Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Disc priest in arena

Right now im leveling a disc preist for arena because i think they have great utilities such as Mana burn, imp mass dispell, imp bubbles, the ability to off heal the party (making them good in 3v3 and 5v5) and i was just wondering if that would be a good class to roll.

Gorn

Re: Disc priest in arena

I am discipline priest and i must say its awsome at 1st they cant kill me, dispell cast time is 0.5 sec (paly bye). Im using almost full disc build with "pain suppresion" and with that i can survive rogue or any other attacker with no problem + heal others (well i can do that even without the buble) I think that disc priest is better than paladin or so in the arena. Im in team with mage and hunter we have rating over 2000 atm.

Im really not looking into healing a ton, im just going to be their to 1. kill pallys 2.keep everyone bubbled. 3.look like im the healer because im a priest that isnt in shadow form. I will probably have some hybrid class healing such as shaman or druid. or ill just go with the usual and just let a pally heal for our team. im not sure if we would be lacking dps though. with imp mana burn i could put out a decent amount of dps. im fairly sure any MS warrior can take down a pally or any other healer if im helping with mana burns and a occational mind blast. Im probably going to be running around in all healing gear though. Ill just work to keep bubbles and renews on all of the party.

2 healers will destroy teams with all dps groups in 3v3. slowly but surely

as a disc priest your going to find you got the worst of 2 worlds,

you will have almost no cc and your healing will be sub par, and your dps will stink.

what i suggest for what you wanna do is get a tri build

get mindflay, reduced cd on fear, and maybe even silince in shadow, get some +healing in holy, and imp fort and survivability in disc,

the silience and reduced cd on fear will make you much better at crowd control
    the mindflay will increase your dps, and help kitting for the the main healer
    imp shield and fort will be good for buffing your group

thats imo

My latests expieriences as a healing priest in arenas show that a disc build with pain supression is very good in 2v2 but rather poor in 5v5 and 3v3. In 2v2, you got 8 seconds of being imba, seconds which can lead to a win. In 3v3 and 5v5 i preffer blessed resilience from the holy tree

Imo palas outplay holy/disc priests in 2v2 and 3v3 as healers. Plate, shield, bubble and all that makes them far better survivors than priests. Cloth just aint good enough...

Sadly, the nr1 healing class beofre tbc, has been surpassed by druids, shammys and palas in ways of surviving and keeping others alive. Just look at topguilds doing pve, they dont keep priests for healing anylonger...

Gorn

Quote Originally Posted by hammur
    Imo palas outplay holy/disc priests in 2v2 and 3v3 as healers. Plate, shield, bubble and all that makes them far better survivors than priests. Cloth just aint good enough...

You probably dont know what is DISC not holy priest about...

Quote Originally Posted by Gorn
    Quote Originally Posted by hammur

You probably dont know what is DISC not holy priest about...
    You probably didnt knew that I play holy/disc either so...

Gorn

Idk but i can survive anything in arena ... i use almost full disc build with pain suppresion and so... and you can dispell buble in 0.5 sec

i hate disc priests. i cant kill them.

I guess my question basically comes down to one thing. Do you think that Pain Suppression is a better talent than Blessed Resilience? IMO Blessed Resilience > Pain Suppression for arena.

There is a reason why so many top Arena priests are 28/33. You can say that you don't want to be "cookie cutter" but for a build to become "cookie cutter" means it has proven itself to be effective, and there is also plenty of room for variation in a 28/33 build.

with 28/33 you can still get Imp Mana Burn and 2/2 Focused Power for the imp Mass Dispel. Blessed Resilience is also passive and can activate on any offensive crit, including crits from pets. A lot of pet classes like to put their pets on the priest for casting pushback, but by doing so the pet can proc Blessed Resilience and severely diminish burst DPS on the priest. A wimpy pet crit from a hunter/lock that is conditioned to put it's pet on cloth can tank burst DPS. Since BE is passive it can also proc if you are stun-locked, which is nice against high crit% rogues (i.e. haven't gone mace) while you are stunned, as opposed to PS which needs to be cast.

Blessed Resilience can also cancel out the crit talents of other classes when active. Things like Shatter and Cold Blood are worthless if BE is up. Any time Blessed Resilience procs you negate any points your opponent has in crit talents for 6 seconds. It also passive and not on a CD (let alone a 3 min cooldown), meaning the buff can be up for more than 8 seconds every 3 minutes. It is a life saver when being focus fired and is wonderful against pet classes that aren't cognitive of the fact their pet can proc it.

