Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Hidden dispersion effect?

As you may know Dispersion is the 51 point shadow talent. I personally think It is quite sweet and amazing. But do you think Blizz will make it so that dispersion drops or reduces aggro?

Considering that Fade is the biggest fail at an attempt to reduce aggro, I believe the aggro hording shadow priests need some sort of aggro reducing ability or maybe even aggro drop ability.

keep in mind that the vanish ability says nothing about aggro drop or reduction yet it drops the rogues aggro.

Re: Hidden dispersion effect?

Vanish drops threat because for all intent and purposes, the rogue is gone into a puff of smoke, therefore the boss forgets about it. Since the bosses aren't "smart", they don't have a memory.

it kind a has :> 6 seconds out of business if you wanna use it the whole duration.

Fade from a PVE perspective has always worked for me, its not an aggro-wipe, but if i pull, its off me when i fade.

Quote Originally Posted by Blasfomy
    Fade from a PVE perspective has always worked for me, its not an aggro-wipe, but if i pull, its off me when i fade.
    What most people QQ about is the fact that they have to stop DPS while the fade is in effect in order to not immediately pull aggro again when the fade expires.

I don't know how, but somehow the ability to stop hitting the DPS buttons is out of reach for a lot of players.

Quote Originally Posted by Egeldi
    I don't know how, but somehow the ability to stop hitting the DPS buttons is out of reach for a lot of players.
    Seriously, though generally, once i pull good tanks will taunt anyways, so having to stop is moot :P

Taunt does have a CD and when the effect fades there's no guaranty that the tank will hold aggro until a heroic strike goes off or w/e.

The reason vanish drops aggro is because the rogue leaves combat, when we use dispersion we will still be in combat so I highly doubt it is going to have an aggro reduction ability.

You should keep in mind that SF now has an innate 30% threat reduction, so again I highly doubt whether Blizzard have plans to give Priests a complete aggro wipe.

Fade has it's uses but most people have preconceptions on how it works. Fade wipes off a set amount of threat, I forget the figure but it's something around 1000 threat. For healing it's enough to drop healing aggro as this usually occurs on an untanked mob that has 0 threat on it. However, if you're a spriest and pull aggro at range, thus 30% over the tanks threat (or current aggro target) 1000 threat reduction isn't going to save you. In addition you gain the threat loss after the fade effect expires... so basically it's enough to help you with global threat, not pulling aggro.

Quote Originally Posted by Worshiper
    As you may know Dispersion is the 51 point shadow talent. I personally think It is quite sweet and amazing. But do you think Blizz will make it so that dispersion drops or reduces aggro?

Considering that Fade is the biggest fail at an attempt to reduce aggro, I believe the aggro hording shadow priests need some sort of aggro reducing ability or maybe even aggro drop ability.

keep in mind that the vanish ability says nothing about aggro drop or reduction yet it drops the rogues aggro.

Dude(tte) shadowform will have -30% threat passive. and we still have the 3 talents to reduce threat by another 25%. you honestly think we need more? I dont.

Quote Originally Posted by Anglarana
    Dude(tte) shadowform will have -30% threat passive. and we still have the 3 talents to reduce threat by another 25%. you honestly think we need more? I dont.
    The -30% threat was put in since they removed Salve so its a net gain (or loss) of 0 threat relative today.

The better point however is that tanks threat is going to go up somewhat significantly and will likely match the DPS boost that we are getting. I'm betting in the end (and this is a guess since they haven't balanced threat that much) that our threat levels will be at or slightly below where we are now relatively. In other words I wouldn't expect that threat won't be an issue for Spriests anymore, it'll still be a factor. I for one would love to have Dispersion have a 'fade' component too it as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Anglarana
    Threat will be mostly balanced by launch to where DPS classes have to be just as careful in WotLK as they have been in BC. Blizzard isn't going to make it noticeably easier or tougher.

We're all looking at this from our experience in BC though, and view is altered by the OP tailoring craftables we got on hitting 70. Progressing through 5-man, heroic, and T4 content we're running around in FSW and SS gear that's generally >= T5 gear -- we considerably outgear the tanks so are much more likely to outstrip their threat generation. By the time you've reached T5, threat isn't that big a deal. Currently 7/9 BT, with tanks geared accordingly, I can go full out 100% of the time with VE up and have no issues whatsoever except on niche fights (like Bloodboil phase 1).

Obviously we're in wait-and-see mode - this *is* beta. But I expect that at launch, and until everyone is established at 80 and you know your tanks, we'll probably need to take full measures in threat reduction again, maybe shaving off a point if you consistantly run with a tank you *know* has superior TPS.

Lethal, Thunderhorn-US
    (US #1 2-night guild WoD)
    Tues/Thurs 7-11pm CT
    EN 7/7 Heroic

Quote Originally Posted by Bigslick
    We're all looking at this from our experience in BC though, and view is altered by the OP tailoring craftables we got on hitting 70. Progressing through 5-man, heroic, and T4 content we're running around in FSW and SS gear that's generally >= T5 gear -- we considerably outgear the tanks so are much more likely to outstrip their threat generation. By the time you've reached T5, threat isn't that big a deal. Currently 7/9 BT, with tanks geared accordingly, I can go full out 100% of the time with VE up and have no issues whatsoever except on niche fights (like Bloodboil phase 1).
    Right; well by the time you've reached T6.5, threat is a big deal. Currently 5/6 SWP, with tanks geared accordingly, I can't go full out 100% of the time with imp VE up as i have issues pulling aggro (twins for example).

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Egeldi
    Its not that people don't know how, but that you in most cases need to push the dps fully = riscing aggro, and it won't help if you just stop during fade then.

Fade should imo remove at least 50% threat fully when used, since its only fade after all.
    "Only Jack can zip up."
    The word you want to use is "have" not "of".
    You may have alot of stuff in your country, but we got Lolland.

Permanent threat dumps is basically what pure dps'ers have over hybrids. It so whenever they whine that they can't spec for healing and tanking you can point to that to make them shut up.
    Originally Posted by Ghostcrawler
    But we're worried that logic might not lead to the best game.

Quote Originally Posted by Neverend
    Right; well by the time you've reached T6.5, threat is a big deal. Currently 5/6 SWP, with tanks geared accordingly, I can't go full out 100% of the time with imp VE up as i have issues pulling aggro (twins for example).
    Threat is always terrible on Twins, I spend half my time in p1 just sitting there or stopcating shadowbolt out of boredom :P. But to Bigslick the reason threat becomes less of a problem for shadow priests compared to other classes with higher gear levels is that shadow priests scale terribly :P.

90% damage reduction is almost as good as an aggro dump anyway. It's enough time for somebody to throw a quick HoP on you or for the tank to take back aggro. And as people have said, SP threat has been significantly downed in WotLK.

Just fade an have a paladin salv you
    "Whenever i crit 10 times in a row on resto druid and can't kill it i exit wow, go outside... walk a bit and find a kitty and beat the fucking shit out of it and throw it in a bush."

-Venator

der iz nou salw in WotLK

der si a slav et duce's treat bye 20% over 10 seconds which imo is still a nice ability.
    "Whenever i crit 10 times in a row on resto druid and can't kill it i exit wow, go outside... walk a bit and find a kitty and beat the fucking shit out of it and throw it in a bush."

-Venator

Quote Originally Posted by Neverend
    Twins is the ONLY example, there's no other fight in swp where you are threat capped, even with imp ve. If you are blame the tanks for slacking.