Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Shield of Righteousness - Seems a bit OP?

Shield of Righteousness
    6% of base mana Melee Range
    Instant cast 6 sec cooldown
    Requires Shields
    Slam the target with your shield, causing Holy damage equal to 240% of your block value. This spell causes a high amount of threat.

Lets assume this paladin have like 1000 SBV (pulling numbers outta my ass, woo!) that'd be 2400 damage without sanctity aura and without critting.

Seems a bit much? I could be wrong, I problably am, since i'm almost clueless when it comes to paladins.

Flame away. ;p

Re: Shield of Righteousness - Seems a bit OP?

not really. + with the recent change it NO LONGER CAUSE HIGH AMMOUNT OF THREAT.

it's better than shield slam... until you consider the all the talents that help shield slam. Then they're on par.

Oho, *curses wowhead*.

Just wait for the Prot Pally stacking +Block Value to start running around the arenas. Glyph Avenger's Shield so it does double damage to a single target. Paladin runs in, leaps off his horse, chucks his shield at someone for 2000 damage so they can't run, gets within range, SotR crit for 4800 damage, judgements for 1500 damage, then insta HoW for another 2000 damage. All the while taking like 100 damage hits from the rogue that tried to chase him down. /point /laugh

Again, numbers out the butt, but they seem plausible at 80.

Deleted

At the moment, 14k crits are possible.

You are not counting the +dmg increase talents.

sanctity aura doesn't exist anymore but yes there will be lots of noses broken by shields critting them in the face
    >:7

Full Bloggage: - http://nuronv.wordpress.com
    Micro Blogs: - http://twitter.com/nuron_v

Quote Originally Posted by Stoan
    Just wait for the Prot Pally stacking +Block Value to start running around the arenas. Glyph Avenger's Shield so it does double damage to a single target. Paladin runs in, leaps off his horse, chucks his shield at someone for 2000 damage so they can't run, gets within range, SotR crit for 4800 damage, judgements for 1500 damage, then insta HoW for another 2000 damage. All the while taking like 100 damage hits from the rogue that tried to chase him down. /point /laugh

Again, numbers out the butt, but they seem plausible at 80.
    sure , and the rogues goes after 11,3k dmg down with level 80 and doesnt get a single heal cause his drood is silenced by the pallys 30 sek silence .. oh wait .. he hasnt got one

to get a so high sbv you should sacrifice all of your dodge, that isnt a thing a tank will ever do, plus you arent going to spec prot to pvp if u arent rly insane

anyway the problem is that you try to do the numbers now not counting how much more stamina you will get at lvl 80 with lvl 80 gear

just take a look at the gear http://static.mmo-champion.com/mmoc/...ladin_tank.jpg

it's loaded with SBV and Str

As a warrior I can't avoid feeling envy for the Shield of Rigteousness.
    It scales so much better than the Shield Slam and as they are sister abilities the difference shouldn't be so huge. Another advantage Shield of Righteousneshas over Shield Slam is that it deals holy damage an therefore ignores the enemy armor also paladin's sets give more shield block value that the warrior's, so you can consider Shield Slam comparatively obsolete.
    The talents to improve it are also better not taking in consideration that the base ability is better. +30% damage? yes please.

I don't really know wether if Shield of Righteousnes is OP, what I say is or not, I just claim that Shield Slam should be roughly equivalent.

Quote Originally Posted by JuQ
    As a warrior I can't avoid feeling envy for the Shield of Rigteousness.
    It scales so much better than the Shield Slam and as they are sister abilities the difference shouldn't be so huge. Another advantage Shield of Righteousneshas over Shield Slam is that it deals holy damage an therefore ignores the enemy armor also paladin's sets give more shield block value that the warrior's, so you can consider Shield Slam comparatively obsolete.
    The talents to improve it are also better not taking in consideration that the base ability is better. +30% damage? yes please.

I don't really know wether if Shield of Righteousnes is OP, what I say is or not, I just claim that Shield Slam should be roughly equivalent.
    Er mate? paladin sets feature alot of block value because paladin sets have 0 strength. a warriors threat scales with strength, as does your block value. you dont need as much bonus block value on equip to have a good block value as a tanking warrior.

however, they are changing the current tier sets so that both warrior and paladin sets feature much more strength, and the paladin sets havent lost a huge amount of block value from what I can see so I dont know if that will have to be tweaked to keep things in check? I'm assuming the lvl 80 sets will be tuned bearing in mind the changes to stats for tanking paladins.

oh and ppl will use prot in the arenas - raiders who fancy a "really nasty gladiators 1H sword/mace/thing" and dont have good pvp gear for ret/holy :P

Quote Originally Posted by Maenetus
    just take a look at the gear http://static.mmo-champion.com/mmoc/...ladin_tank.jpg

it's loaded with SBV and Str
    probably you will have a high sbv with that set, but then confront that set with the same set of someone else and you will see a high amount of spell power, or critical rating, or ap, seems normal for a 25 tier set....

yiptastic

I did a simple calculation on the gear

since we know that 2 points of strength = 1 point of BV.

If you are in a decent guild doing 25 man naxx, getting all the badges for badge gear + doing some 10 man stuff

stats without including base stats, but with talents:

AC = 22951
    Stam = 1475
    strength = 930
    Block value = 458
    defense rating = 579
    dodge rating = 250
    parry rating = 146
    block rating = 141
    expertise = 64

Basically, with 30% increase in block value from reckoning,
    the pally will have 1200 block value.

without any dmg modifier, shield of righteousness will slam for 2880 holy dmg

now with modifiers:
    1H spec (+10%), shield of the templar (+30%)
    2880 * 1.1*1.3 = 4118 holy damage (non-crit)

say it crits like spell, it will still slam for 6177 holy dmg

the gear also gives about 442.5 spell power too (ignoring base stam and buffs of course). But I don't know if that's a lot for that level... Definitely not gonna be high. But you can always sacrifice a bit of defense and strength for spell power weapon.

damn. that's a lot of dmg from shield slam.

Quote Originally Posted by yiptastic
    I did a simple calculation on the gear

since we know that 2 points of strength = 1 point of BV.
    I believe you're very wrong here...
    Well it appears you're very right! ;D

He's right, in patch 3.0 and onwards, you'll gain 1 SBV per 2 STR.

yiptastic

Quote Originally Posted by ionpath
    I believe you're very wrong here...
    They changed it.

and now get yourself ready to tank and feel the freaking power from your shield.
    /cackle

15+ Year Old Account

Unless things changed dramatically while I was afk for the past few days...

SotR hits harder. SS has things like SB to modify it.

SS is learnable at level 40? SotR is learnable at level 75.

Come 3.0, prot pallies will have a whole heap of SBV and won't be able to use it for anything other than mitigation.

this need to crit like melee, not spell, becose shield slam crit as melee, so will be same thing.

remember, shield of righteousness does not gain any benefit from SP, so doesnt matter how much SP you have, wont affect SoR.

is my calculation you can do +6k non crits with end game gear, right enchants, gems, trinkets, relics. ( of course you need to ajust this dmg then, that will be lower becose of armor reduction and resil).

OP? dont think so, we all can see +10k more crits of warriors Shield Slam on youtube.

Now we actualy will be able to see prot pallys do some damage. Maybe PVP?

yiptastic

Quote Originally Posted by Kawasaki.gdm
    this need to crit like melee, not spell, becose shield slam crit as melee, so will be same thing.

remember, shield of righteousness does not gain any benefit from SP, so doesnt matter how much SP you have, wont affect SoR.

is my calculation you can do +6k non crits with end game gear, right enchants, gems, trinkets, relics. ( of course you need to ajust this dmg then, that will be lower becose of armor reduction and resil).

OP? dont think so, we all can see +10k more crits of warriors Shield Slam on youtube.

Now we actualy will be able to see prot pallys do some damage. Maybe PVP?

oh, forgot to mention gems enchants and all those jazz...

I actually did not include base stats, gems, enchants and TRINKETs.
    God knows what trinket you use. (though I'll be pumping my stam and avoidance first)

6k non crit for SoTR is definitely reachable. as to whether it should smack like melee, I'm gonna have to reserve that. if it does, it's gonna smack for 12k crit....

MAN. THAT'S HUGE. Prot pally will pwn melee groups lol. They can't run out of mana because they parry/dodge/block like nuts. Their gear comes with hit rating, massive avoidance and stam.

Just say they wield a caster weapon for spell damage. If you walk infront of a mage and do just SoTR and hamma of Righteousness, and crit both of them, that mage will be two shotted. LMAO.

or blow that on a rogue when he is stunned, and keep using holy shield for defense.

Guys, I'm gonna try prot arena just for fun.