Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

Season 4 rating requirements increased ?

Update 04/15 - Post updated with today's news: An interview about Arena Tournament on Gamespy, a few blue posts, and a nice video !

Season 4 rating requirements increased ?
    The official armory has been full of surprises lately (See Today's news about the epic gems prices) and we heard about a few interesting potential changes to the 2.4 patch.

This time, the news is much bigger, according to two season 4 items activated on the official armory, the personal rating requirements on shoulders has been increased to 2200. For the moment we don't know yet if it's a definitive change, or if the requirements on weapons have been increased as well.

This also means that we've got the stats of 2 additional season 4 items. Below are the stats gathered during the testing phase of the patch.

Other item stats
    Very important note : Most of these items have "outdated" stats, the armor on the sets should be slightly higher. The only armor set up-to-date with the latest version of the PTR is the Paladin one. Keep in mind that all of them are from PTRs and could have been changed since then.

Weapons
    [Brutal Gladiator's Greatsword]

Druid
    [Brutal Gladiator's Dragonhide Tunic], [Brutal Gladiator's Kodohide Tunic], [Brutal Gladiator's Wyrmhide Tunic]

Paladin
    [Brutal Gladiator's Scaled Chestpiece], [Brutal Gladiator's Scaled Gauntlets], [Brutal Gladiator's Scaled Shoulders], [Brutal Gladiator's Scaled Legguards], [Brutal Gladiator's Scaled Helm], [Guardian's Scaled Belt], [Guardian's Scaled Bracers], [Guardian's Scaled Greaves]
    [Brutal Gladiator's Ornamented Chestguard]

Warrior
    [Brutal Gladiator's Plate Chestpiece], [Brutal Gladiator's Plate Gauntlets], [Brutal Gladiator's Plate Helm], [Brutal Gladiator's Plate Legguards], [Brutal Gladiator's Plate Shoulders]

Gamespy interview with Tom Chilton and Joong Kim about WoW Arena Tournament
    amespy posted a 7 pages long interview with Tom Chilton and Joong Kim from Blizzard, you should definitely read it if you're interested in Arena balancing and things like that. Below are a few quotes from the interview
    Originally Posted by Gamespy (Blue Tracker)
    Have you looked internally at the distribution of players doing arenas on the live realm, separating those who are playing competitively with those selling teams or just tanking games to get gear?
    Tom Chilton: We don't really have any way of knowing that. We can't distinguish what the intent of a given player is, whether they consider themselves to be competitive or whether they're just doing it for the gear or whatever. Certainly as far as players who are trying to exploit the system through loopholes, we have some changes coming in a patch just a few weeks away where we'll close a lot of those loopholes.

GameSpy: Are you able to talk about those changes yet?
    Tom Chilton: Not just yet.

GameSpy: But we can expect the changes will be targeted at the point-selling teams.
    Tom Chilton: Point selling, personal rating selling.

GameSpy: The two big things that players seem like they're against are the point-selling teams, since you can face highly skilled and geared players at even the low ratings, and those who bring alts or friends on a team to tank a team so that they can then get a high personal rating on the real team.
    Tom Chilton: Exactly, that's what we'll be addressing.

A few lines about Death Knights
    GameSpy: I'm interested in something you just mentioned, the Death Knights. They've been described as the class that's going to be the two-hand Tank, the class that'll tank unlike any class before. But that's a PvE role, good luck tanking in arenas. What are they going to do in arenas?
    Tom Chilton: We definitely have to think about the Death Knight from all the different angles. We are starting to crystallize in our minds, how good the Death Knight tanks. What they're good at, what they're not good at. We have the core Death Knight mechanics already worked out. Their core spells and abilities. So they'll be filling their own tanking role. But in the same way, in the back of my mind as we design it, we have to figure out that they have their role in arena and have enough tools to be effective there too.

And a last quote just for fun ...
    GameSpy: We can also expect that the group composition that wins overall will get nerfed shortly afterwards?
    Tom Chilton: (laughs) If it feels like that particular group composition dominated the tournament, then I would say yes, but not necessarily just the winners.

