Poll: is Cataclysm Classic better or worse than you expected?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by crusadernero View Post
    Its not about being smart. Why do you think Blizzard added m+ in retail wow to begin with? They had to figure out a way to make sure the shitters & good players had content to do. Basically the same content, but with different difficulty+challenge.

It didnt make sense to have hard HC dungeons in cata back in the day and it wouldnt make sense now.
    He was talking about the skill of the average player in cata vs the skill of the average player now my guy. Thats why they had to revamp and add several mechanics to the dungeons when they re-released them in DF to make them a bit harder. Because players are better now than the shitters they were "back in the day"

Quote Originally Posted by Armourboy View Post
    Difference with RDF though is that the original guy in charge didn't want RDF so once he was gone I don't think there was much holding it back. Kind of feels like with LFR there may be a bit more internal opposition to it than just one guy. Could also just be they would rather waste resources on something most people care about. Thing is LFR was added in Cata, but it was originally an MoP system they got done early so just decided to throw it in and start testing it basically. No real reason to do that this go around, especially if they decide not to add it.

I myself don't like it, but MoP will definitely be where I get off the ship anyways so its really not that big of a deal either way tbh
    Maybe there is, maybe there isn't. We don't know for sure, so we only have what they tell us and in both cases it is the same message to begin with, plus that we know that both systems were brought into the game for the same reason, to give access to group content to puggers. I am already seeing people complaining that there is gatekeeping for the current raids, give it a bit of time and by the DS raid I expect Blizzard to do another 180. Perhaps that's wishful thinking on my part, we'll find out soon enough.

I'm surprised so many people hated Dragon Soul. Some of my favorite fights were in that raid. The gear sets and tier sets were also cool as fuck.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroTool View Post
    Cataclysm is generally considered one of the worst expansions of WoW and the first expansion during which the number of subscribers began to decline.

So now that we've been able to experience Cataclym again, has your opinion of this expansion changed? If so, is it for worse or for better?
    I played Cata retail on launch and loved it. I wasn't expecting to have as much fun as I am now but time is flying when I'm playing it. Love it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by evermynd View Post
    I'm surprised so many people hated Dragon Soul. Some of my favorite fights were in that raid. The gear sets and tier sets were also cool as fuck.
    People hated it because Blizz rushed it out to be done with cata. 2 encounter rooms are exactly the same, 1 is EoE, 1 is in front of Wyrmrest, another on top of Wyrmrest where you're just burning down a dragon, it really shows they didn't put their heart into it. Spine could have been cool if they made it feel like you were actually on Deathwings back. But it was lackluster. Madness was just dumb.
    "Do you think man will ever walk on the sun? -Ali G

Only the kinds of people who liked Cataclysm are still playing.

orginal cata was quite nice, but this classic is just half assed mess, feels more like early beta or pservers really

Cataclysm is not quite the best expansion ever but it is definitely a huge improvement over the fast food gaming jank that was WotLK which basically spit on any barely invested players and made guild play basically useless because the content was so easy. That’s also when GDKP and gearscore nonsense started to appear, and they made LFR primarily to please that crowd while still having challenges for mid-top end players that didn’t involve the achievement system they added. Going from Sunwell to the Immortal achievement in Naxxramas was outright disrespectful.

This classic iteration has issues and uses mostly post nerf content but at least it restored what made BC heroics and raids great and actually induce people to socialize to progress into the content. I’ve yet to play DS raid seriously so I can’t really say anything about it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Im not playin classic anymore but as i watched and refreshed my memory over YT and twitch i can say. Yes its better than i remembered. Imo better than WOTLK gamplay wise WOTLK winning with lore and zones. Cata winning with gameplay and dungeons design.

