Mage: Spellblade or Battle Staff for PvE

Hello I just managed to get my mage rating up to 1850 this week in order to get the weapon but I am mainly a PvE player on my mage. So I was wondering which one of the 2 below PvP weapons are better for PvE:

Vengeful Gladiator's Spellblade
    Binds when picked up
    Main Hand Dagger
    16 - 116 Damage Speed 1.60
    (41.3 damage per second)
    +30 Stamina
    +20 Intellect
    Durability 75 / 75
    Requires Level 70
    Equip: Improves spell hit rating by 17 (1.3%).
    Equip: Improves your resilience rating by 18 (0.5%).
    Equip: Increases damage and healing done by magical spells and effects by up to 247.

or

Vengeful Gladiator's Battle Staff
    Binds when picked up
    Two-Hand Staff
    135 - 297 Damage Speed 3.00
    (72.2 damage per second)
    +62 Stamina
    +46 Intellect
    Durability 120 / 120
    Requires Level 70
    Equip: Improves spell hit rating by 28 (2.2%).
    Equip: Improves spell critical strike rating by 46 (2.1%).
    Equip: Improves your resilience rating by 29 (0.7%).
    Equip: Increases damage and healing done by magical spells and effects by up to 247.

Thank you

Re: Mage: Spellblade or Battle Staff for PvE

Well for PvE I'd probably always go with the MH/OH combo, but if you plan on doing a lot of both I'd go with the staff.

i would NEVER EVER choose a PvP item for PvE content,...
    PvP =/= PvE
    Leak of stats for PvE
    For some encounters the stamina could be an advantage, but just for a few (najentus deals pretty high dmg to the raid, so its always good to have a lot of stamina - or Council - magetank)

for those i would choose the staff because of the higher stamina bonus

MH/OH combos compared to a staff of equal an equal "level" are generally better for PVE because staffs focus on stats (stam, int, etc.) while one handers and off hands focus on on equip things (spell crit, spell dam, etc.).

So i would do the spell blade and an OH, as it will net you more +dmg, more +crit, little less +hit which, depending on the OH, can be neutralized. That is unless generally you are lacking the stam department (which only really matters at the BT level) then go for the staff.

That is not a bad pve weapon still :P

Quote Originally Posted by Storno
    PvP =/= PvE
    Leak of stats for PvE
    For some encounters the stamina could be an advantage, but just for a few (najentus deals pretty high dmg to the raid, so its always good to have a lot of stamina - or Council - magetank)

Well you have to remember, not all PVE items are itemized the best, i know that the S2 dagger was teh best item until SSC for forever.

Plus a S3 weapon is going to be much better than, say, princes dagger, or a blue item in a heroic. On the BT level, yeah, definantly stick with PVE items, but anything below that, S3 items are a very good upgrade or sidegrade to T4-5 content items.

Quote Originally Posted by Narzania
    Vengeful Gladiator's Battle Staff
    Binds when picked up
    Two-Hand Staff
    135 - 297 Damage Speed 3.00
    (72.2 damage per second)
    +62 Stamina
    +46 Intellect
    Durability 120 / 120
    Requires Level 70
    Equip: Improves spell hit rating by 28 (2.2%).
    Equip: Improves spell critical strike rating by 46 (2.1%).
    Equip: Improves your resilience rating by 29 (0.7%).
    It mainly comes down to what your PVE activities are atm. That staff got me from SSC to BT when I replaced it by Archimonde's sword and Winterchill's OH. If you are raiding tier 1 content, this is a very good staff. But you might have a tough time reaching the hit cap later on.

Deleted

spellblade, far better PvE stats with a nice offhand.

go for MH, it gives same spell dmg as staff but you can also mix it with a pve OH better for pve
    Zukias (Main) (70 mage - Al'Akir) http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Al%27Akir&n=Zukias

Quote Originally Posted by Storno
    PvP =/= PvE
    Leak of stats for PvE

lol look on itemization, if you arent extremly lucky with talon, your choice is ONLY pvp sword... When there is nothing else to get, pvp items can be almost as good as pve for pve encounters...

S2 mace was the best available for shadow priests up to BT...

imo spellblade, gives you a chance to pick up a pve offhand for more spell hit and spell damage. the int/stam/crit you can probably live without.

altho comparing them directly you would need to find an offhand with

32 stam
    26 int
    11 hit
    46 crit

to make up for what you would lose, thats a pretty stat heavy offhand, but like i said you can get more hit and damage for pve purposes.

You're a mage, you need crit, there's no way you're going to get 46 crit on a off-hand...crit classes can sacrifice a bit of damage for crit, and you still get lots of spellhit and damage and stats

My bro is a mage and got this as soon as he could and he is very happy with it, and I'm and afflic lock and I got the MH cause it works better for me...I would say get the staff.

its based on build imo.... and what you are using it for... so here goes...

PVE get the staff.

PVP as frost get the blade and off hand... your getting your crit from shatters.

Fire or arcane PVP get the staff.

At least it seems almost that ez to decide.

Even if you're keeping you're weekend spec for the Illidan fight, I would go for the staff either way; it's going to be more versatile. More stam, ect, for PvP, as well as tanking Council if that's your job. When I'm tanking them, I'm already swapping in PvP gear to keep my HP up, so every bit helps.