Read the full interview on Gamespy
    Wrath of the Lich King News
    Most of the people reading this site aren't affected by this announcement I guess, but at least Blizzard is starting to communicate about WotLK.
    [blizzquote="Blizzad;http://www.worldofwarcraft.com]We're pleased to announce that our agreements with The9, our World of Warcraft partner in mainland China, and Soft-World, our World of Warcraft partner in the regions of Taiwan, Hong Kong, and Macau, have been updated to include the localization, operation, and support of Wrath of the Lich King for players in their respective regions. Further news, including release plans for each region, will be announced closer to launch. [/blizzquote"]

Arena Tournament - Cure Poison not available to Tauren Druids
    It seems that someone forgot to add Cure Poison to the premade tauren druid's spell book, and Blizzard can't fix it anytime soon.
    [blizzquote="Bornakk;http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.html?topicId=5784446046&postId=59154801061&sid=1#4]We have bugged this, but as for when it will be fixed, we have no ETA. I wouldn't expect it to happen before the end of the First Qualification Round, not sure beyond that at this time either.[/blizzquote"]

Landro's Guards Changes
    The guards next to Landro Longshot have been changed to let people hostile with Booty Bay get their Trading Card Game rewards without being constantly attacked.
    Originally Posted by Hortus (Blue Tracker)
    The changes to guard spawns have been made. As I said before you will still have to deal with the guards but it should be easier now. I've found that if you stand behind Landro it should be possible to speak with him without too much difficulty.

Being a Bloodsail Buccaneer is not meant to be easy. Dealing with the Booty Bay guards is the price you pay for the second coolest hat in the game (mine being the coolest).

Your April 1st favourite!
    The post has been updated with results, your favorite on was the new Molten Core: Unleashed! console game !
    Originally Posted by Thundgot (Blue Tracker)
    In good tradition there has been a number of nor-entirely-true news around. We’d like to know which one was your favourite. If you haven’t checked them all out yet, here are the links:

Tauren Marine: http://eu.starcraft2.com/features/terran/taurenmarine.xml
    Diablo Loot Piñata: http://www.blizzard.co.uk/diablo2exp/pinata/
    Molten Core: Unleashed!: http://www.wow-europe.com/en/moltencore/
    Bard Hero Class: http://www.wow-europe.com/wrath/features/bard/bardclass.xml?locale=en_GB

Results
    Tauren Marine: 11.84%
    Diablo Loot Piñata: 1.89%
    Bard Hero Class: 34.45%
    Molten Core for consoles: 51.82%

Video - Never Stay Tuned 3
    It always happens late at night, when Olibith is in front of the TV, channel zapping just before he falls asleep or run out of beer. With Special Guests : Baron Soosdon, Ian Beckman and Dopefish !

Re: Season 4 rating requirements increased ?

Nice! Thats what all pro PvPers want!

Thank god.

With the s3 shoulders only seeing a 50 pers rating drop im pretty sure this is an intended change.
    Weapons are likely bumped up to 2k aswell since the s3 weaps have an 1800 pers recuirement in s4.
    Interesting change tho

Add PR to ALL ARENA PURCHASABLE ITEMS

Personal rating is a non sense while some class can rise 2k+ easily by only shaking their ass on the floor...

The shoulders is great since the stats aren't much better, but they look awesome. They show status and yet still maintain a fairly level playing field.

Weapons however kinda sucks. I play between 1550-1750 in different brackets with a range of players from mostly S1 to mostly S3, but we fight S3 shouldered/weaponed teams at anything above 1550, very frequently when above 1600, and more often than not as you approach 1700.

When you run a couple of melee classes, having S1/2 weapons and fighting players with S3 puts you at a disadvantage. Much more so than shoulders.

All I can see this change meaning, is instead of the S3 shoulder+wep teams that steamroll at 1600 right now, we'll have S3 shouldered+S4 weaponed players steamrolling even more easily teams that still have S1/2 weapons, and with that disadvantage will never really stand much chance of getting S3 weapons to even things about a bit.

