Thread: Remove Arena?

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst
... LastLast

Re: Remove Arena?

/agree .... i hate afkers and botters. That is what is killing pvp in wow, not arenas.

People who think Arena is the best pvp in wow shouldn't really be playing WoW or any other MMORPG tbh. Arenas are a lazy attempt at a pvp system.

I don't think arena should be removed. It's the only thing that makes me log in on my mage. Removing it would stop a lot of people playing the game.

I don't see why so many people are complaining how PvP changes are also affecting PvE. It's bound to happen. For so long the game was about PvE, Naxxramas geared players would just steam roll battlegrounds without any strategy or skill. People never complained that PvE changes were affecting the battlegrounds.

Now that we have a competition, and there's an actual point to PvP rather than just going up in titles till you get the rank 14 gear, as flawed as the arena system may be, it has improved the PvP aspect of the game tenfold.

The game isn't just about PvE and raid content any more. It's changing. It's (finally) accommodating to those who enjoy PvP.

And frankly, who gives a **** about what effects abilities have in PvE? Blizzard can just tune boss fights however they want. If they balance the PvP out first, then they can just tune PvE to work with the PvP balance.

Hello, I am a Resto Druid for over 2 years now and the day arena gets shutdown I stop playing. You just need to find fun people to play it with and you can play it all day long. Sometimes when we lose we queue fast again so we meet the same team for more practice!

Since this season I started with arena (4srs), before this season I was a wellfare 1100-1300 player, and now I got all my teams above 1800.

My guild is currently in TK and we cleared SSC in less then 1 month. And IMO PVP owns PVE.

(Oh and by the way:'' you are a druid no wonder you like it'', how come I play 5v5 also then :P)

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by Grizz
    Its essentially impossible for someone to get into serious arena now, if they haven't arenaed during either of the first 2 seasons. Yes you can get full s1 with enough honor grinding, but s3 items for alot of classes just blow s1 out of the water, and the people wearing s1 are still at a gear disadvantage. And to be frank grinding out that much honor is just a royal pain in the ass. While 2.4 will solve some of this with the rep rewarded resil items, the gap between the rep gear and s3 will be more substantial than s1 and s3.
    Sorry, but now you're full of shit. I dinged 70 on my hunter during s3, farmed s1 gear + vindi, and I am now sitting at 2100 ratings in 3v3 and 5v5. Only reason anyone will have troubles getting into serious arena is lack of skill.

Quote Originally Posted by Janz
    Sorry, but now you're full of shit. I dinged 70 on my hunter during s3, farmed s1 gear + vindi, and I am now sitting at 2100 ratings in 3v3 and 5v5. Only reason anyone will have troubles getting into serious arena is lack of skill.
    I have to agree with that , S1 and S3 offsets are good enough to play Arena.Of course being full S3 helps , but you don't need it to start and play seriously as long as you try to focus about getting your skills better.The "I'm no S3 so I just can't win" point is definitly wrong.

Arena still has its flaws , but it's the only thing that make me connect to the game atm.It's quick , fun , asks concentration and awareness that (I think) can only be gained by playing a lot (and just not playing 10 retarded games to get points).Sometimes match-ups can be frustrating , especially on 2vs2 and 3vs3 (Playing Priest/Warlock and Mage for 3vs3 we sigh when when see Warrior/Druid or Priest/Warlock/Hunter) but if you're (or have) play(ed) Magic the Gathering , you enjoy Metagame theory topics (how to beat popular teams , which setups are created just to counter the most popular build and stuff).
    About the rewards , well I'm a Priest and I can tell you that coming in a raid with my PvP gear isn't really a good idea ! Now yeah for DPS classes it's not the same case but still , any healer or Tank Warrior that PvE with Arena Gear just fail.And if you think about it , it takes a while to get a piece of gear , only good teams can purchase items quickly.Or points suckers , but that's another story.

I'm not saying "Remove Arena", but Arena have seriously fucked up PvE.

