Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Healing Factor - Mana

I'll start off with the 3 major healing classes and their greatest heals

DRUID - Heals a friendly target for 2234 to 2494 and another 2345 over 21 sec.
    1040 Mana, 40 yd range, 2 sec cast
    PRIEST - Greater Heal
    Rank 9 78 A slow casting spell that heals a single target for 3950 to 4590.
    1290 Mana, 40 yd range, 3 sec cast
    PALA - Holy Light
    Rank 13 80 Heals a friendly target for 4888 to 5444.
    1880 Mana, 40 yd range, 2.5 sec cast

Indeed the paladin spell is the most powerful burst heal , but the mana cost is simply way out of the page . An average 70 paladin has around..10k mana lets say . he can dish about 12 heals , not taking into account crits .
    A level 80 paladin , we can safely suppose his average mana pool is 15k ?(although i realy doubt such a great increase) . This leaves room for...um .. 8 heals !
    Although healing output is not really comparable , efficiency drops by 30% + .

I find it a very expensive spell that does little over twice the level 70 max holy light for 400 mana more then 2 max level 70 holy lights ! Hell , the aoe spell becomes quite decent in cost now O_O
    I find the priest mana cost more reasonable , atleast it should be close to it .
    Is it just me that finds the mana cost too big ?

Re: Healing Factor - Mana

Mana pool of 15k? How about 20k? More likely

There is already a post talking about the mana costs of paladin's spells.

http://www.mmo-champion.com/index.php?topic=12152.0

Blizzard also stated that
    Quote Originally Posted by Blizzard
    Like I promised, the paladin changes were more sweeping than most changes. As such, it's going to take us some time to go through a second pass on the abilities and get everything polished up enough to evaluate the shiny, new paladin. I expect we'll be a lot more active on this forum when that happens.

Also, I believe that you were using Regrowth as the druid's "greatest heal," but Healing Touch actually heals for more.

Healing Touch, lvl 79, Heals a friendly target for 4375 to 5165. 1400 Mana, 40 yd range, 3.5 sec cast.

It's somewhat comparable to the Paladin's heal. Also, Blues have already posted that the mana cost of spells in Wotlk will be addressed.

I have to agree, just look at the extream jump in cost from rank 11 -> 12!

Holy Light Rank 11
    840 Mana
    40 yd range
    2.5 sec cast
    Heals a friendly target for 2196 to 2446

Holy Light
    Rank 12
    1585 Mana
    40 yd range
    2.5 sec cast
    Heals a friendly target for 4199 to 4677.

The healing it dose in increased by about double but that is alot of mana to dish out.

Your like trying to compaire Shadowbolt to Fireball to Wrath to Aimed shot - its pointless.
    If every class had the same mana cost and efficency then different class's would be pointless.

its also beta time and they did state things are changing....

no more needs to be said

YOu have also forgotten the amount of +healing every calss will get and if it scales the same way it does now i dont really see any problem since our mana pool and regen rates will be much larger anyway

Quote Originally Posted by djx
    I'll start off with the 3 major healing classes and their greatest heals
    There are 4 healing classes in WoW. Let me guess, the Shaman numbers didn't match up to you "they're out to get us!" theory?

Quote Originally Posted by Guran
    There are 4 healing classes in WoW. Let me guess, the Shaman numbers didn't match up to you "they're out to get us!" theory?
    osry ill start a rant about chain heal being op in a second : or not . hug your main AOE heal and go away <3 . i was comparing to traditional single target healers

gieb mana cost slashes ! ;D

wotlk will have MORE mana,MORE mp5...if u don't need a 5k base healing spell with "huge"mana cost....use lower ranks?
    i think paladins are gonna be more alot like priests...less spam,more brain.

Originally Posted by Koraa (Blue Tracker)
    We'd like to note that we are currently in the process of revamping the mana cost of new spells, abilities and the new ranks of spells and abilities in the expansion. We are aware players feel the mana cost of certain abilities is too high, and we agree. Though I can't really go into much detail yet as the actual specifics of what's changing is still being debated internally, be rest assured your voice on the issue has been heard and it is one of our top priorities right now.

We've found the feedback from the players in Alpha and Beta to be more constructive and helpful than ever, and we hope that you continue to give feedback on your experiences in the beta. (Source)
    Close the thread?

[size=14pt]Read the: Paladin - Frequently Asked Questions[/size]

If you are going to make an accurate comparison you need to include all healers not just the ones that make your point.

Healing Wave Rank 14
    Heals 3034 to 3466 for 1600 mana

Using only the single target direct heals

Druid - 4375 to 5165 for 1400 mana 3.5 second cast = 3.4 health per mana (avg)
    Priest - 3950 to 4590 for 1290 mana 3 second cast = 3.31 health per mana (avg)
    Paladin - 4888 to 5444 for 1880 mana 2.5 second cast = 2.75 health per mana (avg)
    Shaman - 3034 to 3466 for 1600 mana 3 second cast = 2.03 health per mana (avg)

Seems that your mana cost does't look so bad when seeing the shaman one.

To me it looks more like Paladins are sacrificing efficiency for a shorter cast time and a larger heal. Why should a spell that will heal more and cast faster have as much mana efficiency as a slower spell that heals for less?

Of course all of this completely disregards talents, Spellpower and such. This of course also has a drastic impact on healing and mana cost.