I think they should look at having a weapon in your bags/on your toon auto-setting your personal rating to a certain value when you queue. If people want to boost friends from 1500, fine, but leave the S3/4 weapons in the bank and give people who've just managed to get a S1 weapon, a fair shot at beating you based on their skill, not by a massive DPS boost they don't stand a chance of getting.

Ok since I don't know shit 'bout pvp and you guys seem all pro n stuff how do you classify 2x aff locks and 1 spriest in arena?
    I'm just curious really. And really don't know anything 'bout pvp. So please speak. :]

This is great, make Shoulders require 2200, Weapons require 2000, all other Season 4 armor requiring 1800. That would be absolutely wonderful.

Quote Originally Posted by Rokh
    This is great, make Shoulders require 2200, Weapons require 2000, all other Season 4 armor requiring 1800. That would be absolutely wonderful.
    And hopefully with the other changes being implemented, S4 teams won't reap the monetary benefits that come along with something like that (aka selling teams).

Ever since S3, this wreaked hell on the lower brackets if you didnt have an optimal setup or gear. Sadly I never found someone in equivallent gear so I never rose above 1800.

I love the change idea, but makes me kinda iffy in hopes they do solve the win trading / selling / power leveling of teams.

damn thats pretty high >.<

Quote Originally Posted by Rokh
    I don't think it would be as wonderful as you think. By the time S3 ends it will have been possible for a 1500 rated player to have snagged all the pieces available that don't have a rating.

If S4 starts and these types of players are effectively shut out of any future arena upgrades, they'll lose a big incentive to actually participate.

All of a sudden the arena would become insanely more competitive, as people who played only for fun with a buddy in a less than ideal set-up, only doing 10 matches per week are removed from the system. Making the field that much smaller and relatively much harder to get the ratings needed for S4 pieces.

Quote Originally Posted by ajezz
    I don't think it would be as wonderful as you think. By the time S3 ends it will have been possible for a 1500 rated player to have snagged all the pieces available that don't have a rating.

If S4 starts and these types of players are effectively shut out of any future arena upgrades, they'll lose a big incentive to actually participate.

All of a sudden the arena would become insanely more competitive, as people who played only for fun with a buddy in a less than ideal set-up, only doing 10 matches per week are removed from the system. Making the field that much smaller and relatively much harder to get the ratings needed for S4 pieces.
    Sweet, back to raids then. :]

Exactly, most people fail to understand that in order for there to be a top there also needs to be a bottom.
    If for instance all the current -1850 teams stop playing the current 2k teams would be at ~1650, wich is why rating req on every arena piece wont ever happen.
    People need to have the feeling that they are working towards an reward, wether this feeling is realistic or not is a diffrent story but still, there is a goal.
    If there isnt a reward people would stop playing, wich would result in a drastic decrease in active teams and thus opponents to play against.

This is bullshit in my point of view, this make's all people who doesnt have the time/skill too play in top arena ratings go raid, and if you even dont have enough time to play arena you sertantly dont have enough time for raiding. they said they also want to look at the casual players, well this sertantly shows they arent. not a good call imo.

Casual players need to remain casual with s2 or s3. Tbh all S4 should have 2000+ personal rating req.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuig
    This is bullshit in my point of view, this make's all people who doesnt have the time/skill too play in top arena ratings go raid, and if you even dont have enough time to play arena you sertantly dont have enough time for raiding. they said they also want to look at the casual players, well this sertantly shows they arent. not a good call imo.
    So because the game has casual players, nothing is supposed to exist that is focused toward those who are not? That is the same nonsense that has the raiders pissed off.

Arena used too be for the more casual players in WoW, and now they will make it even harder for the casual players there isnt much more left to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuig
    Arena used too be for the more casual players in WoW, and now they will make it even harder for the casual players there isnt much more left to do.
    I would say that battlegrounds are for casual PvP. Arenas, by their very nature, are highly skill based and not casual friendly (at least at the competitive rungs of the ladder).

well if blizzard doesnt come up with anything else for casual players except those bullshit battlegrounds, then i think that WoW has peaked.