Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
1
2
3
  1. #41
    Herald of the Titans Kilpi's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    2,907
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickiler View Post
    "Will it make money" is a good sniff test for whether a particular thing is worth discussing in the first place. Like we could discuss the benefits and issues with Blizzard giving every player 1 million dollars, but we all know that's literally never going to happen. So considering the potential profit from an idea is a good first step to eliminate a lot of the silly ideas people will come up with for things that they want added to WoW.
    I guess there's one of the reasons I'm changing careers after 10 years as a game dev. "Will it make money" and "will it make a good/interesting game" doesn't go that much hand in hand anymore in games industry.

  2. #42
    Quote Originally Posted by Djuntas View Post
    I do the same with mounts. But when Celestial steed was new it was at least great for alts...fly and ground mount combined gg.
    That is true about alts, I had forgotten

  3. #43
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostile View Post
    I kinda trust a megacorps opinion on what makes more money over a rando with zero experience on the field shotgunning ideas that nobody has ever made work on the market.
    Looking at the history of those last 10 years i would say majority of megacorps are as ignorant on how to make long-term money with video game as most ignorants people on the internet who give opinions on matter they shouldn't, biggest example are Ubisoft or EA who fell so hard from all their short-term stupids ideas.

    Also without knowing someone thinking that because they're discussing a subject on the internet mean they can't be trusted (minus if their argumentation show otherwise) is F moronic.
    Do you listen to anyone with a pretty title even if that person spew nonsense ? Sound like sheep mentality to me which is certainly not a wise mentality to follow.

  4. #44
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    No, that's strawman (I didn't say that). I said you can't say what makes money because a) you're not their Accountant(among other things you have no access to) and b) You can't predict what original art will make at "money" in the future.

    - - - Updated - - -


    Nice strawman. This is has nothing to do with a specific suggestion on gameplay (theirs or yours or mine). I'm saying you can't predict if a suggestion will or won't make money.

    - - - Updated - - -



    Personally attacking people is not argument. If you know what gameplay suggestions make money or not,

    tell us exactly your methods that make you know what makes money instead of just telling us you do.

    - - - Updated - - -



    You don't have access to all the past data, you don't have a clear picture of the current trends (modern state is the same thing), and you have no clear picture of what the underground emerging zeitgeist is either.

    You may have a vague picture yes,
    but a gaming forum will never conclude on something so complex.

    At the very least you'll need a very complicated and lengthy study on that and even then it will be unclear so for most intends and purposes a typical gaming forum debating on "what makes money" is a very meaningless discourse.
    Yeah...that's not how any of this works.

    I'm a managerial accountant and what you say is "impossible" is literally my day-to-day job.

  5. #45
    Quote Originally Posted by Raidoser View Post
    Looking at the history of those last 10 years i would say majority of megacorps are as ignorant on how to make long-term money with video game as most ignorants people on the internet who give opinions on matter they shouldn't, biggest example are Ubisoft or EA who fell so hard from all their short-term stupids ideas.

    Also without knowing someone thinking that because they're discussing a subject on the internet mean they can't be trusted (minus if their argumentation show otherwise) is F moronic.
    Do you listen to anyone with a pretty title even if that person spew nonsense ? Sound like sheep mentality to me which is certainly not a wise mentality to follow.
    If you sincerely believe a guy like @epigramx has better ideas than Blizzard, may I interest you a plot of land on Mars?

  6. #46
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    No, that's strawman (I didn't say that). I said you can't say what makes money because a) you're not their Accountant(among other things you have no access to) and b) You can't predict what original art will make at "money" in the future.
    Hey quick question, why did you copy @Celista's avatar?

  7. #47
    Mechagnome Sezerek's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    The Nexus
    Posts
    603
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    But there are two big problems with that mentality: 1) We are not the accountants of Blizzard; we really have no clue on what makes or doesn't make money;
    Thanks for that laugh, I remember VERY good how you yelled at us all when we mentioned this specific point in your "wow should go f2p"-thread and how you threw a temper tantrum how that would be appeal to authority fallacy.

  8. #48
    Quote Originally Posted by Sezerek View Post
    Thanks for that laugh, I remember VERY good how you yelled at us all when we mentioned this specific point in your "wow should go f2p"-thread and how you threw a temper tantrum how that would be appeal to authority fallacy.
    Hot take: Anybody who uses the word "fallacy" on a regular basis is not worth listening to lol

  9. #49
    Quote Originally Posted by Ereb View Post
    Hot take: Anybody who uses the word "fallacy" on a regular basis is not worth listening to lol
    It's what happens when you spend too much watching debate bro content and you latch onto the phrases they use without understanding what any of it means. There's a KYM on the subject.

  10. #50
    Quote Originally Posted by Raidoser View Post
    .
    Do you listen to anyone with a pretty title even if that person spew nonsense ? Sound like sheep mentality to me which is certainly not a wise mentality to follow.
    Trusting more than and listening to are very different things.

    And this isnt OPs first "I know more about the market than a megacorp despite having no experience on the field" post.
    Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post

    I only view Warcraft up to MoP as canon.

  11. #51
    Quote Originally Posted by Ereb View Post
    Hey quick question, why did you copy @Celista's avatar?
    I was wondering too…lol.

    In all fairness though, I found the image on the internet somewhere long ago.

  12. #52
    I mean on topic if you don't want the topic to be money

    1. This is a forum where we can drive the conversation almost however we want so sorry
    2. Wording on OP would go a long way for example

    Should Blizzard do X: Money is going to be on the table because Blizzard isn't a charity and isn't going to do something if it isn't going to make money

    Concept for wow: generally money might be on the table if your pushing for "Blizzard should implement it" but if it's interesting enough it can carry it's own weight

    Wouldn't it be cool if: Now money is mostly off the table because this is your dreams but make sure you say whether its realistic or not because the second you try to push this is a realistic thing Blizz should do monetary concerns are totally on the table
    3 Major Rules of World of Warcraft Players:
    1. No one on earth wants to play World of Warcraft less than other World of Warcraft players.
    2. The desire to win>The desire for anything else in World of Warcraft. NO EXCEPTIONS
    3. Efficiency will be king no matter how you think it will improve the game.

  13. #53
    There's so many non answers on the forums, that one is probably the least annoying. My biggest annoyances are:
    - when someone asks how to do something and people tell them the issue is trivial / irrelevant and / or they should stop wanting what they want
    - when someone asks for something and people just say no with no argument
    - when someone says no using anyone but themselves as an argument: the new players, even though they aren't new, the devs, even though they can't speak for them and so on; it's especially annoying when someone cannot for the life of them say why an idea bothers them personally and they keep throwing "but others want...", "but devs probably want..." etc.

    We should speak for ourselves more and try less to make our opinion appear as THE universal truth.
    Last edited by Loveliest; 2024-07-12 at 05:06 PM.

  14. #54
    Brewmaster Karreck's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Beneath you. Devouring.
    Posts
    1,443
    Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    I was wondering too…lol.

    In all fairness though, I found the image on the internet somewhere long ago.
    Yours is a cleaner version too.
    Princesses can kill knights to rescue dragons.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •