1. #1

    WoW RP Realms - What ones are populated?

    Not really an RP area, so apologies if this isn't the right spot.

    I’ve been away for a good while, and been drawn back in by Pandaren Remix. I hopped onto one of my old characters to take a walk around and was rather surprised though to see barely anyone in Stormwind on both Silver Hand and Wyrmrest Accord. I get that it’s at the end of an expansion lifecycle, and a lot of people are in Pandaria, but I don’t really want to spend time making and leveling characters just to end up on a very quiet server.

    I know Moonguard is crazy busy, but I was hoping to find another server that’s not as jam packed. Anyone able to give a confused Rper some direction on what servers would be worth investing time in?

  2. #2
    Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    8,927
    Have a look at the servers listed? They tell you the population

  3. #3
    I think it's the same situation everywhere. There's one remaining somewhat active (on one faction at least) RP realm for every language/region where everyone fled and the rest usually form a connected realmpool of dead servers that are basically purely PvE now (realm selection will show them as high pop but you won't find a single RP player there). RP as a playstyle is pretty much dead and it has been that way since late MoP.
    The absolute state of Warcraft lore in 2021:
    Kyrians: We need to keep chucking people into the Maw because it's our job.
    Also Kyrians: Why is the Maw growing stronger despite all our efforts?

  4. #4
    Free Food!?!?! Tziva's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Cretaceous Period
    Posts
    22,897
    It would probably help if you said your region.

    The bulk of my characters are on RP realms back from playing with friends that don't play anymore. My Alliance server is pretty quiet now (it once was high pop!), and my Horde one is an absolute wasteland. So dead as in, prior to region-wide trade goods, sometimes you'd look on the AH for a gem or enchant and there'd literally be none listed for what you needed. Workorders are still exceedingly difficult for anything rarer like Lariat.

    (Why Blizzard hasn't just merged all of the RP servers, I don't know. Most of them desperately need it.)

    In US my understanding is that Moonguard, Emerald Dream, and Wyrmrest are the big ones but I don't have characters on either so I don't know. I think in EU it is Argent Dawn?

    Honestly I think if you really want to RP, you should probably see if you can find some kind of roleplaying discord or some sort of active community doing it that manually makes crossrealm groups. Even on the big servers, I have no idea how often roleplaying actually occurs organically out in the world anymore. Hopefully someone actually into RP pops in here, because despite my presence on a few of these realms, I've never been involved so I have no idea if things look different if you know the right guilds/groups/communities. As someone just logging in on those servers, I haven't seen people roleplaying in years.

    for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

    TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

    | twitch | bsky
    |

  5. #5
    I am Murloc! KOUNTERPARTS's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    ( ° ͜ʖ͡°)╭∩╮
    Posts
    5,678
    The ones that have "Full" or "Very High" or "High" under the server population column.

  6. #6
    AFAIK the only alive RP servers in the US are Moon Guard, and Wyrmrest Accord. No other RP community for a video game is as large as MG and WRA. Not LotRO, not FF14, not WoW private servers or classic servers like Grobbulus. Nothing. This is it and that is where you want to be and where everyone went. The end of the faction conflict at the end of BFA greatly diminished interest in RP and killed off the smaller RP guilds, so the remainers migrated to WRA and MG, with MG being the bigger of the two. Moon Guard has a big Alliance RP community but most of it is Stormwind City RP rather than campaigns out in the field, though those do happen. Check Warcraft Conquest and the Grand Alliance communities. Also, again interest in RP has greatly diminished so you don't see RP guilds that cover all themes anymore. No more Pandaren guilds, for example.

