Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by SinR View Post
    And /Thread
    Okay, then why do we change shard while in combat, interacting with NPCs and so on?

And why are there multiple versions of NPCs, when they are interchangeable? Make the NPC in Goldshire always a human, and the one in durotar always an orc.
    That way it's at least not obvious, that sharding tech has major flaws. Don't built upon a broken foundation.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisisvacant View Post
    If you sat the team down and said, "do you intend on the NPC respawning and rerolling it's race and name and all that while the player is interacting with it? Is this the level of fantasy you're trying to deliver?" the answer would be "no but it's a technical limitation." And it is a limitation because it would take too long.
    But this is where you argue gameplay handling vs. story handling.

Do you want a laggy server with more stable immersion, or do you want a stable server with dynamic NPCs pr. phase?
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lochton View Post
    But this is where you argue gameplay handling vs. story handling.

Do you want a laggy server with more stable immersion, or do you want a stable server with dynamic NPCs pr. phase?
    Well it isn't much of an argument - I think the intent of the ops is clear in that there is surely a better way to handle it. And there's an argument to be made that Blizzard cuts corners in production all over the place, to a degree that seems excessive given the monstrous teams working on the game. There's also an argument to be made, given how long in the tooth said production is and how many processes they've streamlined, it isn't that much more work to create unique NPCs for limited time events.

Especially in the case of holiday events - if you've interacted with the very same Christmas NPCs every time, it pays dividends by emboldening the idea that this clan of people are there working for WoW Santa. I haven't seen their sprints but it can't be that much work to add unique NPCs to a set of code they essentially copy paste once a year.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by LordVargK View Post
    Okay, then why do we change shard while in combat, interacting with NPCs and so on?

And why are there multiple versions of NPCs, when they are interchangeable? Make the NPC in Goldshire always a human, and the one in durotar always an orc.
    That way it's at least not obvious, that sharding tech has major flaws. Don't built upon a broken foundation.
    Cause sometimes the game changes your shard, even while in combat, even while interacting with npcs.

why are there multiple versions of an npc? cause there is multiple people in the world?

- - - Updated - - -

Well it isn't much of an argument - I think the intent of the ops is clear in that there is surely a better way to handle it. And there's an argument to be made that Blizzard cuts corners in production all over the place, to a degree that seems excessive given the monstrous teams working on the game. There's also an argument to be made, given how long in the tooth said production is and how many processes they've streamlined, it isn't that much more work to create unique NPCs for limited time events.

Especially in the case of holiday events - if you've interacted with the very same Christmas NPCs every time, it pays dividends by emboldening the idea that this clan of people are there working for WoW Santa. I haven't seen their sprints but it can't be that much work to add unique NPCs to a set of code they essentially copy paste once a year.
    How is it cutting corners when they are doing MORE work to make the world MORE immersive by having npcs change each time you see them, cause you are seeing a new npc each time.

when you go to a store you don't expect to see the EXACT SAME PERSON every time every day no matter the time.
    the game uses this all over to make npcs seem more different then they really are.
    they literally did create unique npcs for limited time events, they made them even more unique by making multiple npcs it can cycle through.

also no, you don't interact with the very same christmas npc ever time...
    The winter reveler literally has every race with every gender that they cycle through.

you really have this entirely backwards if you think blizzard making more npcs requires less work, and they have somehow cut corners here, when they have gone out of their way to make it MORE unqiue.
    Instead of going "oh yeah the vendor will always be the exact same everywhere all the time" each of them cycles through ones randomly throughout the event, so ever time you go there it is someone else, cause that is what happens.
    Last edited by FelPlague; 2024-04-07 at 02:35 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    Remove combat, Mobs, PvP, and Difficult Content

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by FelPlague View Post
    Cause sometimes the game changes your shard, even while in combat, even while interacting with npcs.

why are there multiple versions of an npc? cause there is multiple people in the world?

- - - Updated - - -

How is it cutting corners when they are doing MORE work to make the world MORE immersive by having npcs change each time you see them, cause you are seeing a new npc each time.
    Sorry, no. That is not "more work." It is less work. I don't know how else to explain it. Learn about game development, I guess. Furthermore, one would expect them to have learned how to cut corners in production by now. They do not build events today the same way they did 20 fucking years ago. That much should be common sense.

when you go to a store you don't expect to see the EXACT SAME PERSON every time every day no matter the time.
    the game uses this all over to make npcs seem more different then they really are.
    How often does the cashier fade out of reality and a completely different person fades back in their place at the stores you visit?

you really have this entirely backwards if you think blizzard making more npcs requires less work, and they have somehow cut corners here, when they have gone out of their way to make it MORE unqiue.
    Instead of going "oh yeah the vendor will always be the exact same everywhere all the time" each of them cycles through ones randomly throughout the event,
    Uh, they can still set an NPC to reroll at the start of an event or a day or an hour. It makes absolutely no sense to say it is more immersive that this is an orc on Lightninghoof and a belf on Khaz Modan. The event is not built from scratch on each server.

