Has anyone tried prot/retri?

as in http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=sZxRt0Rh0gZV0etGMu0co

seems to me its a potentionally lethal build but I'm not sure how much retridin get into mana troubles and how good crusder strike is in this point.
    My Rogue
    altoholic since 2000 (Diablo II release)

Re: Has anyone tried prot/retri?

Quote Originally Posted by Cocidius
    as in http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=sZxRt0Rh0gZV0etGMu0co

seems to me its a potentionally lethal build but I'm not sure how much retridin get into mana troubles and how good crusder strike is in this point.
    Your burst damage goes straight down the drain when you take away one of your only two instant attacks (the other being Judgement).

You're sacrificing 15% damage, 15% crit on judgements, 2 secs of judgement recharge, and half of your instant attacks to gain, basically, some stamina and Reckoning.

Not worth it.

Yeah, that used to be a fairly popular Reckoning/Retri build late s1. Not good for anything but BG tho, since all you have to do to gimp it is by not touching the paladin.

i could see this working in a war/ret/druid or war/ret/sham build where the retadin might be the first target. possibly in 2s with a rogue or mage where the retadin again is a target, but putting all your hopes in melee attacking your paladin is not the way to go.

possibly this build with a druid or sham in 2s would be interesting, where the healer kites all day and the pally is free to deal tons of dps, but even then it becomes more of an outlast type match without any healing debuff.

Why would you wanna go this spec anyways? Just go retri and get crusader strike =P

Quote Originally Posted by Azain
    possibly in 2s with a rogue or mage where the retadin again is a target, but putting all your hopes in melee attacking your paladin is not the way to go.
    Nobody nukes a paladin over a frost mage. That will leave a shitload of damage being thrown into your face while the paladin is standing in plain sight turtling.

Quote Originally Posted by Apocalyptic
    Nobody nukes a paladin over a frost mage. That will leave a shitload of damage being thrown into your face while the paladin is standing in plain sight turtling.
    depends on your combo. as war/healer do i want to waste all my time chasing a mage while the paladin beats on me or my healer, or sometimes do i want to turn and spend some of that rage on him (yes, its a warrior aggression thing). how about a rogue then to complete your point?

It's always more beneficial to go for the mage, reduces his dps by alot... where as going for a ret pally or you say a rogue will not reduce its damage that much.

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleA
    It's always more beneficial to go for the mage, reduces his dps by alot... where as going for a ret pally or you say a rogue will not reduce its damage that much.
    Agreed.

This Ret/Prot build is interesting on paper. It's actually something I even toyed around with in the Arena Tourney, but like the others mentioned, it just doesn't work in practice. Crusader Strike is really worth it. It's burst is so much more controllable.

Here is your build at 80 though!
    http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=sZVGkhMhdgZVfctG0uVIoz

Oh and unless you are a raiding Ret, Fanaticism really sucks for 5 points.