Page 1 of 7
... LastLast

Flash of Light nerfed?

I've just been looking at the Paladin skills for WOTK:
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/index.php?page=610

It is just me or has Flash of Light been kind of nerfed after lvl 70? The max rank FoL at lvl 70, rank 7, costs 180 mana for approx. 600 base healing. The next rank at lvl 74, rank 8, costs 350 mana for approx. 700 base healing. What the hell? This is kind of expensive now! To compare, the difference between rank 6 and 7 was 40 mana for the same 100 increase in healing. But between 7 and 8 the increase is This is bogas. Have I got something wrong?

Maybe this is reflective of changes in mana pools in WOTK? Hope they arent nerfing FoT as the most efficient heals in the game

Re: Flash of Light nerfed?

Take in consideration there wont be any +healing gear in WotLK... There will be spell power...

Most likely the coefficients have changed, therefore seeming like a nerf.

Yep yep, sounds fair to me. Just seemed odd initially. Also... phew

Most healing spells have almost doubled in cost between 70 and 80 but the +healing from base spell has hardly gone beyond 50% more. So yes, I'm thinking due to the change from Healing stats to Spell power coefficients have been changed and should be on level with TBC in end game.

PS: All this is pure theory crafting ofc, things could change alot before release.

tho one thing that does make this even more odd is that (G)Blessing of Light has been removed and is meant to be re-worked into all our heals, so you'd think that the base heal would be higher.. unless the BoL inclusion is passive so even with 0 spell power you wouldnt ever cast a 700 FoL... but that seems a little...special lol

What is happening is pretty obvious. Blizzard is trying to remove Holy palas from the game - getting palas to play Tank in 5 man instances and giving holy palas very limited healing powers to deal with 5 mans. That will automaticly lead to very few healing palas overall so very few will bother with raiding. Blizzard have almost doubled the mana per heal for paladins in WOTLK. Its only one way to make this viable and that is to turn illumination back to 100% effect. They might throw that in l8ter on and get some clueless ppl worshipping them for it. But its pretty obvious that paladins are the next spec to take full wrath of the Blizzard team - Even if we get our 100% illumination back.

Quote Originally Posted by Daedalon
    What is happening is pretty obvious. Blizzard is trying to remove Holy palas from the game... []But its pretty obvious that paladins are the next spec to take full wrath of the Blizzard team - Even if we get our 100% illumination back.
    And I thought I was paranoid.
    Whining about WoW since closed beta.
    Retired from WoW since patch 4.0.6.

Well - lets see...

Maybe its time to look at the numbers and see whats going on

This is heal per mana of FOL for a paladin in WOTLK

FOL rank 7
    3,27 - 3,65 healing per mana point
    FOL rank 8
    1.95 -2,18 healing per mana point
    FOL rank 9
    1,87-2,09 healng per mana point

Now lets look at FOL for priests

FOL rank 9
    2,34-2,72 healing per mana point
    FOL rank 10
    2,47-2,86 healing per mana point
    FOL rank 11
    2,45-2,83 healing per mana point

Only based on these numbers we can safely say that Paladins are no longer the most mana efficent class. And dont forget that the trend in WOTLK is to lower the critcial chance on all gear. Now ... ask yourself - would you take a priest or a Paladin into 5 mans or raids for healing ? Even for just tank healing ? Isn't it obvious ?

dude you dont even know what the coefficients are. someone already said it, but i suppose that was difficult to understand for the 1 button FOL wonder. the coeffcients could be completely different (and always scale upwards to the highest spell level). this is how blizzard is adjusting to the unified spellpower. wait until you see it live before you cry.

don't waste your tears, no one is looking.

Quote Originally Posted by topfer
    dude you dont even know what the coefficients are. someone already said it, but i suppose that was difficult to understand for the 1 button FOL wonder. the coeffcients could be completely different (and always scale upwards to the highest spell level). this is how blizzard is adjusting to the unified spellpower. wait until you see it live before you cry.

don't waste your tears, no one is looking.
    How can the coefficients on two spells with the same casting time be different, Mr. Smarty pants?

Holy pala's are boring, most of them gone retribution, and if not this, blizzard wants more tanks so nerfing holy tree to achieve this might be a tactical move of blizzard
    My Rogue
    altoholic since 2000 (Diablo II release)

Quote Originally Posted by grenalden
    How can the coefficients on two spells with the same casting time be different, Mr. Smarty pants?
    Because if you bother to actually read the damn blue posts, they stated they're going to tailor Spell Power to *every spell in the game*. Each spell will more than likely have a different co-efficient as need be.

Quote Originally Posted by Viertel
    Because if you bother to actually read the damn blue posts, they stated they're going to tailor Spell Power to *every spell in the game*. Each spell will more than likely have a different co-efficient as need be.
    Haha - this is the most stupid comment ever made. Why bother put any number on a tooltip if its not based on the same basic formula of spell power ? Get a grip and realise the bull your talking about. Flash of light for priests and Paladins are exactly the same working spell for core mecanics of Spell Power. The bull you are talking about is the co-effiency between dmg and healing spells.