10+ Year Old Account

But the whole point is that the events are meant to feel more inclusive and dynamic. That is the opposite of cutting corners to make multiple versions of NPCs just so that they can crowd shards differently instead of always getting generic human A for spring, generic dwarf B for Winter's Veil, screw the other races. I mean, to me, it breaks immersion knowing that it'll always be the same race being the revelers for X event depending on where it is.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lochton View Post
    But the whole point is that the events are meant to feel more inclusive and dynamic. That is the opposite of cutting corners to make multiple versions of NPCs just so that they can crowd shards differently instead of always getting generic human A for spring, generic dwarf B for Winter's Veil, screw the other races. I mean, to me, it breaks immersion knowing that it'll always be the same race being the revelers for X event depending on where it is.
    Bear in mind, we are specifically referring to a situation where the player is sharding onto a different server. There is no reason that every event on every server has random NPCs. There are fixes for this that are immersive and allow for depth of world (ie. it doesn't always have to be the same orc). Btw, random isn't really random in this context. There is still a set amount of combinations, depending on the faction.

Literally the topic of the thread describes the premise to a T.
    Last edited by chrisisvacant; 2024-04-07 at 02:54 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Sorry, no. That is not "more work." It is less work. I don't know how else to explain it. Learn about game development, I guess. Furthermore, one would expect them to have learned how to cut corners in production by now. They do not build events today the same way they did 20 fucking years ago. That much should be common sense.

How often does the cashier fade out of reality and a completely different person fades back in their place at the stores you visit?

Uh, they can still set an NPC to reroll at the start of an event or a day or an hour. It makes absolutely no sense to say it is more immersive that this is an orc on Lightninghoof and a belf on Khaz Modan. The event is not built from scratch on each server.
    I can't even begin to attempt this. I need a drink. Enjoy your day mate, cause this is just depressing.

15+ Year Old Account
    I can't even begin to attempt this. I need a drink. Enjoy your day mate, cause this is just depressing.
    Cool beans.

10+ Year Old Account
    Bear in mind, we are specifically referring to a situation where the player is sharding onto a different server. There is no reason that every event on every server has random NPCs. There are fixes for this that are immersive and allow for depth of world (ie. it doesn't always have to be the same orc). Btw, random isn't really random in this context. There is still a set amount of combinations, depending on the faction.

Literally the topic of the thread describes the premise to a T.
    But nothing really happened other than the phasing, he went to a different 'world' where NPCs have switched around, and some spawns aren't the same - literally down to how it is planned to work and should work. The OP got sharded, so, of course there is a chance that it is a different reveler.

Well it isn't much of an argument - I think the intent of the ops is clear in that there is surely a better way to handle it.
    If there is such an argument to be made, it can be made far better than OP's thinly-veiled "how dare diversity and gender-bending"

Not exactly like this, but I often notice that person A sits at the register when I enter the store, but by the time I get there with my items, person B sits there. It's called a shift change.

There are fixes for this that are immersive and allow for depth of world (ie. it doesn't always have to be the same orc).
    You are so close to getting it.
    But your duty to Azeroth is not yet complete. More is demanded of you... a price the living cannot pay.

when you go to a store you don't expect to see the EXACT SAME PERSON every time

https://www.wowhead.com/npc=3322/kaja#comments

There's a reason people disregard IRL and chose to play WoW instead.

For one thing; familiar and dependable NPC vendors that become so entrenched in the community, they become staple figures adored by the players.

"Zappy Boi" was literally a random no-name NPC that became a core part of the BfA story. Players have always preferred named NPCs that are there waiting in Azeroth for you; not generic placeholders that rotate between race and gender while you're literally buying wares from them.

When I go to the Dalaran bank, I always go to Paymaster Alstein from WotLK to Legion. And am forever grateful Blizzard didn't just cop out and fill the bank a decade ago with randomly rotating "Bank Teller" NPCs.
    Last edited by thottstation; 2024-04-10 at 12:47 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by thottstation View Post
    Mhm?
    What about it?
    not all npcs are named.