Thread: Outgeared

Outgeared

Is it actually possible to get passed 1750 without full merciless at all in 2v2? Seems like every team I meet there has full merciless or T6 equivalent items.

Secretive

Re: Outgeared

1750? Absolutely.

What's your team composition again?

For fun, I went into an Arena with my Warrior partner a couple days ago in my PvE gear and him in his (granted HIS PvE gear is T5-ish, definitely not T6 though) and we won several games in the 1900s/2000s and this is on battlegroup 9, where the competition is definitely above average.

Gear seems to be the biggest deciding factor on 2 DPS 2v2 teams, or really, on any team that's light on healing, or whose healer is "squishy" (A Priest, for example).

But remember, a lot of people you're facing at 1750 in 5/5 MG and all that are simply leveling teams for selling purposes, and that they'll quickly surpass the mid-1700s and then you'll be free to win again in a fair battle.

My 2v2 team isn't great, but I think we're faily succesful. Lately we go: 8-2, 7-3 some nights. We're ~1600 and have never went on a losing streak....it's really weird. But I have really bad "PvP" gear. My partner has 4/5 Merc. Gear....so IDK. We don't usually play more then ~15 games a week though. And I'm new to Arenaing and we both raid and try to get ~7 hours a sleep a night, lol.
    <Seriously Casual> US Top 40 Recruiting: Druid (Feral DPS), Priest (Disc/Holy) and Warlock
    Hunter / Priest / Shaman / Warrior
    UI v6: http://drop.io/madskhealz

It's definately possible to do, but it can be really hard. If you're constantly meeting geared teams just don't queue up anymore for the rest of the time and try again later on that day or on another day. Yes it can be really frustrating and it's one of the reasons why this whole ELO system (which is based on the rating system used for chess I believe) fails, because in WoW aside from skill and knowledge there are so much more other things involving the outcome of a match.

Quote Originally Posted by Lesane
    It's definately possible to do, but it can be really hard. If you're constantly meeting geared teams just don't queue up anymore for the rest of the time and try again later on that day or on another day. Yes it can be really frustrating and it's one of the reasons why this whole ELO system (which is based on the rating system used for chess I believe) fails, because in WoW aside from skill and knowledge there are so much more other things involving the outcome of a match.
    It is based on chess ratings, yeah. The system failing has nothing to do with skill/knowledge/mage mechanics though. In any gaming system where Elo (no caps pls, it's just the 2nd name of some math dude :P) is used, the rating is attached to the player. The whole idea is that equally rated players play each other. In wow players can reset their ratings whenever they want to, thus generating non-even matchups.
    Being able to reset your rating undermines the Elo system and renders it fairly useless. Same problem with a lot of stuff in wow, too casual friendly.

Got up to 1748 but my high warlord gear just isn't enough there. :< I'll go a bit more 5v5 where I can get 1800-2k with my team just a matter of time.

/sigh, being outgeared is probably the most frustrating thing about arenas for me. I just started a 2v2 team with a warrior friend of mine. He is 2/5 S1 w/deep thunder and I'm a resto druid in PvE gear ><.

Basically we hit a gear wall at 1700, skill can only get you so far against a 5/5 merc Stormherald warrior, 5/5 merc holy paladin combo. QQ. Ahh well it's a good thing I have a 5/5 merc frost mage to carry my 3v3 team to 1850 .

Deleted

IRL friend of mine, 1925 rating 1 merciless item: http://www.frals.net/wow/armory/char...C3%B8r&lang=EN (same with his partner).

They got up to 2050 or so but lost it.

Quote Originally Posted by Stokos
    IRL friend of mine, 1925 rating 1 merciless item: http://www.frals.net/wow/armory/char...C3%B8r&lang=EN (same with his partner).

