Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Witchblade77 View Post
    I'm not the only one who thought this and not everyone thought... differently.

and again - if borrowed power is a concept that exists - which it does... you are only behind for a little bit before you hit the cap along with everyone else. heck... even with current concept I'm personaly always "behind" because I level slower and all that means for me is that I just don't bother with world bosses etc until I hit torment. D4 doesn't have infinite progression. and the most time consuming part of it - lilith's altars and skill points from zone achievements - is already shared between seasonal and eternal, so that argument about being behind and starting at an even field from scratch? doesn't really hold much merit.

but yeah, ok, lets trying to talk about personal preference as if its an objective fact. your personal preference for seasonal realms does NOT make them a better design than keeping everyone together.
    There is no borrowed power, seasonal things are being kept and turned into aspects and such, characters this season are magnitudes stronger than previous seasons and characters will continue to get more powerful as seasons go by.

Seasonal realms is the best design for this style of game, no one is split up because the amount of players playing eternal is miniscule, the game would be boring as heck if there was no seasons and reasons to make new characters and builds.
    STAR-J4R9-YYK4 use this for 5000 credits in star citizen

Quote Originally Posted by kenn9530 View Post
    There is no borrowed power, seasonal things are being kept and turned into aspects and such, characters this season are magnitudes stronger than previous seasons and characters will continue to get more powerful as seasons go by.

Seasonal realms is the best design for this style of game, no one is split up because the amount of players playing eternal is miniscule, the game would be boring as heck if there was no seasons and reasons to make new characters and builds.
    consider. just for a moment. that the reason people are barely playing on eternal realms... is because there is nothing NEW on eternal realms? that all the added content is relegated to seasonal realms and so people gravitate to new content because its the only way to acess it - the whole fact that people are basically sitting on characters that they are nt playing because there is no point IS the reason not to separate into two realms to begin with - eternal realm is a nothing burger its currently a character graveyard and I'm not sure how you can look at this and say - yep, this is great design.

and that if this was not a thing if there was only one kind of realm.. people would just... play there?

moreover... yes, there is absolutely borrowed power. you do not get to keep seasonal affixes. they all go away once season is over. gear is reset. season specific talents or whatever are disabled. its already IN game. if characters are stronger due to general tuning - they are stronger on BOTH realms. and if they are only stronger because of seasonal powers - and I repeat - those seasonal powers go away at the end of the season! we don't have unlimited paragon levels anymore either so once you hit 100 - that's it, the only progression is gear and since the gear specifics change every season anyway.... you see where I'm going with this.

and even summoning materials/gold are not really an issue because 1. gold is stupidly easy to get as long as you keep doing tasks for the tree which you are probably doing anyway if you are doing seasonal stuff. 2. summoning materials can always be reset if its THAT big of a deal, though honestly, with how quickly they farm up just through casual play, I don't see the point. /shrug.

this division into realms is arbitrary and is NOT necessary on order to be able to balance the game. I do wonder... what happens when you hit max number of characters.... do you just have to start deleting them if you want to play seasonal content? where do you go from there?

consider. just for a moment. that the reason people are barely playing on eternal realms... is because there is nothing NEW on eternal realms? that all the added content is relegated to seasonal realms and so people gravitate to new content because its the only way to acess it - the whole fact that people are basically sitting on characters that they are nt playing because there is no point IS the reason not to separate into two realms to begin with - eternal realm is a nothing burger its currently a character graveyard and I'm not sure how you can look at this and say - yep, this is great design.

and that if this was not a thing if there was only one kind of realm.. people would just... play there?

moreover... yes, there is absolutely borrowed power. you do not get to keep seasonal affixes. they all go away once season is over. gear is reset. season specific talents or whatever are disabled. its already IN game. if characters are stronger due to general tuning - they are stronger on BOTH realms. and if they are only stronger because of seasonal powers - and I repeat - those seasonal powers go away at the end of the season! we don't have unlimited paragon levels anymore either so once you hit 100 - that's it, the only progression is gear and since the gear specifics change every season anyway.... you see where I'm going with this.

and even summoning materials/gold are not really an issue because 1. gold is stupidly easy to get as long as you keep doing tasks for the tree which you are probably doing anyway if you are doing seasonal stuff. 2. summoning materials can always be reset if its THAT big of a deal, though honestly, with how quickly they farm up just through casual play, I don't see the point. /shrug.

this division into realms is arbitrary and is NOT necessary on order to be able to balance the game. I do wonder... what happens when you hit max number of characters.... do you just have to start deleting them if you want to play seasonal content? where do you go from there?
    You delete them and make a new one? Why would you keep a seasonal character beyond the season in which you played it? It's not like you're going to use it again next time.

Who gives a shit about borrowed power when seasonal characters are limited to seasons? Borrowed power is a warcraft issue. Furthermore, there is no borrowed power in this particular season at all; the "new features" are global to the game.

You can make whatever argument you like for eternal realms, they simply aren't the model that this (or frankly any) arpg works under. There was no rational way to reach the assumption that the seasonal model of D4 would be anything other than exactly what it is. They may add more or less of any given season to the base game depending on how well they think it fits, but if you went into it expecting as such, that was on a basis of your assumption and not any information from Blizzard or precedent from the genre.

