Populating the World

Making the life in the Eastern Kingdoms and Kalimdor flourish again is something I think would benefit the game greatly, and I've been pondering the subject for a long time. And by that, I mean getting the player population engaged with the old zones again, not only fill them with new quests or NPCs. There have been developments in the game that could be implemented for this exact purpose, which I will list below, but I'd like to know what you guys' ideas are on what would get you back out there.

World Quests
    Implementing world quests across all continents could be interesting and give players a choice of background, so to speak, when engaging in this content. The return of "Complete 4 WQ's of this faction" from Legion could tie well together with the next point.

New reputation system and cosmetic rewards
    A very simple update to certain factions in questing zones with a few cosmetics rewards could be enough to get players engaged in old zones. Imagine Wildhammer related items to Hinterlands or Wastelander outfits in Gadgetzan.

Zone events
    This would need a greater effort of development but to me it's weird it's never been done in 20 years of WoW. It can look similar to faction assaults or Legion invasions. That could be a troll ritual to summon a demigod in STV or Blackrock Orcs attacking Lakeshire or whatever small local threats there are across the map.

Another hope for this is implementing the Delves tech here for certain places in zones, be it the troll temple in Hinterlands or Satyr uprising in Ashenvale. A short outdoor minidungeon with a few tactics to make the content more engaging, with loot rewards at the end.

The Mechanic of the Eye of the Jailer
    This mechanic has a lot of potential for highly hostile vanilla zones like Burning Steppes, EPL, Silithus, the Blasted Lands. I'm not necessarily talking about a 1:1 implementation, but making enemies in zones reactionary, not letting you go on slaughtering without consequences. In these zones higher difficulty factions could reside, making the grind a bit more difficult and time consuming but with more cosmetic rewards and weapon illusions for example.

Capital Expeditions
    On a weekly mission from faction leaders you're set out on ground mount to retrieve certain artifacts of interest for you city and returning it unscathed. This mode would be heavily inspired by hardcore WoW and the "stretching of the tether" feeling we had when going far fromtown in vanilla. Let's say you venture out from Stormwind with the objective to find a Dwarf convoy carrying a newly found and likely titan alloy found in Un'Goro, but reports of it say it's been attacked on its way to Theramore (let's say). You travel out with your loyal steed, find the convoy, do some investigating finding traces that lead to find them cooked in Razorfen Downs, kill a few elite mobs, retrieve the alloy and you will now have to return it to Stormwind without dying, the previous mechanic therefore implemented or similar to 6 stars in GTA, or "scripted returns" where a last boss and his crew await you at the docks of your vessel.

Warfronts
    Further developing the Warfronts and adding more of them (also a PvP version, taking inspiration from Wintergrasp) would do good for populating the world, as it briefly did in BfA. This feature to me has so much potential that for some reason was completely disregarded.

Weekly kill contracts
    Kill x amount of Horde/Alliance players in the Barrens, in Feralas, whatever zone in rotation. Rewards weekly cap of conquest. At this point, I think no one would be offended if there was an option to gear via World PvP. In competetive playing most players prefer an even playing field and having more ways to engage in PvP (at the same time populating the world) would benefit the game.

Each Old World region will get its turn as the setting of a new expansion.

The Revamp begins with Quel'Thalas and Northrend.

Blizzard clearly understood that the average player (barring Contrarians who just want to disagree with everything) doesn't care about Random Asspulled Planet #22, which is why the two most important expansions in Modern WoW history will be set in Revamped Quel'Thalas and Revamped Northrend (aka the Old World).

After that they will continue to revamp Old World regions as it fits a given new expansion.

Quote Originally Posted by Varodoc View Post
    Each Old World region will get its turn as the setting of a new expansion.

The Revamp begins with Quel'Thalas and Northrend.

Blizzard clearly understood that the average player (barring Contrarians who just want to disagree with everything) doesn't care about Random Asspulled Planet #22, which is why the two most important expansions in Modern WoW history will be set in Revamped Quel'Thalas and Revamped Northrend (aka the Old World).

After that they will continue to revamp Old World regions as it fits a given new expansion.
    That's fine, but the subject here is populating the whole world outside of temporary patch relevancy.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've always had the dream of having Blizzard using their AI to create NPCs that can level up. The more players/NPC civilians they kill, the more wanted this special one becomes till it in the end becomes an event rare.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

I like the idea of looking for ways to populate the world a little bit more. Move people out of the capital.

