Thread: Arena Season 3

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast

Re: Arena Season 3

Quote Originally Posted by Ironic
    Didn't season 1 start at the release of BC? If so you have to take into consideration the time for ppl to lvl to 70. That's the way i explain the longer duration of season 1. Anyhoo, time to save up on them arena points
    Nope it didn't, it started in Feb. Now you could still do skirmishes and stuff, but not rated arenas.
    Characters:
    http://pewpewboom.zer.googlepages.com/zer%27scharacter2

oh ok, thx. The arena system started with the release of TBC but the rated battles started in feb. Thanx for the clarification.

actually no :P the arena skirmishes started with patch 2.0 which came out a month or two BEFORE BC. but the rated arenas started in feb

Season lasting 4months would make sense even though I heard too that the original plan was 3monts (4seasons a year that way), but 3 seasons a year works just as well if not better (people get to use their sets more)
    I'm usually at the other end of that fireball you just got in your face ;-)

It is tricky to find a balance between poorer teams getting to use any gear in a season - ie. give them a chance to get 4/5 bonus; yet at the same time, dont make the top 10% of teams have nothing to do with their points.

My team is no way a "top team" but I have 4/5 S2 items and 1/5 S1 and 3,4k points. I have prince's dagger and im waiting for the patch for the shield, but really after that, there is nothing for me to buy - other than resto gear.

My point is that no matter how long a season is, someone will grumble.

Well actually blizzard are drawing a line so that players who aren't that good at arena won't get season 3 gear.

Not sure about the armor, but the new weapons will certainly require you to be in an arena team of a certain rating (eg 1900) in order to buy the weapon with your arena points. This way the casual arena players cant save up for 2 months and buy a really good weapon.

Quote Originally Posted by Corespam
    Well actually blizzard are drawing a line so that players who aren't that good at arena won't get season 3 gear.

Not sure about the armor, but the new weapons will certainly require you to be in an arena team of a certain rating (eg 1900) in order to buy the weapon with your arena points. This way the casual arena players cant save up for 2 months and buy a really good weapon.
    See, that's the problem, who cares if 'casual' gamers get a good weapon. If your on a good team already, you will have half your set AND probably TWO good weapons in that same 2 month spam. I'm just glad this cap will only affect weapons, as i have a hunter who only really needs the bow/xbow/gun, w/e will be best at the time

I really can't stand it when people are like "this casual doesnt deserve x weapon or x gear" why? WHY don't they deserve it and you do? People get all mad over nothing and to those people who are like " your rating sucks and ours is ubers" here it goes: Ratings to me ONLY matter if your the team is the one that won the tournament and won the money, if your not one of those teams you can shut up about your rating because unless you win that tourney, really, your rating doesnt mean squat

Quote Originally Posted by Keldoeri29
    People get all mad over nothing
    you sound mad
    and then he cupped my balls...

I really can't stand it when people are like "this casual doesnt deserve x weapon or x gear" why? WHY don't they deserve it and you do?
    maybe because the persons with 1900+ rating actually made an effort to gain these items? pvp looting should work the same way as pve, if you cant manage to kill a boss or atain a certain rank, well then its a nogo and you do not deserve to wear that piece of equipment.

maybe because the persons with 1900+ rating actually made an effort to gain these items? pvp looting should work the same way as pve, if you cant manage to kill a boss or atain a certain rank, well then its a nogo and you do not deserve to wear that piece of equipment.
    Why? that still doesn't answer my question. WoW was built to cater to the casual gamer, where he can put 1-3 hours maybe a day. They pay the same money as anyone else does, why SHOULDN'T they have a CHANCE, and IT IS just a CHANCE because if your pushing 1900+ rating anyways you should be getting MINIMUM 1000 points a week, probably ONLY putting in the 10 games minium a week as well, so the 1900+ rated team are STILL getting the gear they deserve at a MUCH MUCH FASTER pace, thus, STILL giving them the edge that they so desperately need to feel uber who will steamroll the 1500 rated team anyways because they are so much better right? All the while the team rated at 1500 or lower will get loot MUCH MUCH slower, thus NOT having as much as an edge due to time/family/they suck/or just not being able to play as much, again thusly not getting as good. I don't see the problem.

If the 1900 rated team is getting 1000 points weekly, that means they SHOULD already have their full 5/5 A2 gear + maybe a weapon or 2 by the 2nd month, and by the third month they can horde their 5k points so that when A3 comes out BOOM at LEAST 2-3 pieces of gear on the freaking day A3 BARELY comes out?! ALL the while the 1500 rated team is probably barely finishing up getting his A2 gear, let alone won't even get the weapons.

Again, i see the people who are complaining as people who WANT NO competition and just want to tout their "L33T-ness". They are already uber, i mean how much of an advantage do they want? I mean, if their team is really that good, why the hell QQ about other people EVENTUALLY getting geared? are they afraid to lose to a "underdog" team? if thats the case maybe they are not that good afterall!?? I don't know, you answer that for me, im trying to make sense of why a 1900+ team would even care about a 1500 team getting geared? Answer that

Quote Originally Posted by vonholck
    pvp looting should work the same way as pve,
    So we can still take scrubs into SSC for gold? So we can still give scrub 1900+ arena ratings that they obviously cant keep up, but hey who says they have to keep it up, the system is rating dependent right? So they just have to be in a team of that caliber.