10+ Year Old Account
    Cata was always my favorite expansion and it's still the best they ever made! Loving every second!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nzx View Post
    Brilliant expansion, very fun to play again. Only thing I would change is to have the dungeons be as hard as they were originally so that we could've proven once and for all that everyone was just complete dogshit at this game back in the day and that, on the whole, most players are now 10x better than they were then (mostly because the people who were shit back then have quit the game to post full-time on the forums instead).
    this entire post tells me you didn't do the dungeons on release and have zero clue as to why people were complaining about them being 'hard' relative to what was possible from WOTLK era dungeon content, as somebody who did the dungeon glory achievement before ANY nerfs were applied to any of the dungeons let me educate you:

WOTLK era dungeons could be carried by 1-2 good players, cata release dungeons all had mechanics that required players to use a full spectrum of spells that most people had forgotten even existed, such as spellsteal for Ozruk for example, they were also VERY tightly tuned based on damage taken against tanks, the healing output of healers being tied directly into what a priest could output at the time, and the damage output needed to kill the bosses before healers ran out of mana (another new concept to many players after WOTLK had basically made mana a non-resource), being far too high for what was supposed to be the entry-level group content, coupled with some game-breaking bugs with how certain mechanics worked, it meant for a miserable time for 'group finder' teams who had been used to blitzing through the content no longer being able to get past the first boss of some dungeons causing major friction.

TLDR: if you had a premade group of competent players they were mechanically easy, and just made hard by the earlier tuning being too out of whack, for pugs and group finder, they were nigh impossible due to no longer being able to be carried by 1-2 good players anymore.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Battlebeard View Post
    Cata was always my favorite expansion and it's still the best they ever made! Loving every second!
    that's totally fine, nobody is questioning that aspect, but you cannot claim it the best when it's been proven objectively to the single worst expansion release they have ever pushed out, so many game breaking bugs that took months some even years to fix, guild perks that caused its own myriad problems, end game content that didn't exist, and all in all a miserable experience at the time that VERY FEW look back on with fond memories.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by evermynd View Post
    the issue with dragon soul was that it was yet another re-used asset in an expansion of re-used assets, add to the fact it was only 8 bosses long, yet another short raid by previous standards and another short raid in an expansion of short raids, then you had the utterly ridiculous requirement of needing to LFR version as an end game raider due to how obscene the set bonuses were (especially the tanks), it was worse in terms of time commitment early on than old TOTGC was back when you had to clear both 10/25 normal then clear 10 heroic and progress 25 heroic, there was the massive disappointment of the deathwing encounters, first one requiring all casters to have the legendary staff so unless you farmed firelands you had to go back and farm it up for everyone before you could progress heroic due to the absurd dps requirements, then the manicure job to top it off was a piss take of an encounter, it summed up the entire expansion cycle really, and once you were done with progress thanks to blizz being desperate for engagement metrics in the raid the stacking debuff that made fights easier made it so guilds (mine included) were doing a farm raid in less than 30 minutes on a single raid night, meaning that there was literally no point paying for a sub anymore at that point.

Quote Originally Posted by rogoth View Post
    this entire post tells me you didn't do the dungeons on release
    Damn dude that's crazy you've been in my life this whole time and I had no idea you were there. How'd you manage that?

Quote Originally Posted by rogoth View Post
    TLDR: if you had a premade group of competent players they were mechanically easy, and just made hard by the earlier tuning being too out of whack, for pugs and group finder, they were nigh impossible due to no longer being able to be carried by 1-2 good players anymore.

Oh right, so they were "hard". Both in terms of tuning for organised groups, and in terms of half your group being actual monkeys finally mattering. Thanks for agreeing with me I guess but you didn't have to write that whole novel about how I didn't play the game as well.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nzx View Post
    Damn dude that's crazy you've been in my life this whole time and I had no idea you were there. How'd you manage that?

Oh right, so they were "hard". Both in terms of tuning for organised groups, and in terms of half your group being actual monkeys finally mattering. Thanks for agreeing with me I guess but you didn't have to write that whole novel about how I didn't play the game as well.
    you are very welcome my friend, anything I can do to help educate the ignorant is helping the wider community as a whole.

15+ Year Old Account
    i don't have sparetime to dedicate myself to raid so Cata Classic has zero content to offer for me right now, im enjoying MoP: Remix on retail instead.

Loved the raids back in 2010 but it got sour with the 4.1 ZG/ZA patch for me and firelands and dragon soul was a decent experience in a 10 HC group back in 2010-2011 but... never ever picked up raiding on retail after that.

5+ Year Old Account
    I feel like alot of the faliures of the original launch were smoothe out sigificantly, and thusly it's better.

PS: I don't get the hate for the dragon soul raid. I personally loved it. Lorewise it was a bit wonky, I guess, but I loved the fights.