The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account

Maelstrom Weapon . . . Not so Good?

Edit: Basically, I'm an idiot. Misread the tooltip completely. Thanks to those below for not face crushing me. If forums mods see this feel free to erase it - I fully admit to being a waste of good oxygen this morning. I left the original post as punishment to myself and my ancestors.

I've seen a lot of very recent posts about MW and how great it's going to be for PvE. Even posts as recent as yesterday are talking about the instant cast benefits of MW in our DpS rotation.

Unless both Wowhead and MMO are incorrect - Maelstrom is no longer instant cast after 5 stacks. It only reduces the cast time (after stacking the maximum of five times) to 80% percent - which is basically crap.

I'm looking for some new info or explanation - I'm not trolling, I swear. I'm really curious about what people are thinking for our dps rotation.

Re: Maelstrom Weapon . . . Not so Good?

You're not reading it correctly. When you put 5 points in it thats 4 x 5 = 20. Then on top of this it stacks 5 times making it 100%.

^^^ Edited: He answered first. But yes, I concur.

I think you may have misread the talent in that you only looked at rank 1.

For rank 1:
    "When you critically hit with a melee weapon, you reduce the cast time of your next Lightning Bolt, Chain Lightning or Lava Burst spell by 4%. Stacks up to 5 times. Lasts 15 seconds."

This stacks to 20% cast time reduction (4% cast time reduction * 5 crits) meaning 80% final cast time.

For rank 5:
    "When you critically hit with a melee weapon, you reduce the cast time of your next Lightning Bolt, Chain Lightning or Lava Burst spell by 20%. Stacks up to 5 times. Lasts 15 seconds."

This stacks to 100% (20% cast time reduction * 5 crits) meaning 0% final cast time.
    "I'm not overpowered"

Says the Druid.
    To the rogue.
    Remarks the Ret Paladin.
    Observed by the Arcane Mage.
    As the Warlock facepalms.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account

Holy crap - I'm an idiot. I completely misread it. My apologies - I'll edit the original post now. Thanks for going easy on me this early in the morning. I'll have to get back to my correspondence course on "Careful Reading".

All mistakes aside, MW does need work.

woot, blue post about MSW usable with heals, we shall see what will come out of it

Quote Originally Posted by Koraa, class designer
    We will have it proc from Windfury soon. Also we're going to allow it to also allow you to cast heals with Maelstrom procs =)
    Instant heals would solve a lot of Shaman survivability issues. I might be tempted to go Enhancement after all if this goes live.

Maelstrom Weapon is the most useless talent in the enc shammy talent tree. First because none shammy will stop to cast a lighting bolt when he had spectral transformation, second because he does not have enough spell power to do damage with spells like elemental.
    For the Greater Good.
    www.allods.eu

from wot ive seen on Beta, Maelstrom is actually good....with 1/3 of AP as Spell Power u can still hit really hard with spells...especially given 100% crit Lava Burst from Flame shocked target. spec 21/50/0 for PvE and u will see some really big numbers and, at last, some proper Enh dps rotations making them more challenging to play.

The dead know only one thing; it is better to be alive.