Consecration, AoE Tankadins, 3.0 and beyond

Consecration, at rank 4, has a 95.x% coefficient. With 1H spec, this pushes it to 100%. With ranks 5 and 6, it's already at 100%.

I looked up Consecration on various WotLK sites (wiki, WoWhead, etc) and saw something unnerving. Consecration was shown as doing this damage:

[8*(x+0.04*SP+0.04*AP)]

Is consecration being "nerfed" to a 4% coefficient on spell damage, and an additional 4% from attack power? Or am I misreading something?

EDIT: Clarified the math.
    I stream many games! WoW, SC2, TF2, old SNES games and mods, and many more! Find my stream here! I also upload many of my stream VODs and many offline recordings (usually of SC2 casts) to my YouTube, found here!. Follow, subscribe, and thanks!

Re: Consecration, AoE Tankadins, 3.0 and beyond

Pallie spells and judgments are going to be based on Spell power and attack power now, to help out Ret pallies.. So yeah, that's probably the correct coefficient now.

95% to 4%? Doesn't seem like a small slam for that one spell? In essence, it kills our AoE-tanking abilities. I'm very happy for ret getting so many buffs, but I don't want to lose the tank-title of AoE king. :-\
    I stream many games! WoW, SC2, TF2, old SNES games and mods, and many more! Find my stream here! I also upload many of my stream VODs and many offline recordings (usually of SC2 casts) to my YouTube, found here!. Follow, subscribe, and thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Iselian
    95% to 4%? Doesn't seem like a small slam for that one spell? In essence, it kills our AoE-tanking abilities. I'm very happy for ret getting so many buffs, but I don't want to lose the tank-title of AoE king. :-\
    Strength is the new threat stat for paladins. We will no longer be focusing on spell damage. Every single piece of plate tanking gear currently in the expansion has a ton of strength. Our judgements and our 51-point talent all use attack power.

This change, despite what the above poster said, is purely for protection paladins. I don't know the mechanics of ret paladins, but I doubt that these changes will have much, if any effect on them.

This is not a nerf, our AOE tanking ability remains intact. In fact, it's probably much improved.
    Grand Crusader Belloc <-- 6608 Endless Tank Proving Grounds score! (
    Dragonslayer Kooqu

95% to 4%? Doesn't seem like a small slam for that one spell? In essence, it kills our AoE-tanking abilities. I'm very happy for ret getting so many buffs, but I don't want to lose the tank-title of AoE king. Undecided
    0.4 isn't 4%, it is 40%

The skill was taking 95% of the spell damage before
    Now it gets 40% of the spell damage and 40% of the attack power.

I think it's a good deal as i guess attack power will be anyway higher than spell damage for a palatank ;D

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by Darkozz
    0.4 isn't 4%, it is 40%

The skill was taking 95% of the spell damage before
    Now it gets 40% of the spell damage and 40% of the attack power.

I think it's a good deal ;D
    look at the op again
    its 0,04 not 0,4

Again, seeing that str is the new way to go, but the question still remains: Is consecration getting a significant nerf? Or will we still be AoE-tanking top?

look at the op again
    its 0,04 not 0,4
    D'ho :-X

You're right, my fault :-\

Again, seeing that str is the new way to go, but the question still remains: Is consecration getting a significant nerf? Or will we still be AoE-tanking top?
    This is not a nerf. By the time people are wearing level 80 gear, it'll be a big buff.

1 STR = 2 Attack Power. 2 STR = 1 Block Value. My Shield of the Righteous is already hitting for 1.3k (which, I imagine means that it's doing 2.6k threat) and that's with level 70 gear.

Protection Paladins have received absolutely nothing but buffs in the expansion.
    Dragonslayer Kooqu

[8*(x+.04*SP+.04*AP)]

it says 8 x 0.04, so basicly is .32 spell damage and .32 ap

It's significant buff for protection paladins, because the only source of spelldamage in wotlk is your stamina. On the other side, your gear will have loads of strength, so overall threat output will greatly increase

Quote Originally Posted by Menergy
    [8*(x+.04*SP+.04*AP)]

it says 8 x 0.04, so basicly is .32 spell damage and .32 ap
    The "x" is a base number that changes with each rank, not a multiplier.

Quote Originally Posted by kuku2
    This is not a nerf. By the time people are wearing level 80 gear, it'll be a big buff.

1 STR = 2 Attack Power. 2 STR = 1 Block Value. My Shield of the Righteous is already hitting for 1.3k (which, I imagine means that it's doing 2.6k threat) and that's with level 70 gear.

Protection Paladins have received absolutely nothing but buffs in the expansion.
    I know the shield will be hitting hard, and the Hammer o' Righteous will be, but those aren't more than 3 targets. When Tidewalker's Murlocs come rushing out, will I be able to hold them?

Yes, you'll be able to hold them. I've been AOE tanking several pulls at once in the WotLK instances with no issues.
    Dragonslayer Kooqu

Consecration, at rank 4, has a 95.x% coefficient. With 1H spec, this pushes it to 100%. With ranks 5 and 6, it's already at 100%.

I looked up Consecration on various WotLK sites (wiki, WoWhead, etc) and saw something unnerving. Consecration was shown as doing this damage:

[8*(x+0.04*SP+0.04*AP)]

Is consecration being "nerfed" to a 4% coefficient on spell damage, and an additional 4% from attack power? Or am I misreading something?

EDIT: Clarified the math.
    math works like this. 8x + .32SP + .32AP.... so its .32 SP. not .04... also, if youve been watching prot pally stuff, looks like they are trying to force warrior gear on us. so we'll have a ton of AP anyway

Furthermore, if Prot Paladins are having any issues where I, or any other prot paladins feel that they aren't performing as well as they should, we'll be submitting reports for it. This is still the beta, so it's best to be patient.
    Dragonslayer Kooqu

Quote Originally Posted by Bisley
    math works like this. 8x + .32SP + .32AP.... so its .32 SP. not .04... also, if youve been watching prot pally stuff, looks like they are trying to force warrior gear on us. so we'll have a ton of AP anyway
    Check two posts above; the "x" is a variable, not a multiplier. Still a 4% coefficient. But if kuku2 is testifying from beta, I'll be happy to go with raw experience. Thank you.

Check two posts above; the "x" is a variable, not a multiplier. Still a 4% coefficient. But if kuku2 is testifying from beta, I'll be happy to go with raw experience. Thank you.
    Beta it is
    http://members.cox.net/lucid003/WoWS...208_170856.jpg

Dragonslayer Kooqu

[8*(x+0.04*SP+0.04*AP)]

The 8 is there

So everything inside the brackets "(x+0.04*SP+0.04*AP)" will be multiplied by 8, basic algebra. Effectivly is .32

Edit: now that i think about it, the 8 symbolizes the ammount of ticks it has. so it DOES have a 4% co-efficent, just for each TICK not the entire spell, so its really not that bad.

currently, Consecration has a 95% Coeffecient, on the whole spell, now it will have a 32% Co-efficient from SD and a 32% from AP, meaning, you will see very little change, and possibly an increase, with the crazy nature of the new Paladin Tanking gear. (read, warrior gear)

EDIT : EXAMPLE : If you have 1500 Sta, and 1400 Attack Power (Not unlikely, with the amount of Str and Sta on current WotL tanking gear.) you would have 500 SD And 32% of that 500 is 150'ish damage, and 1400 Attack power, is roughly the equivalent of 460 SD, meaning, that with 1500 Sta, 1400 Attack power, you'd have about the same as 615'ish SD gives you now.