Thread: AoC

Page 1 of 3
LastLast

AoC

Age of Conan Hyborian Adventures is set to release May 20th. I've been reading up on the game and it seems epic at some points and pretty cheesy at other points. The combat system will apparently be pretty different from the WoW click and auto-cast system. I guess I'm trying to decide if this game is worth pre-ordering right now and if anyone has any idea how this game will compare to other games (aka WoW).

Re: AoC

I saw some screenshots and some looked good but mostly I dont like how they try to make stuff look realistic. Sometimes when you try to make things realistic it just comes out looking cheesy imo. That and it's prob gonna be killer on your pc for not that much of an upgrade visualy.

What parts of it looks cheesy?
    After reading almost every word on the official site and watching every posted clip and screenshot I have found, I can't say any of it looks cheesy!?!

AoC targets a more mature audience than wow. Therefore content and gameplay will differ alot from wow I belive. This is what made me pre-order the game. Kind of tired of the cartoonish grafix of wow, and I dont find the game(wow) exiting anymore. Another reason is that the developers are Norwegian and hey, so am I

AoC looks ok, but I don't like the realistic graphics of the game.

Every ****ing MMO is super realistic with medieval looking buildings/people. I can't stand that crap. That's why I liked the visuals of WoW. Bright, colourful and very artistic. I mean the areas like Nagrand, Blades Edge, Netherstorm etc look so much more interesting than stupid generic green fields and medieval buildings.

Kinda the reason why I didn't roll Alliance characters. Stormwind and Ironforge look like crap. Give me Undercity or Thunderbluff any day.

Other than the visuals tho, the combat system looks ok. More to do than just spamming buttons it seems. I guess I'll try the game out, play the 30 days and see how I like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Cannondale
    What parts of it looks cheesy?
    After reading almost every word on the official site and watching every posted clip and screenshot I have found, I can't say any of it looks cheesy!?!

AoC targets a more mature audience than wow. Therefore content and gameplay will differ alot from wow I belive. This is what made me pre-order the game. Kind of tired of the cartoonish grafix of wow, and I dont find the game(wow) exiting anymore. Another reason is that the developers are Norwegian and hey, so am I
    If you think having mature content is going to attract mature players you are going to be in for a pretty big shock.

Quote Originally Posted by Belanna
    If you think having mature content is going to attract mature players you are going to be in for a pretty big shock.
    How come?
    What would attract mature gamers then?
    What would draw a ten year old from the EZ-mode, cartoonstyle, buttonspamming wow? I really cant see the kids leaving wow for AoC. Time will tell

Quote Originally Posted by MrSimtang
    Every ****ing MMO is super realistic with medieval looking buildings/people. I can't stand that crap. That's why I liked the visuals of WoW. Bright, colourful and very artistic. I mean the areas like Nagrand, Blades Edge, Netherstorm etc look so much more interesting than stupid generic green fields and medieval buildings.

Kinda the reason why I didn't roll Alliance characters. Stormwind and Ironforge look like crap. Give me Undercity or Thunderbluff any day.
    The Areas look nice, but the Design of Outland is just boring, you have a great area of red, then make one step and everything is blue.
    But it seems Blizzard has realized that and will do it better in WotlK. A little more natural enviroment, more and smaller regions, softer borders.

What does me interest in AoC isn't the look but the new elements like melee combat and spell weaving.
    WoW is really flat in that matter, you just have to cast the right spell and that its, nothing to work and play with.

My self being in beta of AoC I can say it will crush WoW's gay pvp system. If you enjoy all out PVP then you will enjoy the game. The combat system is easy to get into. I thought it wouldnt be but I was wrong. IMO its worth the preorder. Id to go google video and look up AoC Combat. There are many videos on the combat alone. Also it will take more skill to play AoC and be good at it.

Quote Originally Posted by overneathe
    As opposed to spacegoats riding giant elephants?