Quote Originally Posted by Cocidius
    Holy pala's are boring, most of them gone retribution, and if not this, blizzard wants more tanks so nerfing holy tree to achieve this might be a tactical move of blizzard
    Exactly - Tactiaclly stupid since they will cut one healing class out of the game. Its not like WOW is currently overflowing with healers is it ? And maybe the game is lacking tanks cause the free epix system in the game does not support them ?

Pretty obvious isnt it ?

Well - lets see...

Maybe its time to look at the numbers and see whats going on

This is heal per mana of FOL for a paladin in WOTLK

FOL rank 7
    3,27 - 3,65 healing per mana point
    FOL rank 8
    1.95 -2,18 healing per mana point
    FOL rank 9
    1,87-2,09 healng per mana point

Now lets look at FOL for priests

FOL rank 9
    2,34-2,72 healing per mana point
    FOL rank 10
    2,47-2,86 healing per mana point
    FOL rank 11
    2,45-2,83 healing per mana point

Only based on these numbers we can safely say that Paladins are no longer the most mana efficent class. And dont forget that the trend in WOTLK is to lower the critcial chance on all gear. Now ... ask yourself - would you take a priest or a Paladin into 5 mans or raids for healing ? Even for just tank healing ? Isn't it obvious ?

This has gone against all Blizzard have said recently about keeping Paladins as the best single target healer. Other than FoL, what do we have as our base/core mechanic...? I'll just have to wait and see what happens, or for an explanation, it doesnt make sense. The suggestion about Illumination is not bad though.

Don't forget that the coefficient talking is about +spell power. We should be able to compare the spells based on their base values right? Or are we saying that the Pally FoL scales more with +spell power? It better.

Quote Originally Posted by evawes1
    This has gone against all Blizzard have said recently about keeping Paladins as the best single target healer. Other than FoL, what do we have as our base/core mechanic...? I'll just have to wait and see what happens, or for an explanation, it doesnt make sense. The suggestion about Illumination is not bad though.

Don't forget that the coefficient talking is about +spell power. We should be able to compare the spells based on their base values right? Or are we saying that the Pally FoL scales more with +spell power? It better.
    Its not. +Spell Power gear works exactly the same for the same amount of healing if the spell takes the same time. If not then there are no needs to make tootips anymore. There are basic calcualtions behind every single stat in this game. Spellpower is divided into DMG and Healing power. Those two do not share the same base but every single healing spell and every single dmg spell is orginally build on basic dmg or healing calculated with the (spellpower formula) THere are not 1000 diffrent formulas how Spell POwer effects each spell. Thats just pure bull if someone claims that.

Its not. +Spell Power gear works exactly the same for the same amount of healing if the spell takes the same time. If not then there are no needs to make tootips anymore. There are basic calcualtions behind every single stat in this game. Spellpower is divided into DMG and Healing power. Those two do not share the same base but every single healing spell and every single dmg spell is orginally build on basic dmg or healing calculated with the (spellpower formula) THere are not 1000 diffrent formulas how Spell POwer effects each spell. Thats just pure bull if someone claims that.
    Mind showing a source to support your claim then?

THere are not 1000 diffrent formulas how Spell POwer effects each spell. Thats just pure bull if someone claims that.
    I agree, it would seem strange if it was like that.

But don't you agree that it's also BS to claim that Blizzard are "out to get" holy paladins? That it's "their turn for some spanking" ?

Especially since it only just passed Alpha.

Point is, it doesn't make sense for you to judge something that is not even close to final.
    Whining about WoW since closed beta.
    Retired from WoW since patch 4.0.6.

Quote Originally Posted by bailey910
    Mind showing a source to support your claim then?
    You mind showing me the source showing anything diffrent ?

Go look and see the basic build up of stats in WOW. If you can't find it or havn't even seen it yet -then you wouldn't even understand the formula for SP even if I showed you.

But your welcome to belive there are 1000 diffrent spellpower formular for spells....

Quote Originally Posted by Elica
    I agree, it would seem strange if it was like that.

But don't you agree that it's also BS to claim that Blizzard are "out to get" holy paladins? That it's "their turn for some spanking" ?

Especially since it only just passed Alpha.

Point is, it doesn't make sense for you to judge something that is not even close to final.
    There are X number of Paladins in WOW.
    a)When you nerf one spec of paladins compared to other classes that are playing the same spec
    b)and then buff the other two specs of the paladin class

c) then the outcome is pretty obvious.

SUnwell is not in alpha. This is what is happening in the game right now. Current 5 man content in sunwell is delebratly made to prevent holy paladins from doing it. Just to let the player base know that Holy palas can no longer support healing for 5 man groups.