Tips for Leveling a Warrior

Hello everyone,

I was just looking for some advice, mainly in respects to gear of what I should pick up for my warrior as I level it. Currently I am dual wielding at level 23 up until I get my Whirlwind weapon at lvl 30 which I will enchant. After that what should I look for, anything out of an instance or a world drop is fine by me. I appreciate the input, thanks.

Deleted

Re: Tips for Leveling a Warrior

I was about to give the usual answer - check out http://wow-loot.com/warrior.htm

but I took a look and they changed it, so it no longer has anything applicable to pre-tbc

In general, for levelling, you'll want to keep a nice mix of STR, CRIT(AGI) & STAM. If your primary goal is levelling, I wouldn't bust a gut to farm for specific kit. Do the instances that you need for xp and if good kit drops, great. If not, then don't worry, just carry on with your plan.

Weapons make a fair difference. Try to keep up to date with a decent one. The whirlwind Axe stays good for a fair few levels.

Gear while leveling isn't thát important, Sta/Str/Agi being most important. When speccing Poleaxe more Sta/Str, coz of the +5% crit in talents.

I played like this:

DW till 30, then respecc Poleaxe and get whirlwind axe. At 40-ish got Grimlok's Charge in Uldaman, at 47 Stoneraven (world drop), then 51 Lord Alexander's Battle Axe (world drop). I only enchanted Whirlwind and the Battle Axe.

After that I went to outlands and got me a nice DPS-upgrade through a green axe from a quest, and at 64 I finally got Warsong Howling Axe to drop from Blood Furnace. I kept that one till 70 before I got Terrok's quill.

ATM playing with Sonic Spear.

GL on getting to 70!

As for the weapons u definitively use te Whirlwind wep till you are aout 40, then you get Grimlok's Charge. 45-51 i have no clue i have been tanking then. 51-60(58) Ice Barbed Spear, 60-61 the green axe from the quest in hellfire. 61-65 The Halberd from ramparts 65-69 Honed Voidaxe, 69-70 Crystalforged waraxe..... 70 take your pick

Quote Originally Posted by Amethyst
    I was about to give the usual answer - check out http://wow-loot.com/warrior.htm

but I took a look and they changed it, so it no longer has anything applicable to pre-tbc
    its still working for pre TBC content

just press BIG BLUE BUTTON on TOP ... "Pre-Expansion Warrior List" ... after u press warrior class.

or just use this link http://www.wow-loot.com/v1-warrior.htm

Deleted

The most important thing for an Arms warrior while levelling is an up-to-date weapon. Running around with a weapon from 10 levels ago makes you extremely ineffective.

Seriously - the single-most important item is an up-to-date weapon. The entire rest of your gear matters about as much as the weapon.

Don't let more than 5 levels go without updating your weapon.

15+ Year Old Account

i put this together awhile back:

http://wow.allakhazam.com/db/class.h...;num=90;page=1

as for weapons:

30 - ww weap
    35 - bonebiter (alli sm quest reward)
    43 - executioner's cleaver
    51 - ice noob spear

then get your crazy good outlands rewards...

but whatever you do, don't forget to pick up the halaani claymore and sword spec at level 66... it's only a green quality vendor item but it kicks amazing arse.

Hello all I've also just begun to start an alt warrior and honestly I don't know much about the class which is why I would like to ask here but before I do, "I am" looking around for warrior guides and talent builds etc. anything that will help me get familiar with the warrior class and abilities.

As mentioned I just started the warrior and i'm at level 9 and my plan is to tank my way up and what I mean by tanking is exactly that, hitting Dead Mines around 19-20, wailing caverns, shadowfang keep and just keep going into the appropriate dungeons my level as I progress so I was thinking of going down the protection tree but am not sure of the stats I need in gear/weapons. Is this a good plan/choice of going protection so early? I know it will affect my questing since I won't be doing much damage but if i'm geared right and a few levels higher for the quests i'm doing, i should be okay right? Since I plan to tank these lower level dungeons as much as I can my xp will come from that.

My main goal is to be a dependable tank for any 5 man quest and/or dungeons including these lower level ones so I want to start early learning how to aggro more than 1 and being able to maintain that aggro so that once I hit BC dungeons/heroics/raids I got my strategy down and know the warrior abilities inside out. I didn't want to start a new topic as my post here is pretty much about the same that Paul3000 is asking which is tips for leveling your warrior. Thanks all

15+ Year Old Account

imo it's not worth it going protection that early unless you have a dedicated healer and at least one dps'er who will always be playing with you.

it's just silly to gimp yourself for the 90% solo time in order to be 10% better the 10% of the time you're actually able to find a low level pug.

deflection, imp tclap, and cruelty are low level arms/fury talents that are pretty much required in any level 70 tanking build, so you really lose nothing by taking them.

