Mutilate or Shadowstep?

Hey yall,

FIRST OF ALL, I dont want any answers like "l2p lol" etc. I want serious answers!

I'm currently shadowstep spec 20/0/41 in both 2s and 3s. We have 1800+ rating in both teams. We're playing Rogue/Druid in 2vs2 and Rogue/Warrior/Druid in 3v3. My teammates just lvled up these alts and they only have S1 gear, so dont complain on the rating

Anyway!
    Since we're most likely get 1850 this week I'm wondering wether I shall buy maces and still go for shadowstep or if I should go for daggers and go for mutilate spec. Why I'm wondering this is that I sometimes feel that I want more burst. Though this would result in that I could get kited easier.

When we're playing 2v2 and we play against mirror and the rogue is mutilate its in most cases GG for my druid. Ofc he can survive for a few minutes but I'm running out of cd's and the druid is there to CC me like f*ck and then my druid is also fucked, kidneys, vanish + cheapshot, feral charge, bash and ofc the sick burst of mutilate.

Discpriest/Warlock is pretty much the hardest team we can get as our opponents imo. At least at this rating. And these fights usually go on forever because I dont have that last burst to finish the lock.

BUT, will this be different when I get s3 mace?

FINAL QUESTION;
    MUTILATE OR SHADOWSTEP?

Thanks in advance.
    Regards
    Reedz

15+ Year Old Account

Re: Mutilate or Shadowstep?

I didn't bother reading all your bullshit, so I just give you a straight answer: ShS!!

Quote Originally Posted by Snikeren
    I didn't bother reading all your bullshit, so I just give you a straight answer: ShS!!
    real awesome response..

anyways, i had a couple friends that went glad s1 and s2 with mut, and tried for a long time to stick with it in s3. They got to about 2200 in 2s with shadowpriest / mut rogue. eventually tho they throw in the towel and now instead of struggling to get 2200 with mut they are just chilling at 2350 as SHS, waiting on their new 310 drake hehe.

imo go SHS. dont even consider mut unless u have ur zg trinket

S2 Gladiator horde Rogue here.

I've recently tried out mutilate and I'd have to say that mutilate is viable now, but it completely depends on which bracket your playing in.  Also the play style is completely different, so don't expect to be able to buy the S3 daggers, then be able to decent at 1850 ranking as a muti rogue.  

I think Mutilate is probably the most viable in 5v5, where as a rogue, you can get away without having to /focus (SS) kick, /focus blind, /focus whatever, and just simply focus on downing an opponent.  

But in 2v2, 3v3, IMHO the ability to control your opponents is much more important than burst dmg.  I mean mutilate could work, but contrary to popular belief, a rogue's job in 2v2 and 3v3 is much more than just DPS; your timing of blind and kick are crucial.  Honestly, what seperates an average rogue, from a good rogue is their Arena awareness (kinda like in basketball, the best players are those that can see whats happening everywhere and move accordingly).  The biggest mistake noobie rogues make is to cast blind on an opponent who hasn't popped trinket.  

A rogues job is to be able to stop DPSing if need be, and put up a crucial /focus blind/kick/deadly throw/arcane torrent.  I mean you could do that all as a muti rogue too, and against a mirror match (another rogue v. druid) you wouldn't lose much i guess, but the second you go up against a mage, or get feared and out of range... then you'd have to run back to your target, which in most cases is GG for your partner or your opponents heal up.

Against a Disc P/SL lock, lol, good luck without SS.  One fear and you're forced to pop trinket (or wotf if your UD) but you'd still have to run back to them.  (would be easier if you got a shiv off with crippling poison and it hasn't worn off)

So honestly, in 2v2 and 3v3 I still think that SS is the way to go. In 5v5, you can rely more on others and burst dmg is more useful if your team is one that likes to down one opponent immediately.  

But alot of rogues above 2000 still use SS in the 2v2 bracket.

And you probably know this... but...

when you played that mirror match, did you get the opening sap on the Muti rogue? Cause Rogue v. Rogue, that first Sap is key.  Pretty much whenever I'm going up against another full S3 rogue, the fight comes down to whoever gets caught first.  

If you Sapped him you should've been able to down him by --> Garrote --> hemo --> (2nd hemo if you want, but this'll require you to wait for energy later) --> Rupture/evis --> hemo --> hemo --> shiv --> KS --> Hemo --> Shiv --> Rupture --> Vanish (right before KS wears off).  At some point the Muti rogue is forced to pop CoS/trinket to mitigate damage.  All the while your druid should've been CCing the other teams druid, forcing the other druid to pop trinket, and the second he did, you should've /focus blinded him.  After that, I usually:  Sap/CS (to reset Diminishing returns on stuns, but you don't need to sap) --> premed --> hemo --> hemo --> rupture/evis --> hemo --> shiv --> KS --> hemo --> Hemo --> Evis and then just go toe to toe with him.  BUt he should be close to dead.

