Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast

Re: S3 Gear requirements in season 4

also quote from Drysc:

Season 3 prices and Season 4 rating requirements are not yet announced. All information contained herein is of course, as always, subject to change.
    nvm, allready stated
    ...................../´¯/)
    ....................,/¯../
    ............./´¯/'...'/´¯¯`·¸
    ........../'/.../..../......./¨¯\
    ........('(...´...´.... ¯~/'...')

Warrior were nerfed EVERY single patch from 1.3 to 2.1 or so. Stop crying for nerfs, especially druids who whine about kiting are so funny /wave Wildhorn

We had more nerfs then your classes will ever see

Quote Originally Posted by aRtFuL
    You'll still need to win at least 60% of the game to maintain a rating of 1600 nowadays, and you really can't maintain that rating if you have anything less than S2 and/or most ideal team setup. So really you are not that good and they are not as bad as you think.
    Bollocks, you can get to 1850 no problem in full season 1, especially as the current-season equivalent (boots / belt / bracers) etc, make up for a large part of your gear.

Quote Originally Posted by highwind
    I hope thats irony mate

"see it form far distance"... WHO F*CKIN CARES what u SEE !

And as sidenotes:

- My warriors old S2 shoulders were much more recognizable form far away than my current S3 shoulders are. So following urs and Blizzards "logic" I got my 2000 PR shoulders to be recognized LESS than with the older one that didnt have any PR at all ?

- U know any PvE loot where the boss is extremly hard because the item(s) he drops LOOKS good ? Tier gloves drops from the easier bosses, shoulders from the medicore and helm/chest/pants from the harder bosses... u know why ? cause hands give the least increase, shoulders a medicore and helm/chest/pants the most. logic can be so easy.
    actually it's not irony but the reason blizzard itself gave for the rating needed for the shoulders. It is the most visible armor part and thus only elite should have it. It was in a blue post when s3 was about to start.

Quote Originally Posted by Skulver
    Arena has two failings.

1. Only the most skilled players get the best gear with the ridiculous effect of putting a handicap on the underdog.
    2. The least skilled players can still get many incredibly good items making a total joke of much of the PvE progression.

The problem is that if they make the gear easier to get it exacerbates problem two, if they make it harder to get it exacerbates problem one.

To make everyone happy they need to give out less gear and reduce the poor player handicap. The only way to do this is to normalize the gear inside the arena. The simple way is to just make a standard set of gear for each class that you get when you go to arena. For slightly more effort they can either make an arena waiting room where you can get whatever enchanted top tier arena gear you want but it cannot be worn outside the waiting area or the arena.

If you want to go further and still encourage BG participation you can easily just upgrade any previous season gear to the top season gear inside the arena.

This solves every problem.

First, it means that arena will tend to be much more skill based since the gear difference will be totally eliminated.
    Second, it means they can make the reward for arena victory be the ability to wear that gear outside the arenas. This allows them to make the gear much harder to get. Being able to make the gear harder to get also appeases the PvE guilds since they won't all be outgeared by people who just lose some arenas once a week.

Just as an addendum here is my pet theory why they haven't done such a thing, since it is pretty obvious that that is the solution and they must be aware of it. My theory is that Blizzard are well aware that gear plays a much bigger part in victory than many of the PvPers like to admit. The system as it stands means that those who spend most time doing PvP will tend to have the most success in PvP. This makes the PvPers happy since those who are hardcore into their PvP will tend to do very well at it. If they normalize the gear inside the arenas a lot of those who live and breathe for arena are going to suddenly find themselves losing a lot more to the very scrub teams their gear used to allow them to steamroller. In effect, the artificial gear handicap serves to make PvP more rewarding for those who are most interested in PvP and Blizzard seem to be loath to upset this situation.
    That argument sounds pretty enticing, but you do that and the game will cease to be a Massively Multiplayer Online ROLE PLAYING GAME. This type of game is about character progression, i.e. about putting work in, progressing by attaining more gear. If you want instanced gear in addition to instanced pvp scenarios, go and play a fps. This is pretty much the fundamental problem with what Blizzard is trying to do with pvp: It is wholly inconsistent with the type of game they've made. You take away the sense of achievement felt from actually earning gear (and sure the pro-pvers would argue that pvp gear isn't earnt at all), and you won't really have much of a motivation to keep playing.

I'm solely a pvper nowadays (due to real life commitments I can't afford to commit so much time to a computer game - i.e. a pve guild), but I guarantee that if gear became instanced the game would be straight boring. I guess thats the extreme end of the commitment (pve) -------> casual spectrum.

But anyway, the below blog makes a similar argument:

http://www.gameriot.com/blogs/The-Ooglar/

I posted this on Wowinsider

Well look at it this way. On my lock I have over 1200 shadow damage in my PVE gear. I have a couple S1 and a couple S3 items and I am happy if I can just maintain a rating of 1500 and maybe hit 1600. Yes I suck. There is only one item I need from arenas for my lock and that is the weapon. So this just means I will stop playing arenas with my lock, because I suck and I can't get a good rating to even get the old S3 weapon

My paladin is prot, I heal in arenas, and I am not willing to spend the money every week to change spec constantly. My team gets around 1450 rating. I only want the shield. Why should I build up a gladiator healing set so that I can get my tanking shield? So I will just stop playing arenas with my paladin.

Now think about it. There are probably 1000 2v2 teams in my battlegroup with prot paladins or prot warriors that just do it for the shield. How many 2v2 teams have casters geared like my lock? Maybe another 1000 2v2 teams? So easily 2000 less 2v2 teams might play now in my battelgroup. So there will be less of us that suck for the good teams to win against. It is now just going to make it so much more difficult for the teams to get a good rating, because the people that suck don't play anymore

Quote Originally Posted by druidiful
    From the way that it was posted, it almost seems as if the ratings will be higher for s4.
    This is an interesting change. I think we'll see 2000 req for s4 weapons and 2150 rating for the shoulders, or along those lines. It seems that they want to make Crown Jewels only to give them to the absolute best. And this is the first hint that something in this game will still be really hard to get.

EDIT: Okay so im not the first to come up with that idea.

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by lockadin
    I posted this on Wowinsider

Well look at it this way. On my lock I have over 1200 shadow damage in my PVE gear. I have a couple S1 and a couple S3 items and I am happy if I can just maintain a rating of 1500 and maybe hit 1600. Yes I suck. There is only one item I need from arenas for my lock and that is the weapon. So this just means I will stop playing arenas with my lock, because I suck and I can't get a good rating to even get the old S3 weapon

My paladin is prot, I heal in arenas, and I am not willing to spend the money every week to change spec constantly. My team gets around 1450 rating. I only want the shield. Why should I build up a gladiator healing set so that I can get my tanking shield? So I will just stop playing arenas with my paladin.

Now think about it. There are probably 1000 2v2 teams in my battlegroup with prot paladins or prot warriors that just do it for the shield. How many 2v2 teams have casters geared like my lock? Maybe another 1000 2v2 teams? So easily 2000 less 2v2 teams might play now in my battelgroup. So there will be less of us that suck for the good teams to win against. It is now just going to make it so much more difficult for the teams to get a good rating, because the people that suck don't play anymore

Couldnt agree less with you. PVE players should never be able to get good gear from PVP by just loling in arena, never ever. That is just lol that you can get a shield for example with 5900 armor by just doing some weekly matches, a shield that is equal in terms of armor and sta as Hyjal shield that requires 25 man geared up and that have raided for months. IMO weapons should be at 2200+ and shouders 2300+ or something. Like in the old days were only a handful of people had the R14 weapons. It was really disgusting to see a green lev 60 player walking around with the R14 sword when the new honor system first was released.

Btw im a pve player.

Like I said that was the reason I and alot of other people do arenas. It was another way to get gear. This will mean less people will play arenas. Queue times will get longer and the people that thought they where good now will also get alot lower ratings, because only PVP'ers will do arenas. There is no incentive for a PVE'er to do it anymore

Quote Originally Posted by Nowad
    2150 (like some people said) is too high, in some battlegroups its hardly impossible and not everyone would like to play / can play in a FOTM... to find good 5v5's (or even arena m8's) on some realms is also really hard...

and 1800 / 1950 is also too high, nobody will ever buy S3 shit if they need such a rating
    Did it ever occur to you that not everyone should get the same rewards for just "waiting out the seasons" ? I love this change personally. More rating requirements on gear would actually make it GREAT to hit 1700 for that chestpiece or whatever. It would be more like killing a new raidboss than collecting badges.

Quote Originally Posted by mmaker
    Couldnt agree less with you. PVE players should never be able to get good gear from PVP by just loling in arena, never ever. That is just lol that you can get a shield for example with 5900 armor by just doing some weekly matches, a shield that is equal in terms of armor and sta as Hyjal shield that requires 25 man geared up and that have raided for months. IMO weapons should be at 2200+ and shouders 2300+ or something. Like in the old days were only a handful of people had the R14 weapons. It was really disgusting to see a green lev 60 player walking around with the R14 sword when the new honor system first was released.

