Page 1 of 2
LastLast

WotLK PvE fire spec

Well I was looking at the new mage talents and then looked again at the (BC) spec on a mage that was in my previous guild (he had 5/8 T6 and the illidan staff), which occasionally topped dmg meters (right after our locks ).

And then I looked back at the new talents.
    Burnout seemed pretty good, execpt for those long bossfights, which then the mage will be "burnt out" of mana.
    Apart from that, fire spec didn't really have anything new to offer for PvE mages.
    Even arcane seemed to be potentially better now.

But then... I have found a solution!
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/talent/?...50310010000000

Look closely how I cheat the talent tree to give me burnout without the mana loss effect ;D
    Oh, and apart from that, you get +13% crit (arcane potency 1/3 is effectively equivalent to +1%), you get much more mana efficiency, +3% dmg, PoM and +15% intellect (which will yield even more crit).

Maybe there is hope for PvE fire after all?

Re: WotLK PvE fire spec

i would go with 4/5 emp fireball and 2/2 Spell power.

dunno why but i feel blizzard will move the talent further down into arcane too avoid people doing this:S

The problem here is that you are missing out on a ton of good/necessary talents (molten fury, incinerate, elemental precision especially).

Quote Originally Posted by Anobix
    The problem here is that you are missing out on a ton of good/necessary talents (molten fury, incinerate, elemental precision especially).
    Incineration isn't that good for fireball spamming.
    Molten fury is very good indeed, but your extra +25% crit dmg (or +50% like the guy above you suggested) can even that out I think.
    Elemental precision is also very good, however you get a +3% spell dmg which is the same mathematically, but even better because you can cap hit, but not dmg. So you can fill that 3% gap by stacking some more hit rating, but you can't have a +3% dmg attribute in gear (well, actually spellpower works like that but +3% dmg scales better)

do the maths u want ...
    Fire Mage is Dead from the start!!!
    Is time to all mages stop being jerks and reroll, or quit.
    And don't tell me the QQ stuff, just look @ hunters rogues locks trees and then look @ mages ones !!!
    The gap is getting bigger and bigger.

RandomTroll

Quote Originally Posted by koder
    do the maths u want ...
    Fire Mage is Dead from the start!!!
    Is time to all mages stop being jerks and reroll, or quit.
    And don't tell me the QQ stuff, just look @ hunters rogues locks trees and then look @ mages ones !!!
    The gap is getting bigger and bigger.
    Mages have always had blink - Warlock finally have a escape telport of their own
    Mages have always had iceblock - Warlock finally got an "oh sh*t" button of their own - demon form
    Mages have always had cone of cold - Warlock finally getting Cone of Shadow

The gap isnt getting bigger and bigger, warlocks are simply catching up on number of abilities they can use.

So yeah, your are QQ'ing for no reason

Additionally, Iceblock used to be a talented spell, much like Evocation, but that was even further back.
    If you set a man a flame, you keep him warm for a day. If you set a man aflame, you keep him warm for the rest of his life.

Water is Life

Quote Originally Posted by RandomTroll
    And in return warlocks are getting shadow nova (shadows make mellee stick to the floor), Shadow Shields which absoorb all damage, and Shadow Block which makes you immune to EVERYTHING.

Oh wait, no.
    You showed similarities in the spells warlock are receiving, and spells that mages already have. Someone points out that mages are getting nothing similar (other than a 10% chance to proc an instant spell in the arcane tree) to what locks have now, and you list a couple spells that remain mage only? So because warlocks didn't receive everything good mages have, nobody should complain about the handful they did get?

Not to mention everything you listed is still dispelable, and everything you received isn't.
    We don't really think we need more caster hate in the game right now. - GC

What most people don't understand yet is that the new fire talents are a huge DPS increase, if you stack critrating.

