New Blessing of Sanctuary a nerf to AoE'ing?

If I'm reading the tooltip right, this is a huge nerf in terms of soloing lowbie instances. I know, not everyone's endgame, but I happen to enjoy the Diablo-esque gameplay of mass-pulling lowbie instances.

Old: 100dmg, less 80 from old BoS = I take 20dmg per hit.

New: 100dmg, less 3% from new BoS = I take 97dmg per hit.

Multiply that by say 10 mobs and all of a sudden I'm taking 970dmg instead of 200dmg.

In fact, a mob needs to be hitting you for at least 2700dmg before that 3% matches the old BoS.

Add to that the absence of holy damage per block and all of a sudden the new BoS isn't anywhere near as good as it used to be for AoE'ing.

Please correct my math if I'm wrong.
    ----------------------------------------
    1999 - 2001: Ultima Online
    2001 - 2004: Dark Age of Camelot
    2004 - Today: World of Warcraft
    *** 19 years of MMO gaming ***

Re: New Blessing of Sanctuary a nerf to AoE'ing?

old BoSanc is applied BEFORE armor and actually reduces damage by 30-40, not 80

plus.. mobs won't be hitting you for 3k damage in WotLK, i'm sure 6-7k is more likely for heroics and up

Keep in mind retribution aura now scales with damage and likely does more damage in the long run than the old sanctuary. I doubt the damage will be missed, even while ae tanking.

35% on patch download... going well slow tonight... I'll go experiment a bit when the patch is done.

Is the new BoS still applied before armour?

Quote Originally Posted by Dalien
    35% on patch download... going well slow tonight... I'll go experiment a bit when the patch is done.

it's new.. how is somebody supposed to know?

It scales making it more useful for MT'ing and helps give you a ton of mana back aoe tanking from all the dodges/parrys/blocks...so how is it a nerf?

If I'm reading the tooltip right, this is a huge nerf in terms of soloing lowbie instances. I know, not everyone's endgame, but I happen to enjoy the Diablo-esque gameplay of mass-pulling lowbie instances.

Old: 100dmg, less 80 from old BoS = I take 20dmg per hit.

New: 100dmg, less 3% from new BoS = I take 97dmg per hit.

Multiply that by say 10 mobs and all of a sudden I'm taking 970dmg instead of 200dmg.

In fact, a mob needs to be hitting you for at least 2700dmg before that 3% matches the old BoS.

Add to that the absence of holy damage per block and all of a sudden the new BoS isn't anywhere near as good as it used to be for AoE'ing.

Please correct my math if I'm wrong.
    ...how can someone complain about the change to BoS

I... am speechless...

As the others in this thread pointed out, you really don't know much about how the old BoS worked.

It doesn't matter anymore. With 50% armor reduction it doesn't matter if it's armor first(100% -> 50% -> 48.5%) or BoS first (100% -> 97% -> 48.5%), it's all the same now. I'm glad they got rid of all the -dmg taken stuff tbh, it was gimped from the start.

Others have spoken to the damage reduction component. I will speak to the reflective damage component. I am currently playing a level 70 (almost 71) prot paladin on the beta.

Trust me, you won't miss it.

True, I have a little bit less reflective damage now. But in my full tanking gear, I have 100% avoidance/mitigation with holy shield up, which means unless the attack misses outright (~11% chance), I'm getting mana regen off blessing of sanctuary. I'm also getting mana regen from judgment of wisdom. I walked into Borean Tundra, and gathered up about 25 Rhinos; granted, they weren't elite, and their level range seemed to be 68-70. Still, I turned on seal of light, and used hammer of the righteous to keep my life up, and consecrated the entire group down at once; I walked out of the fight at about 80% health and 95% mana. I literally could not spend the mana faster than I was getting it back.

Then I walked into Nexus and Utgarde Keep with a group ( holy pally, ret pally, elemental shaman, blood DK), and with the addition of Judgments of the Wise, we never once had to stop to drink in either dungeon. Walk up to a group, shield, hammer of the righteous, consecrate, and the rest practically takes care of itself.

This change is a.... well, a blessing :-p

don't forget 3% dmg reduction is more scalable than a flat damage reduction modifier.

it's even better because it work effectively for both spells and physical. Pallies used to have a week spell dmg mitigation than warriors. Now, excluding spell reflect, pallies and warriors are now equal in terms of base spell dmg mitigation.

Now, excluding spell reflect, pallies and warriors are now equal in terms of base spell dmg mitigation.
    until we cast BoSanc on the warrior... or worse the DK.

raid buffed tankadins will be barely better than ferals for spell mitigation, and that's if we take the talent.

but that's ok 13% total isn't half bad. And if it really matters we can also spec PoJ

For lowbie instances, you are right. Though thats a TINY part of what pallies do at 70 (And soon 80). We don't care so much about how we tank VC.

But heck, if it's bothering you so much - Go Holy and run lowbie instances. Works just as well IMO.

I've just been trying this out (FINALLY got onto the beta server, it's been broken all morning...), and here's what I'm seeing...

I pulled every mob in the central and left hand wings of Stockades all at once, and concecrated them to death in a nice tidy pile. Did the same run on both Beta and Live servers with the same level character in the same gear.

With the old BoS, I was taking roughly 5-8 damage per hit and finished the pull with just over 9000hp remaining. Concecrate was doing 74 damage per tick (without Avenging Wrath).

With the new BoS, I was taking roughly 15-18 damage per hit and finished the pull with just over 3000hp remaining. Concecrate was doing 108 damage per tick (without Avenging Wrath). The block-mana was amazing, from casting Concecrate to having full mana again was <1 second.

So pulling about 66% of Stockades at once, I took 6000 more damage using the new BoS. The mana gain from the new BoS was amazing though.

As an interesting aside, the mobs seemed to miss and get parried a lot more on the live server.

I'll have to try the SM cathedral pull next.