Frost mages at Illadan

Just a quick question...

Why are most of the mages deep frost speeced for Illiadan encounter?

Seraa

Re: Frost mages at Illadan

i havent been to the encounter myself but the fire elementals summoned by illidan in phase 2 are immune to fire which is most likely part of it, also from what i sawit seemed most effective for frost mages to frost nova parasites and then ice lance spam as it makes quick effortless work of them, beyond that, no idea.

well i was asking myself the exact same question and decided to ask Nihilum, as i know they use deep frost. the answer i got was not really satisfying as they only said that it was because of the fire elementals and that deep frost do more dps than arcane frost (wich i havent tried out since i have stopped playing but i still doubt it. atleast i used to make more dps with my 40/0/21 spec.)

link to the post on Nihilum.eu -> http://nihilum.wazap.com/forum/raids...s-illidan.html

Thanks for quick respond.

Quote Originally Posted by vonholck
    well i was asking myself the exact same question and decided to ask Nihilum, as i know they use deep frost. the answer i got was not really satisfying as they only said that it was because of the fire elementals and that deep frost do more dps than arcane frost (wich i havent tried out since i have stopped playing but i still doubt it. atleast i used to make more dps with my 40/0/21 spec.)

link to the post on Nihilum.eu -> http://nihilum.wazap.com/forum/raids...s-illidan.html
    40/0/21?

More dps in instances maybe, yeah. In raids? Hardly. You would be oom before phase 2 even starts.

I think there are several reason for mages being deep frost on Illidan;

1) Phase 2
    2) More survivability. I was looking at Kerps pov, and it look like he was getting a shitload of damage out of nowhere all the time.
    3) Killing the parasites.

Not to mention that archimonde is also fire resistant so it might be partly for that fight too
    Does this happen often?

Phase 2 is the part of the encounter where you really need to make your raid pump out all the DPS they can...

However ... unless they equip 2x Tier4 pieces in that phase even frost shouldn't be good to deal with those fire elementals. Since you'll constantly get bombarded with ~3-4k AoE damage, during that phase, and thus get spellcasttime knockbacks. The best would be to spec full arcane as a mage for that fight imo.. since you won't have to gimp your gear and it should do overall alot more DPS then frost.

And having to drink a few mana pots more or less for the "last" fight in the game shouldn't be a problem either.. they might have specced frost to go pvp with it afterwards or something : p

15+ Year Old Account

Well, "Both you and LR seem to use deep frost mages in the fight, and still they manage to stay in top of the dps meter, how can this be?"

Reason for that is, that all the frost elementals adds for each mage. So the frost mage instead of his elemental, he gets all other elementals dmg too showing. (pets merged at swstats - same name pet).

Other than that, frost for illidan is required for elementals at phase 2 (immune to fire) and full frost is nice to have for ice barrier, helps alot at phase2-3 etc, cause u get nuked alot.

Quote Originally Posted by azr

40/0/21?

More dps in instances maybe, yeah. In raids? Hardly. You would be oom before phase 2 even starts.
    why would you go oom faster as arc/frost?
    The build gives more int and more innate mana regen as well as the same reduction talents.

Bad Debuffs on Illidan, insane damage every few seconds, Mages need Iceblock so the healers don't have to waste mana on them and the Flames as said earlier are immune to fire.

Dark Barrage: Illidan randomly chooses a player and places a dark eye beam on him, which deals 3000 shadow damage per second for 10 seconds.
    Flames of Azzinoth:

* Health: around 1 million
    * Melee hit: They hit for around 2-3k fire damage on 385 fire resistance, and can both crit and crush.
    * Blaze: The Flames will leave a cloud of yellow flame underneath them on the ground, which deals 5000 fire damage per second. Two different Blazes in the same location DO stack.
    * Flame Blast: Frontal cone 15 yard AOE which deals 7000-9000 fire damage.
    * Enrage/Charge - If a raid member is too far away from one of the Flames they will charge that player and Enrage, becoming untankable and wiping the raid.
    Parasitic Shadowfiend - Random raid members will be targeted with a Parasites debuff lasting 10 seconds and dealing 3k shadow damage every 2 seconds. Once this debuff has ticked off, 2 Parasites will spawn at the affected player's location and attempt to melee whoever is highest on global threat (generally a healer). If they are successful in this melee attack, the targeted raid member will receive the Parasitic Shadowfiend debuff. Parasites have around 6k HP.
    Agonizing Flames: Illidan will randomly target a player and cast this, dealing 4000 initial fire damage to the target and anyone within 5 yards, and giving them a debuff which causes fire 3k damage every 5 seconds for 1 minute. He will only use this ability in human form in phase 3.
    http://www.wowwiki.com/Illidan_Stormrage_%28tactics%29
    9/11/08 - Priests will never forgive, and never forget.

Quote Originally Posted by Lunabel
    Well, "Both you and LR seem to use deep frost mages in the fight, and still they manage to stay in top of the dps meter, how can this be?"

Reason for that is, that all the frost elementals adds for each mage. So the frost mage instead of his elemental, he gets all other elementals dmg too showing. (pets merged at swstats - same name pet).

Other than that, frost for illidan is required for elementals at phase 2 (immune to fire) and full frost is nice to have for ice barrier, helps alot at phase2-3 etc, cause u get nuked alot.
    How can I add my WE's dmg to my own in a dmg meter? (same question for lock pets, hunters' and SP's shadowfiends). I heard there was a way (or a specific mod maybe?), but I clearly have no idea how to. Any tips?
    I'm usually at the other end of that fireball you just got in your face ;-)

Just to clarify, frost mages are in no way essential for Illidan. We had 3 arcane/fire mages on him on our first kill, didnt have any issues.

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by Juju
    How can I add my WE's dmg to my own in a dmg meter? (same question for lock pets, hunters' and SP's shadowfiends). I heard there was a way (or a specific mod maybe?), but I clearly have no idea how to. Any tips?
    If you're the only one using your elemental it's easy, or if everyone uses it with approximatively the same results you can try to divide total pet damage and add.
    I don't see anyway to separate pets from the same combat log though, since they'll all have the same name on combat log lines. Maybe by using a very small combat log range and keeping your own pet near and the others further away you could filter your own out ?

Quote Originally Posted by Dje
    If you're the only one using your elemental it's easy, or if everyone uses it with approximatively the same results you can try to divide total pet damage and add.
    I don't see anyway to separate pets from the same combat log though, since they'll all have the same name on combat log lines. Maybe by using a very small combat log range and keeping your own pet near and the others further away you could filter your own out ?
    So there's no command on a DMG meter that could say something like add Juju's pet's dmg to Juju's dmg? :'( (I'd have to double check, but I think when i summon a WE it says he's MY minion or something, no?)
    I'm usually at the other end of that fireball you just got in your face ;-)

So there's no command on a DMG meter that could say something like add Juju's pet's dmg to Juju's dmg? :'( (I'd have to double check, but I think when i summon a WE it says he's MY minion or something, no?)
    Damage meter addons parse the combatlog and there only the names of units are given... and all Water Elementals have the same name

Try getting the addon Recount. It shows whos minion it is after it's name, for instance Water Elemental <Juju>

Btw, It's Ace2'd

Blizzard did say they hope to re-work the combat log system before WotlK and possibly add thier own threat meter into the game.

Of this I approve.

illidan is a dps fight, frost sucks. it's good for maybe learning an encounter but arcane if you want real dps

Quote Originally Posted by aliengrey
    illidan is a dps fight, frost sucks. it's good for maybe learning an encounter but arcane if you want real dps
    While arcane or fire are superior dmg specs (fire is generally superior except for the T5 set bonus - that if the change in the 2.2 patch didn't change the AM in a more permanent way), there are other things in a fight than dmg. Actually, for dmg other classes would be more adequate (locks, rogues and hunters...).

One main reason for frost over fire/arc is because during Phase 4, the Shadow demons need to be slowed so you can kill them. If you don't kill them before they reach their target, their target dies instantly and the demons switch to different targets. Improved Blizzard and Permafrost help immensely during this part of the encounter. Not to mention Shatter + Ice Lance owns the fleshfiends.