So we can still take scrubs into SSC for gold? So we can still give scrub 1900+ arena ratings that they obviously cant keep up, but hey who says they have to keep it up, the system is rating dependent right? So they just have to be in a team of that caliber.
    Imagine that! You thought gold farming was bad? Welcome the new Arena Scalping business? Hoarded enough points to get that weapon? Thats cool, hey pay me about 500g, and me and my team will invite you into our 1900+ rated team for the week, you get the rating, you get your weapon

Imagine that! You thought gold farming was bad? Welcome the new Arena Scalping business? Hoarded enough points to get that weapon? Thats cool, hey pay me about 500g, and me and my team will invite you into our 1900+ rated team for the week, you get the rating, you get your weapon
    I'll give you $50. :]

Quote Originally Posted by vonholck
    I really can't stand it when people are like "this casual doesnt deserve x weapon or x gear" why? WHY don't they deserve it and you do?
    I'm willing to bet that in the past a majority of the players trying to get the rank in the old pvp system did NOT do it all by themselves. They had help, so you can't say they are the only ones that deserve it. And now each member of the team doesn't play 100% of the games, so somebody getting the benefits of certain players in the teams. It's no different from a casual player getting it in the long run.

I'll let your dog live one more day :-)
    I'm usually at the other end of that fireball you just got in your face ;-)

15+ Year Old Account

It's not going to happen if Blizzard also implements a minimum lifetime participation percentage requirement on the team also, in order to prevent poor players from exploiting the system by paying high-caliber teams to piggyback their rating for a week.

I was against the rating requirements, as it had the potential to create a profitable exploit that would undermine the value of the system in place, but if Blizzard were to implement a minimum lifetime participation requirement as well, the loophole would be closed.

Honestly, I have to admit I've done a 180 and fully support this decision if it's properly integrated. I had an incredibly rough start in 5v5 at the start of season 2 and dropped to a 1333 rating. What I witnessed in the lower brackets as our team clawed back up the ranks (Keldorei and I are on the same team) were teams running around with next to full S2 armor, so gear dependant that their resilience levels ALMOST made up for their complete lack of skill and cohesion. This is unacceptable.

The system needs to be fixed so that mediocre players can't just simply skip a tier of existing high quality gear for the cream of the crop gear of the new season. The gear should be indicative of both persistence AND skill. As it stands now, it's only idicative of the former.

Keep in mind that the current assesment is that S2 prices will NOT drop next season, but S3 armor will be even more expensive and only the weapons will have rating requirements. Rather than crying about the supposed unfairness, buck up, grab yourself some S2 gear now and earn your S3 gear.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulqiorra View Post
    If you equate playing WoW to having electricity, I feel very, very happy for the rest of the world, as that kind of thinking will, inevitably, lead to the eradication of your seed from the gene pool.
    WoW Toons: Duskwind (retired)/Duskrime (retired)
    Diablo 3 Profile

I don't know, you answer that for me, im trying to make sense of why a 1900+ team would even care about a 1500 team getting geared? Answer that
    Simply bacause it is incredibly anoying for someone, that makes a great effort, and use alot of time achieving something, to see other less skilled (if not even noobish) and less dedicated players achieve the same. When you actually spwnd lots of time and efforts to do something you also want to get some reward for it, rather simple to me.

I really think you should stop whining about this, i dont see why you think that you should get every thing delivered without an effort in this game. Make up what you want with this game, if thats beeing casual and not really using that much time and effort to gain (for eksample) arena raitings, well then dont whine because you dont get all the items in the end. and btw all of this is comming from one of those "casuals", i have never been on a team with more than 1780 rating, and i wear only one a1 piece and 1 a2 piece.

Quote Originally Posted by mowbuss
    As others have allready said, this is not only happening in pve, but just as much in pvp, as players let someone random into their nicelly rated teams, and just take those 10 games with em. yet another sad way to exploit the game.

Ive been following this post from the start and I really must be missing something. I dont understand why a high rated team would care if a low rated team eventually bought an arena wpn?

I see alot of ppl saying that its not "fair", that they have put in the time/effort/dedication for their Arena gear. Following that line of thought, shouldnt the low rated team, who put in the amount of time/effort/dedication to get that 1 item, be able to get it?

The high rated team is going to get alot more of the gear, alot faster than a low rated team, therefore their time/effort/dedication is being rewarded.

What am i not understanding about this discussion? (I really want to know, since I am going to be getting into the Arenas soon)

15+ Year Old Account

Keld isn't necessarily whining, nor is he a lazy noob who wants gear handed to him on a silver platter. Like I said before, we're on the same 5v5 team and I can attest to his determination and dedication, despite the casual attitude we take from time to time.

Let the lowbies cry all they want. My main concern is that the minimum rate requirement gets set TOO high, creating a glass ceiling for the good teams that, despite their best efforts, just can't seem break through to meet the qualification. LikeI said before, we'll still have Season 2 gear available to us, which will not have the prerequisites included, so the smart decision is to address our needs now in preparation for the next season rather than hoard for that one piece of uber-gear. A balanced set of gear is always better than prancing around w/ one piece of S3 amongst a wardrobe of KZ/Gruul/S1 gear.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulqiorra View Post
    If you equate playing WoW to having electricity, I feel very, very happy for the rest of the world, as that kind of thinking will, inevitably, lead to the eradication of your seed from the gene pool.
    WoW Toons: Duskwind (retired)/Duskrime (retired)
    Diablo 3 Profile

maybe its not hardcore vs casual, but more pve vs pvp. weapons usualy are the slot you benefit most from with upgrades. with these weapons you would throw away all old pve weapons, unless youre very deep into endgame content. the gear itself is good aswell, ofc, but with the different stat allocation not important enough for pve.

what do you think about that?

p.s. does anyone know when season 3 will come?
    I sleep, for it is in the dream that I am truly free.