something Positive about ret pally

Everything ive been reading is negative about playing rets. As a holy pally im looking at switching to ret or prot to level in WotLK. I was prot when i level to 70 then switched to holy for a raiding spot. So i dont want to level as prot again.

Is there anything positive about playing a ret in WotLK or should i just play my lock.

I really dont think leveling as holy is going to be fun either.

Re: something Positive about ret

Quote Originally Posted by mtdew5309
    Is there anything positive about playing a ret in WotLK or should i just play my lock.
    Currently, no. You'll be oom within two minutes in optimal situations, thus making you worthless for PvE and organised PvP both.

That said, if they fix/change retribution -personal- mana regeneration, there are plenty of positives.

Re: something Positive about ret pally

in addition shockadin kills the mobs nearly as fast as the retri and he can kill 15 mobs without losing mana/hp (spammen holy shock to heal, and have seal of wisdom active to gain the mana for consecration)

after testing in beta for several hours, when grinding solo:

- shockadin does about (average) 500 dps
    - holy pala and protection - about 400 dps
    - retrib (with seal of wisdom up) does about 1200 dps and no mana problems.

You choose.

Quote Originally Posted by luxian

You choose.
    as shockadin you need to AE grind^^

I know you have to AoE grind. Still the shockadin AoE spells are much lower of the retrib. The shockadin use only consecration that ticks about the same for both as consecration is taking now 32% of AP + 32% of Spell Power + 904. But retrib pala will also use Divine Storm (2000 non crit or 4000 crit on 4 targets, every 10 sec), so as retrib you do more damage in a shorter time. trust me as tried both as retrib and shockadin. I just dont get it why there are people that are trying to convince others or themselves that shockadin can do some nice constant dps. No way, just some burst dmg or and AoE slowing grinding.

consec and retri aura!:P

i do not say that shockadin can deal constant dps, they are masters at burst, but for ae its fun with imba consec tics and enough mana to not going oom after 5 mobs :P ( without using seal of wisdom!)

Sadly Shockadins were surpassed by Ret Paladins so much that the only belong in 2v2 and maybe as a healer that can CC.

/sadface.

If you think Ret sucks in beta, you suck.

The only troubles ret has been facing were the buggered Judgements, and with JotW "fixed" their mana regen for raiding may be down, but still not at all as bad as people seem to make it. (Totems, Spirit Buff, BoW, JoW and JotW proc.) Hell, JotW is .5% of MAX mana every second, that's 2.5% of max mana every 5, that is, with a 5K mana pool 125 mp/5 for that spell alone, couple it with BoW from a holy spec paladin with Imp, BoW, JoW and Mana Totems If you go out of mana, you deserve to give up the raid spot.

in raids if you use CS + DS + judgement and seal of martyr/blood you will be oom in about 5 min (after using mana potion and divine plea). If you use Consecration, Exorcism, Holy Wrath and Hammer of Wrath in 1 min.

as it is now, Blizzard want us to skip using Divine Storm in our normal rotation and use seal of wisdom in rotation with seal of martyr/blood.

perfect, and than there is the oldschool "retpaladins? lol they cant deal dmg, specc prot !"

Aiphares... omg. "retpaladins? lol they cant deal dmg, specc prot !". The idea is retribution is a dps tree and it exists. If it is there make it viable. The only issue it is now in retribution is the personal mana regen. before the change in Judgment of the Wise it was to good to be true. Now, as it is now we can dps but we cant do it for long. We dont want to be top dps as pure other dps classes but at least let us some flexibility. take a look at the enhancement shamans, they are hybrids, they are melee dps, but they dont have mana problems, they do decent dps and they bring many buffs to the raid.

i KNOW that we can deal dmg, i'm a retribution paladin raiding BT and MH but if we have to use seal of wisdom and skip divine storm etc then the DPS drops to the bottom :/

by the way @ "we can dps but we cant do it for long"

and what brings this for us? perfect autohit afk after 2minutes. DPS is counting for the whole bossfight and not for the first minutes

Quote Originally Posted by Samiel
    If you think Ret sucks in beta, you suck.

The only troubles ret has been facing were the buggered Judgements, and with JotW "fixed" their mana regen for raiding may be down, but still not at all as bad as people seem to make it. (Totems, Spirit Buff, BoW, JoW and JotW proc.) Hell, JotW is .5% of MAX mana every second, that's 2.5% of max mana every 5, that is, with a 5K mana pool 125 mp/5 for that spell alone, couple it with BoW from a holy spec paladin with Imp, BoW, JoW and Mana Totems If you go out of mana, you deserve to give up the raid spot.
    I tried last night some "pvp" on Coldarra with my lvl 70 pally and I have to say I partially agree. For solo/pvp situations tho, ret need a bigger mana pool or a better mana regen ability. The damage output is fine, maybe more than fine but mana is going down way too fast. If u find a drainer, mostly a sp, you go oom in 3 mana burns.

Herald of the Titans theredviola's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by luxian

You choose.
    really? REALLY?
    "Do not only practice your art, but force yourself into its secrets, for it and knowledge can raise men to the divine." -- Ludwig Van Beethoven