istaria; Koriani in multiple old MMOs. I been around a long time.

  14. #3394
    Merely a Setback PACOX's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    ██████
    Posts
    26,675
    Every once in a while SW takes a step back from being just good group vs bad group.

    We have a bad guy vs bad guy setup in Cave Guy vs Qimir/Osha. We Sols conspiracy that led to several Jedi hiding the truth from the rest of the Jedi to point Vernestra is still covering it up in the end. We have the Senate and Jedi at odds with one another. Exciting story threads.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Koriani View Post

    The rest of the quote from the interview, while 'helpful' (lack of better term) now, it should be irrelevant and unnecessary to understanding what was happening in front of the viewer as given by the show. I shouldn't have to look at interviews to know what was intended or meant by a scene. Or at least, not THAT scene, it wasn't deep or had hidden meaning. This isn't "Eyes Wide Shut" =D.
    I don't think most of the general audience thought much about that scene so it didn't need further explanation in the show. You have to balance action and dialogue with pausing both for explanations. Headland just put what saw on screen to words.


    My weird Force nitpick is Qimir and Mae pretty much teleporting. Qimir teleports inside the fortress and to the girls. Mae teleports into the Sol vs Qimir fight. I laughed every time they did it. I think the ability was supposed to be related to what Aniseya and Koril could but we don't see the smoke when the witches did it. Qimir and Mae just whooshed and appeared, so silly I had to laugh.
    Last edited by PACOX; Today at 08:39 PM.

    Resident Cosplay Progressive

  15. #3395
    The Unstoppable Force rhorle's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    20,316
    Quote Originally Posted by Koriani View Post
    The rest of the quote from the interview, while 'helpful' (lack of better term) now, it should be irrelevant and unnecessary to understanding what was happening in front of the viewer as given by the show. I shouldn't have to look at interviews to know what was intended or meant by a scene. Or at least, not THAT scene, it wasn't deep or had hidden meaning. This isn't "Eyes Wide Shut" =D.
    That's how a lot of fantasy works though. Real world stuff doesn't need further explanation because we know or can reasonable assume how things work. Fantasy, Sci-fi, etc don't often explain things in depth because it would require an entire series dedicated to just that. We already had all the scouts and armed coven members die "off screen" so we it is silly to say budget required them to kill the mind meld coven members a certain way. It is just part of their "thing". The power of many and it has a negative.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

  16. #3396
    Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    That's how a lot of fantasy works though. Real world stuff doesn't need further explanation because we know or can reasonable assume how things work. Fantasy, Sci-fi, etc don't often explain things in depth because it would require an entire series dedicated to just that. We already had all the scouts and armed coven members die "off screen" so we it is silly to say budget required them to kill the mind meld coven members a certain way. It is just part of their "thing". The power of many and it has a negative.
    That was more than just a negative. "Instant death to everyone" isn't a just an inconvenient side effect. It was tantamount to mass suicide, and needless mass suicide to boot. If those same witches had even just used telekinesis to knock them on their asses until one or two of them could abscond with the girls, that would have been a better use of their powers. But no, "let's make it so that we all die instantly and leave the girls completely unpredicted by puppeteering the wookiee cause it'll look cool on screen" was pretty much the choice they made.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    My weird Force nitpick is Qimir and Mae pretty much teleporting. Qimir teleports inside the fortress and to the girls. Mae teleports into the Sol vs Qimir fight. I laughed every time they did it. I think the ability was supposed to be related to what Aniseya and Koril could but we don't see the smoke when the witches did it. Qimir and Mae just whooshed and appeared, so silly I had to laugh.
    Based on what Qimir said right before that happened ("are you sure about that?" when Osha said the elevator was the only way up), I got the impression he flew them both up. Since we already know he's like literally the only force user ever to realize they can use their fucking telekinesis to do that, as it has been both inferred and shown (particularly in episode 3 we see him landing after flying there).

    The weird part about that scene was that Qimir seemed to be thinking it was a secret power he had that Osha didn't know about. Yet earlier when they were on the other planet, they made the crossing to his ship without swimming (neither of them were wet), which also suggested that they got there some other way. With flying being the only really viable means. Unless, you know, they wasted time after swimming to dry themselves off completely before going on their flight.

    If anything, them flying there as fast as they did is more sus. Hyperspace isn't instantaneous travel, yet they pretty much made the journey in no time at all. Unless those planets are super close together (I have no idea whatsoever), that's more of an issue than them getting into the fortress quickly.
    Last edited by Rocksteady 87; Today at 10:07 PM.

  17. #3397
    The Unstoppable Force rhorle's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    20,316
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocksteady 87 View Post
    That was more than just a negative.
    It is still a downside to using a certain power. No different then Robert Jordan having risks to his magic users joining up. Of course they could have done things differently. They could have been smarter. They nearly won with the wookie until a Jedi acted against their normal way and started blasting with their mind. If they won it wouldn't have been silly, right?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rocksteady 87 View Post
    Based on what Qimir said right before that happened ("are you sure about that?" when Osha said the elevator was the only way up), I got the impression he flew them both up. Since we already know he's like literally the only force user ever to realize they can use their fucking telekinesis to do that, as it has been both inferred and shown (particularly in episode 3 we see him landing after flying there).
    Osha is shown hacking the console (timestamp 16:54) and entering the elevator. He didn't fly her up.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    My weird Force nitpick is Qimir and Mae pretty much teleporting. Qimir teleports inside the fortress and to the girls. Mae teleports into the Sol vs Qimir fight. I laughed every time they did it. I think the ability was supposed to be related to what Aniseya and Koril could but we don't see the smoke when the witches did it. Qimir and Mae just whooshed and appeared, so silly I had to laugh.
    They aren't teleporting but just moving around off screen. When Mae attacked sol there is a door/tunnel right behind the direction she came from. The camera purposefully pans away to hide her approach. Nothing implies she had a teleportation power. Same with Qimir at the tree. He is just there but could have arrived by any means. Though he has at least been implied to have a teleportation or "fast travel" ability so it is an option for him.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

  18. #3398
    Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    It is still a downside to using a certain power. No different then Robert Jordan having risks to his magic users joining up. Of course they could have done things differently. They could have been smarter. They nearly won with the wookie until a Jedi acted against their normal way and started blasting with their mind. If they won it wouldn't have been silly, right?
    1.) Blasting with her mind? All she did was "mind meld" with Kelnacca, ending their mind control of him. She basically just put up a mental barrier for him.
    2.) Yes, if that was known to be the effect of having their mind control ended prematurely, it would have been more than silly to use it. It would have been straight up stupid. And it was. Because they all died, and for nothing. The whole point was to save the girls, but using that power they just completely abandoned them.

    Osha is shown hacking the console (timestamp 16:54) and entering the elevator. He didn't fly her up.
    Mmkay. If you say so.
    Last edited by Rocksteady 87; Today at 10:34 PM.

  19. #3399
    The Unstoppable Force rhorle's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    20,316
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocksteady 87 View Post
    1.) Blasting with her mind? All she did was "mind meld" with Kelnacca, ending their mind control of him. She basically just put up a mental barrier for him.
    What do you think she did during the mind meld if not blasting them with her mind? But I see you are being a bit salty with this nitpick over word choice given your response to being given a time stamp of Osha not teleporting.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •