Mythic+ Affix Updates in The War Within Beta - July 10, 2024

Mythic+ Affix Updates in The War Within Beta - July 10, 2024
    Originally Posted by Blizzard (Blue Tracker / Official Forums)
    Greetings, dungeoneers!

Thank you all for your feedback on our new Mythic+ affix system. As we continue to review community responses for future adjustments, we’ve made updates in this week’s Beta.

New Affix

Continuing with the theme of Xal’atath’s Bargain, where players can harness powerful boons granted to dungeon enemies by the Harbinger, we’re adding a new affix to our Beta testing this week.

Xal’atath’s Bargain: Voidbound
    • While in combat, Xal’atath summons Void Emissary to empower nearby enemies, gradually increasing their damage. Upon defeating the Void Emissary, players harness the void energy for themselves, increasing their critical chance by 20% for 20 seconds.

Affix Adjustments

Xal’atath’s Bargain: Ascendant
    • We’ve seen a lot of feedback regarding the visual noise caused by the number of orbs being created. To address this issue, we’re reducing the total number of Orb of Ascendance from 20 to 10.

Xal’atath’s Bargain: Frenzied
    • We’ve heard feedback that this affix feels less visible compared to Ascendant, and is more punishing due to its passive nature without too much counterplay. It’s also less thematic compared to Ascendant where Xal’atath is present throughout the dungeon. With these considerations, we’re removing this affix from Beta testing.

With the Xal’atath’s Bargain affixes, we want to create varied challenges that highlight different class skills and utilities in ways that do not feel exclusionary. We look forward to your feedback and discussions on these changes.

We’ll see you in dungeons!

Feels like this is going back to Seasonal afixes but as xpac specific affixes.

Mythic plus stopped being fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Mastacow View Post
    Mythic plus stopped being fun.
    Was it ever?
    It’s content I need to do, not want to do. I’d rather they make it like PvP and how gear there works, but that will never happen as I know the majority enjoy it.

Honestly, I find it remarkably refreshing and promising just how receptive to feedback Blizzard has been pretty consistently lately. It feels like upon seeing pushback from the broader community, especially when it's articulated thoughtfully with larger playerbase considerations in mind (as opposed to narrow arguments centered on personal preference), and presented alongside proposed solutions that are similarly well-considered, it takes them no time at all to incorporate that feedback.

In any creative or design endeavor, one of the hardest things is to "kill your darlings," that is, to render a bunch of work unusable and scrap it outright. Given the effort, cost, and emotional stake that goes into realizing a vision, people -- and by extension, larger entities -- tend to convince themselves that any dissenting voice "just doesn't get it" or "it's not for them." Yet, in just the past months, Blizzard not only reworked the whole Mythic+ system for S4, they then presented a whole new TWW rework for the affix issues, and when that wasn't well-received, they overhauled it yet again, and now they continue to scrap aspects of it that aren't clicking.

I'm all for calling out corporate incompetence and greed wherever it plagues games with otherwise limitless potential. Similarly, I recognize not every single issue has been perfectly addressed, and a variety of players could point out their own unmet grievances. But I also think that relentlessly refusing to acknowledge the efforts of a company clearly trying and willing to adopt player feedback will ultimately just lead to a sort of corporate learned helplessness. And when that happens, it just ends up worsening the rift between developers and the players.

So, yeah, things aren't perfect, but they seem to be getting substantially better at tackling the issues that get good quality feedback. As an example of great feedback, I think QuazziWow on YouTube is a prime example. In his video, he acknowledges their initial vision of the earlier M+ rework, yet details concrete concerns with actionable ideas for improvement.

If you're unhappy with aspects of the game, I'd suggest asking yourself if posts you've made fit that mold, or if deep down, you just want to be angry rather than seeing the game thrive.

Quote Originally Posted by Eapoe View Post
    Was it ever?
    It’s content I need to do, not want to do. I’d rather they make it like PvP and how gear there works, but that will never happen as I know the majority enjoy it.
    You don't have to do it. You can do LFR, world events, etc. without doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mastacow View Post
    You don't have to do it. You can do LFR, world events, etc. without doing it.
    Not if I want to continue working on getting the best gear, at a decent rate, while not holding my raid team back