I think your capital expedition and Eye of the Jailer-mechanic could be easily combined.

Quote Originally Posted by Lochton View Post
    I've always had the dream of having Blizzard using their AI to create NPCs that can level up. The more players/NPC civilians they kill, the more wanted this special one becomes till it in the end becomes an event rare.
    That's a very interesting idea, could be fun combined with World Events that let's say a tribe leader during an assault needs to be killed quickly or else it gets completely out of hand and you'd need a 20 man raid to down him (at most).

Quote Originally Posted by Lochton View Post
    That could be interesting, especially if it can eventually accelerates into a world boss-esque level of stuff that takes an entire zone of players to do (Ala GW2).

Quote Originally Posted by fazaim View Post
    I'd like to know what you guys' ideas are on what would get you back out there.
    Difficult and rewarding outdoor content, like how Timeless Isle was during MoP. You could fight threatening elites and rares to get heroic raid gear, as well as transmogs and mounts. The issue with current overworld content is that the mobs aren't challenging to fight, the droprates for the cosmetics is so absurdly low there was no reason to bother.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by PenguinChan View Post
    That could be interesting, especially if it can eventually accelerates into a world boss-esque level of stuff that takes an entire zone of players to do (Ala GW2).
    GW2 style meta events are pretty fun. Auric Basin where you have four groups at the different corners of the map lighting up beacons and fighting dragon minibosses before converging for an assault on the central city. Dragon's Stand with three different raids pushing down the lanes and fighting minibosses and then converging for the final fight against a huge, serpentine wooden dragon. Dragonfall where you again have three raid groups pushing down different lanes and fighting bosses before the final showdown. Drizzlewood Coast and Dragon's End... again three different lanes before converging. Key thing here is that the meta events had good pacing (which micro event lasts about 2 to 3 minutes, and then you get a 30 second break until the next one, or if you just wanted immediate action you could transfer to another lane), and a spectacular final fight. And just because they are outdoor content doesn't mean they have to be easy compared to instanced raids. Really, the "instanced raids have to be harder and more challenging than outdoor content" is wrong and outdated. It's a format that works for raid guilds, not necessarily a better format for everyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    GW2 style meta events are pretty fun. Auric Basin where you have four groups at the different corners of the map lighting up beacons and fighting dragon minibosses before converging for an assault on the central city. Dragon's Stand with three different raids pushing down the lanes and fighting minibosses and then converging for the final fight against a huge, serpentine wooden dragon. Dragonfall where you again have three raid groups pushing down different lanes and fighting bosses before the final showdown. Drizzlewood Coast and Dragon's End... again three different lanes before converging. Key thing here is that the meta events had good pacing (which micro event lasts about 2 to 3 minutes, and then you get a 30 second break until the next one, or if you just wanted immediate action you could transfer to another lane), and a spectacular final fight. And just because they are outdoor content doesn't mean they have to be easy compared to instanced raids. Really, the "instanced raids have to be harder and more challenging than outdoor content" is wrong and outdated. It's a format that works for raid guilds, not necessarily a better format for everyone else.
    I prefer the Destiny 2 route of where you can optionally hard-mode events (And only players who know what to do to achieve that). This prevents nobodies and clueless newbies from activating it on accident, but those who know (and collectively) activate it can have a shot at the hard mode. I prefer systems like that, where everyone has to essentially 'agree' to do it. Without enough players to activate hard mode, it won't be possible. But obviously they should still not make things like world events faceroll. Make it so I have to move around at the very LEAST lol. Dodging things and doing mechanics, even if gimmicky is way more engaging than letting some tank spank the 20 foot boss from a legion portal with an occasional fire wall mechanic.

Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    Really, the "instanced raids have to be harder and more challenging than outdoor content" is wrong and outdated. It's a format that works for raid guilds, not necessarily a better format for everyone else.
    Couldn't agree more, and I think seeing a spike in classic popularity during the Hardcore trend proves this. It gave a pretty mundane questing experience (mechanically too, paladin comes to mind) some real consequences, which added layers of fun to it. That's why I'm eager to see how Delves play out and am hopeful about their development and implementation to other areas. Hopefully, they'll also be a passtime for people having completed gearing, a feature in which you use acquired gear.

