Enhancement Shamans

Hey guys, I've been a mage for about two years now and I think I'm about ready to roll another character. So, I was thinking if anyone could tell me what enhancement Shamans are like in PvP/PvE situations.I've heard mixed things on this topic, so I want someone here to clear this up for me. I want some change!
    www.elitistjerks.com

Re: Enhancement Shamans

Tag because I just started playing a Shaman as well<previous mage>. Thinking about sticking with Enhancement for end-game even though I hear bad things! :]

Dual wield enhance for PvE is the way to go. 2hand for PvE = trash only b/c it's not constant dmg compared to dual wield BUT it's really up to you about how you play him/her or w/e.

Quote Originally Posted by Apoc
    Dual wield enhance for PvE is the way to go. 2hand for PvE = trash only b/c it's not constant dmg compared to dual wield BUT it's really up to you about how you play him/her or w/e.
    So how is the DPS in a raid, Apoc? Compared to an equally geared mage or rogue, how would an enhance shaman stack up?
    www.elitistjerks.com

Quote Originally Posted by Gigas
    So how is the DPS in a raid, Apoc? Compared to an equally geared mage or rogue, how would an enhance shaman stack up?
    Pretty much the same although it's gear dependant and shaman gear isn't really the most often of drops because it's a specific class drop. Mages use caster cloth gear. Now if you're into it you can of course go cloth shaman and pretty much always stay in the top 3 in raids but no aggro and CC are going to make you a lesser priority in a raid and if you roll on cloth gear well... you're not gonna get any . So good luck on the guild you're gonna join.
    In pvp though as we all know aggro doesn't really mean anything so it's pure holocaust if you manage to not get yourself in trouble. No CC remember? :]

Clockwork

From when I used to raid in 25 mans we brought a few Enhancement shamans along, and they had to try really hard to stay close to the top. The main reason for this is because there's no real aggro dump (invisibility, feint, fade etc.) So it can be quite hard to control that aggro of yours, especially with a proc based dps like windfury!

Nevertheless, it's a hell of alot of fun to see those numbers

Deleted

Additionnaly, the melee classes from your group will adore you.

Quote Originally Posted by Dje
    Additionnaly, the melee classes from your group will adore you.
    qft

I know nothing about shamans in PvE, but what I do know, if that healing shamans are tough as hell to kill (they heal like gods or close, and their their totems are more usufull than anyone will ever admit (especially against fear), enhancment does decent in 1v1, never rly had that many problems with them, and melee shamans seem broken in pvp (never had one killing me since TBC (I play a mage and a lock), so I'll say try some healing, but don't delete your mage just yet ;-)
    For PvE just trust the above posts, all I know is I love those casting totems (+dmg and +3%crit and hit) more than I love a moonkin (there I said it, moonkins suck at, deal with it!)
    I'm usually at the other end of that fireball you just got in your face ;-)

Well, there are a few things to understand about playing an enhancement shaman. First, you've got to realize that when you are in a raid group, your individual DPS means almost nothing, so if you go into it expecting to top charts or trying to top charts then you will end up walking away with either a very sore ego or a very large repair bill, or both. Being enhance in raids is about your support utility. Your job is to make sure you a) don't pull aggro and die, because then you are useless, b) make sure you keep your windfury/grace of air/strength of earth totems up and unleashed rage procced, and c) at least try to help keep your group up (not nessesarily in that order). If you are the type that will watch a rogue in your group tick down and die because you want to save your last bit of mana for an earth shock, then an enhancement shaman is not for you. If you are the type that must top dps to validate his existence in the world of warcraft, then an enchancement shaman is not for you. If you are the type who loves to play support and make the strong stronger and like to manage DPSing, buffing, and light spot-healing all at once, then an enhancement shaman might be for you.

As far as pvp goes, 2h is almost always > DW. For BG's snag yourself some nice big 2h axe or mace and have fun. I gotta say though, trying to do organized pvp such as arenas as an enhance shaman is just ignorant. Even with a two hander, the best you can hope to do is help burst down one person and pop heroism before you get straight up murdered by everyone on the other team. Shamans are often the first focus target for most teams anyway, and as enhance, you are a straight up free kill to most people in arenas. They have no appreciable CC, a mediocre slow, and no way to get away once they are snared. Combine that with the fact that they are in most cases squishier than some casters (who at least have talents to increase armor/damage reduction), you just die too fast and too easily to be of any use. If you want to pvp, spec Elemental or (<3) resto. Resto shamans are probably the single hardest class for melee to kill. Thier survivability is amazing and they usually have 10-13k armor with thier shields equipped. Elemental is a fine pvp spec for arenas as well. With 500-600 spell damage (easily obtainable from 70 blues) you can expect to crit for upwards of 3k and your damage is much more consistent. You have much greater survivability as well due to the fact that you are wearing a shield the whole time.

So there you go, I hope that helps. This is just from my experience playing all of the various shaman specs. I don't know everything but this is what I have observed in my time pvping and pveing with both of my shamans.

I've played both elemental and enhancement. I used enhancement to level and switched to elemental due to a couple factors. First off, enhancement doesn't really start to get good till you can get 2h weapons, but you should be aiming for DW when you can. I waited to DW until I had the accuracy points put in, which I think was a good idea. And in PvP 2h weapon with windfury is superior by far because most people don't stay still long enough for you to go to town. And just as a side note; I installed a real time dps mod and I tended to get higher dps with flametongue on both weapons as opposed to the crowd favorite windfury/flametongue combo. (Windfury is intended for heavy hitting weapons and weapons the have chance to hit effects)

I really enojyed being in the fray, attacking like crazy, and seeing huge numbers fly around. And you're a huge, accessible target in PvP. I ended up switching to elemental because I was having a rough time getting into melee during raids and I needed more mana because people want you to off-heal (which shouldn't be a problem). And I was able to pull off much bigger single blows in PvP and I was able to keep away from melee-ers a little better, not to mention that I get to carry a shield. I really enjoyed both speccs, and I honestly couldn't pick a favorite. Right now I'm running with a 31/0/30 spec that's pretty useful in PvE, raiding and PvP. (However a resto build would rock in PvP, esp. the arena)

No matter what spec you go with, just learn your abilities, play smart, and its a really fun class. Good luck and have fun! ;D ;D ;D

Quote Originally Posted by Gigas
    eh, all depends on the group set up, if they stack groups to match an enhance shammy, then once again it goes down to gear, and if you can beat the 3 second windfury nerf with the right weapons with haste procs and what not. If you can do that, plus get a hunter feral/DPS druid fury warrior you will be fine on DPS

So...I'am playing an enhancement shaman since 1year as a main (previous was a Mage lol). And the best for pve is dual weild with 2*2.60(+) weapons speed + mongoose + http://www.wowhead.com/?item=32409 AND BONUS HIT !!!!(<= important).

Personally, I'am 05/42/14 spec for +3%hit rating spell&mele. In 25raid i'm often in the top5 DM 700~800Dps
    In pvp I think that a 2H @ 3.60 speed with a huge critical rate is better. the most problem that you have is to be stun. Remember: if you're green/blue-stuffed, you have NO CHANCES IN PVP (or they're noobs ).

But, since this week I started 2v2 arenas with a 200-resilience-palaheal, and we up at 1700 rate easily. I used my pve epic gear (look my armory ^^). In the future, I'm sure that palaheal+enhancement shaman ll'be one of the best 2v2 team. Need 2.3 patch! : hope :

(Sorry for my english >_<)