Mongoose Vs. Executioner ??????

So I was under the impression from a previous thread that Mongoose was the best enchant for PvE end game raiding.

I have since gotten some mixed reviews on this topic from the previous thread to this.

Is Exectutioner the way to go for a Retribution Pally?
    Or is Mongoose the way to go?

I currently have mongoose on my two hand axe and I gotta say that it doesnt seem to proc that often. When it does....watch out......but it doesnt happen alot.

So as Iv read the previous post to this on ret pallys quite a few different people said to go with savagery or executioner if i could get it.

I can get it thats for sure but I dont wanna spend the 4 or 5 hundred gold on it before I get some feedback.

So any thoughts or insight is welcome.

Thx.

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...il&n=Babathong

Re: Mongoose Vs. Executioner ??????

Mongoose is a good choice once you have a decent amount of Attack Power (say 1600). Executioner is as good as mongoose if you have more than at least 500 Armor Penetration (still many debates on that). With your gear, it'd be in your best interest to use Savagery as it gives you a steady +70 Attack Power increase.

Retribution pallys are useful and do decent dps, but only if you have the gear.

You have way too much hit rating (with precision, 95 is enough) and not enough Attack Power. Regem everything with STRENGTH (NOT CRIT RATING).

your gear priorities: HIT RATING CAP > STR > CRIT > STAM (for pve at least).

Also, spirit will not increase your mana regeneration, it increases your mana regen while NOT in combat.

Lastly, get S3/S4 ret gear. With those gear, you'll prob be top 3 in dps in SSC/TK because Arena gears are very close to T5/T6 level. Get the S3 ret glove for sure.

hope this helps.

Mongoose is good for 2 1h, executioner for 2h IMO

Executioner procs about the same as mongoose for me.

well i find Executioner proc to be alot more frequent than mongoose personally, however i have no data to prove that just my personal feeling, anyway that being said i really think you owe yourself a respec, i would advice something like this (http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=sxZVhZEf0t0cuiIot)

Have fun

It all depend of your class imo. Rogue benefit more of Mongoose. I dont know for other classes
    I am indestructible.

Epic Noob's Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by jzmail
    QFT. Go all out on +str or +crit/str gems after hit cap. Stick with executioner if you have some armor penetration. Still being debated though but I prefer executioner around 500 ArPnt also. Never tried mongoose on 2h so can't say a thing but executioner procs well, savagery is also good if you want more ap.

I don't play a paladin, but I did have some experience with end-game raiding on a rogue and I found that once you get a decent amount of armor penetration going (either from trinket procs or gear statics) and decent being 400+ airing on the lower side of things executioner is the way to go. Until then, mongoose is a fail-safe option, even if you do have a high armor penetration rating.
    Cheare - 80 Human Paladin
    <Deus Vox> Laughing Skull - US

greenmasheen

Quote Originally Posted by rawrform
    Mongoose is good for 2 1h, executioner for 2h IMO
    i have seen a lot of good warriors using savagery on 2h weapons.

Quote Originally Posted by 5ergio
    QFT. Go all out on +str or +crit/str gems after hit cap. Stick with executioner if you have some armor penetration. Still being debated though but I prefer executioner around 500 ArPnt also. Never tried mongoose on 2h so can't say a thing but executioner procs well, savagery is also good if you want more ap.
    To be honest, I disagree.

First of all, I think Executioner is only really worth it, if you have ArP in your items. 800 in a proc is just useless, either you stack it or you don't.
    But for a 2H build, either warrior or paladin, my view is that ArP is the major stat after STR/AP. You can be Hit capped pretty easily and you have precision, so I don't think that really counts.

Also if you're raiding, I would definitely NOT recommend you to farm S3 or any PvP related gear for that matter, you can get better stuff with badges and if you can get T5 or even T4 go for it.

So overall, and this is just my opinion, I think Mongoose shouldn't be used in 2H 'cause I think you benefit more with Savagery. And executioner is NOT worth getting if you don't have any other ArP.

Speaking about this to a ret pally in my guild, he goes for mongoose all the way with his 2H S3 sword, he didn't go into much detail as it was just in passing whilst we were messing about outside IF with a few others in duels, but he said executioner wasn't worth it. And since he happens to be the best ret pally I've ever met, I'm inclined to agree with what he says

Quote Originally Posted by jzmail
    Mongoose is a good choice once you have a decent amount of Attack Power (say 1600). Executioner is as good as mongoose if you have more than at least 500 Armor Penetration (still many debates on that). With your gear, it'd be in your best interest to use Savagery as it gives you a steady +70 Attack Power increase.

Retribution pallys are useful and do decent dps, but only if you have the gear.

You have way too much hit rating (with precision, 95 is enough) and not enough Attack Power. Regem everything with STRENGTH (NOT CRIT RATING).

Also, spirit will not increase your mana regeneration, it increases your mana regen while NOT in combat.

Lastly, get S3/S4 ret gear. With those gear, you'll prob be top 3 in dps in SSC/TK because Arena gears are very close to T5/T6 level. Get the S3 ret glove for sure.

hope this helps.

Spirit does increase yur mana regen in combat!
    It just does not increase it WHILE CASTING ...and since a retri pally does only instant cast spells....u fail

Uh, 'whilst casting' translates to: 'whilst casting or 5 seconds after casting an instant cast spell', i.e. the 5 second rule, after which regen counts as 'whilst not casting'. Just thought I'd clear that up ;p

I am currently using Executioner. I am testing it with and without other ArP gear, and I have to agree with the posters above, you want to have around and above 500 ArP in order for it to be effective. I used to use Savagery but don't really like it as it is a static +70AP, where as both Mongoose and Executioner scale with gear.

I will proabably go back to Mongoose at least until I get more ArP. Just picked up choker of serrated blades from MH, so that will probably fit in somewhere nicely.

as for gear definitely get the Season 3/4 gloves as the +5% on Crusader Strike is very nice indeed.

http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sh...r&n=Glanmorial

Quote Originally Posted by pilch
    Uh, 'whilst casting' translates to: 'whilst casting or 5 seconds after casting an instant cast spell', i.e. the 5 second rule, after which regen counts as 'whilst not casting'. Just thought I'd clear that up ;p
    <---pwned :">

In short
    Mongoose

Quote Originally Posted by greenmasheen
    i have seen a lot of good warriors using savagery on 2h weapons.
    yea, but i was just refering to the topic. But savagery is good.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinspaw
    To be honest, I disagree.

First of all, I think Executioner is only really worth it, if you have ArP in your items. 800 in a proc is just useless, either you stack it or you don't.
    But for a 2H build, either warrior or paladin, my view is that ArP is the major stat after STR/AP. You can be Hit capped pretty easily and you have precision, so I don't think that really counts.

Also if you're raiding, I would definitely NOT recommend you to farm S3 or any PvP related gear for that matter, you can get better stuff with badges and if you can get T5 or even T4 go for it.

So overall, and this is just my opinion, I think Mongoose shouldn't be used in 2H 'cause I think you benefit more with Savagery. And executioner is NOT worth getting if you don't have any other ArP.
    A major part of paladin damage is already unaffected by armor while it IS affected by melee crit. Also keep in mind that paladins gain more crit per agi than warriors do. It's stupid to compare warriors to paladins.