Its not a good idea to spec prot at lower levels at all as you will need at least some dps when u are questing/grinding mobs, and if you plan to lvl up primarily from dungeons its gnna take you forever anyway.

Tenlos - Formerly Xiper

Deleted

The spec thing depends on gear: If you got 2 awesome 1h weapons, Fury is better, 1 awesome 2h weapon makes Arms spec better for leveling.

I'd say arms is better for leveling anyways, as it improves your damage per hit greatly, and the best 2h weaps ain't all that much slower, like the whirlwind weapon....

Also, stick to the quests that is just mass slaughter, they give more XP

EDIT: Oh, you did mean Gear help?

Whirlwind weapon untill about lvl 40, then go for Witchfury (for faster lvling) if you get that at lvl 39-42, if not, get the Truesilver Champion, crafted by Blacksmiths...

Let that last untill lvl 50, then go get the Ice Barbed spear, reward off AV...

The spear should last untill about the time when you get into Outlands, which makes any weapon guide after there very useless, it's pretty obvious out there which is better, go for the Ring of Blood Q in nagrand as soon as you can, though!.

Sword of Omen is obtainable at lvl 33 if you get a boost through SM. Vanquisher at 37. If you want to spend, get crusader on both and you'll be quite good, specially when grabbing BT at 40. Crusader or not, they'll really shine at that lvl. I use them still at 43 and i'll probably use them to 51 when I plan to get Ice barbed spear. (At 45 you can pick up the quest for Trash Blade, which could be worth taking to replace Sword of Omen)

I've got a really easy time lvl'ing atm due to semi-overpowered gear.(starting to get slightly outdated tho..)
    http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sh...ilash&n=Rubnub

I recommend a mix of low tier talents from both arms and fury pre-40 (imp.HS, imp.charge, cruelty, unb.wrath, imp.OP etc). I grabbed Wingblade and Stinging viper from WC (2x Cruel barb prob better for alliance) and used those until I got Sword of omen and Vanquisher. I threw fiery weapon on Wingblade + S.viper, cheap enchants that adds -lots- of dmg, really recommended having on your weaps at early lvl's.

I plan on trying this spec at level 51 (when I get Ice barbed spear): http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=LGMcdAioz0dio
    Haven't really looked that deep in it, but hopefully MS beeing better then BT in terms of dmg and CD(with talent) and also Endless rage, should make up for loss of flurry and UW. Cruelty will ofcourse be maxed out over the next 5 levels, last stand is very nice healing aswell every time you're fighting mobs that stuns or immobalizes.

Just a few thoughts.. generally you'll want to choose Fury over Arms for lvl'ing, unless you have a very good 2H avail.

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by inxomniak
    Hello all I've also just begun to start an alt warrior and honestly I don't know much about the class which is why I would like to ask here but before I do, "I am" looking around for warrior guides and talent builds etc. anything that will help me get familiar with the warrior class and abilities.

As mentioned I just started the warrior and i'm at level 9 and my plan is to tank my way up and what I mean by tanking is exactly that, hitting Dead Mines around 19-20, wailing caverns, shadowfang keep and just keep going into the appropriate dungeons my level as I progress so I was thinking of going down the protection tree but am not sure of the stats I need in gear/weapons. Is this a good plan/choice of going protection so early? I know it will affect my questing since I won't be doing much damage but if i'm geared right and a few levels higher for the quests i'm doing, i should be okay right? Since I plan to tank these lower level dungeons as much as I can my xp will come from that.

My main goal is to be a dependable tank for any 5 man quest and/or dungeons including these lower level ones so I want to start early learning how to aggro more than 1 and being able to maintain that aggro so that once I hit BC dungeons/heroics/raids I got my strategy down and know the warrior abilities inside out. I didn't want to start a new topic as my post here is pretty much about the same that Paul3000 is asking which is tips for leveling your warrior. Thanks all
    Levelling as Protection is hard. The old world instances do not have that great attendance. If that doesn't deter you, I wish you good luck. As Protection, you will be a lot better at tanking than other warriors at your level.

A good instance-run requires a good healer. If you have a good tank and a good healer, most instances can be gotten through even with bad pick-up groups. Therefore my first suggestion to you is to find a healer to level with. A healer will share your problems and will be just as happy to tag along with you. You'll complement one another very well.

As for gear/talent choices...
    Unlike Arms, your weapon isn't all-important. What's important is the stats it gives and to some smaller degree, the DPS it provides (as that's part of your TPS, or threat-per-second). What is important is upping your Stamina to give you a good health buffer. You will also want Strength to keep up your TPS, as well as your Rage generation (which will be very slow at first). Your mitigation is also important. Therefore, green Mail items "of the Bear" is perfectly suited to the est-while tank. Agility is also nice. It provides Dodge, gives you a bit more armor, as well as crit chance, but it is not as good as the other two.

