Thread: Remove Arena?

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ...

Re: Remove Arena?

Arena, weather ppl admit it or not has changed WoW, some think for the better others for the worse. It just all depends on your play style. My opinion, I think arena's should be on a different type of server. That way there will be less QQ bashing both ways. "But what about the PvP'rs who like to PvE and vice versa?" Still have it available to do on both sides but then arena/PvP'rs will be put up against other great PvP'rs and make it more of a challenge. Then not allow arena gear on PvE realms but make PvE gear better. Because as it stands, you can get S3 gear which is easily equiv to end of BT minus warglaives, and can get you through SWP until you get gear from there. Theres only one or two classes that this doesn't apply to, Tanks most noticeably. One thing I would like to point out though is with PvP/arenas is if your an average to decent player, you are almost guaranteed gear as long as your patient and wait for your points. With PvE, its not that way. For tier pieces and items you have 1 shot a weak for the most part for it to drop, and if you've raided even just Kara you know there are items that love to not drop for you until you bring in an alt 4 months later and see it get sharded>.< With PvP, get 1850, and now 2050 2's for weaps and wait a month or two with a decent 3s or 5s you'll be geared out, then what? I feel bad for the top end PvP'rs when they are geared, what is there more to look forward to? Sure you have similar probs with raiding when you get KJ on farm but seriously, what percentage of guilds in BT/Hyjal/SWP atm will have KJ on farm by WotLK? Not very many.
    I love the Power Glove.

But why do you aim to get the rated weps? To kill better, so thats what you carry on doing
    Theres never an end to the enjoyment of PvP, if you like doing it, no matter if you get all that you can, you will carry on doing it

If it weren't for Arena 99% of the "hardcore" WoW players would have quit playing by now, simply for a lack of new and challenging achievements and experiences (I'm talking about the full T6 Gladiator). People that complain about Arenas are most likely the exact same people that would be complaining if Blizzard hadn't implemented a new PvP system.

Oh and... can we stop having the same god damn discussions about this pls!

Arena idea is good, but the problem is that u need to have arena gear to have any chances there, so hardcore raiders are feeling cheated by blizz, pretbc hardcores with full bwl/aq/naxx gear were gods on every pvp, and now we are trash to 1 shot without resilence and stamina ;/
    Also arena is ruined by op setups, and so on.
    i say removing arena is shit, but balancing pve/pvp gear could work pretty fine, blizzard should make some right click transform items for raiders tbh. You should have like pve dps gear and rightclicking on it should change it to resilence gear :P.

IMO -

Arena has caused more harm than good. In fact, it could be argued that Blizzard really has no idea how to implement PvP but that's another argument for another day.

Here are a few points to illustrate that Arena should be altered or removed entirely.

1.) "Welfare Epics" - I have no problems with "casual" players getting good gear. However, the ease in which it took to get good gear (for melee classes, there was a slight drop in terms of gear quality from pve gear to arena gear). It reduced the feel of achievement of getting epic gear from PvE. Again, im not going into the hardcore vs the casual argument, but honestly we can all agree without taking sides that it is easier to get epics than it used to be. Again, nothing wrong with casuals getting epics, it just made it "too easy" to get gear that was on par with what you would get from a full raid.

2.) Arena is a two player to 5 player event. No need for guilds or large groups of people. It reduced the Online experience. You are in an MMO after all, and part of that is the feeling of working together in large groups to achieve a goal.

3.) Arena is also unbalanced. Blizz has stated that 1v1 is never meant to balance. Which is true, it's meant as a check and balance between the classes. With that said, there are too few classes that become OP when teamed up together. Season 1 was the pally and warrior combo, now it seems to be a druid and whatever else.. Of course, that diminishes when you go into 3v3 and 5v5 but you still receive the same gear either way.

4.) There's way too much room for abuse in arena. From point selling, team selling, hiring individuals to raise your team rating, etc etc etc. That's not even going into the tricks of the trade within the arena itself. I'm not stating that everyone that has a 2k rating has cheated and didn't earn their way there, but we've all seen examples of people taking advantage of the system.

5.) As each new season comes out, it makes certain professions useless. The most notable ones are blacksmithing, maybe leatherworking. Why craft your gear or weapon when you'll get something better for a few weeks worth of play.

6.) Playing just 10 games a week, takes how long? Unless you're playing 2v2 where the que times are a pain on some servers, for most, it takes an hour or two to zip through 10 games. Get your points, some ratings and you're done for the week. For players that don't raid, there's nothing else to do aside from dailies and a few bgs. With arena, now they've gotten kick ass gear, with little improvements available in raids in term of gear unless you go end game. So now there's zero motivation to even attempt a raid or join a guild that does raid.

Most folks will go "but it's all about seeing end game content" while that is true to a small degree, it's really about the loot. There's a difference between a loot whore and someone that looks at it as time invested to what the reward is. If Lich King came out and Blizz said, okay, all the loot is the same, but it looks different but we got all these cool dungeons and raids you can do, just how quickly do you think WoW would fold over and die? Right now, arena is unbalanced in terms of what is required to what the payout is.

I will agree that the changes that have happened in season 4 in which ratings are required and the way points are calculated will help, it still does not change the basis of my argument which is that this is an MMO, it should be done with as many people as possible and that arena really has no place in this game at it's current stage.

While I just posted a lengthly reason as to why to remove arena, i will post a quick suggestion in which to "fix" arena.

All arena gear and pvp gear should only be available to use in BGs and Arena.

That would encourage folks that do both pve and pvp to raid more or be more active in the pve world while those that only PvP would get their gear but be only limited to use that gear for PvP instances.

There are other suggestions that I have but no need to type up a second essay

I wish blizz would remove arena so all the competitive players would actually go to games that cater to them and the endless raider qq would stop on WoW about arena and PvP and start on the monthly fees tripling to make up for the mass exodus. At the same time why not make every player raid to stay eligible for their subscription and complete a 100 man raid quest in 2hrs for an RNG drop to be eligible to even "wear" teir gear. While we are at lets cut the number of epics down a 10th their number and turn the rest of the "welfare epics" into green items that depreciate over time! Since raiding is the end all be all of player comprehension why not make it ridiculous hard so the hard core separate themselves from the desperate and mediocre masses........srsly this is where this qq waterfall ends, in the land of unplayable non profitability.

I will agree that the changes that have happened in season 4 in which ratings are required and the way points are calculated will help, it still does not change the basis of my argument which is that this is an MMO, it should be done with as many people as possible and that arena really has no place in this game at it's current stage.
    That should of happened Season two.

But TBH, they need to do something about resilience. Let alone its more beneficial for some other classes. Its also prevents PvPers to merge with PvEers since they put so many defensive PvP stats over offensive PvP stats on the gear. I used to enjoy seeing HWLs/GMs making t2/t3 raids because the gear was at least raid worthy. Its fair more enjoyable to see no clash between PvPers and PvEers. Most S3/S4 players wouldn't be welcome in t6/swp raids because the gear doesn't cut it (unless they just use a few items).

But seriously, with all these people crying about t3 players tearing BGs a part back in the day, did you even put in the thought of how much flippin' time they put in to getting that gear ?? A HWL/GM could still cause as much damage anyway, if not more.

Resilience has been separating this game since its introduction, and I honestly think its the most poorly designed stat in the game. PvP gear should go back the way it had high Stamina has your defensive PvP stat. I used to perfer to PvP has a battle of quick wits, instead i've got resiliencelol. Resilience reflects nothing of skill, its the great unbalancer.
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Nagrand&n=Aurin

The most fun I had in arena was on the tournament realms, I wish they were more permanent. lelving the set of gear as someone said on page 4, I didn't have to play gear catchup, so I just fought all from start at same level and it made a massive differnece to the games, everything was horrifically imbalanced, you'd beat a combo one match and loose to a more skilled of same thing the next. I liked the absence of the boosters, at the lower rating also, that just down right wrecks the system, ppl restarting teams to boost alts/mates etc... anyways.

tbh a nice easy addition would be have those tournament realms available permanent, for ppl to take a step away from the pve side, no bitching on constant respec, fight ppl based on skill not gear imbalance. link the rewards to your chars on your main realm. If u get glad title, it appears on 1 char of ur choice no matter that chars status, so people recognise ur achievements etc.

I a PvE fanatic. I raid too much and if I had to choose between the two, PvE is what'd I pick.

However, I love arena. It may be flawed - But when I actually get in the arena to play games, it is a lot of fun.

To me personally (And defiantly not like this to many others), the Arena in WoW is like the dessert after a meal.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Jetro
    Most.Original.Response.Ever!
    QFT ;D

Ontopic:
    The idea of arena is great, the bad part is just ''2v2''. 2v2 can NEVER be balanced in anyway, remove 2v2, add 4v4 seems like a better idea? Something could also be done about the drinking still, like a max on waters you can use in 1 game (3-5 seems fine). Then if you don't use it at a good time, you're screwed and the games will end faster. Or adding whirlwinds/snowstorms seems like a good idea too...