    Horde side on Moon Guard has about 50 to 100 active RPers, maybe a little less right now given that the expansion is over and people have unsubbed. Random walkup RP in Orgrimmar, Undercity, and Silvermoon (which was once elf slut central) is now dead, while it is still alive in Stormwind. You will still occasionally see RP guilds congregate in cities for organized events. Horde RP is contained to guilds, with the MG Horde guild community, The Horde Vanguard, just being comprised of four guilds (War Wolves which is a generic Horde military guild, Stormtalon Tribe which accepts all Tauren, Undercity Nexus for dead people, and Phoenix Legion for blood elves) + some miscellaneous guildless people. When the Horde RP community rolls up to a cross faction event like Conquest, we are dwarfed by the number of orange names.

    https://i.imgur.com/jG0jOf7.jpg

    https://i.imgur.com/96P4VHw.jpeg

    https://i.imgur.com/OU4tJMt.jpg


    When Phoenix Legion and Banshih lead Horde marches to RP campaigns, they have us form nice orderly lines.

    https://i.imgur.com/FH1t24R.gif

    https://i.imgur.com/Ru1wyKx.gif

    While Wyrmrest Horde is bigger than Moon Guard Horde, I'd say that being on the smaller MG Horde community has its advantages, namely that you will recognize the same people and it feels like a tight knit community. Whereas if I go to the huge MG Alliance side, it feels like going to a big city where the names all blend into the crowd.


    When the Alliance side marches out to an RP campaign, Maxen doesn't organize his side into orderly lines, and yet his meandering blob of Alliance campaigners is easily triple or quadruple our size.

    https://i.imgur.com/U7tAVQa.gif

    https://i.imgur.com/ngxZSYo.jpeg
    Last edited by Aucald; 2024-06-10 at 11:57 PM. Reason: Replaced embedded images with URLs.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Tziva View Post
    It would probably help if you said your region.

    The bulk of my characters are on RP realms back from playing with friends that don't play anymore. My Alliance server is pretty quiet now (it once was high pop!), and my Horde one is an absolute wasteland. So dead as in, prior to region-wide trade goods, sometimes you'd look on the AH for a gem or enchant and there'd literally be none listed for what you needed. Workorders are still exceedingly difficult for anything rarer like Lariat.

    (Why Blizzard hasn't just merged all of the RP servers, I don't know. Most of them desperately need it.)

    In US my understanding is that Moonguard, Emerald Dream, and Wyrmrest are the big ones but I don't have characters on either so I don't know. I think in EU it is Argent Dawn?

    Honestly I think if you really want to RP, you should probably see if you can find some kind of roleplaying discord or some sort of active community doing it that manually makes crossrealm groups. Even on the big servers, I have no idea how often roleplaying actually occurs organically out in the world anymore. Hopefully someone actually into RP pops in here, because despite my presence on a few of these realms, I've never been involved so I have no idea if things look different if you know the right guilds/groups/communities. As someone just logging in on those servers, I haven't seen people roleplaying in years.
    RP servers are already connected realms. Mine is very populated because of it.

  8. #8
    Free Food!?!?! Tziva's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Cretaceous Period
    Posts
    22,897
    Quote Originally Posted by rrayy View Post
    RP servers are already connected realms. Mine is very populated because of it.
    I'm saying they need to merge most of them into one. They all might have connected realms with them, but some area just connected with other equally dead realms. At this point they need to just be one big connected realm outside of the couple that are actually Full/High pop.

    for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

    TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

    | twitch | bsky
    |

  9. #9

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Tziva View Post
    I'm saying they need to merge most of them into one. They all might have connected realms with them, but some area just connected with other equally dead realms. At this point they need to just be one big connected realm outside of the couple that are actually Full/High pop.
    There is no point in merging them into one when Connected realms already accomplish the same end result without all the hassles that come with a server merge. The whole point of connected realms is to avoid a server merge.

  11. #11
    Free Food!?!?! Tziva's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Cretaceous Period
    Posts
    22,897
    Quote Originally Posted by rrayy View Post
    There is no point in merging them into one when Connected realms already accomplish the same end result without all the hassles that come with a server merge. The whole point of connected realms is to avoid a server merge.
    By "merge" I mean "connected" because those are effectively the same thing. They are combined in a way that makes them function as one, single server.

