'Opportunity' (Build 8905): Hidden Mutilate nerf?

Hi there

I've got a question concerning the Tier1-subtlety-talent 'Opportunity':
    Opportunity (Rank 2)
    "Increases the damage when striking from behind with your Backstab, Mutilate, Garrote and Ambush abilities by 20%."
    Does it still affect Mutilate, since it will be no longer required to be behind the target? Otherwise it would be a huge nerf. The tooltip needs to be changed either way.

Greets, Crai

Re: 'Opportunity' (Build 8905)

It should, otherwise there would be no point in saying striking from behind. If they removed Mutilate from that talent, it could read:

Opportunity: Increases the damage of your Backstab, Garrote and Ambush abilities by 20%.

Since all three of those require you to be behind your target, there wouldn't be a point in saying from behind.

It's the same tooltip as it is on live realms.

It would be stupid to say: "Hey dear rogue players. You can now perform mutilate when you're not behind your target!" while forcing them to still do it from behind for the full benefit of damage

Let's put it like this, this would be a horrible nerf to Mutilate, cause people either specced Duel Wield or Opportunity ( even though Opportunity seemed to increase the damage more for me when I heard others claiming differently ). But it'd be dumb to start forcing Mutilate into Combat which it shouldn't BUT grabbing Duel Wield is something that is basically a must.

Quote Originally Posted by ThatOneDude
    Let's put it like this, this would be a horrible nerf to Mutilate, cause people either specced Duel Wield or Opportunity ( even though Opportunity seemed to increase the damage more for me when I heard others claiming differently ). But it'd be dumb to start forcing Mutilate into Combat which it shouldn't BUT grabbing Duel Wield is something that is basically a must.
    That's what I'm worried about...
    Either Blizzard drops "from behind" or "Mutilate".

Edit:
    http://forums.wow-europe.com/thread....488401&sid=1#3
    Nice to hear

Re: 'Opportunity' (Build 8905): Hidden Mutilate nerf?

What they've done by changeing mut so that you dont have to be behind is saved us from spending the 2 points in imp ss we always did for our soloing. by keeping opportunity as is is means you deal more damage in a group situtation. if you're qqing about having to be behind, you're not that good to begin with. when in any group setting where you have a tank you should ALWAYS be behind the target to minimize mitigation. Especially parries which cause more hits on the tank.

I fail to see how keeping somthing the same as it has always been can be called a 'nerf'.

In my opinion they should keep opportunity like it is - ditching the 'must be behind your target' requirement from Muti means that you can just spam it while grinding or without bothering to try getting into position, whereas you will still get an incentive to attempt to use Muti in the old way from behind.

Giving you the new ability to Mutilate from the front is a new ability, not a nerf to an exisiting one.

As things stand, not benefiting from Opportunity from the front would in no way be a nerf, as Muti from behind, which until now was you're only option, will still function in exactly the same way it always has.

Quote Originally Posted by Funkatron
    It should, otherwise there would be no point in saying striking from behind. If they removed Mutilate from that talent, it could read:

Opportunity: Increases the damage of your Backstab, Garrote and Ambush abilities by 20%.

Since all three of those require you to be behind your target, there wouldn't be a point in saying from behind.
    You mean like how it currently is on live?
    The wording has always been a bit redundant, and this new implication is an overlooked coincidence. They'll most likely change it to your example.

idk why they made mutilate from front and what not, having it forced from behind means they'll never dodge block parry it

bu they can still dodge it from behind. why do you think we need expertise.

i always thought you cant dodge parry or block anything behind you?

Player's can't dodge, block or parry any attacks made behind them. Mobs cannot block or parry attacks made from behind them, but they can dodge them.

no one goes mutilate for pve ... or do they ?

this is not a Nerf. Mutilate now can be done in front and behind..Why Infront now? So you can lvl quicker with it.

why does oppertunity have its tool tip the way it is, Because those talents are used from Behind your target.Now with mutilate being able to be used from the front to lvl,you still use it in a raid from behind and profit on that 20% bonus.

No Rogue, regardless of the spec should be attacking from the front(In a raid Setting). if you are, you need to stop.its just that simple.

Front- Dodge, parry, Block
    Behind- Dodge, thus Expertise capping or stacking some to minimize that from happening.
    *80 Rogue*-Us,Thrall
    *80 Druid*-Us,Thrall

*Mage*- WoW's Betty Crocker

The real question is, even as mutilate, wouldn't you STILL want to be attacking from behind? All the change really did was fix it so that people with latency problems don't get mutilate parried and stuff.
    MY X/Y POKEMON FRIEND CODE: 1418-7279-9541 In Game Name: Michael__

Quote Originally Posted by bloodcat101
    What they've done by changeing mut so that you dont have to be behind is saved us from spending the 2 points in imp ss we always did for our soloing. by keeping opportunity as is is means you deal more damage in a group situtation. if you're qqing about having to be behind, you're not that good to begin with. when in any group setting where you have a tank you should ALWAYS be behind the target to minimize mitigation. Especially parries which cause more hits on the tank.
    You don't get Imp SS as a mutilate rogue ever.