In regard to the chain healing comment, has it escaped your attention that chain heal has not received an upgrade in the expansion? If you spend some time looking at the talents, blizzard is making it clear that they do not expect shamans to be spamming chain heal anymore and are making them make use of the single target heals.

um in case you dont know the pallies get a .5 second boost on cast time of that spell in their talent tree. .5 seconds is a big freaking deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Rawberry
    Originally Posted by Koraa (Blue Tracker)
    We'd like to note that we are currently in the process of revamping the mana cost of new spells, abilities and the new ranks of spells and abilities in the expansion. We are aware players feel the mana cost of certain abilities is too high, and we agree. Though I can't really go into much detail yet as the actual specifics of what's changing is still being debated internally, be rest assured your voice on the issue has been heard and it is one of our top priorities right now.

We've found the feedback from the players in Alpha and Beta to be more constructive and helpful than ever, and we hope that you continue to give feedback on your experiences in the beta. (Source)
    Close the thread?
    you quoted something that is OLD . mana adjustments have ALREADY been made to one certain spell (100 mana reduction , 30 yrd increase range of beacon of light ; some hunter shot got decreased mana cost , mage shield aswell ..) revamp my ...ahem but its not done yet ..offtopic..

Quote Originally Posted by metzin
    If you are going to make an accurate comparison you need to include all healers not just the ones that make your point.

Healing Wave Rank 14
    Heals 3034 to 3466 for 1600 mana
    i was realy expecting this to be posted . well you know your chain heal ends sometimes for huge values ? [wowwiki :

(plus 5/7 = 71.4% bonus from +heal gear)
    /] 'compare' that with fol given youll use it on one target and the results are similar . :P
    at what mana cost and spellcast? you cant really demand to be even close to a paladin , while the priest is the excel healer

the only fair comparison for now is taking the bc coeficients ; 71.4 % holy light , 84% greater heal as in +healing bonuses . i dont expect and wouldnt find it normal , for a paly to have a bigger bonus from healing for the spell then a priest , but i mentioned it just to further consolidate the idea that there is like a BIG 600 mana difference for a maximum 900 more powerful heal , in the condition that the paladin heal is 0.6 less efficient per mana point . [and spends mana faster given the shorter cast time]
    Quote Originally Posted by metzin
    In regard to the chain healing comment, has it escaped your attention that chain heal has not received an upgrade in the expansion? If you spend some time looking at the talents, blizzard is making it clear that they do not expect shamans to be spamming chain heal anymore and are making them make use of the single target heals.
    hop in the boat of change , it seems max rank holy light spam is far from affordable

LE:

no , im discussing just about this particular spell . there can't be any accurate debate regarding the mana issue , its obvious how the above mentioned classes make a longer use of their mana .

From a healing viewpoint the cost just forces to use holy light rarely because of its prohibitive cost , in favor to the fol spam .

rawberry keep your impressions about me out of the topic. what ive said failed to hint you that the zerg paste didnt serve any purpose and i was aware of it since the day it went public .

If you talk about the mana issues of healing classes please think about their skills to regenerate mana. This will be more important in the future cause of only 1 pot per fight.

Shaman has high costs but got two totems, shield..

Quote Originally Posted by djx
    you quoted something that is OLD .
    Aye, three days old. I'm quite sure they managed to change the mana cost for all spells by now!

Are you dense?

[size=14pt]Read the: Paladin - Frequently Asked Questions[/size]

Quote Originally Posted by Eima
    If you talk about the mana issues of healing classes please think about their skills to regenerate mana. This will be more important in the future cause of only 1 pot per fight.

Shaman has high costs but got two totems, shield..
    And paladins got.....what? Oh, what, an evocate? THE DEVIL YOU SAY.
    Actually, Mr. Lennon, I CAN imagine a world with no hatred, religion, war, or violence.
    I can also imagine attacking such a world, because they would never see it coming.

http://mhkeehn.tripod.com/trashcan.jpg
    http://politicalhumor.about.com/libr...s/carville.jpe

For once, Carville was a man ahead of his time.

Ummmm, I dueled a guildie holy pally and when i got him low health he bubbled and 1 heal got him back to very close to full health using very little mana so Im really not seeing any problem. There will be more mana and mana regen too so hgier mana costs. Int might be the stam of tbc.

Any way you look at this, comparing the large single target heal between classes is comparing apples to oranges. There are far to many other aspects of the game and class that effect this as well. However, since mana regeneration was mentioned lets look at that for a second.

However if you want to look into mana regeneration.

Yes shamans have totems and water shield. Oh course Paladins have Blessing of Wisdom and Divine Plea (sure 5 minute cool down but that’s 50% of your mana in 6 seconds). So lets look at this, Divine Plea vs Water shield since both Pal and Sham can both make use of totems and blessings. Lets say you have 12K mana, so in 6 seconds once every 5 minutes you can regenerate 6K mana. The Shaman with watershield at 50 mp5. Over the same 5 minutes, the shaman will gain 3K mana. Keep in mind, the more mana you have, the better Divine Plea gets. It is safe to assume that at 80, 12K will not be a large number. With talents shamans can make more use out of the water shield, however not to the extent of divine plea.

That looks to me like Paladins have a decent source of mana regeneration.

I haven't tried the other heal classes but I have a 70 paladin with 15798 mana in 10/25 mans with (depending on classes) 32-36% fol crit and 35-40% hl crit with 60% of mana returned on crit and things like wisdom and spriest in group I rarely need a mana pot