Page 1 of 2
LastLast

What Does "RNG" Stand For?

I've seen this acronym used quite a bit throughout these forums but really have no clue what it stands for.

Help? Thanks in advance.

Re: What Does "RNG" Stand For?

Random Number Generator.

really noob groups? lol.

RNG is a group that depends on random number generators...

massive crits ( resil), hamstring procs, conc procs, dodging/resisting CC, etc...

i think
    It's just a game.

Run and Gun

Quote Originally Posted by Inept
    Random Number Generator.
    This.

Yes, such as a 5 PoM pyro mage 5v5. If none of their Pyro's crit, they lose. RNG is also used by Mobs/Bosses (ie. will their attack miss, be blocked, parried etc. Basiclly a /roll system.

RNG is an algorithm that attempts to create 'random' scenarios from a list of options. Since computers cannot be truly random by nature, sometimes you get ridiculous things happening, such as no glaives for 9 months or whatever, or 3 in 3 kills.

It does have its good and bad points, on the plus side it adds an 'interesting' unknown element to the game. For example regarding loot, you never know what is going to drop until you kill the boss (discounting tier tokens, which are always vanq ).

If Blizz went away from RNG and instead used tokenised drops to provide all loot, it would, imo, be a lot less interesting as you knew 100% that an item you could trade in would drop from a certain boss.

Yeah, ppl complain about it til the cows come home, but imo it's the lesser of 2 evils so just live with it :>

Quote Originally Posted by pilch
    If Blizz went away from RNG and instead used tokenised drops to provide all loot, it would, imo, be a lot less interesting as you knew 100% that an item you could trade in would drop from a certain boss.
    Agreed, it would be like questing, just with harder mobs :-\

Anyway, RNG is Random Number Generator... It's a code designed to generate numbers as random as possible in order to make things more unpredictable. It's not just for loot, it's also for crits, hits, dodges, parries, etc...

Without a RNG, if you had let's say 30% dodge... you would get hit by a mob 7 times in a row and then dodge another 3 over and over... the pattern would repeat itself continually.

so next question.... What Does "PuG" Stand For?

Pickup Group.

Quote Originally Posted by ciola
    Pickup Group.
    ok thx... does ist mean rnd Grp oder something ? could u explain what a "Pickup Group" is ?

Quote Originally Posted by Dorim
    so next question.... What Does "PuG" Stand For?
    usually "pug" also means Players Under Geared

Quote Originally Posted by artemision
    usually "pug" also means Players Under Geared
    no it doesnt...

walker, texas RaNGer :>

Random Number Generator, also known as lolmacestun and blackout.
    Actually, Mr. Lennon, I CAN imagine a world with no hatred, religion, war, or violence.
    I can also imagine attacking such a world, because they would never see it coming.

http://mhkeehn.tripod.com/trashcan.jpg
    http://politicalhumor.about.com/libr...s/carville.jpe

For once, Carville was a man ahead of his time.

There are a lot of people that seem to think that someone in the LFG (that's "Looking For Group") queue that Blizzard has implemented is either:

a.) Undergeared
    b.) Doesn't know "how to play"
    c.) Isn't in a guild / has no "friends" (aka "loser", right?)

PuGs are looked down upon by many, because their epeen "dick"tates their WoW lives and f**ks up their perception (or something). :

I personally don't have the time or patience for those children and ignore them as well as anyone can do.

I've seen the full gamut of PuGs, however; pretty cool to see a "PuG" take Illidan down and all that. Truly, a PuG is much like how Forrest Gump described life: "... like a box of chocolates; you never know what you're going to get."

For those that don't keep an open mind about PuGs, you can go and migrate to a different game that gives a rat's ass about your views and opinions.

Quote Originally Posted by Geboran
    There are a lot of people that seem to think that someone in the LFG (that's "Looking For Group") queue that Blizzard has implemented is either:

a.) Undergeared

PuGs are looked down upon by many, because their epeen "dick"tates their WoW lives and f**ks up their perception (or something). :

I personally don't have the time or patience for those children and ignore them as well as anyone can do.

I've seen the full gamut of PuGs, however; pretty cool to see a "PuG" take Illidan down and all that. Truly, a PuG is much like how Forrest Gump described life: "... like a box of chocolates; you never know what you're going to get."

For those that don't keep an open mind about PuGs, you can go and migrate to a different game that gives a rat's ass about your views and opinions.

All of this crap and the fact remains: PuG players are guilty of being retarded until proven innocent, it's just the assumption you have to make because at least 75% of the time you will be right. Kinda like hunters
    Actually, Mr. Lennon, I CAN imagine a world with no hatred, religion, war, or violence.
    I can also imagine attacking such a world, because they would never see it coming.

http://mhkeehn.tripod.com/trashcan.jpg
    http://politicalhumor.about.com/libr...s/carville.jpe

For once, Carville was a man ahead of his time.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Geboran

a.) Undergeared

Of all the pugs ive been in ive NEVER met any good player in those, they always screw up some way, dont understand english, dont know what their spells does, put +hit (not spellhit) in their spelldmg gear, have retarded macros like "I SUMMON YOU XXXXX FROM THE DARK SHADOWS" etc.

So dont come here and say that pugs dont suck, its ok to generalize when the issue goes for 95% of the players in lfg.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Nørf
    Of all the pugs ive been in ive NEVER met any good player in those, they always screw up some way, dont understand english, dont know what their spells does, put +hit (not spellhit) in their spelldmg gear, have retarded macros like "I SUMMON YOU XXXXX FROM THE DARK SHADOWS" etc.

So dont come here and say that pugs dont suck, its ok to generalize when the issue goes for 95% of the players in lfg.
    I've met some people out of the LFG tool that are actually decent players, but those are greatly out numbered by the amount of idiots that I have found in it.

Quote Originally Posted by ÆONFLUX
    lawl. This made my f'n day. Thank you!