Weapons are too good for PvE. Rogue's need the arena weapons if they don't have th warglaives, and I can only think of s4 when the weapons will be even better.

Trying to balance the game around arena. In patch 2.4, Druids' lifebloom will be nerfed for PvE and stay the same for PvP, after trying to balance 2v2
    Don't remove arena, but don't make it fuck up PvE

Quote Originally Posted by Windywoo
    People who think Arena is the best pvp in wow shouldn't really be playing WoW or any other MMORPG tbh. Arenas are a lazy attempt at a pvp system.

Exactly. Most of wow players didn't play any mmorpg before but games like CS or UT. They can't understand how arenas are ruining all mmoRPG concept.

WoW pvp should be based on world pvp.

It doesn't necesarily need removing, just the gear toning down alot.

There is no way in hell that gear equal to T6 should be obtainable through a few arena games a week, they are purely welfare epics for those unable to raid.

I'm not saying that casuals should get nothing for the time they spend playing, but they definately should not be able to obtain the same quality gear that a hardcore player can get through raiding.

Arena is more about setup than skill, which is also an annoyance. The fact is skill does not really come into it until you're into the 2000+ rating, so that argument (which so many pvp casuals use) is pretty much obselete. Raiding may not take skill either, but it takes alot of dedication, and a hell of alot of time.

Quote Originally Posted by Straz
    It doesn't necesarily need removing, just the gear toning down alot.

There is no way in hell that gear equal to T6 should be obtainable through a few arena games a week, they are purely welfare epics for those unable to raid.

the problem about the arena is that, to have fun you and your friends you want to play with have to have the "right" classes.

like me and my friends, we always enjoyed playing together having fun with our different classes in BGs etc. but with the classes we play we cant make a really competitive team for the arena.

and that is what sucks the most about arena nowadays. its pretty much limited to a few classes, while the other classes need super skill to be competitive.

and i want to play with my friends and have fun like we used to have in BGs without rerolling classes that are OP at the moment in the arena. (and nerfed to death until we reach 70)

also you might say we just have to practice with our setup, but hard to practive when getting gibbed by gladiator s3 pushing teams at 1500 rating ... thats no fun at all

as i am by far no hardcore pvp expert, i have no problem with playing at a lower rating. i want to play at a rating where i belong to with my skills, and at that rating have fun games versus other teams at the same rating/skill. but then again you run into pushing s3 team losing 21 pts in 30sec. game because they just started pushing ...

i'd love to have fun in the arena nowadays but aforementioned reasons make it hard to enjoy it. also druids make it hard to enjoy. i think they are a bit too much.

Personally i think WoW has taken a turn for the worse ever since Burning Crusade. Not because of the "welfare" epics (which i disagree with that term too), but b/c of the complete destruction of WPvP.

Arenas, while fun, do not fit into the overall game schematic.

BGs have become nothing but Pre-made vs PUG slaughters.

and instance raiding has and will always be BORING.

This is just my personal opinion but i know that there are a lot of people feel the same as i do. After mastering an instance it just gets boring.

I would like to see, pvp servers where you are flagged now matter where you are. And when you die, i get your gold :P.

I honestly do not get what people are thinking...I mean, if you don't like arenas its a pretty simple concept. I mean, I don't like playing baseball so I don't play, and I don't QQ about how baseball should be removed from the Earth.

Quote Originally Posted by Pauridius
    I honestly do not get what people are thinking...I mean, if you don't like arenas its a pretty simple concept. I mean, I don't like playing baseball so I don't play, and I don't QQ about how baseball should be removed from the Earth.
    lol...

You seriously think it's the same thing? Does other people playing baseball make your possesions worthless?

No, i didn't think so.

Quote Originally Posted by Pauridius
    If you don't play arenas you get pwned in battlegrounds or while you do your daily quests by some prick who thinks 5 man groups are pvp.

Quote Originally Posted by Straz
    lol...