They got up to 2050 or so but lost it.
    What a surprise, a SL/SL lock :P

Secretive

Yeah, I know I'm surprised.

it's deffinately possible.... teams rarely have full merciless at 1750, i only have 3/5 merciless at 2k
    Zukias (Main) (70 mage - Al'Akir) http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Al%27Akir&n=Zukias

S2 armor itself is barely an upgrade over S1, it's so minute it's not even worth bringing up. A guy having a chestguard with 5 more stamina, 2 more int and 4 more healing probably didn't lose you too many battles.

This is why I am hoping that when S1 hits the honor vendor that it's at a very hefty price.

What I'd like to know is if it's possible to have an 1800+ rating when you and your partner have (at best) 500 ping?

Seriously, for me as a mage, trying to counterspell a flash heal, is close to impossible. I either take a gamble and risk missing the silence on the heal, or I wait it out till I see it, and rely on my reactions to get the CS in at the very end of the heal.

I'm stuck on 1720 and it fluctuates from 1650 to 1750.

Living in Australia sucks. Playing against US players with <100 ping times is no fun

Secretive

I don't know what I would do if I had poor latency, it certainly would be more difficult to charge interrupt a heal since shifting form would take extra time due to lag.

My heart goes out to all of you Oceanic players on Continental servers. I had to do an Arena match at 250 ms and it was a real headache, I can't even imagine the pain it would be at 500. I guess I'm just spoiled at 70 ms. >.<

there's no way you can get past 1.8k in my opinion if your permanent ms is 500+ as a mage
    Zukias (Main) (70 mage - Al'Akir) http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Al%27Akir&n=Zukias

Quote Originally Posted by Secretive
    I don't know what I would do if I had poor latency, it certainly would be more difficult to charge interrupt a heal since shifting form would take extra time due to lag.

My heart goes out to all of you Oceanic players on Continental servers. I had to do an Arena match at 250 ms and it was a real headache, I can't even imagine the pain it would be at 500. I guess I'm just spoiled at 70 ms. >.<
    Are you west coast?
    On east coast I am 180-250ms every night on cable. Ping to google right now is 32ms.

I hit 70 with my shaman a little bit after S2 started, came off with a lock friend of mine 100 resi, while i was at 0 resi and 6 k health 1.4 healing etc. Constantly meeting people with over 250 resi. Those were the days.
    I'm "only" at 206 resi atm and we're doing fine, 2.1 2v2. 2.1 3v3

Quote Originally Posted by MrSimtang
    What I'd like to know is if it's possible to have an 1800+ rating when you and your partner have (at best) 500 ping?

Seriously, for me as a mage, trying to counterspell a flash heal, is close to impossible. I either take a gamble and risk missing the silence on the heal, or I wait it out till I see it, and rely on my reactions to get the CS in at the very end of the heal.

I'm stuck on 1720 and it fluctuates from 1650 to 1750.

Living in Australia sucks. Playing against US players with <100 ping times is no fun
    Quote Originally Posted by Secretive

Quote Originally Posted by frosty
    there's no way you can get past 1.8k in my opinion if your permanent ms is 500+ as a mage
    Sup - this is my armory (for real, log on and ask me if you want): http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...draxis&n=Birga

And this is the ping... of my whole team... all the time: http://bp1.blogger.com/_xSr2CYFAC_I/...0/Untitled.jpg (Go Go Aussie connection!)

So in conclusion - yes, ping is a bitch. But it doesn't make things impossible. I can hardly imagine how well we would be doing with 70 ms ping, but oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by Birga
    Sup - this is my armory (for real, log on and ask me if you want): http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...draxis&n=Birga

And this is the ping... of my whole team... all the time: http://bp1.blogger.com/_xSr2CYFAC_I/...0/Untitled.jpg (Go Go Aussie connection!)

So in conclusion - yes, ping is a bitch. But it doesn't make things impossible. I can hardly imagine how well we would be doing with 70 ms ping, but oh well.

You.......ARE A GOD!

Wow, that's really impressive stuff man! Now you've given me hope!

Granted I play on BG9, but still getting those ratings at that ping....my hat off to you. /cheer