Poll: Who was the Best Villain in the History of WoW?

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Soimu View Post
    It's like the Curse of Doom from warlock. When the timer ends you will feel it.
    I think it's more like those "RNG god hates me" debuff, which exists only between the ears of certain people.

Hogger.

Jokes asides, Lich King.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vlyse View Post
    The Incarnates, as an ensemble, could have been among the best villains. I love when we get a group of villains working together and playing off each other, kinda like WOD. I was hyped when Razsageth unlocked their prisons, but they all drifted apart pretty quickly. A raid fight against Fyrakk and Vyranoth teamed up together, would've been cooler and a more credible threat.

Also the way they were setting up Keeper Tyr would've been a good shock villain (at least, a shock to the Aspects and other characters), but I think they're saving evil titans for TLT now.
    The Blizzard team seems to think that bad guys primarily cannot exist in the same world as good guys. It's kinda weird. Why would the primal incarnates fold so easily? Weird.

Honestly Garrosh.

Arthas was cool in WC3 but a mess in WoW.Writers can't decide if he's evil incarnate or actually a good guy who got tricked.

Garrosh is just unapologetically himself from start to finish.

Quote Originally Posted by Myradin View Post
    Honestly Garrosh.

Arthas was cool in WC3 but a mess in WoW.Writers can't decide if he's evil incarnate or actually a good guy who got tricked.

Garrosh is just unapologetically himself from start to finish.
    His big flaw is that "himself" meant very different things to different writers. Is he a ruthless but somewhat respectable warlord trying to wage war with some semblance of honor to guide him? A hotheaded moron whose only battle plan is to charge in and who sees everyone who isn't a lackey as a threat? An intelligent mastermind who runs circles around Alliance plans? Or Literally Orc Hitler? He's been all of those things at various points in time.

Once they decided he'd actually be a villain he hit his stride, and that part of the character is the best. But it was such a mess to get there however.
    It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built -Kreia

The internet: where to every action is opposed an unequal overreaction.

Lich King, got a whole arc from his uprise toward his downfall.

p.s. Garrosh is not a villian but a hero.
    He made Kalimdor a safe and stable continent for the future of the Horde and that the Horde can claim all of the continent for a bright future.
    Last edited by tromage2; 2024-04-22 at 07:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tromage2 View Post
    Lich King, got a whole arc from his uprise toward his downfall.

He made Kalimdor a safe and stable continent for the future of the Horde and that the Horde can claim all of the continent for a bright future.
    He also told Tauren and Trolls and other races they were not good enough to be part of HIS Horde. And killed a lot of innocents in Pandaria. And consorted with old gods.

"I Am Vengeance. I Am The Night. I Am Felfáádaern!"

10+ Year Old Account
    the most iconic is the lich king or illidan. but the best villain is sargeras hands down.

Quote Originally Posted by Uggorthaholy View Post
    Thanks but no thanks, Lora, for making me question everything in existence forever.

Quote Originally Posted by tromage2 View Post
    Orc Hitler playing with Old God powers, almost destroying his own forces in the process, because of delusions of grandeur on top of being a whiny cry baby in Wrath only to proceed from tantrum to tantrum for the rest of his time in game.

I swear the only people who still like Garrosh are the people with fanfic of him wrapping them in his arms and having his way with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Felfaadaern Darkterror View Post
    He also told Tauren and Trolls and other races they were not good enough to be part of HIS Horde. And killed a lot of innocents in Pandaria. And consorted with old gods.
    But backstabbing some of your most loyal and oldest allies in the name of being racist is totally classic hero!
    “Logic: The art of thinking and reasoning in strict accordance with the limitations and incapacities of the human misunderstanding.”
    "Conservative, n: A statesman who is enamored of existing evils, as distinguished from the Liberal who wishes to replace them with others."
    Ambrose Bierce
    The Bird of Hermes Is My Name, Eating My Wings To Make Me Tame.

I will rank it like this rather than having a tier list or anything like that:

Most memorable antagonist: The Lich King
    Iconic as someone who played Warcraft 3 before Wow, obviously I was invested in arthas as a character and playing as him to later play against him was a truly memorable journey. The fact he is a constant presence in WOTLK made him a valued main villian though his role is largely to remind you he exists the occasionally do some evil shit to foil your intents. That being said I did enjoy him alot and his introduction was iconic especially if you played the DK questline first just to see him wipe the floor with most of the Ebons/Argent.

Most impactful antagonist: Garrosh
    Garrosh was a perfect example of how to write a fallen hero trope right. We start him off as Grom's successor in TBC trying to live in his fathers shadow, and in WOTLK we see signs of his fall into darkness but it isnt complete. By Cataclysm his warcrimes are becomming more counted but there is still some last ebb of honor fighting for its redemption and by MoP he fell into a desperation to be as glorious as Grom was, only to loose sight of what that meant. His death in WoD felt like a perfect closure, a man who was destroyed by his own dreams and goals trying to live in his fathers shadow rather than define his own legacy. And yet, in a twisted way, he redeemed the Iron Horde, so in some bitter-sweet way, he actually lives on in the AU Mag'har we recruit.

