Alchemy Mastery - Which one to pick?

I am leveling an alt in Alchemy and trying to decide what mastery will be better to have in WotLK. The toon is a PVP lock. My main is a raiding pally. So i do use alot of flasks and pots. But i want to make money also.

Do you think alot of people will drop Alchemy so that the prices will go up on flasks and pots? Or doing transmute is going to be the best way to make money still.

Re: Alchemy Mastery

A good question, but hard to answer.

Server economies vary a great deal, but there are several things to consider for WotLK:

On one hand, we have the Potion Sickness effect, meaning that you WILL see the demand for pots drop - unless they make pots stack to 20 or have the Potion Mastery proc more often than the other Masteries, you won't see too many Potion Masters around.

On the other hand, plenty of players will be rerolling DKs. The sudden influx of level 58s into Outland means a good demand for certain TBC flasks/elixirs and the mats to make them.

The Alchemist Blood Buff proposed in WotLK encourages Alchys to use flasks/pots, so you may see more demand for pots/elixirs/flasks. Likely, you'll more Alchy players w/out Herbalism, so mats might become more expensive.

Finally, consider that the Herbalism Int buff will cause casters to move slightly into that profession while non-casters (Warriors/Rogues/DKs) would be discouraged from taking up Herbalism.

Sorry I can't give you a definitive answer, but I don't think anyone can. I'd recommend sticking with your profession until after WotLK comes out - when the server economy settles down a bit.

As the poster above says, it's hard to say. Another thing to consider is, that Blizzard may chose to make the herbs required for various pots harder tp get than what we've seen previously, and that way balancing the whole "Potion Sickness" deal. Meaning a potion master would still be very valuable simply because the herbs are a pain to get.

Then there's the whole Inscription deal. I'm aware that's not really your question, but my point is that you may not be able to make a whole lot of gold on alchemy, but on herbalism, and then simply have alchemy for the extra buff you get.

ok why does blizz hate alchemy?

first in TBC there is the huge nerf to alchemists by making it so everyone can only have 2 elixirs active at any given time.... granted they adjusted bosses to that. whatever

now in LK they are nerfing the shit outta potion alchemists by not allowing people to chain pots

wtf

Quote Originally Posted by thunderdome
    ok why does blizz hate alchemy?

first in TBC there is the huge nerf to alchemists by making it so everyone can only have 2 elixirs active at any given time.... granted they adjusted bosses to that. whatever

now in LK they are nerfing the shit outta potion alchemists by not allowing people to chain pots

wtf
    It has been mentioned before in the Official Beta Forums that Blizz is trying to remove the requirement of having to be fully buffed up to do endgame raids - people were not happly having to farm ungodly amounts of herbs to get all the pots needed for a raid.

Imagine for a moment pre TBC, pre-elixir limit - the amount of mats required to multi-elixir buff everyone in a 40-man raid multiple times (assuming wipes). This is one of many reasons why end-game raid content were so unaccessible by the vast majority of the server population.

It's hard to tune instances, particularly large raid encounters, when maxxed alchemy buffs skews things so much. This encludes the chain-potting requirements for long, drawn out raid encounters apparently.

It's been mentioned that Blizz intends to buff pot effects to make them something more like an "oh, (*#&$@" feature, but we honestly do not have enough info at this point to form a strong opinion either way.

Granted, a bit more feedback from the devs would always be welcome, but we all know that isn't going to happen :P

Re: Alchemy Mastery - Which one to pick?

probably the best is flasks, as you can use them in bgs, and you can make the most money if you´re not lazy. potion sickness doesn´t matter either.

elixir mastery is atm superior to the other in my opinion. Proccing on both elixirs and flask, which is so widely used in raids, and tbh sell for quite a bit on ah compared to pots. Yes transmutes might have a higher value generally but since you are limited by cooldowns and xpensive mats it´s not the most economic choice. Things WILL change in the xpack and it´s pretty much impossible to make a precise assumption on what would be the better alch spec at that time.

I'd go with flasks since they won't get affected by potion sickness.

Id go for transmutation, since it makes money :>

Quote Originally Posted by Hooch
    I'd go with flasks since they won't get affected by potion sickness.
    Elixir Mastery you mean

R.I.P: Prefix (T6 Resto Shaman) - DK DPS Compendium
    R.I.P: Valkyr (T4'ish BM Hunter) - UH DPS Compendium

Deleted

Steer clear from Transmute Mastery.

I'm currently on my 4th week without a proc. I keep asking myself why I keep putting up with it, and the answer is "Just in case it does proc". That's really sad.

WTB Inscription!

The thing about alchemy I like, and the reason I will be sticking with it, is its versatility. The guy above me said that he's on his fourth week without a proc (transmute mastery) and he doesn't know why he's putting up with it.

I'm an elixir master, partly because at the time I didn't know what to pick and was in awe of the apparent power of flasks. Partly because at the time I was still a herbalist. Transmutation seemed expensive. Now, I still make flasks and potions ect for my guild, and I do on occasion flood the AH with certain elixirs or flasks when the mats are cheap enough. But I always, almost without exception, create an earthstorm diamond everyday, not because I'm expecting a proc, but because its a great way to make the occasional 150g profit, for a very short time in farming/buying the relevant materials.

So basically, you can make whatever, if your sharp on getting the materials from the ah at low prices, or farming them yourself. Essentially its the basics of profit making. Take in more than you give out. Let your outlays be less than your in goings.

I have transmute mastery as well, on an alt. It is great if you dont play very much on that char. Log in, go to ah, buy mats for Primal Migth (~100g). Do your transmute, sell Primal Migth for 140g on ah. And if you get any extras that is just pure profit.

Done around 3k gold on this char the last month doing this 5 min transmute everyday.

Quote Originally Posted by Anoyarou

Finally, consider that the Herbalism Int buff will cause casters to move slightly into that profession while non-casters (Warriors/Rogues/DKs) would be discouraged from taking up Herbalism.
    source about the +int please.
    Only thing i know is they get a hot: http://wotlk.wowhead.com/?spell=55503

15+ Year Old Account

Transmute some time till you get Transmute: Primal Earth to Life ( Took me only for about 10-15 transmutes), buy 5 stacks of Primal Earth, and make one Primal Life everyday. ~30g profit for each Primal Life you get (<-- Guess this could depends on server tho)

Quote Originally Posted by Balduvian
    Transmute some time till you get Transmute: Primal Earth to Life ( Took me only for about 10-15 transmutes), buy 5 stacks of Primal Earth, and make one Primal Life everyday. ~30g profit for each Primal Life you get (<-- Guess this could depends on server tho)
    Earth to water is also good steady profit.
    Relentless Earthstorm diamonds have a better turnover though.

Transmute is linked to a CD so I wouldnt recomend it. While pots and elixirs can proc as much as you make them.

So far Ive seen a tendency for higher demand on elixirs rather then pots. The demand for mana pots are ofc big but its seems like most players dont bother with haste pots, destruction pots and so on.

Since elixir mastery also procs on flasks (Hello 50g profit every now and then ) I would recomend it.

Well thats how I reasoned when I made my choice. But Im not very happy with choosing alc/herb on my rogue Pretty useless profession for me. Only really keep it because of all the recipes and the goldmaking.