Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast

Re: Pot nerf, (restricted to 1 pot for a boss?)

One of the issues with not being able to regenerate mana through multiple potion consumptions rests on the shoulders of the % based spell costs. Granted Death Knights, Hunters, Shadow Priests, Shamans, Druids etc can provide mana to their groups. But with polymorph being 12% of your base mana I forsee a rise in the amount of mages that will refuse to resheep targets for fear of going OOM. Not to mention that this change kicks arcane mages right in the buns, and with that being one of the better looking trees at the moment (synergy with fire talents in the new build ftw) it makes me wonder how it will all work out. That being said with some of the gear peices that have been displayed with tons and tons of spirit on-board we might all be regenerating mana faster than we can spend it...bahhahah. Too bad we can't wand-spec anymore...that may be our only sustained dps option.

Might also be another way of reducing gear. Now everyone really needs to focus on MP5 and spirit. Healer and clothy DPSers all wearing the same stuff.

Variety is the spice of life.....

....er i mean is wasteful.

Quote Originally Posted by Herbo
    But with polymorph being 12% of your base mana I forsee a rise in the amount of mages that will refuse to resheep targets for fear of going OOM.
    That would be a terrible idea on the mages part. Who do you think the sheep will go after first? Believe me when I say no tank or healer will help a mage that refuses to re-sheep.

I assume their making it so it's not required for progression that you use 4-5 stacks of mana pots for a raid night, which can get expensive after a while. I suppose it's also so you don't have undergeared healers able to heal a raid that's far out of their grasp.

Yeah i've seen alot of stuff since they started releasing WotLK that points to Spirit as being a major change to the game. While blizz claims that it wont be anything like the reworking of Stam in TBC it is more than likely going to be something that players require.

In reference to the pot sickness, it sucks, but obviously Blizz has some plan which will balance this. They are questionable to say the least at times, but this is something they cant really screw up and still have the game work. Raid wide totems, an evocation for pallies and priests, frost mages pets now healing party members, these are all things I think that blizz is planning on relying on a little more than individuals having to pop pots whenever the CD is up.

Quote Originally Posted by Inept
    I assume their making it so it's not required for progression that you use 4-5 stacks of mana pots for a raid night, which can get expensive after a while. I suppose it's also so you don't have undergeared healers able to heal a raid that's far out of their grasp.
    yeah I actually think, if all the class mechanics and synergy works out they way they are hoping, this will actually be a nice way to cut down on using a ton of pots.

to bad that priest wont get a evocation spell, or atleast a rank2 shadowfiend
    and since all classes seems to get aoe heals it will probably be alot of aoe dmg in all fights that kills the shadowfiend before its even fully summoned

hopefully they wont make many resistance gear or resistance pot fights, would kinda suck to have a fight where u need resistance pots to survive a attack and then only be able to use 1 pot

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Aetius
    Yeah i've seen alot of stuff since they started releasing WotLK that points to Spirit as being a major change to the game. While blizz claims that it wont be anything like the reworking of Stam in TBC it is more than likely going to be something that players require.

In reference to the pot sickness, it sucks, but obviously Blizz has some plan which will balance this. They are questionable to say the least at times, but this is something they cant really screw up and still have the game work. Raid wide totems, an evocation for pallies and priests, frost mages pets now healing party members, these are all things I think that blizz is planning on relying on a little more than individuals having to pop pots whenever the CD is up.
    /nod

There are so many new changes that will be affecting mana regen that it appears that pots are going to be an "oh shit button" so to speak. Also, it's pretty early to be going and saying this is going to screw people over (all the spriests posting). Yeah sometimes I feel blizzard does some dumb things but I highly doubt they will let a change in the amount of mana pots you can use completely destroy a classes ability to perform.

See all of those new mana regen talents in just about every class?

Use 'em.

Blizz is trying to cut down on how profitable alchemy is... ever see a raid go through 150 mana pots in a night? Ever see the profit made by the person selling 'em?

Yeah, it's ridiculous.
    This user has been banned.
    But no longer!
    (I have no idea how either happened. Don't ask.)

Remember this is just beta, they throw in these kind of things to test and see what's best for the expansion. i'm all for this change if it does happen, makes players have to use skill and not rely on as many consumables.

Don't forget raid wide totems now too, another helpful addition to mana regen. This won't be nearly as bad as people are QQ'ing about...

Blizzard isn't going to make a fight that requires you to use more than one pot, there's a way around it, people will just have to play to find out.