Yep. Ok.
    Every time you mention your arena rating, your penis shrinks 1/4inch.

cant wait for AoC, ive had my collectors edition ordered for about 4 months now.
    just getting bored with WoW now tbh, i was hoping WAR would be good, but doesnt seem as tho it will be as good as the dawn of war was.

As far as i've heard you have to parry and dodge manually in AoC
    How much fail is that going to be 2 vs 1?
    There's no way, no matter how skilled you are, you can coordinate yourself do a degree to be able to defend yourself from attacks in two different directions. It's just gonna mean that in a big fight you'll get owned so easily.

Quote Originally Posted by overneathe
    Go and play Counter Strike.

I personally hope that AoC pisses all over WoW. Had enough of its Teletubby gameplay.

Quote Originally Posted by Windywoo
    Go and play Counter Strike.
    One of the most utter boring games I've played in the past 10 years.
    Try again.

Quote Originally Posted by Remiel
    As opposed to spacegoats riding giant elephants?
    As a matter of fact I do like spacegoats riding giant elephants compared to the 150th game involving medieval armors, vikings and "oooooh mysterious" magics.

AoC is gonna be good, but if they are going for a release on the 20th of May it's also going to be quite buggy/laggy which can kill the game.

The graphic is stunning, whether you like realism or not this game is really beautifull. The combat system is something NEW, wow something new for a mmorpg never thought that day would come, actually it also seems to be kinda good. The lore is so so, (personally im not into lore also not in wow) but the atmosphere is very good, so was wow when i tried it for the first time, but I have to admit the better gfx of AoC brings it to a higher level.

I would be a little reluctant with the preorder, because of the many possible problems at launch, but I'm definately going to buy AoC, and if the timing is right Blizzard might not see me buying Wotlk if AoC doesn't need to much time to be polished.

Quote Originally Posted by SimTex
    AoC is gonna be good, but if they are going for a release on the 20th of May it's also going to be quite buggy/laggy which can kill the game.
    Yes but if they release after WotLK the player will be too sucked in the game to even notice something else on the horizon. I know I will. :]

As far as the combat system, I want to see how well it will perform with lag, and hitting people that are no longer there.

I can just die laughin at all the people in gamespot commenting "GG WOW, HELLO AOC!!" n stuff like that.

You'll see... you'll come back to WoW in a matter of weeks.
    Soon as you hit the hyper intensive video "lush" and an engine trying to render ENORMOUS EXTREMELY detailed HIGHLY dinamic landscape from a company that can probably not support more then 500,000 players online... you'll come back. ;]

Deleted

To be honest, that "Fatalities vid" made me regret by beta sign-up.
    This kind of graphic display of violence might just attract the audience i don't want anything to do with to the game.
    Of course, this is just my personal opinion, but for those of you who might share this view of mine, i really recommend Zero Punctuation's review of Manhunt:
    http://www.escapistmagazine.com/arti...uation-Manhunt
    "And take this as a kind of recommendation if you are the kind of person who needs to see a gushing, mangled neckstump before they can get it up"
    (I lol'd)

Quote Originally Posted by Gmd
    ok new member here.. I just had to post on this dam game everyone is talking about.. since last one got locked I had to fix some info that was wrong with it , I think ill go ahead and give it a shot since thats all I keep hearing , but after some research I found that some info was not correct. This is what devs say on the vids on youtube.

13clases 3 races .
    1500 ARMOR SETS !!!! " this shocked me because wow only has about 18"
    Free for all Pvp servers if thats what you want . "but voluntary."
    over 8,000 quest some voice acted. "its 8k not 800"
    Lots of Pve content also " 25 man raid instances"

Developer Walkthrough 1. watch graphics near end of vid.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cul-w2p3l2s "i added this one"
    Fatalities vid
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkV0fnjaoSI "fixed link"

that was all taken from another post , I preordered the game today because of the hype hopefully its as good as it looks

Yeah I think I'll skip it, the best thing about AoC is all the kiddies (and by that I mean immature not age) will leave WoW so they can beat off over naked video game toons.