And yes, S3 weapons do make a difference. Are you using S1 weapons?

Also... why would you want S3 Maces?

I got S3 maces when S3 started because I was HARP before the nerf.

The second HARP was nerfed, I got S3 swords. I mean I guess stat wise they're similar. But the S3 maces look like ice cream cones.

Get the swords and get Mongoose/Mongoose. They look like light sabers!

Quote Originally Posted by Snikeren
    Haha lololollool...imba reply

15+ Year Old Account

"Yes yes, my name is Snikeren, and I'm the best rogue in the world."

On-T (hate people who say OT, it can mean off and on topic -_-): I do not have much experience with 5v5, sadly, but I do know that ShS can come in VERY handy when fighting ranged classes, and for giving your opposition a little surprise (jump out of a cliff, and ShS back up!). When they keep you rooted, kited or something like that, having ShS ready to get behind your opponent + some extra speed, can really turn the tide of the battle. It's also very handy to get quicker into the horde towers in AV.

Go Shadowstep.

BUT don't buy maces, buy swords. It is easier to transition over to combat swords in case you decide to start raiding.

Maces were popular at the start of season 3 because we could go AR/Prep and have mace stun....

I could go over the down side of playing mutlilate, I did for both S1, S2, and the start of S3, but I won't on this thread. PM me if you want my reasons.

2k+ 3s season 3 and 1850+ 2s season 3 rogue here.

personally, shs has alot of advantages mutilate doesnt offer such as prep. the only rogues i see doing well in arenas that are mutilate have the zg trinket which instance gives 40 energy for that extra burst that you'd be looking for.

also id say get the maces unless you ever plan on raiding. maces have higher top end damage so on average your hemos should be hitting just as hard or harder than swords would.

hope that helps

Quote Originally Posted by rellion
    also id say get the maces unless you ever plan on raiding. maces have higher top end damage so on average your hemos should be hitting just as hard or harder than swords would.
    The DPS is the same. It is true that maces have a higher - high end damage BUT they also have a lower - low end damage. So it is the roll of the dice either way. You're better off w/ swords imho.

Thx for all the answers, especially Alexis. You gave me some really good reasons to go ShS.
    And about the maces, was just writing it as an example I agree swords looks better 8)

Quote Originally Posted by Reedz
    Thx for all the answers, especially Alexis. You gave me some really good reasons to go ShS.
    And about the maces, was just writing it as an example I agree swords looks better 8)
    No prob. Good idea go for swords, they look way cooler.

hmmm i personally like the maces how they look they look so cool

Quote Originally Posted by Devon
    hmmm i personally like the maces how they look they look so cool
    nothing like beating the hell outta someone with ice cream cones that never melt :P

Didnt read what you posted, just the name of the topic.... SHADOWSTEP!!!!!!!

Stood in the Fire
    15+ Year Old Account

Get S3 Swords and stay ShS. The reason for swords over maces is that if you EVER raid, you'll have sword spec, and as shadowstep, there is no difference between having maces or swords.....also, the maces are ugly
    If your only question is what is the destination, you need to think more about the journey.

Spec'ing in case you raid makes no sense imo. If you have high res and HP you should go a higher dps spec but if you don't you might wanna keep shadowstep.

cba to read it also, but all i know if is, for 2v2 and 3v3 it's shadowstep all the way...!
    mutilate is only for 5v5 imo
    Zukias (Main) (70 mage - Al'Akir) http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Al%27Akir&n=Zukias

Horrible replys from bandwagon sindrome.

With your setup, I would always go for mutilate over shadowstep, I'll explain why too.

First of all druid rogue combat mutilate there is a win comparing to shadowstep any day of the week, it lacks survivability but compensates a lot on sustained dps, of course that setup is a lot dependent on the skill of your druid.

WDR in 3v3 is no different, were you will need that burst on demand, imp expose armor with fast combo point build up.

I'm not saying mutilate is better then shs, but for setups he mentioned above I would go for mutilate.

I have 2 rogues currently, troll rogue full veng shadowstep and human rogue mutilate missing shoulders/legs still though haven't got him that much attention as I did on troll.

Quote Originally Posted by oglaigh
    nothing like beating the hell outta someone with ice cream cones that never melt :P
    WIN