No nameplate for enemy players

I'm playing Alliance and don't see nameplates for any Horde players, ever, not even when I target them.

I have no addons installed. I've deleted WTF and Cache directories. I've checked my Show/Hide nameplate keybinds and interface configuration and nothing helps.

Does anyone have any idea what might be causiong this please?

Settings > Game > Names and make sure the "enemy players" box is checked.

In the Options menu I have Gameplay, Accessibility and System headings.

Not Settings > Game > Names.

Under Gameplay > Interface > Nameplates I have 'Always Show Nameplates' and 'Enemy Unit Nameplate' selected.

There's a button to toggle nameplates on the fly, no clue what's the default. Go to

Options / Keybindings / Targetting
    - show enemy nameplates
    - show friendly nameplates

Default button is 'V'. Try it.

Tried the keybindings. There are separate keybindings for Show All Nameplates, Show Friendly Nameplates and Show Enemy Nameplates.

The keybindings all work, each of them displays a brief message on the screen when it changes the setting. I see the messages saying "Enemy Nameplates On" but no nameplates appear.

Then you have some addon that changes nameplates and it's setup wrong. Disable them one by one until you find it.

I have no addons installed at all.

Try this scripts Blizzard support tells you to try.
    They worked for me when this happened to me too:

https://us.battle.net/support/en/article/45460

Hope this helps.

Ran those scripts. Restarted. Reselected Show All Nameplates, Show Friendly Nameplates and Show Enemy Nameplates.

This is what I see

pretty sure "enemy" players are not actually enemies if you're not playing with Warmode enabled, not PvP tagged or in a sanctuary.

If you can't interact with a player through abilites, you won't see a nameplate.

Quote Originally Posted by LordVargK View Post
    pretty sure "enemy" players are not actually enemies if you're not playing with Warmode enabled, not PvP tagged or in a sanctuary.

If you can't interact with a player through abilites, you won't see a nameplate.
    This. A nameplate will only be there if you can attack them.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Neutrin0 View Post
    Ran those scripts. Restarted. Reselected Show All Nameplates, Show Friendly Nameplates and Show Enemy Nameplates.

This is what I see

Notice that names are orange not red. They are not enemies per say. I feel like there is a way to turn them on still but it won't be under friendly or enemy.
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.

Then why can see nameplates for friendly players?

I just want to be able to see other players healthbars so that when I'm questing if I see someone else getting spanked because they've pulled too many mobs I can go and help out.

It would also be nice to be able to see what class they are without having to target them.

So can't I interact with them using abilities, I guess that means I can't heal or buff them or anything either?

If so why is it like that, it seems wierd to me?

It's like an MMO where half the players you can see might just as well not be there at all.

There is no PvP in remix so thats problably why you cant get nameplates for them

Quote Originally Posted by Rorixis View Post
    There is no PvP in remix so thats problably why you cant get nameplates for them
    It's the same on live. If you can't attack then, they are just hostile, not enemies. So no health bars.

- - - Updated - - -

I just want to be able to see other players healthbars so that when I'm questing if I see someone else getting spanked because they've pulled too many mobs I can go and help out.

It would also be nice to be able to see what class they are without having to target them.

So can't I interact with them using abilities, I guess that means I can't heal or buff them or anything either?

It's like an MMO where half the players you can see might just as well not be there at all.
    That's nice, but the game is not designed for you to help enemies. Factions and all that. Here's how it's seen:
    - you can't and won't help them, it's by design; you also cannot heal the other faction, btw, unless in a group instance
    - you can't attack them so there's no point to see health bars; can't heal them either, as mentioned
    - you don't need to know the class since the info helps you with nothing
    - as far as I know, you can't even inspect them (you might wanna know their xmog for example)

I want to be able to quest with the other faction, too, for example, but it wasn't designed like that to begin with. So until they (eventually) change it, gonna be a while (removing faction restrictions has been taking years already, starting with allowing tagging in pve from both factions to merc pvp and now instance grouping).
    Until then, you can try to circumvent the restrictions as best as you can. It's not great, but you can't really say it's weird considering the faction divide was a big thing to begin with.

I'm gonna assume you're newish to the game and don't really know about factions. The restrictions are loosened but eliminating them is a long and risky process, since a lot of the old players cling to them and think the Horde vs Alliance conflict is what puts war in Warcraft. As if no other war exists or matters.
    Last edited by Loveliest; 2024-07-10 at 01:03 PM.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

cause you have friendly enabled. orange = not friendly/not enemy.

they are a part of another faction. Not many mmo's allow cross faction play without grouping.
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.

10+ Year Old Account
    You have to manually click/enable "Always Show Nameplates" because its default setting is Combat Only.

Quote Originally Posted by Loveliest View Post
    I'm gonna assume you're newish to the game and don't really know about factions.
    Yes, this is the first time I've really played the game.

Currently for new players the game starts you off in BfA where the storyline is that the factions are both trying to get the Azerite McGuffin, although it was never explained why there were Horde players that we couldn't interact with running around Kul Tiras if we were supposedly at war.

I hit max level after the second zone in BfA, and there didn't seem to be much point wading through the rest of the story without levelling, so then I started DragonFlight, where at the beginning it was explained that we are all on the same side now, except the Horde are neither friends we can help nor enemies we fight.

It's all pretty confusing tbh.