Btw im a pve player.
    Yep, reminded me of finally getting rank 11 for the mount and rank 12 for parts of the epic gear, trying to "make it" was what made the old system great. The downside of that system was that it was not compatible with having other things to do in your life if you wanted to get to the top.

I've loved to see all these people crying about these ratings been too high before the current honor system.

I personally think that these ratings are maybe even too low, the cost of the weapon should be closer to 2000 then getting the weapon and shoulders could be called an achievement. And no, i dont have a arenateam even close to 1850.

Not sure if you guys focus mainly on pve or pvp. If you do fokus on pve, like me, and you can't get any gear from arenas that is usefull in pve then will you still arena?

As others have said, it's just idiotic to lower the ratings so little. Perhaps some rating - like 1650 for the weapons, 1800 for the shoulders - would be appropriate to keep the losing teams from getting the gear. But then, think about the BoJ loot that will be available in 2.4 which is even much earlier than S4. An S3 quality 2h axe for 150 BoJs? You don't need to be good in any way to get it, even less so than in arena, you just need time. Seems to me they finally gave in to the pve players whining about the ease of getting gear through arena.

Correct now I will not do arena with my lock anymore. I will run kara for a couple weeks and buy the weapon from badges with just a little less hit rating than the arena one, but same spell damage. No more need for arenas on my lock.

as the blue post said, they haven't announced the prices yet. so maybe there are going to be cheap enough that it will be worth it but you still need the rating. the only reason i can see to have such a high rating is that the price difference between s3 and s4 will be significant, as many people have noted they aren't huge upgrades anyway, so if you can get full s3 @50-60% cost why not do it? still requires rating tho, so that it isn't leeched by everyone. seems fair at this point, but that will depend on the actual price of s3.

Correct now I will not do arena with my lock anymore. I will run kara for a couple weeks and buy the weapon from badges with just a little less hit rating than the arena one, but same spell damage. No more need for arenas on my lock.
    The new badge spelldamagedagger is nowhere near the s3 dagger (yes hit rating counts MUCH if youre a warlock) and the upcoming s4 dagger will propably be even better than the s3 for pve.

It is exactly the same as the S3 dagger

Vengeful Gladiator's Spellblade
    Binds when picked upMain Hand Dagger
    16 - 117 Damage Speed 1.60
    (41.3 damage per second)
    +30 Stamina
    +20 Intellect
    Durability 75 / 75
    Requires Level 70
    Requires personal arena rating of 1850
    Equip: Improves spell hit rating by 17 (1.35% @ L70).
    Equip: Improves your resilience rating by 18 (0.46% @ L70).
    Equip: Increases damage and healing done by magical spells and effects by up to 247.

Scryer's Blade of Focus
    Binds when picked up
    UniqueMain Hand Dagger
    18 - 130 Damage Speed 1.80
    (41.3 damage per second)
    +42 Stamina
    +28 Intellect
    Durability 75 / 75
    Requires Level 70
    Equip: Increases damage and healing done by magical spells and effects by up to 247.

I only want that 2.4 will start next week. I can't wait anymore for Hitcap and the free Nethervortex. ;D
    And a Rating of 1800 is easy to get ... I got this Rating in an 3v3 Team WL/WL/ Shadowpriest... an nobody has much PVP Gear. Just T4 and the Shadowpriest T5. So with this combo you got an huge dmg output, but not really a group which takes the better pvp players down. Bloodlust is my Realmpool, btw.
    Hope you think first about your setup in the Arena bevor you start to play there. And after you know how, think a second time about your Setup. And kick the players who can't fight good, fast.
    Gl in reaching the low skiller pvp ranks. I hope I can do it too and find some good players on Nathrezim for a my new setup idea in 3v3.
    My english is not the best, so if you want to correct my entry. Please send me a personal massage

It is exactly the same as the S3 dagger

Vengeful Gladiator's Spellblade
    Binds when picked upMain Hand Dagger
    16 - 117 Damage Speed 1.60
    (41.3 damage per second)
    +30 Stamina
    +20 Intellect
    Durability 75 / 75
    Requires Level 70
    Requires personal arena rating of 1850
    Equip: Improves spell hit rating by 17 (1.35% @ L70).
    Equip: Improves your resilience rating by 18 (0.46% @ L70).

Scryer's Blade of Focus
    Binds when picked up
    UniqueMain Hand Dagger
    18 - 130 Damage Speed 1.80
    (41.3 damage per second)
    +42 Stamina
    +28 Intellect
    Durability 75 / 75
    Requires Level 70
    17 hit rating :P
    ...................../´¯/)
    ....................,/¯../
    ............./´¯/'...'/´¯¯`·¸
    ........../'/.../..../......./¨¯\
    ........('(...´...´.... ¯~/'...')