Jintha'alor in vanilla comes to mind, ascending that troll temple in Hinterlands felt like a minidungeon back then. If those experiences were elaborated upon and also gave rewards, I think it would rapidly diffuse the population into the many zones we no longer visit.

The thing about the World Revamp movement is, even if we get a new skin for the zones with new quests, there's no feature or content out there that'll make us continually return there.

if you think "put the content in old zones to get players there" is a new idea i have a bridge to sell you...
    and as a sidenote, we had new content in old zones previously, and what was result? people complained we get old zones instead of new zones... not that i agree, but that was "trend" on forums when it happened

This concepts are fun, thats why they exist in different games that dont offer what WoW offers.

Which is why they dont work for WoW.

WoW is a gear chaser MMO, or was, now its even worse a season gear chaser MMO cause it fits the gaming of 2020+, quick bursts of gameplay that can feel rewarding.

Despite what you believe, mmo-champion 10 weirdos spamming the same shit over and over, do not represent the "casuals" at all, or the true casuals.

If anything in WoW doesnt provide a reward thats power gain, people complain, casuals or hardcores, call them whatever.

If you add too much of irrelevant crap that do that, people complain even more.

They dont mind doing them for a few times, but after that, hell no, the game has involved past that crap and people need to accept it.

I am not saying they shouldnt attempt new things, but there is a very slippery slope of "This is irrelevant crap!" and "This is fun!".

As example GW2 massive zone events are fun, the first time, maybe the second, but when you realize people do these for months to get crafting materials for skins...Eh.

You guys had to do Torghast for 3 weeks and supposedly thats the worse shit ever.
    Last edited by potis; 2024-04-13 at 10:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lolites View Post
    if you think "put the content in old zones to get players there" is a new idea i have a bridge to sell you...
    and as a sidenote, we had new content in old zones previously, and what was result? people complained we get old zones instead of new zones... not that i agree, but that was "trend" on forums when it happened
    If we adjust your sentence a bit removing the word the and just say "Put content in old zones to get players there." Like the reputation idea for cosmetic rewards, why not. The regular expansions would still be the main attraction as always.

Quote Originally Posted by potis View Post
    This concepts are fun, thats why they exist in different games that dont offer what WoW offers.

Which is why they dont work for WoW.
    I don't get your argumentation. In recent weeks we've just seen the success of a Battle Royale mode in WoW, five years after BR the craze. WoW's most popular feature, Mythic+, was taken from Diablo 3 and implemented 12 years after launch. I don't see where "casuals" have been mentioned in the post.

Quote Originally Posted by fazaim View Post
    That's fine, but the subject here is populating the whole world outside of temporary patch relevancy.
    And how would you populate all older zones at the same time? Even with what you suggest, that would only work if the focus shifted from time to time, highlighting this or that zone. Never all of them together.

So unless you just meant "populate my favorite zones", it'd be just that temporary patch relevancy in another color.
    But your duty to Azeroth is not yet complete. More is demanded of you... a price the living cannot pay.

Quote Originally Posted by Nathanyel View Post
    And how would you populate all older zones at the same time? Even with what you suggest, that would only work if the focus shifted from time to time, highlighting this or that zone. Never all of them together.

So unless you just meant "populate my favorite zones", it'd be just that temporary patch relevancy in another color.
    I meant to initiate a conversation about how, to get people's ideas on the matter. Out of my own ideas, each one would have a different outcome on how many at a time, I imagine. Adding more Warfronts would take time, while adding a weekly quest that makes an old zone the place to farm Conquest would make it instant although on rotation. Same with WQ's, which are just recycled quests, if they tuned a few of them in each zone to reward base max level gear like any place else in the current expansion it would be an instant effect, while also giving people the choice where to do these mundane daily tasks.

What interests me is mostly the use of existing tech for this purpose, like the guy mentioning AI NPC that can get increasingly dangerous.
    Last edited by fazaim; 2024-04-13 at 11:28 PM.

MOST WANTED world pvp system
    Leaderboard of most famous assassins...rewards for getting them.

Oh right...they say pvp in wow is deadge my dream will never come true