Quote Originally Posted by LinearChaosX
    I guess my question basically comes down to one thing. Do you think that Pain Suppression is a better talent than Blessed Resilience? IMO Blessed Resilience > Pain Suppression for arena.

There is a reason why so many top Arena priests are 28/33. You can say that you don't want to be "cookie cutter" but for a build to become "cookie cutter" means it has proven itself to be effective, and there is also plenty of room for variation in a 28/33 build.

with 28/33 you can still get Imp Mana Burn and 2/2 Focused Power for the imp Mass Dispel. Blessed Resilience is also passive and can activate on any offensive crit, including crits from pets. A lot of pet classes like to put their pets on the priest for casting pushback, but by doing so the pet can proc Blessed Resilience and severely diminish burst DPS on the priest. A wimpy pet crit from a hunter/lock that is conditioned to put it's pet on cloth can tank burst DPS. Since BE is passive it can also proc if you are stun-locked, which is nice against high crit% rogues (i.e. haven't gone mace) while you are stunned, as opposed to PS which needs to be cast.

Blessed Resilience can also cancel out the crit talents of other classes when active. Things like Shatter and Cold Blood are worthless if BE is up. Any time Blessed Resilience procs you negate any points your opponent has in crit talents for 6 seconds. It also passive and not on a CD (let alone a 3 min cooldown), meaning the buff can be up for more than 8 seconds every 3 minutes. It is a life saver when being focus fired and is wonderful against pet classes that aren't cognitive of the fact their pet can proc it.
    Pain Suppression > Blessed Resilience. If you get the Resilience "cap" you should be around 12.5% crit reduction already. You wont be critted alot (beside Scorch Mages and Fire Warlocks, maybe elem shammy).

Pain Suppression is too useful when you get jumped by a rogue or you see that huge POM Pyro flying toward your face.

EDIT: PS also get buffed in next expension, 1 minute cooldown, castable on others.

There is build is http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=rxgGzIgtrzxobZVMhz (mind flay help with the CC or prevent that warrior to get too fast to that caster)

There is also http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=dxgGzIgtrzxofVz (the aoe rank 1 is nice to reveal rogues, and 10% less spell damage is alway welcome)
    I am indestructible.

Epic Noob's Vehicle

This is the spec i was thinking about. http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=dxgGzIgtrzxofVz

Disc is great for surviving peaopl while being focused (u'll need a secodn healer in a 5v5 though), however, do not hope to do much dmg, u simply won't have the time to hit with anything but pain and shadow word death (well, any instant cast), and don't even think about using that dmg boost buff on anything else than ur mage friend (on urself it would be suicide)
    I'm usually at the other end of that fireball you just got in your face ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Sybex
    This is the spec i was thinking about. http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=dxgGzIgtrzxofVz
    Yeah this is the best
    I am indestructible.

Epic Noob's Vehicle

I made a Disc priest on the PTR with the Pre made charector and i lasted a long time and didnt run out of mana very much. i thought it was great playing a 70 disc preist in arena. and it looks like they are gonna buff Pain suppresion. So you can use it on other people and it has only a 1 minute cd. Too bad my dps on my team sucked. so we lost a lot.

We used to run Shadow (me) UA lock and disc priest got the 3v3 to 1850, and the 5v5 was the same setup + pala and ms war, went up to 1803, then he went shadow and we start loosing =). So the moral is a disc priest really keeps the team going up.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitko_A
    We used to run Shadow (me) UA lock and disc priest got the 3v3 to 1850, and the 5v5 was the same setup + pala and ms war, went up to 1803, then he went shadow and we start loosing =). So the moral is a disc priest really keeps the team going up.
    indeed.
    I am indestructible.

Epic Noob's Vehicle

28/33 is far superiror to full disc build atm. However, when pain supression gets 1 min cd and can be castable on others, well now we're talking

Quote Originally Posted by Coocks
    28/33 is far superiror to full disc build atm. However, when pain supression gets 1 min cd and can be castable on others, well now we're talking
    Could you link me the build you are talking about?
    I am indestructible.

Epic Noob's Vehicle