What exactly is Blood Strike good for?

So, i see you start off with Blood Strike, and there is a starting relic slot item for Blood Strike, and lots of abilities that improve Blood Strike, but where does this strike fit in? Frost Strike is obviously the tanking strike, while i hear Obliterate is the end all say all DPS ability. So what is Blood Strike good for?

Re: What exactly is Blood Strike good for?

Its probably one of the only useful spells that cost only 1 blood rune (and nothing else)

i think its just a sort of change if your bored of obliterate because other than that
    i cant see a huge use for it. butzephyr did make a good point of its runecost which makes
    it more of a back up incase you need to get the last spirt of dmg out before your killed.

The thing about obliterate is that when you use it, it consumes all the diseases you got on the target (you can talent this so there is a 90% chance it won't consume the diseases, 'annhilation, tier 3 in the frost tree'). So obliterate is more a finisher than a general dps skill. You want to keep as many diseases up at all time since you'll do more damage that way. Point is, Blood Strike is your main dps skill, whereas Obliterate is more a finisher when you don't care if the diseases is on the mob after the strike.
    Personally, I solely use Blood Strike, I touch Obliterate once a day while playing if at all.

Malm <Apex> @ EU-Al'Akir

Stream: http://www.twitch.tv/malmlive

Quote Originally Posted by Malm
    The thing about obliterate is that when you use it, it consumes all the diseases you got on the target (you can talent this so there is a 90% chance it won't consume the diseases, 'annhilation, tier 3 in the frost tree'). So obliterate is more a finisher than a general dps skill. You want to keep as many diseases up at all time since you'll do more damage that way. Point is, Blood Strike is your main dps skill, whereas Obliterate is more a finisher when you don't care if the diseases is on the mob after the strike.
    Personally, I solely use Blood Strike, I touch Obliterate once a day while playing if at all.
    if only rogues could talent envenom not eating it

obliterate is being changed to a 1 unholy, 1 frost rune cost

there's where blood strike hops in, to use your blood runes

plague strike is also being changed to a single unholy rune

which basically means every death knight(except blood death knights) will be using blood strike twice per rotation
    (apparently heart strike is being changed so it can replace blood strike for deep blood death knights, remains to be seem how much better it'll be)

yes, blizzard is planning to fix blood strike vs obliterate by allowing us to use them both in our rotations