    You're nitpicking semantics but my position is that all the RP realms -- aside from maybe the couple that are Full or very High Pop -- should all be together into one single group, by whatever term you want to use for that.

    Right now they're still all splintered into a bunch of small clusters, many of which are still totally dead even combined. My Alliance server is made of two linked servers but is still a very low population. My Horde server is made up of three realms and is absolutely, utterly a barren wasteland. There's no reason either of these groups should be split from each other, or from the other RP clusters that are also probably fairly similar, in the current era of WoW. Pointing out RP realms are connected is meaningless when they are connected to only one or two other, equally dead servers. Blizzard should be connecting them to the degree that they all have healthier populations.

    Frankly we're due for another round of that for a lot of realms, RP or not. I don't really understand why they started the process and then stopped with some realms still being not much better off than they were before. This game is two decades old, and there are a lot of very declined servers that can really benefit from having a population bump by joining others. RP servers just probably have felt it the worst because they're niche special interest servers but, worse, they're special-interest servers whose intended function (roleplaying with other roleplayers) can't even be obtained when the community is too small to sustain its purpose.

    for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

    TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

    | twitch | bsky
    |

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by MrLachyG View Post
    Have a look at the servers listed? They tell you the population
    Quote Originally Posted by KOUNTERPARTS View Post
    The ones that have "Full" or "Very High" or "High" under the server population column.
    I meant RP population, not player population.

    Thanks everyone for the information. Guess I'll be making my Timerunner's on Moonguard. Ta!

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Tziva View Post
    By "merge" I mean "connected" because those are effectively the same thing. They are combined in a way that makes them function as one, single server.

    You're nitpicking semantics but my position is that all the RP realms -- aside from maybe the couple that are Full or very High Pop -- should all be together into one single group, by whatever term you want to use for that.

    Right now they're still all splintered into a bunch of small clusters, many of which are still totally dead even combined. My Alliance server is made of two linked servers but is still a very low population. My Horde server is made up of three realms and is absolutely, utterly a barren wasteland. There's no reason either of these groups should be split from each other, or from the other RP clusters that are also probably fairly similar, in the current era of WoW. Pointing out RP realms are connected is meaningless when they are connected to only one or two other, equally dead servers. Blizzard should be connecting them to the degree that they all have healthier populations.

    Frankly we're due for another round of that for a lot of realms, RP or not. I don't really understand why they started the process and then stopped with some realms still being not much better off than they were before. This game is two decades old, and there are a lot of very declined servers that can really benefit from having a population bump by joining others. RP servers just probably have felt it the worst because they're niche special interest servers but, worse, they're special-interest servers whose intended function (roleplaying with other roleplayers) can't even be obtained when the community is too small to sustain its purpose.
    I am not nitpicking semantics. The realms are already connected, so there is no point in a physical merge. They are already what you want.

  14. #14
    US

    Moonguard on the alliance side.

    WRA on the Horde side.

    That's it. There are small communities here and there but they are not big enough at least for me to create a new char there.
    Zul'Jin died for our sins.
    --
    My Loa are smiling at me infidel. can you say the same?

  15. #15
    Free Food!?!?! Tziva's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Cretaceous Period
    Posts
    22,897
    Quote Originally Posted by rrayy View Post
    I am not nitpicking semantics. The realms are already connected, so there is no point in a physical merge. They are already what you want.
    They are not. If you think all the RP realms are already connected to all the other RP realms, you are just flat out wrong. For example, there are six clusters of RP realms in NA and at least two (Wyrmrest and Moonguard) that are not connected at all. The NA RP community being split into eight populations is not the same as being connected into one singular one. It is, in fact, extremely different, especially for those server clusters -- most of them -- that are very low population still even despite connection to other realms.

    I have already clarified several times I am not talking about a physical merge.

    for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

    TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

    | twitch | bsky
    |

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •