Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Shield of Righteousness, anyone test it yet?

I've seen so many ret changes and info on them but it seems holy has been neglected for testing!

Anyone try it out? Holy spec grinding out or something? I figure this would be a great new holy/prot build farming tool.

Re: Shield of Righteousness, anyone test it yet?

I'm not Protection specced, but I have been using Shield of Righteousness anyway while clearing content as a Retribution Paladin.

I have 584 block value at the moment (834 Strenght, and 167 from my Vengeful Gladiator's Barrier). In practice that works out to 1168 Holy damage, non-crit.

It does require some macroing, but the damage makes up for that and is very consistant because of the nature of Holy damage.

With the prospects of having well over a 1000 Strenght at level 80 I believe that this might be another instant attack that will be available to the Retribution Paladin.

Thoughts?

[size=14pt]Read the: Paladin - Frequently Asked Questions[/size]

Another tool that seems to be making Shockadins more acceptable in the public eye... now if they could just make it so a "Shockadin" was a PvE acceptable Healer/Damager Dealer hybrid.

Quote Originally Posted by Rawberry
    I'm not Protection specced, but I have been using Shield of Righteousness anyway while clearing content as a Retribution Paladin.

I have 584 block value at the moment (834 Strenght, and 167 from my Vengeful Gladiator's Barrier). In practice that works out to 1168 Holy damage, non-crit.

It does require some macroing, but the damage makes up for that and is very consistant because of the nature of Holy damage.

With the prospects of having well over a 1000 Strenght at level 80 I believe that this might be another instant attack that will be available to the Retribution Paladin.

Thoughts?
    Hmm, you might have something there, but the damage itself might be a little low for lvl 80 standards.

How much Spell power did you have when you tested it?

Other than that, the mana cost seems like it could definatly be a viable attack, but you also have to consider is it worth the GCD and swing timer rest? You're none crit white damage could do more than the shield attack with 1000 str at 80.

Quote Originally Posted by PalliesThrowStuff
    Another tool that seems to be making Shockadins more acceptable in the public eye... now if they could just make it so a "Shockadin" was a PvE acceptable Healer/Damager Dealer hybrid.
    As much as I would like to see a PvE DSP/healer hybrid it seems to unrealistic.

It dose add to shockadin though I will agree, even without str a shockadin could get 1500 spell power easy at 80 (I have about 1000 now in holy gear), that is alot of dmg, especially if you are rocking a bit of prot gear, shockadins might be a new aspect to PvP?

Quote Originally Posted by Sucris
    Other than that, the mana cost seems like it could definatly be a viable attack, but you also have to consider is it worth the GCD and swing timer rest?
    The swing timer is something that needs to be taken into account, but Crusader Strike has a 6 second cooldown and Divine Storm a 10 second so you can quite easily fit Shield of Righteousness into a rotation.

Truthful words found in this thread so far.

While I dont think it's an attack a Retribution Paladin will frequently want to use in PvE DPS Rotations, there's no doubting that it's another instant attack you can apply in PvP for the cost of a GCD, add that to DS, CS, white, three seal procs, Judgement, and then the old Shield Mollywhomp, and you're probably getting enough burst out of it that the GCD/Swing Timer reset is a worthy price.

What you MIGHT even see is some crazy 1-handed Ret build, although if that's your aim, you might just want to go Shockadin.

Has anyone analyzed Holy's output in WotLK with Shield, new Seal + Judgement, and the shorter cooldown Holy Shock?

I dont think Holy as an offensive-geared healer is unrealistic, they just have to configure some of the mid and late range talents to benefit melee swings more, give them a better HoT to suspend damage income for their instant cast heals. Looping it to Seal/Judgement of Light, and output of Holy Damage all seem reasonable options to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Rawberry
    The swing timer is something that needs to be taken into account, but Crusader Strike has a 6 second cooldown and Divine Storm a 10 second so you can quite easily fit Shield of Righteousness into a rotation.
    I could really only see that being done in PvE unless your trying to push that last bit out on a PvP target, or you are getting focused by melee to still get some dmg out.

But a rotation and a macro could make that an insane combination. Seeing as how attack power for ret is also some spell power, stacking alot of str could make it a real nice way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by PalliesThrowStuff
    I dont think Holy as an offensive-geared healer is unrealistic
    The more I think about that, it sound more and more like a smite priest. But there is a possibility for it.

So ShoR is a 6 sec CD but sets of the GCD as ret, CS is 6 sec, DS is 10 sec and 1.5 sec GCD.

This is with no haste to speed up the GCD, it will vary with haste.

What I would say is maybe start off with a shield and go like this

ShoR
    swap to 2h and CS
    DS
    (depending on wep speed, white melee here)
    swap to shield ShoR
    swap to 2h and CS
    melee
    --10 second mark--
    DS
    melee
    swap to shield ShoR
    swap to 2h and CS
    swap to shield ShoR
    swap to 2h and CS
    --20 second mark--
    DS
    swap to shield ShoR
    swap to 2h and CS
    --30 second mark--

30 sec is were you should start over.

This is just a rough outline of what it might be, and if you are hitting it every CD.

Quote Originally Posted by Sucris

The more I think about that, it sound more and more like a smite priest. But there is a possibility for it.
    Smite is another thing I wish Blizzard was willing to give some love to, allowing Holy some raidwide contribution for Smiting the bad guys intermittently with their healing would be icing on the cake, just like rewarding a Holy Paladin for swinging his seal, or smacking the bad guy with his shield would be a perfect flavor that really makes a healing character dynamic and fun, and less of a repetition of the same healing buttons over and over

No kidding, I wish I had a counter for how many times I pressed my 3 and 2 buttons.

probably around in the millions by now XD but I use clique now so it hadnt gone up in a long time.

dont forget judging thats another GCD every 8 sec

I guess since it is holy dmg it will be used from Retribution paladins vs high armor targets like bears warriors paladins shamans with shields etc and thats nice tbh.

It will be useless for DPS rotation in PvE, however, for PvP it'll be a very nice instant Holy Damage attack, it'll destroy classes like Warriors, Druids and other Physical Mitigation heavy players, since their armor doesn't help them against holy damage.

but, for PvE, if you use this, you're doing the same thing as HoW currently does live, nerfing your damage totally.

Deleted

I wonder if it will be useful to go SoV + 1h + shield on bears and warriors.

You give some white damage, you take lots of unmitigable damage by dot of the vengeance, judge, ShoR (you can even enchant your shield with block value for what you are concerned, We might even see DPS shields?).

What do you think?

I don't think it's gonna be viable as PvE DPS. Exorcism or Consecration will probably be better things to spend excess mana on, especially as ShoR weapon twisting will require tremendous effort, and even if you time the weapon swap right after a swing, you'll still lose damage from attacking with a 1H instead of a 2H for 3 or more seconds.

You guys border on the silly if you think Blizzard will "allow" this spell to be used for anything other than what it was intended. It's clearly intended to give prot paladins an extra offensive threat gen attack that scales well with STR, and by making it baseline, they also intend to open it up so non-prot paladins can also off-tank, or run 5 mans, with some level of success.

I can safely guarantee it's absolutely *not* designed to be used in a ret pally's dps rotation, or as an extra burst attack. If it actually has any success in those areas it'll only get nerfed into the ground. Blizzard has shown this time and time again with every ability that has stepped outside its intended usage (mind vision nerfs, detect magic removal, sentry totems, etc).

I could easily see them causing a shield swap to refresh the cooldown on Shield of Righteousness. As for holy paladins, it'll likely end up scaling far better with str than spell power, nerfing that idea before it even has a chance to get out of the gate.

Really, it's not that hard to predict blizzard by now. I don't see this lasting long as a macro on any serious ret paladin's dps rotation. In fact I'm pretty much ready to eat my shoe if they happen to overlook it.

Quote Originally Posted by Zarcob
    Really, it's not that hard to predict blizzard by now. I don't see this lasting long as a macro on any serious ret paladin's dps rotation. In fact I'm pretty much ready to eat my shoe if they happen to overlook it.
    We'll talk some more in 2 months

Shockadins (shock & sheath) will use it PVP, Ret will not. Prot loves it and uses it all the time.

This has been my experience in the Beta.

Quote Originally Posted by Voidseeker
    Shockadins (shock & sheath) will use it PVP, Ret will not. Prot loves it and uses it all the time.

This has been my experience in the Beta.
    Ret will not? Ret would if he had a working macro. Witch he will have if blizz doesn't nerf it.
    The tank is the driver, healer is the fuel. And the DPS are the kids sitting in the back crying about if they're there yet.