Need Advice - - Holy or Protection?!

Hello.

I need some advice on which path I should chose with my Pally. So far I've leveled up almost entirely as Protection and absolutely love it. However, I'm new to my server (US-Uther) and don't know many people, so I have to rely on pugs. From my experience thus far, most pugs seem to misunderstand how a pally tanks or simply breaks down. That's why I'm questioning whether or not I want to be a tank - apparently I don't have much patience.

I'm only 57 right now, but I'm thinking of changing my talent spec from Prot to Holy once I hit 60. I've had a few friends who claimed they leveled their Holy pallys from 60-70 in a much shorter time since most groups - especially pugs - won't turn down a healer. And while I admit my impatience will probably still be an issue for myself, I have to think that at the very least I can make sure the tank and DPS/CC don't die. If something goes wrong, it is most likely my fault. I have experience as a healer as well - leveled a holy priest and resto shammy on another server and began raiding with both before I left. I love healing and I hear being a Holy Pally is fun.

So that's my dilemma. I've leveled several characters to 70 before, but never have I had such a hard time figuring out what I should spec them as. Truth be told, I didn't become a pally to heal or to tank or to do menial damage, I just wanted to level one up. So now I'm stuck and need advice. Thanks.
    Guild Officers Blog: http://kotcofficer.blogspot.com/

Re: Need Advice - - Holy or Protection?!

I'd personally go for tanking. In wotlk when you have healbot healing will still be pretty easy, but we are seeing some very nice things for Prot. Blizz has stated that aggro will no longer be an issue, so as long as you have the gear, no one will be saying they want a Warrior instead. It really depends on what you want to do, but I believe you always find tanking more engaging and interesting than healing.

Also, it's always harder to find a tank than it is a healer. ^_^

Thanks for the advice, I think I will stay Prot. And to think, now if I wear cloth armor I'm no longer considered an important member of the party, just a weird guy who runs around in a dress.
    Guild Officers Blog: http://kotcofficer.blogspot.com/

Haha, good point.

Having healed a fair bit (up through SSC content) and tanked a ludicrous amount (before tbc, every 60 raid through 4 horse in Naxx on 2 toons, TBC through SSC and TK on 3, and that's to say nothing of prior games) I've got a not-so-subtle bias in favor of tanking. Take my advice with a grain of salt.

Tanking is the most engaging, challenging, and interesting role I've found in MMO's. The tactical awareness required to really shine as a tank keeps things interesting. There's a strange Tao to it that I just don't get playing as dps or healing.

If you were shooting for Azeroth or TBC raiding, I'd throw a ton of caveats in at this point. Since it's unlikely you'll be hitting 70, finishing your gear grind, and spending enough time raiding to hit the "burnout wall" before Wrath drops and everything goes out the window (and changes for the better, especially as far as tanks are concerned), screw the caveats. Tank your heart out.
    Wow Forum accomplishment: autobanned for using the following phrase:
    My therapist notes my intrapersonal skills suffer from love of the grape.

Holy > Rest

Both..!

Boo healing! Yay tanking! lol ;D

I play every Paladin spec very often in both Arena and PvE, and I definately agree with Gestalt. Tanking will always leave you feeling more satisfied with what you've done. I may be a little biased, but that's my oppinion.

Also, there is a certain vanity of always being the guy everyone is looking at. ^_^

i would much rather pull in a damn good pally tank over a single targeting warrior ANYDAY.

I think anyone who likes to do regular instances loves a good Protection Paladin a lot! They do tons of aggro and can hold many mobs, so me being a Mage love them because I can do a bit of AoE without having to worry about pulling mobs. ;D

Quote Originally Posted by Swiftero
    I think anyone who likes to do regular instances loves a good Protection Paladin a lot! They do tons of aggro and can hold many mobs, so me being a Mage love them because I can do a bit of AoE without having to worry about pulling mobs. ;D
    Haha, I agree. Its so frustrating to not be allowed to cast Chain Lightning because the Warrior cant hold aggro on more than one target. Eliminating Chain Lightning from my cast sequence is a substantial drop even in single target dps. >.<

Paladins for life! ^_^