Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
1
2
3
LastLast
  1. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    This is how the game has always been structured. It's not new in the slightest, and you remain able to skip directly to the current expansion as a new player if you want. Per today's blogpost, unsurprisingly, spear is the first mastery you unlock in the expansion - https://www.guildwars2.com/en-gb/new...janthir-wilds/
    "It was always done like that before" is very weak argument.

    This is unknowable fiction right now for spears. For other elite specs all core build remain viable and effective in just about everything except CM content. If you're doing CM content you're not some new player to the game, probably.
    They not only are worse, to the point that nobody use non elite spec builds but arena net has a habit to nerf even previous elite specs to promote new ones, as it happened with EoD.
    Sure, you can play. You can complete content. You are worse by every objective metric and cant play what was promoted (you can, but grind away!). But, hey, you can play so dont complain!

    We've had at least 4 different groups we've rolled with over the years with some overlap between them, but largely 4 different groups of characters. I have no clue what the fuck you're talking about here.
    In SOTO there was some returning Asura me thinks, and everyone was "wow, how the fuck are you here?! what happend?!". I dont get it. I was in the dark when this happens because not only i dont member much of this character i did not even know she/he went missing. So yeah, if you dont want to be clueless, then you should follow the story from A to B, which the game emphasize.

    They're unlocked for narrative reasons: You're being trained to use them by the folks in Jantha. Unlocking them at level 1, especially given how few spears exist at low level, would make it a core feature and not an expansion feature. This is how all weapon additions have worked in GW2 since HoT.
    This is stupid narrative reason. You know that. This is not some magical muggufin but a fucking spear. A pointy stick. You dont need lost tribe of bears who are ancient as time to teach you how to use a pointy stick. Especially, since you character CAN USE THAT POINTY STICK IN WATER!
    The reason for it, is to buy fucking expansion and not a stupid weak ass narrative.

    Honestly, do you even play GW2? Do you like games? Every time I see you post it sounds like you hate literally every game you post about and I'm unsure why you play games if you seem to so thoroughly dislike them all.
    I dabble in it. I dont play as much for reasons above. Like, if i want roll a warrior, and be samurai with pistols (because that actually sounds fun for me) then i need to level it to lvl 80, then grind hero points. Before actually playing what i want. And, looking at that time investment i just dont bother. Spend 10, 15 or 20h BEFORE i can play class what i want? Naaah.
    They put weapons recently (but you still need to unlock it by buying SOTO expansion haha) to use for new characters which done 2 things for me.
    First - this is nice, new options from the beginning.
    Second - fuuuuck, base, non elite weapons are weak as fuuuuuck.

    I dont usually post about games i like. I loved RDR2 and thing about it to this day, 4 months after finishing it, that music, ending and Arthur Morgan are still there.
    GW2 do lots of things right (open world, story content, difficulty, casual) but it also is prime example with eso to create a problem and sell a solution.
    So yeah, they make it hard to enjoy things i like about it.
    GW2 actually is the only mmo where i just sometimes go and attack random mobs because combat system is sooo goood for me. And this is the only game with playable Charrs!

  2. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by Chickat View Post
    How big is a GW2 expansion zone/area compared to say a WoW launch zone or continent?
    GW2's maps are isolated, separate instances, like in FF14. You cannot mount up and seamlessly run or fly across the world like in the Eastern Kingdoms or Kalimdor in WoW. However, unlike WoW, you do not actually physically travel from map to map. Instead, like FF14, you end up teleporting to whatever the nearest teleport point is, then mount up and travel a short distance to the mobs you want to beat up, and then when you're done you just teleport right from where you are again. So the world does not feel physicalized like Azeroth.

    Vanilla GW2 maps are about the same size as Elwynn Forest strictly in terms of how long it takes you to walk from one end of the zone to the other. A Vanilla GW2 map has more packed into it then Elwynn Forest. So in WoW while walking from Northshire Abbey to Stormwind, you would only pass one village, but in GW2 in Queensdale you would walk by maybe three villages on the way to the city. That being said, vanilla GW2 maps often feel a little "miniature", with the exception of the Ascalon and Shiverpeaks maps.

