Page 1 of 2
LastLast

WowAce - So long, and thanks for all the fish

http://www.wowace.com/forums/index.php?topic=14316.0

In addition, WAU will, for the time being, be discontinued as well as it won't be receiving any new content. In the immediate, however, WowAce's content will be available via the new Curse Client that is in development.
    Hurray, because of money WowAce will now be Curse, and for a time , meaning months, as shit as curse is in it's current state.

Not to mention, the WAU is crashing because wdnaddons.com don't exist anymore.
    Which won't be fixed, resulting in the entire wowace repository more or less is unacceptable for a time.

Where do I find my addons now? *sigh*

Re: WowAce - So long and thanks for the fish

This cannot be happening...

"Death to all developers!" ? :s

Re: WowAce - So long and thanks for the fish

It apperently is, because Curse bought out the administrator of WowAce, and he convinced the other leaders to follow.

Curse is a site I connect with virus, shitty user added UI compilations and 3 year old outdated addons , along with Thottbot level "HUNTARD LEWT!!" comments. Not to mention their current "update" client is shit, and reminds more of some old Cosmos(Thottbot)/Allakhazam software.

What I liked about the WAU was that I could find a addon and install it with a single click, while on Curse you need to go though 5 fucking pages, and their search engine is basicly non working.

Plus the worst part, it got commercial interests, and is related to advertise funding!

Re: WowAce - So long, and thanks for all the fish

Pretty sure Wowmatrix and other such client programs are still out there.

Deleted

Curse-gaming is overrated... it sucks what the hell are we gonna do now?

Quote Originally Posted by Matsim
    <3 this program

-Matsim
    i agree...wowmatrix is the best updater/installer i've used so far

I just downloaded WowMatrix since you guys were praising it and I must agree. This program > WAU.
    Horde reconnaissance at best:

As far as the third party updaters, in the future we are looking at the possibility of having an api for third party updaters. However it'd be a feature for Premium users. I'm not sure of any timelines on when that'll become a reality and I can't promise anything, but I am working to get this pushed through.
    Premium users = Users that pay.

I sense a great disturbance in the force

WOW damn you wowace. But besides that man WowMatrix is nice never heard of it till today.

damn kaelten - damn curse
    may kaelten and curse fry in hell for that commerce they do with FREE Addons
    may kaelten and curse fry in hell for bringing shame on the *forge name that stands for promoting FREE and OPEN source software and not for premium user bullshit

Quote Originally Posted by HeyMonkeyFace
    i agree...wowmatrix is the best updater/installer i've used so far
    Wowmatrix suck compared to wowace. Ive got WAU aswell because wowmatrix doesnt update Ace addons very well. So therefore i allways ran wowmatrix THEN wowace.
    Everytime wowmatrix downgraded my ace addons

Unless you are prepared to fund the bandwidth costs for wowace.com I don't think you have the right to complain.

Quote Originally Posted by Windywoo
    Unless you are prepared to fund the bandwidth costs for wowace.com I don't think you have the right to complain.
    We can always whine and bitch, clearly you do not know the wow community
    Tho the thing that is disturbing is that it is going to curse.. the most shit thing ever made >_> Cant wowhead buy it or something?

Completely disgusted in this news.

Fair enough for Wowace to think about other options, but selling out to Curse is like selling your gaming company to EA.

If ACE addons are going to be pay to download, then curse can rot in hell.

I never use curse and nor will i EVER, its clunky trojan filled website, over used "pay for more access" methods, 10 year old posters on there forums "i r huntarz weapon huha!", there massively out dated addond section, hard to use and stupidly complicated for mod authors. Curse are just a greedy bunch of arseholes.

I hope for the love of god someone else decides to take another approach and allow what blizzard intended in the first place.

Free, massively accessible UI mods. Come on mmochamp, show us your ui mod site!!!

It doesn't sound like you will be paying to download addons with an updater. But anyone who wished to write their own updater to access the addons would have to pay.

Quote Originally Posted by Ashton
    Completely disgusted in this news.

Fair enough for Wowace to think about other options, but selling out to Curse is like selling your gaming company to EA.
    You do know that Curse has been funding Wowace for a long time? Without Curse Wowace wouldn't exist right now anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by septor
    You do know that Curse has been funding Wowace for a long time? Without Curse Wowace wouldn't exist right now anyways.
    If that was the case then why didn't they move a long time ago?

Quote Originally Posted by Ashton
    If that was the case then why didn't they move a long time ago?
    Did you even read the news post on the Wowace forums?

I just read a later post in the wowace thread and the updater will require you to pay if you want the same functionality wowaceupdater had. Doh!

There will be a free version too but with less features.

http://www.wowace.com/forums/index.p...topic=14316.80 about halfway down.

I suppose they have to do this to avoid the same thing happening as before.