Most epic antagonist: Sargeras
    Undeniably the lore relevent character of the century. I really love N'zoth and Azshara, but the way blizzard handled them in BFA made me enraged at how they treated them as a wasted potential instead of really using them to their fullest. Sargeras was built up ever since WC1 and his conclusive imprisonment was oddly satisfying in its own way, though man, he was such a cool presence, and his impact quite literally shattered the world in a way even Deathwing couldnt. In my opinion, Legion was the most epic of wow's narrative and seeing my man try to stab Azeroth then being dragged to the Pantheon for some jail time was a poetic defeat having failed to destroy them utterly. Though I do hope to see him return on our side in last titan doing an epic kaiju battle with aman'thul.

Worst Antagonist: The Jailor
    Sylvanas would have won this based on what was wasted around her, but The Jailor being such a pointless "I did all that" villian made him weak and unmemorable. Introducing a dude that was always there in the background only works if there is buildup, like N'zoth and the other old gods. Jailor felt like a worse version of the old gods with a less compelling end game that felt ultimatley shoehorned in to make some weird addition to the cosmic lore of wow, but it just missed every mark possible and felt niche and pointless.

Sylvanas also wins runner up for this reward for being teased to have some amazing master plan that literally crossed Legion, BFA and Shadowlands and yet we got the reveal that... actually the Jailor was the one with the cool idea? It was a wasted opportunity, frankly her death would have been more impactful in Shadowlands than her continued existance but they are determined to keep her going which narratively feels pointless, if they dont do something genuinely decent with that thread in Midnight they are wasting her completley.

In WoW, it has to be Garrosh. Garrosh is the only thing that resembles a well written villain in-game with some depth. Gul'dan is a close second because he oozes just being all around awful but obviously he's designed to be mostly one note.

GETTING to Mists was messy, they treat his early appearances like someone about 10 years younger than he actually is, he's given totally undue reign to fuck things up in Wrath that Thrall would've killed or imprisoned for with anyone else, and I don't feel Heart of War did anything to clarify the transition from TBC to Wrath in terms of his aggression towards a people he has literally never met. But once they actually committed to him, it worked.

WoW's handling of Arthas once they actually got him on screen was laughable. I can't even be assed to care as much about 35 anima as others because I feel they already drove him into the ground.
    Last edited by Vakir; 2024-04-26 at 06:47 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackmist View Post
    Everyone says Arthas, and I can see their point. He's very memorable, but he's just a man.

My pick will always be Yogg-Saron. Influenced events for millennia, nobody even knew. That's power.
    By that logic, Jailer should be top of the list.
    We're all newbs, some are just more newbier than others.

Just a burned out hardcore raider turned casual.
    I'm tired. So very tired. Can I just lay my head on your lap and fall asleep?
    #TeamFuckEverything

5+ Year Old Account
    why is Ozruk in the list? Lmao

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostile View Post
    I think it's more like those "RNG god hates me" debuff, which exists only between the ears of certain people.
    Maybe "RNG" should have been on the list. I bet it would have gotten votes!

"I Am Vengeance. I Am The Night. I Am Felfáádaern!"

Quote Originally Posted by Felfaadaern Darkterror View Post
    Maybe "RNG" should have been on the list. I bet it would have gotten votes!
    Absolutely!

I have to go with Arthas. The whole Scourge storyline was the pinnacle of Warcraft lore for me. There was something extremely personal and intimate about the whole storyline that I can't even verbalize properly.
    Meanwhile, back on Azeroth, the overwhelming majority of the orcs languished in internment camps. One Orc had a dream. A dream to reunite the disparate souls trapped under the lock and key of the Alliance. So he raided the internment camps, freeing those orcs that he could, and reached out to a downtrodden tribe of trolls to aid him in rebuilding a Horde where orcs could live free of the humans who defeated them so long ago. That orc's name was... Rend.

Quote Originally Posted by SinR View Post
    By that logic, Jailer should be top of the list.
    Yeah, but he sucked so bad I actually quit the game.

Arthas and its not even close to me, anyone else was just second hand (well Garrosh was decent)

How come the actual best villain is not on the poll?

Like Bruh, Kael'thas is literally one of the best-written villains in all of WoW, with one of the most iconic Boss fights ever, to the point that people are still farming him 20 years later in Legacy raids. And he is not on the poll?

Ridiculous.
    The Void. A force of infinite hunger. Its whispers have broken the will of dragons... and lured even the titans' own children into madness. Sages and scholars fear the Void. But we understand a truth they do not. That the Void is a power to be harnessed... to be bent by a will strong enough to command it. The Void has shaped us... changed us. But you will become its master. Wield the shadows as a weapon to save our world... and defend the Alliance!

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't know who's the best, but Arthas is sure massively overrated.

In my opinion, WoTLK has damaged his character a lot.