    Heart of Thorns maps about the same horizontal width/length as Vanilla GW2 maps, but the difference is that they have much more playable space vertically. For example, in the first HoT map, Verdant Brink, you have a top layer which is an airship fleet that crashed into the canopy of a jungle. Then below that, you have the "floor" which is on top of a lot of canyon mountains. And then below that, you have a "floor" which is below the tops of canyon mountains. In the second map, Auric Basin, you start out at the top of a rain forest, and then descend to a "floor" at the middle level, and then descend to a golden city at the bottom level, and the golden city has more levels below that. And so on. So the actual playable space is much larger than the Vanilla maps. And the third map, Tangled Depths, has a top floor on the surface, and then you descend into multiple different levels of caverns. Etc. I wish other games took as much advantage of vertical space and multiple layers as HoT did.

    PoF maps onward sadly abandons the multi-layered approach of HoT, but the maps are straight up at least 4x bigger than the vanilla maps, being at least twice as long length wise and twice as wide. They don't feel like you are traveling across a miniature world anymore.

    Vanilla maps are overall very mundane and boring (snowy mountains, green plains, etc), but the expansion maps are usually more fantastical (aside from PoF's five maps all being set in a boring flat desert). An airship fleet crashed into the canopy of a jungle, a golden city deep inside a very tall rainforest, the still glowing epicenter of a magical nuke detonation, a sunken kingdom that has risen from the depths, a desert scarred by purple crystal magic and time distortion bubbles, a map set on the back of a humongous downed dragon, walking across a sea that was turned solid into jade stone which has been infused with magic, etc.

    Last edited by Val the Moofia Boss; 2024-06-05 at 05:06 PM.

  3. #23
    The Unstoppable Force Chickat's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Orgrimmar
    Posts
    20,726
    Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    GW2's maps are isolated, separate instances, like in FF14. You cannot mount up and seamlessly run or fly across the world like in the Eastern Kingdoms or Kalimdor in WoW. However, unlike WoW, you do not actually physically travel from map to map. Instead, like FF14, you end up teleporting to whatever the nearest teleport point is, then mount up and travel a short distance to the mobs you want to beat up, and then when you're done you just teleport right from where you are again. So the world does not feel physicalized like Azeroth.

    Vanilla GW2 maps are about the same size as Elwynn Forest strictly in terms of how long it takes you to walk from one end of the zone to the other. A Vanilla GW2 map has more packed into it then Elwynn Forest. So in WoW while walking from Northshire Abbey to Stormwind, you would only pass one village, but in GW2 in Queensdale you would walk by maybe three villages on the way to the city. That being said, vanilla GW2 maps often feel a little "miniature", with the exception of the Ascalon and Shiverpeaks maps.

    Heart of Thorns maps about the same horizontal width/length as Vanilla GW2 maps, but the difference is that they have much more playable space vertically. For example, in the first HoT map, Verdant Brink, you have a top layer which is an airship fleet that crashed into the canopy of a jungle. Then below that, you have the "floor" which is on top of a lot of canyon mountains. And then below that, you have a "floor" which is below the tops of canyon mountains. In the second map, Auric Basin, you start out at the top of a rain forest, and then descend to a "floor" at the middle level, and then descend to a golden city at the bottom level, and the golden city has more levels below that. And so on. So the actual playable space is much larger than the Vanilla maps. And the third map, Tangled Depths, has a top floor on the surface, and then you descend into multiple different levels of caverns. Etc. I wish other games took as much advantage of vertical space and multiple layers as HoT did.

    PoF maps onward sadly abandons the multi-layered approach of HoT, but the maps are straight up at least 4x bigger than the vanilla maps, being at least twice as long length wise and twice as wide. They don't feel like you are traveling across a miniature world anymore.

    Vanilla maps are overall very mundane and boring (snowy mountains, green plains, etc), but the expansion maps are usually more fantastical (aside from PoF's five maps all being set in a boring flat desert).

    So a modern GW2 map is like the size of a larger modern wow zone roughly.