Quote Originally Posted by Delekii View Post
    You delete them and make a new one? Why would you keep a seasonal character beyond the season in which you played it? It's not like you're going to use it again next time.

Who gives a shit about borrowed power when seasonal characters are limited to seasons? Borrowed power is a warcraft issue. Furthermore, there is no borrowed power in this particular season at all; the "new features" are global to the game.

You can make whatever argument you like for eternal realms, they simply aren't the model that this (or frankly any) arpg works under. There was no rational way to reach the assumption that the seasonal model of D4 would be anything other than exactly what it is. They may add more or less of any given season to the base game depending on how well they think it fits, but if you went into it expecting as such, that was on a basis of your assumption and not any information from Blizzard or precedent from the genre.
    I think this is where the most disconnect lies. I don't understand this "you just delete the character" if I invest all this time and effort into a character - I want to keep it.

and I had no assumptions about seasons, I played Diablo 3 - primarily on eternal realm and after trying 2 seasons, I was done with the game for good. I have OPINIONS on seasons and and that opinion is that seasonal realms do not need to exist for the game and its balance to be good. if you are so into deleting characters - they don't have to be seasonal ones.
    Last edited by Witchblade77; 2024-06-16 at 02:43 PM.

Seasonal affixes and such are being integrated into the gear system so they are not just limited to seasons, there is no real borrowed power because the next season you have even more power than the season before so no character is ever limited.

No one should play on eternal realms because the game is designed around seasons, you make a new char gear it up, the game would be bad if it didn't have seasons where everyone has a fresh start, it takes very little time now to get to max level and make a powerful build, these games cant work without everyone playing seasons and starting fresh.

You just delete extra characters, there is no reason to keep any of your old chars atm because all their gear is old compared to the new system, i have one eternal realm char i kept so far and thats it, eternal realm is there so you don't lose anything between seasons.

Seasons is the only reason to play an ARPG, you get a fresh start and can choose to play different builds or a class you have not touched yet, i barely even touch necro until now and i still have barely touched barb or rogue and have played every season so far.
    Last edited by kenn9530; 2024-06-16 at 04:40 PM.
    STAR-J4R9-YYK4 use this for 5000 credits in star citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Delekii View Post
    You can make whatever argument you like for eternal realms, they simply aren't the model that this (or frankly any) arpg works under.
    Laugh in Grim Dawn.

That baffles me when people continue thinking Seasonal realms are THE thing, but yet everyone complains that the leveling is just so utterly garbage that you resort to the quickest method to avoid/reduce it at all costs.

And about the argument "yeah but all ARPGs do that", well, just play other ARPGs. At this point, I swear, are you saying you're happy that Blizzard is copy-pasting everything from whatever is the trendy games out there without trying to re-invent / invent anything ? Cool story

I wish they had something a little more punchy going on this S4. Loot revamp is nice, and I do enjoy those aspects the most. Last Epoch, Path of Exile and Torchlight are all dropping new seasons in the next few weeks. The loot rework hasn't been enough to make me really get it this season. I am still playing casually and think many of the changes have been rather good though.

Maybe the next step for loot could be something more expansive. Maybe not POE levels of crafting but LE has a nice balance between granular crafting and direct linear upgrades.

I just need something to sink my teeth into.

Quote Originally Posted by Ophenia View Post
    That baffles me when people continue thinking Seasonal realms are THE thing, but yet everyone complains that the leveling is just so utterly garbage that you resort to the quickest method to avoid/reduce it at all costs.

And about the argument "yeah but all ARPGs do that", well, just play other ARPGs. At this point, I swear, are you saying you're happy that Blizzard is copy-pasting everything from whatever is the trendy games out there without trying to re-invent / invent anything ? Cool story
    Diablo 2 literally had Ladder reset, which was one of the most exciting moment on closed Bnet to start over with new economy, looking at the leaderboard to see who died on HC while you were offline, etc. They did not copy a trend, they had this 20+ years. Yes season model changed, it evolved, we do not accept only a reset in today ages, we want new content. It went from random ass reset every 1 to 2 years, to something you could expect every 6 months around 2010. Diablo 3 after that implemented the same thing following in the step of D2 ladder reset, but with a more refined approach with the seasonal journey, and D4 obviously follow the same path. This whole reset/start over concept has been a part of this franchise for a very long time, they did not "copy the trendy games".

So yeah, "just play other ARPGs" as you said.
    Last edited by Aoewy; 2024-06-18 at 06:54 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ophenia View Post

Seasonal content outside of a couple of outliers is a staple of the genre.

Eternal realms and the like exist as museums for old builds and irrelevant characters.
    Quote Originally Posted by tehdang View Post
    Their enemies are busy labeling people "shitheads," dodging all the tough arguments (to the extent they acknowledge contrary arguments existing), and going over all the prejudices that make them believe they're arguing with bad people.
    "Dodge tough questions" types the poster with people on ignore who he couldn't handle the tough questions of.