Yes, the talents would be mediocre if you still used the same gear and kept on stacking spelldamage or haste. But the new talents make critrating for fire mages a ton better than any other stat in the game. Honestly, as far as I can see and calculate so far a fire mage with 40% critchance which should be very doable if you focus completely on spellcrit, would be the top DPS class of WotLK.

Quote Originally Posted by player404
    Incineration isn't that good for fireball spamming.
    Molten fury is very good indeed, but your extra +25% crit dmg (or +50% like the guy above you suggested) can even that out I think.
    Elemental precision is also very good, however you get a +3% spell dmg which is the same mathematically, but even better because you can cap hit, but not dmg. So you can fill that 3% gap by stacking some more hit rating, but you can't have a +3% dmg attribute in gear (well, actually spellpower works like that but +3% dmg scales better)
    Drop 2% off that stupid playing with fire and get Molten fury. drop 1 pt of emp FB for +25% crit dmg from Spell Power.

But, tbqh it seems to me that deep fire is quite dead atm. WG - if it has no secret CD or diminishing retur - will simply rule all raiding builds. About 70% crit rating 70%+ of the with no gear is pretty interesting. couple it with 250% 225% crits or so (50% frost + 50% 25% sp power) or if going elementalist, FFB bolts. Low on mana - just spam triple dmg ILs (which may actually be the best DPS anyway). If it doesn't work quite this way - likely - even arcane is looking better.

We shall see though.

*note: corrected crit bonus values

Deep Fire is worthless. You're just wasting mana speccing it. The simple reason for this? Too much RNG bullshit.

Seems like you dont know anything about mages :<
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/talent/?...50300120000000
    This is the spec what you wanted to create.

It's sad that both the Deep Fire talents (41 Point and 51 Point) are completely worthless for PvE. =/

I think one of the best WotLK PvE speccs for mages will be something like

http://www.mmo-champion.com/talent/?...50330125230351

Deep arcane/frost.

From my experience a arcane mage nowadays does alot more dmg then a fire mage, if socketed and specced right

A arcane mage with 2/5 t5 setbonus socketed for intel and spirit using that mage armor thingy is insane, they never run out of mana and when they go alittle low they switch to frost bolt spam and regain, and then they go for the arcane blast spam again.

40/0/21 is said to be one of the best, but since the arcane barrage looks pretty nice i guess its worth taking

Im not a mage myself but from personal experience a arcane mage does loads of dmg.

This is what I see as the best PvE sepc:

http://www.mmo-champion.com/talent/?...00000000000000

Deep fire, double icy veins (points don't matter in frost, as long as you pick up IV and cold snap).

Burnout looks incredible. A really needed damage boost for mages.

Quote Originally Posted by Angon
    Seems like you dont know anything about mages :<
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/talent/?...50300120000000
    This is the spec what you wanted to create.
    Oh yeah, your'e right, I only noticed now how they changed (seems like a big nerf) emp. fireball.

Quote Originally Posted by player404
    Oh yeah, your'e right, I only noticed now how they changed (seems like a big nerf) emp. fireball.
    Wait, how did they nerf empowered fireball?

Well the first time I saw the mage changes i was kind of like: WTF, thats it?
    But then i began thinking about what you have been hearing from blizz, that
    they wanted to make mages the best aoe class again and maybe thats is what
    they are trying to do? We dont know how the bossfights are going to be at wolk
    and maybe you need a huge amount of aoe, if thats the case then world of flames
    and living bomb is going to help alot. I think we just need to get used to the fact
    that mages now rarely tops dmg meters in normal tank and spank fights, but atleast
    they can now again the best aoe class.

Deleted

Imo

If you want be the best aoe class on WOTLK, go full fire, imp fire strike + world in flames + burnout + hot streak will do a massive amount of damage.
    The fire AOE specc should be looking something like this http://www.mmo-champion.com/talent/?...00000000000000

If you wanna go 1 target nukage, deep arc/frost will do the job better.
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/talent/?...50330125200351
    Plain frostbolt spammage with a arcane barrage everytime the CD is up.