  4. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by Chickat View Post
    So a modern GW2 map is like the size of a larger modern wow zone roughly.
    GW2's expansion maps are nowhere near the same size as the Azure Span or the Ohn'arhn plains. About half that size at most. But there is more stuff to do packed into that area. In WoW, most of the Azure Span and the Plains is devoid of actual stuff to do. You're flying over fields with random herds of animals walking around. No events or quests to do. In GW2 you walk 20 feet and you're now in an event or on some achievement puzzle.

  5. #25
    The Unstoppable Force Chickat's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Orgrimmar
    Posts
    20,726
    Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    GW2's expansion maps are nowhere near the same size as the Azure Span or the Ohn'arhn plains. About half that size at most. But there is more stuff to do packed into that area. In WoW, most of the Azure Span and the Plains is devoid of actual stuff to do. You're flying over fields with random herds of animals walking around. No events or quests to do. In GW2 you walk 20 feet and you're now in an event or on some achievement puzzle.
    I played GW2 for a few weeks, but then DF came out and i got sidetracked. Just trying to decide if I want to get back into it. I havent seen anything but a few vanilla zones.

  6. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by Chickat View Post
    I havent seen anything but a few vanilla zones.
    If you want to get an idea of the scale, then @4:09:23 you can see me open the map for reference and then fly across the width of an expansion map (they are almost always rectangular like this) in a few seconds.

    The maps used to take a lot longer to traverse because we didn't have mounts and had to navigate around mountains or climb layers. Then PoF added mounts like the rabbit that can leap up cliffs, which made getting around easy, and then they added the griffon which allows you to soar across a map in seconds. So the world feels a lot smaller. WoW zones are so huge that even with dragonriding it can still take a couple minutes to fly across a zone.

  7. #27
    Merely a Setback PACOX's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    ██████
    Posts
    26,553
    Quote Originally Posted by Chickat View Post
    So a modern GW2 map is like the size of a larger modern wow zone roughly.
    It's hard to make a direct comparison because GW2 map use up lot more of their volume. The designers love using vertical space. Not as apparent in the vanilla maps, those were designed without all the mobility options introduced after core GW2.


    Can't really say what's actually bigg but imagine if a GW2 map is the same size as a WoW but like 3 WoW maps layered on top of one another and twice as dense.

    Resident Cosplay Progressive

  8. #28
    The Unstoppable Force Chickat's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Orgrimmar
    Posts
    20,726
    Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    It's hard to make a direct comparison because GW2 map use up lot more of their volume. The designers love using vertical space. Not as apparent in the vanilla maps, those were designed without all the mobility options introduced after core GW2.


    Can't really say what's actually bigg but imagine if a GW2 map is the same size as a WoW but like 3 WoW maps layered on top of one another and twice as dense.
    Seems more like Legion zones. Small but very dense. Maybe more dense than Legion even but thats the comparison im making in my mind.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    If you want to get an idea of the scale, then @4:09:23 you can see me open the map for reference and then fly across the width of an expansion map (they are almost always rectangular like this) in a few seconds.

    The maps used to take a lot longer to traverse because we didn't have mounts and had to navigate around mountains or climb layers. Then PoF added mounts like the rabbit that can leap up cliffs, which made getting around easy, and then they added the griffon which allows you to soar across a map in seconds. So the world feels a lot smaller. WoW zones are so huge that even with dragonriding it can still take a couple minutes to fly across a zone.
    Seems like Dragon riding might be faster than GW2 flying. Also that black Dragon is ugly lol. Its like its covered in black spell effects. Not sure if thats the point but. Ill probably redownload the game. I own the base game and maybe 1 expansion from a deal, so I prob have a ton of content to play with no sub which is nice.

  9. #29
    Merely a Setback PACOX's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    ██████
    Posts
    26,553
    Quote Originally Posted by Chickat View Post
    Seems like Dragon riding might be faster than GW2 flying. Also that black Dragon is ugly lol. Its like its covered in black spell effects. Not sure if thats the point but. Ill probably redownload the game. I own the base game and maybe 1 expansion from a deal, so I prob have a ton of content to play with no sub which is nice.
    WoWs dragon riding actually borrows from two of GW2s mounts. The one Val showed off is the slower one, the Dragon riding skills were borrowed from this one.

