Quelldur

Prot paladin gear

Thre are so many changes about tanking so i really cant search answer for this! I saw Naxx loot and paladin gear has strength and doesnt have spell power, so i wonder is strength giving spell damage, like AP does for enhc shaman, or now pala uses physical damage for tanking (i doubt) or what?

Quelldur

Re: Prot paladin gear

Or maybe pala will get enough spell damage from stamina, so its not needed in gear!

Simple answer is they shouldn't really need spell damage anymore as paladin spells now scale equally from attack power and spell power. So you get a chunk from the strength and another chunk from the 30% stam to spell power talent.

I hope that helps
    >:7

Full Bloggage: - http://nuronv.wordpress.com
    Micro Blogs: - http://twitter.com/nuron_v

2 Strength = 1 Block value = 2 Holy damage extra on Shield of Righteousness.
    10 Stamina = 3 Spell Power

I smell Tankadins going for Warrior/DK gear here

Yeah...they are streamlining the gear so that for the most part,Plate Tank gear and Plate DPS gear is all their is. and each piece benefits each class equally. same with Caster gear.

Makes it alot less likely stuff will be DE'ed as much.

We'll be regearing to full strength gear for threat. As mentioned the key points are:

- 2str->1block value and block value is used for threat via shield of righteousness
    - hammer of righteousness causes damage (+ high threat) via your weapon damage so you want a slow melee weapon with lots of attack power to increase its damage
    - most of our spells (consecration, judgements, exorcism, etc) have AP coefficients as well as spellpower coefficients so they'll actually benefit from both AP + SP
    - we also gain 30% of our stamina as spellpower

finaly found the rough numbers these are of course subject to change

Attack power coefficients
    Seal of Righteousness: 5% (multiplied by weapon speed)
    Seal of Light: 28% (healing done, not damage)
    Seal of Wisdom: 14% (mana gained, not damage)
    Seal of Vengeance: 7% (per stack, additive with other coefficient..)

Judgement of Command: 36%
    Judgement of the Martyr: 36%
    Judgement of Righteousness: 45%
    Judgement of Wisdom damage: 36%
    Judgement of Wisdom proc: 9%
    Judgement of Light damage 36%:
    Judgement of Light proc: 18%
    Judgement of Justice: 36%

Hammer of Wrath: 15%

Exorcism: 7%
    Holy Wrath: 7%
    Consecration: 32%

Spell power coefficients

Seal of Righteousness: 10% (multiplied by weapon speed)
    Seal of Light: 28% (healing done, not damage)
    Seal of Wisdom: 14% (mana gained, not damage)
    Seal of Vengeance: 3.4% (per stack, there's an odd modifier in there somewhere too)
    Seal of Vengeance full stack proc: 2%

Judgement of Command: 58%
    Judgement of the Martyr: 58%
    Judgement of Righteousness: 73%
    Judgement of Wisdom damage: 58%
    Judgement of Wisdom proc: 9%
    Judgement of Light damage: 58%
    Judgement of Light proc: 18%
    Judgement of Justice: 58%

Exorcism: 7%
    Holy Wrath: 7%
    Consecration: 32%

Retribution Aura: 6.6%
    Hammer of Wrath: 15%
    >:7

Full Bloggage: - http://nuronv.wordpress.com
    Micro Blogs: - http://twitter.com/nuron_v

Quelldur

Ok thx, for nice and simple answers! I knew about stamina converted to spellpower, but i didnt know for Str!

yes, Str is the new Spell power. since spells now take coefficients half from AP and half from SP it is better to go with STR.

reason being spell power is only good for that 1 part of the coefficient and for healing (which we won't really do while tanking). STR takes the other half of the coefficient but it also increases white damage, Block Value, and with block value increases the damage of shield of righteousness. so STR is the kind of gems/enchants we will be looking at for threat instead of SP.

Note: STR is also increase by divine srength talent as well as blessing of kings. which is why STR is better than just getting AP enchant.

1 STR with talents = 1.15 STR, with kings its 1.265 STR (rounds up or down depending on the break point).

Each str is 2 AP. So 1 STR for us is actually worth 2.5AP.

And the statements so far have been 1-3 mobs, melee / warrior / tank weapon

5+ mobs, caster/dps spell dmg weapon.

Whether that will actually hold true with much testing remains to be seen.
    I play the class in WotLK that is the worst spec class, that got nerfed, while all the other spec's got buffed. Which class is that? All of them of course...if you believe forum posts

i don't see the point in using a caster weapon at all in theory... i'll have to try it out myself to see the difference.

from what I can tell Rogue Swords and maces are the weapon of choice. slow with high top damage since all we need is to stack 5 SoV for our seals, we can use the top end damage of the weapon for more dmg with hammer of righteousness.

OH noes Paladin stealing meh weapons!!!