Quote Originally Posted by Raven
    to bad that priest wont get a evocation spell, or atleast a rank2 shadowfiend
    just using you as an example cuz another priest was qq-ing on another thread

spriests also get an ability that refreshes your SW:P? Does that not cost a shit-ton of mana to keep up during a fight?

...they take, they give...

Yeah this could easily be seen as a buff to the game, once all things are considered.

One hopeful thing that this change might point to is more interactive instance/raid encounters. I enjoy event style encounters with various NPC's and interactive elements required for victory (CoT was ftw all around here, as well as Kalecgos imo). The more actual fun Bliz puts into encounters the more we all might actually want to go back to an instance even after we've plundered them of all the gear they offer. That stacked with a lot of the new in-combat mana regeneration talents, spells, auras etc etc...This might be a change that we all didn't even know we needed. A removal of the training wheels so to speak.

As far as the effect on Alchemy goes? Only time will tell. Certainly potion mastery will be useless but we'll have a whole new batch of elixir/flask recipes and x-mutes to play around with. Aside from jewelcrafting, if you use any crafting professions as a main source of game income you're doing it wrong anyway. Gathering profs and item speculation will always be the cornerstone of the WoW economy.

Quote Originally Posted by Bucketojoy

Use 'em.
    This requires Blizzard to fix the mana cost of the new ranks for some classes. Shaman healing spells, for example, have their mana costs more than doubled from level 70 to 80. One tier 3 mana efficiency talent won't make up for both that and the nerf to mana potions.

Quote Originally Posted by Herbo
    Aside from jewelcrafting, if you use any crafting professions as a main source of game income you're doing it wrong anyway. Gathering profs and item speculation will always be the cornerstone of the WoW economy.
    You underestimate the amount of money you can make with crafting professions alone; buying mats, crafting, reselling. Currently my priest has a bit of extra income from making netherweave bags. ~5g profit per bag made, and I can sell as many as I can be bothered to make. At lvl59 I realized I was a few hundred gold short of my epic mount. I earned it overnight just with tailoring. Just after TBC was released, I profited greatly on my shaman from the simple Knothide Leather Scraps -> Knothide Leather -> Heavy Knothide Leather chain; I'm talking hundreds of gold per day, consistently, until I had my epic flyer.
    Diplomacy is just war by other means.

This nerf sucks for shadowpriests; given current mana pots it provides 100 mp5.

Shadowpriests new 51 pointer Dispersion would require the player to have a 25,000 mana pool for it to be better than pots mana-wise.

Quote Originally Posted by Dje
    It's mainly a healer/caster problem than a melee one. Health potions can always help but rarely change the fights, whereas fighting with only one mana potion would kill a lot of classes in the current system.
    Last I checked we were discussing Wrath of the Lich King Beta, not the current system.

Quote Originally Posted by Bucketojoy

Use 'em.

Blizz is trying to cut down on how profitable alchemy is... ever see a raid go through 150 mana pots in a night? Ever see the profit made by the person selling 'em?

Yeah, it's ridiculous.
    are you serious? you have to farm mats to make money off alchemy, and farming mats for 150 mana pots and selling them isn't worth the time. right now mana pots are a like 12-15g a stack on my server, which doesn't even cover the cost of mats if you buy them and make a ton with procs. at 15g x 30, you get 450 gold. it can take a lot longer than 1 hour to farm those mats.

ie , not worth it

Quote Originally Posted by Marrakech
    This nerf sucks for shadowpriests; given current mana pots it provides 100 mp5.
    Shadowpriests new 51 pointer Dispersion would require the player to have a 25,000 mana pool for it to be better than pots mana-wise.
    i wouldn't judge this change until i could experience the new manareg mechanics...

and the last time i checked, most sp chain pot destro pots in endgame... would be a dps nerf and not a mana issue.. (and the encounters will be designed with pot sickness in mind... so: less farming)

I approve of this. As a warlock i find myself chaining mana pots on progression nights. I use a sheeet lot of mana pots in your average raiding week. So, more money in the pocket.

Secondly, potions should be a Oh shi- button. accidentaly stand in fire?!!? pop a health pot! Heroism drums trinket macro now includes your pot of choice for that last 10%! compared to the current "i eat potions every 2 minutes and hope i get healed when i take damage" model.
    Lag - Network related. High server response time, stop downloading.
    Low FPS - Your computer can't keep up with the game - buy a better one

Dalaran doesn't lag (often) your pc just sucks.

RIP Paul Gray

flammable

It makes sense... paladins are getting an evocate type ability.

Seems this will increase the demand for shadow priests and really stress a reduction in overhealing by healers.