You seriously think it's the same thing? Does other people playing baseball make your possesions worthless?

No, i didn't think so.
    Doesn't it infect nature that you build baseball arenas, make food to serve there, all that air breathing? Imo it should be banned on Earth. Global warming incoming also so maybe lets not play baseball anymore, it makes my "possessions" worthless (you know I like to ski alot).

Yes, I thought so.

Quote Originally Posted by Nikzu
    Doesn't it infect nature that you build baseball arenas, make food to serve there, all that air breathing? Imo it should be banned on Earth. Global warming incoming also so maybe lets not play baseball anymore, it makes my "possessions" worthless (you know I like to ski alot).

Yes, I thought so.
    I'd prefer a baseball arena to be built on the land available rather than some form of factory that would 'infect nature' in a much more sever way.

Yes you do have a point, but this whole real life situation should never have been mentioned anyway, as WoW is a game.

Arena should have it's importance lessened, PvP growth has been stunted and I do not want my favorite portion of the game to forever be focused around small, boxed in, unbalanced duels. I say this as a Gladiator on my Paladin. I would like to see rated BGs, more maps for BGs, other forms of innovation

BC is better than vanilla WoW, though, simply because there's so very much to do and see whereas if it wasn't raid time; you were sitting on your ass in vanilla. "Is it time for Naxx yet""Not yet" "Ok see you later" was my average WoW day for the last 6 months or so before BC.

But I will say if arena is the be all end all in WOTLK again, I'll be on my way out. I've no interest in playing another 12-18 months of musical chair class balance dueling, because that's all it is.

what i dont understand is what would be bad when pvp dressed players would join your pve guild with the t5 equivalent gear ( which has disadvantages in pve)?
    as i see you recruited them to progress and have a lower geargap. overall something you prefer rather than get some guy who comes with his pve blue lvl 70 gear.

also the gear jealousy is pretty poor overall. at low ratings you accumulate very little points to aquire new items. sure at the end of lets say 2 months sucking in arena in 2vs2 with an effective gain of around 190 points ( must be something like 14xx rating) it takes you around 8 weeks to buy the helm( 1 item)... just thinking about the tons of alts that get dressed up in karazhan runs with epics within less than 4 hours time plus badge rewards.

also what i hardly can follow is if a pve player suggests the pvp gear/ arena gear is only usable in arena.i mean is the pve gear then only used in instances or if you are smart say pve gear for grinding but as soon as an opponent player targets you you are naked?

further resilience messed up wow pvp? i have played since wow beta and with my pve gear it was hilarious how short those fights in battlrgrounds were. 1-2 shots on everything that moved. it reminded me of counterstrike which i hate.
    ofc pvp is similar to ego shooters but this type is about progressing your character

"Collect" and kill your opponents with skill "Hunt". 2 things that mmos are about. collecting gear to satisfy the rush and use it to show off a little. human nture really.

worldpvp is dead. its true but its probably coming back and i dont want to miss a true place of competition like arenas are. zergfests that are named worldpvp have no element of fairness. similar to battlgrounds. ( the one who is furthest away from the mass gets nuked from the opponent bunch - pitty those classes that are not ranged) nevertheless fun.

ballancing around pvp - have to say its the way to go. pve encounters are scripted. can be tuned according to the abilities of classes but in pvp you want to have a chance so the ballance there is neccesary really.

ofc alot speccs and classes are not performing good but the complains in forums just stop the progress to fix them with people crying abotu removing arenas at all.

tbh after having raided 2 years pve encounters are not thrilling at all. nothing more fun than facing human beeings that make flaws and each fight is slightly different.

the lore of mmos not including arenas or similar arguments - i just laugh. buy a book. this is a game that develops .
    when pvp destroys pve its for a reason. why are there no tanks on alot servers? because people want to have fun and it seems the fun for most tank able classes is with pvp. time to think about how to make pve more attractive in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by chaud

Unless you were trying to prove his point I think you failed miserably...