You might also want to start stacking Defense, but do not do so at the cost of stamina. It is simply not worth it (yet).

Your talent choices do not matter much at lower levels. The difference is almost negligible. This means that you won't tank much better than an Arms warrior at level 20, but he won't deal that much more damage than you anyway (assuming you have equal gear). Gear is much, much more important than talent points around this level, as good gear provides a much better boost to your abilities. The one concession to DPS you might want to make is to take the talent Cruelty, as it will also boost your TPS. (Personally I would not advise it; it will make it harder to reach Shield Slam, which is the core Protection talent.)

The important tanking talents are as follows:

-Deflection (Arms tree)
    -Shield Specialization
    -Toughness
    -Last Stand
    -Improved Shield Block
    -Improved Thunderclap (Arms tree)
    -Defiance
    -Improved Sunder Armor (at lower levels only; Focused Rage replaces this at higher levels)
    -Concussion Blow (for Shield Slam only)
    -Shield Slam
    -Focused Rage
    -Vitality

All other talents are considered optional. I would recommend the following:

-Anticipation
    -Shield Mastery
    -One-Handed Weapon Specialization
    -Improved Defensive Stance
    -Devastate

Depending on your tanking style, you might also want some of the following:

-Improved Bloodrage
    -Tactical Mastery
    -Improved Revenge
    -Improved Taunt
    -Improved Shield Wall

An example talent build is my own: 8/0/53

This spec is heavy on Protection. You can easily remove a few points for Cruelty if that's what you want... as long as you do not remove the important talents I listed above.

A few tips on tanking...

Shield Slam and Revenge are your top tanking abilities. As soon as you can use either of these, do so. Using Sunder Armor is the fastest method of building reliable threat, as it does not require as much Rage as Shield Slam, does not have a cooldown, and does not have a requirement like Revenge, and your teammates will easily see how far you are in your threat cycle by looking at how high you've stacked it.

At higher levels, being crushed is a well-known danger. Warriors have the best method in the game to avoid this: Shield Block. To understand what Shield Block does, it's necessary to know something about the game mechanics behind WoW.
    All attacks are made on a one-roll precedence combat table. This means that whenever you are attacked, the game computes a single die roll between 0% and 100%. Depending on your statistics, this can be either of the following:
    Miss
    Dodge
    Parry
    Block
    Critical hit
    Crushing blow
    Hit

This is also the order of precedence. If, for instance, your chance to Block suddenly increases, it will start to push everything below it off of the table -- such as the chance to receive a crushing blow. Miss, Dodge, Parry and Block are all tanking statistics, as they help you accomplish this goal. Miss, Dodge and Parry are what is known as Avoidance: When this occurs, you completely avoid the attack. Block is Mitigation (as is your Armor): You take less damage than you normally would.

Feel free to ask me for clarification on any of this.

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by Rubnub
    Just a few thoughts.. generally you'll want to choose Fury over Arms for lvl'ing, unless you have a very good 2H avail.
    Eh, you're taking that the wrong way around. Spec Arms unless you've got good 1-handers. Grabbing a decent 2-hander every few levels is very easy, and of course there is the Whirlwind Axe at level 30 (if you can get help for it).

Fury is much more gear dependant than Arms.

leveling a warrior is boring. you have to get used to it.

So I've got my Warrior to 30, will be getting the Whirlwind weapon, then Bonebiter, then I have the Executioner's Cleaver waiting at 43, then Ice Barbed Spear. So I'm going to respec arms to help level now (was doing fury).

What are the best weapon enchants for the Whirlwind weapon and the Executioner's Cleaver? Crusader or Fiery?

Crusader is the best pre BC weapon enchant for a warrior IMO. Change to proc and give healing and +100 Strength is awesome... Only problem is that you are then using 100g (approx) for a weapon that you will use for 10 max lvls... IMO not worth it... Firey is 25g and looking for an enchanter to do it wont be hard... Unless you are like our server...

"BOB has enchants... All Pre BC enchants and 24/26 BC enchants."

If you are on my server you will know which one it is

I have plenty of mats for either Fiery or Crusader and plenty of people who will enchant either for free (RL Friends). I'm glad that my friends and I did plenty of Strat runs pre-bc, so we picked up tons of Righteous Orbs.

Quote Originally Posted by paul3000
    I have plenty of mats for either Fiery or Crusader and plenty of people who will enchant either for free (RL Friends). I'm glad that my friends and I did plenty of Strat runs pre-bc, so we picked up tons of Righteous Orbs.
    Oh yea, that's usefull, especially since Orbs are so hard to come by now... oh way... anyone can solo most of Strath Live(some classes can solo all of it)
    I'm usually at the other end of that fireball you just got in your face ;-)