    The speed was borrowed from the one in this video.



    Resident Cosplay Progressive

  10. #30
    The Unstoppable Force Chickat's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Orgrimmar
    Posts
    20,726
    Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    WoWs dragon riding actually borrows from two of GW2s mounts. The one Val showed off is the slower one, the Dragon riding skills were borrowed from this one.

    The speed was borrowed from the one in this video.


    I knew they borrowed it, but didnt know there was more than 1 type of flying mount.

  11. #31
    Over 9000! Poppincaps's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Twilight Town
    Posts
    9,524
    Forget what I said, the Ranger spear looks really good. I'm sold.


  12. #32
    Quote Originally Posted by Poppincaps View Post
    Forget what I said, the Ranger spear looks really good. I'm sold.

    https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/s...d-necromancer/

    And associated blog post with some additional info in there.

    I'm intrigued by this for my guardian and it might shake up my builds a bit. Doubt it'll replace mace/shield or staff for primary support/boons, but might be a nice option for a more power-based hybrid dps/support build? Will have to see, though unsure if there's stats to support that (Condi firebrand can cheese that via traits to get some nice healing power/concentration).

  13. #33
    Ranger spear animations automatically transitioning from being thrown at range to swung in melee is cool. Wish ranger axes had that capability.
    Last edited by Val the Moofia Boss; 2024-06-06 at 07:48 PM.

  14. #34
    I really wish this game would click for me but something about it always feels wrong.

  15. #35
    Over 9000! Poppincaps's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Twilight Town
    Posts
    9,524
    Quote Originally Posted by justwatching View Post
    I really wish this game would click for me but something about it always feels wrong.
    tbh I felt this same way. I think the 1-80 leveling experience is really weird. I'd personally suggest boosting a character to 80, doing the base game campaign and immediately jumping into the expansions. The exploration, combat, and story is a lot better in the expansions. I had tried getting into Guild Wars 2 3 times before it finally clicked when I did that.

  16. #36
    Quote Originally Posted by Poppincaps View Post
    tbh I felt this same way. I think the 1-80 leveling experience is really weird. I'd personally suggest boosting a character to 80, doing the base game campaign and immediately jumping into the expansions. The exploration, combat, and story is a lot better in the expansions. I had tried getting into Guild Wars 2 3 times before it finally clicked when I did that.
    Yeah maybe I'll try that. The first few zones definitely feel very outdated.

  17. #37
    The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    3,080
    I feel like playing gw2 again but it’s been awhile, the last version I played was right after we finally killed the big crystal dragon, but we had to head north because the “ice dragon” had somehow absorbed the powers of the death dragon.

  18. #38
    Merely a Setback PACOX's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    ██████
    Posts
    26,553
    Quote Originally Posted by Rustedsaint View Post
    I feel like playing gw2 again but it’s been awhile, the last version I played was right after we finally killed the big crystal dragon, but we had to head north because the “ice dragon” had somehow absorbed the powers of the death dragon.
    Thats about the midway point now. Cool thing about GW2 is that you can always just pick right back up where you left off. Or if you want to do more recent and go back, you can always do that too.

    Resident Cosplay Progressive

  19. #39
    Bloodsail Admiral VMSmith's Avatar
    1+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Mar 2022
    Location
    Mars
    Posts
    1,004
    Quote Originally Posted by justwatching View Post
    I really wish this game would click for me but something about it always feels wrong.
    Every time I've played GW2 I've always bounced off because of the movement in combat. If I left click on something I just stand there doing nothing until I hit skills, right clicking starts the auto-attack but my movement is so swayed that I have the worst time clicking on the mob I want. I imagine there's some settings that would fix this, but I don't know what they are. The movement is still terrible out of combat, but I can suffer through that. In combat it just becomes intolerable for me.

    It's a shame, because otherwise I dig this game. But that underwater feel to movement just kills it for me.
    He/Him

  20. #40

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •