Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Windows 10 randomly having short "freezes"

As of a few months ago, my Windows 10 PC has started doing this weird thing where it kind of "partially" freezes, like audio will still play just fine and I can move the mouse and such, but games like WoW will freeze, and alt-tabbing will bring up the alt tab window, but won't actually do anything. After 2-3 seconds everything will "un-freeze" and any mouse/keyboard inputs during the freeze will happen all at once.

I suspected it was RAM, since OS instability/freezing is usually a RAM issue, but even after swapping to known good RAM, the issue persists. Nothing in the event log is coming up when the freezes happen either.

It's only a minor annoyance since it only happens once every few hours, but I'd still like to stop them from happening if possible. Any ideas on where to start looking / testing ?

Just for reference:

Only happened in WOW and it didn't happen in none other games (even better quality graphics) or normal windows, and sometimes last as long as 10 seconds without being able to do anything at all.

10+ Year Old Account
    is it rotating your desktop background every so often ? That used to be my problem when i had a freeze every 3 minutes
    ___________( •̪●) --(FOR THE ALLIANCE!)
    ░░░░░░███████ ]▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▃
    ▂▄▅█████████▅▄▃▂
    I███████████████████].
    ◥⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙◤...

That 4TB spinner, if your game is on it, could be your problem source. Also, if you haven't done it, issue a TRIM to the SSDs, tue defrag utility has it as an optimize button.

I would check the health of your storage drives, in particular the one your OS is installed on. Crystal Disk Info - https://sourceforge.net/projects/crystaldiskinfo/ - will read your drives' SMART information and alert you of any issues.

If your drives are OK and you've ruled out RAM issues I think the problem could be GPU related. The screen shot is reporting that your 3060Ti only has 4095MB of VRAM when it should 8GB, this could just be a reporting error and it's worth double-checking using GPU-Z - https://www.techpowerup.com/download/techpowerup-gpu-z/

Try uninstalling the drivers using DDU - https://www.guru3d.com/download/disp...ller-download/ - and then installing the latest Nvidia drivers.
    Last edited by Pann; 2024-06-07 at 10:54 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pann View Post
    I would check the health of your storage drives, in particular the one your OS is installed on. Crystal Disk Info - https://sourceforge.net/projects/crystaldiskinfo/
    Bad piece of software, i had a dying SSD who could no longer write, only read, and crystal disk info reported it was healthy. Pointless to advertise such a software.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuor View Post
    Bad piece of software, i had a dying SSD who could no longer write, only read, and crystal disk info reported it was healthy. Pointless to advertise such a software.
    No, it's not. Crystal Disk Info reads the drive's S.M.A.R.T status (and presents the information in an easy to understand way), if your drive is incorrectly reporting this data then is not much Crystal Disk Info, or any other similar piece of software, can do.

Maybe you could actually offer the OP a better alternative? Or at least try to help them.

I got the same GPU as you and have been having what sounds like a similar issue as you, I found out that its my nvidia graphics driver crashing and restarting but i've yet to find a solution, i found out that it was the driver crashing by checking the event log in windows

10+ Year Old Account
    No, it's not. Crystal Disk Info reads the drive's S.M.A.R.T status (and presents the information in an easy to understand way), if your drive is incorrectly reporting this data then is not much Crystal Disk Info, or any other similar piece of software, can do.
    Even the computer bios reports a sata error, yes crystal disk is that bad.

Maybe you could actually offer the OP a better alternative? Or at least try to help them.
    Try downloading Linux Mint, there is a tool there called disks that reports the health status of the hard drives, its very basic but should do the work.

EDIT:
    You don't need to install the linux mint, just run it in live mode.

Even the computer bios reports a sata error, yes crystal disk is that bad.

Try downloading Linux Mint, there is a tool there called disks that reports the health status of the hard drives, its very basic but should do the work.

EDIT:
    You don't need to install the linux mint, just run it in live mode.
    No, Crystal Disk Info is not bad.

Really?! You've just recommended a tool that does exactly the same as Crystal Disk Info - it queries SMART data - but with a lot more hassle of running a different OS.

Quote Originally Posted by Huzzaa View Post
    That 4TB spinner, if your game is on it, could be your problem source.
    It happens any time, not just when I'm playing a game.

Also, if you haven't done it, issue a TRIM to the SSDs, tue defrag utility has it as an optimize button.
    Not entirely sure how to do that; never done it before.

- - - Updated - - -

I would check the health of your storage drives, in particular the one your OS is installed on. Crystal Disk Info - https://sourceforge.net/projects/crystaldiskinfo/ - will read your drives' SMART information and alert you of any issues.
    It's showing "Good" and either 100% or 99% health on all of my drives.

If your drives are OK and you've ruled out RAM issues I think the problem could be GPU related. The screen shot is reporting that your 3060Ti only has 4095MB of VRAM when it should 8GB, this could just be a reporting error and it's worth double-checking using GPU-Z - https://www.techpowerup.com/download/techpowerup-gpu-z/
    Yeah, that's just a reporting error.

10+ Year Old Account
    No, Crystal Disk Info is not bad.
    Its your opinion, not mine... The faith you put on something is scary.

Really?! You've just recommended a tool that does exactly the same as Crystal Disk Info - it queries SMART data - but with a lot more hassle of running a different OS.
    Disks is far more complex than crystal disk, as it allows you to perform other tasks like delete partitions. This software just warned me that the ssd was about to die and marked the disk as red, whille crystal disk just said the ssd was healthy.

Quote Originally Posted by Navira1 View Post
    I got the same GPU as you and have been having what sounds like a similar issue as you, I found out that its my nvidia graphics driver crashing and restarting but i've yet to find a solution, i found out that it was the driver crashing by checking the event log in windows
    Doesn't seem to be that either; nothing shows up in event log when the freezes happen, and my nVidia drivers are up to date.

10+ Year Old Account
    How old is your windows instalation? If more than 2 years you might have corrupted data, sometimes a fresh install of the SO makes miracles. And your computer is Windows 11 compatable.

Quote Originally Posted by anon5123 View Post
    Windows should automatically enable TRIM when it detects an SSD. In simple TRIM tells an SSD when data has been deleted and that it is safe to remove, so I doubt this is the cause of your issue. You can find out if it is running by typing fsutil behavior query DisableDeleteNotify in the command prompt, type CMD at the start menu and run as administrator. If it returns 0 then TRIM is enabled.

- - - Updated - - -

Its your opinion, not mine... The faith you put on something is scary.

Disks is far more complex than crystal disk, as it allows you to perform other tasks like delete partitions. This software just warned me that the ssd was about to die and marked the disk as red, whille crystal disk just said the ssd was healthy.
    No, it's lots of people's opinion.

The OP doesn't need to delete partitions, at their core they both read and report SMART data.

- - - Updated - - -

That's good news, there are more complex tools available but for now I would concentrate on drivers, if you haven't already check your motherboard's manufacturer's website for the latest drivers for your MB.

It might be worth running "recovery" from Window Update, you can reinstall Windows without losing your settings or files from there.

- - - Updated - - -

I've just noticed that you're running an older nVidia driver - 552.22 - there are few reports of it causing crashes, but I don't know whether this was a widespread problem, so it is definitely worth updating.

To my knowledge, Binbows doesn't autotrim anything.
    It relies on the maintenance schedule to run the defragger for you, which in turn, does it.
    Most optimizer folk out there however turn these scheduled tasks off thinking they're not necessary and then there you go.

To be even more specific, TRIMming the SSD means what @Pann said. It notifies the disk controller that here are the bytes that the OS' filesystem as long since scheduled as free but the disk has no idea about.

Essentially, there are 2 views of the underlying storage media.
    1. What the disk controller sees
    2. What the operating system(NTFS filesystem) sees

The most current* is obviously seen by the filesystem. But if no TRIM is in place, the disk controller, after a long enough time considers the entire disk as in-use and behaves accordingly with it's algorithms. You don't necessarily want this, as it's unneeded wear on bits of the SSD that may have otherwise been avoided, such as going after the overflow sections or reserve, whatever they're called, when in reality the filesystem is 20% full and existing bits(forgot the term for the sections where the data is held, capacitors, etc...) could've been used instead.

From the way you've described the problem, I'm nearly certain it's one of your disks going bad.

From the way you've described the problem, I'm nearly certain it's one of your disks going bad.
    Unfortunately I think that is the likely cause of the problem. SSDs can start to exhibit problems before SMART warnings are triggered and can then fail very quickly when an error threshold is reached.

Hopefully it is a driver issue but I would recommend that the OP backs up anything important just in case.

Although I just thought @anon5123 has not mentioned how full the OS is drive. SSD performance can degrade significantly on SSDs that are near full which could lead to similar problems. If your OS drive is nearly full, try moving some programs to another drive (apps installed via the MS store can be moved to another drive from the App settings page (right click the start button and select installed apps)) or uninstalling them and then see if the issue persists.

10+ Year Old Account
    Have you done a fresh installation of your GPU driver?

Resident Cosplay Progressive

10+ Year Old Account
    Try the
    dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth
    and
    sfc /scannow
    commands in an elevated cmd prompt.

It solved a similar issue for me a while back.

Could also try scanning the drives for errors.

It happens any time, not just when I'm playing a game.

- - - Updated - - -

https://imgur.com/a/xRCrKgP
    This is concerning. The PCIe should be 4.0 x16 on both sides of the @ symbol. This indicates that something is wrong with the PCIe interface. I recommend you try to re-seat the GPU, or reinstall drivers(use DDU, then reinstall drivers). Hopefully one of those actions will clear that up for you. If it won't, you may have to inspect the card for damage.