Well why not take a nice spell power mace with that very very nice 800 Spell Power instead of taking my precious?
    [size=20pt][move][size=20pt]Falcon Punch![/size][/move]

Quote Originally Posted by Lumidar
    from what I can tell Rogue Swords and maces are the weapon of choice. slow with high top damage since all we need is to stack 5 SoV for our seals, we can use the top end damage of the weapon for more dmg with hammer of righteousness.
    Euhm, you know that there is a 99.9% chance that this will actually be a normalized spell right? So the difference will merely be the average weapon damage (that's average, not top end). And as far as that goes: stats > that 2 extra damage from a different weapon speed

let's take this new Naxx loot on the main page as example. (note i am calculating basic tanking rotations. no exorcism, holy wrath or hammer of wrath in there)

Caster wep:
    http://static.mmo-champion.com/mmoc/...0_loot_012.jpg

1.8 speed
    408 Spell Power
    33 Stam (11 Spell Power from talent)
    227 top damage (or 82.6 DPS for your 'normalized' theory)

This wep will (in theory) only do 227 dmg with hammer of the righteous. your Spell Power gives alot of bonuses to concecrate, Holy Shield and seal/judge damage. nothing else.
    Warrior Tank Wep:
    http://static.mmo-champion.com/mmoc/...0_loot_050.jpg

1.5 speed
    57 Stam (19 Spell Power from talent)
    29 Str (75 Atack Power and 75 Block Value with DivineSTR and Kings)
    280 top damage (or 143.3 DPS if normalized)
    you also get some Defense and Dodge.

This wep will (in theory) only do 280 dmg with hammer of the righteous. 19 SP and 75 AP bonuses to concecrate, Holy Shield and seal/judge damage. (75 BlockValue *2) added to shield of the righteous damage and you get higher white damage for little added threat.
    Rogue Wep:
    http://static.mmo-champion.com/mmoc/...0_loot_042.jpg

2.6 speed
    39 Stam (13 Spell Power from talent)
    27 Agility ( just under 1% dodge)
    76 Attack Power
    485 top damage (or 143.5 DPS if normalized)

This wep will (in theory) do 485 dmg with hammer of the righteous (double the others). 13 SP and 76 AP bonuses to concecrate, Holy Shield and seal/judge damage. and you get higher white damage for little added threat.
    so if the damage is normalized by DPS instead of top weapon damage as it seems to be calculated now then Warrior tanking weaons are better. otherwise rogue weaons are better if you plan on using Hammer of the righteous alot.

I would love to use this on my tanking set up
    http://wotlk.wowhead.com/?item=41384

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by Lumidar
    so if the damage is normalized by DPS instead of top weapon damage as it seems to be calculated now then Warrior tanking weaons are better. otherwise rogue weaons are better if you plan on using Hammer of the righteous alot.
    From those 3 choices I'd still go for the caster weapon. Why? Well, we are an aoe tanking class and higher spelldmg helps with our aoe capabilities. So, a caster weapon + str/sta tanking gear should be quite a well balanced outfit for most situations. Of course, against bosses you could switch to another weapon since you won't be using your your aoe spells that much there, but I don't think the benefit is anything remarkable.

Spell damage helps our AOE, but to say that AP does not is wrong. Both stats are essentially going to buff TPS. Depending upon your spells and spell rotations, you may find that AP scales 10x better for you.

AP and SD both scale consecrate, which historically speaking is 24-28% of your threat. You won't NEED to spam it like you used to.

You really do have to go back to the drawing board and rethink your thoughts on gear and scaling. We are not based solely in spell dmg anymore, and gearing as such will gimp you, not help you, as some spells scale off AP @ a 2:1 clip compared to SD.

Considering for every 1pt of str you get 1.15, you get 2.3 AP per 1pt of str. You get 1 point of SD for every 3 points of stam (give or take that 3%).

They basically made gearing EASIER, and more sensible for us. We can choose now. If you want more spell dmg, then go with 0/48/23 as your spec. Your stam will turn to SD bonus, your AP will turn to SD bonus, and you'll be rolling a TON of spell dmg.
    I like the build, it looks great, and if I can forgo the 51 point talent, I will, its all gonna require me to do it, to see
    I play the class in WotLK that is the worst spec class, that got nerfed, while all the other spec's got buffed. Which class is that? All of them of course...if you believe forum posts

Gearing for spell damage is a MISTAKE. And a huge one.

Granted that our tree is about to get wtflxredone, but speaking from personal experience on the beta, the new T6 stats feed right into our new role. Look at all of our T6/SWP gear now. NO Spell damage. You get your required spell damage by stacking stamina.

You new friends:

STA
    STR

Leave spell power to the wussadins in the back. Also, regarding skipping HoTR you obviously haven't judged light on 1 mob and wisdom on the other and fought. If you had, you wouldn't be saying that.

yiptastic

If you are AE tanking + BoS, you can't go oom.

you dodge/parry/block a ton: if you are tanking 6 mobs each with 2 sec swing speed, every sec, you will regain 6% mana every sec.
    Everytime you AE, you take dmg more than usual. you will gain mana through spiritual attunement.
    you have judgement of wisdom and JoW proc effect on.
    If you use a shaman healer, you will have mana spring.

Basically, if you go OOM every other AE pull, in WoTLK, you will never have this problem again.

there is sort of a problem when it comes to weapons and aoe tanking.

on armor pieces most of the spelldmg was converted to strength at a 1:1 rate.
    however when it comes to the weapon there is a huge gap between the amount of spellpower on a caster weapon to the strength on an equivalent ilvl physical dps weapon.
    since most of the stat budget on a physical dps weapon is wasted on the weapon's dps (rather then on threat stats like a caster weapon) our aoe threat suffers from this since it does not benefit from a weapon's dps.

how can u even compare the threat from 400 spelldmg to 29 str(58 ap), when consecration coefficient is equal for spellpower and attackpower.
    It's a pretty huge gap.
    I hope hammer of the righteous can compensate for this gap, otherwise the only way to fix this would be to have the dps on a weapon somehow affect consecration as well.